Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2010, 08:21 AM   #751
eldavo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 764
I think ParadoxPete may be at high elevation, there are a couple people that report abnormally terrible running, usually elevation poor tune.
The TW has a rock crawler first gear compared to many others, we have 45tooth rear here from 2001-on and it still pulls wheelies from the lights max speed at about max power 7500rpm+
USA got 50tooth rear standard.
XT225 is reputed for a very wide ratio 6 speed, that was missed by its fans when dropped for XT250 with 5 speed.
TW top speed can hold 105kph (65mph?) indicated on flat in windy conditions. Up hills is like a roller coaster, can drop to 80kph and 4th, before over top speed on the descent.
For us here we're able to run flat sea level 70mph highway zones for a tank load, before fuelling up. Elevation and hills will kill that.
If highway keep up and top speed is essential 75mph+, or want more power to lose to elevation, check out the Kawasaki Sherpa 250 air cooled 6 speed, and the XT225 with 6 speed.
If you're wealthy, the WR250X is fuel injected ;)

eldavo screwed with this post 03-05-2010 at 08:29 AM
eldavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 08:35 AM   #752
eldavo
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnenem
Just got off the phone with Clark! $210.00 for a 4 gallon tank! They said 6 to 8 weeks and they will ship!
No more carring gas in a 1 litre pepsi bottle!
Fantastic news!
Very happy they managed a 4 gallon tank.
Now who wants a 4gal XT350 tank and seat combo for the TW
Old 03-05-2010, 09:02 AM   #753
ShadyRascal
Master of None

Oddometer: 6,220
Anybody ever put an XT225 engine in a TW?

Evolution, or, natural selection, has nothing to do with better.

It merely weeds out what is no longer suitable for the given context.

Originally Posted by Dragoon

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.
ShadyRascal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 11:26 AM   #754
dynamos2000
is boinking your mom

Oddometer: 1,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmaaa
Just out of curiousity.. how tall are you TW owners? im 6'3 and looking at this mule, but if its gon feel like a pit bike i dont wanna get one. this would be the perfect bike for college in the north ga mountains next year though. the appalachian trail is within 15 mins of the campus
I'm 5'11 and it fits me perfect, I think you'd need to look at another lil dual sport personally
Old 03-05-2010, 08:05 PM   #755
Streamin' E
Half-assed adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdreama
I just picked up a 2001 TW200 last week for my son's 15th birthday next month and I have read this whole thread to get acquainted with the little beast. The posts related to cooling really interested me since these guys seem to run pretty hot.

Anyway, I bought an oil cooler off of Ebay for $19.95 plus $6.50 shipping and I hope to make it work for the TW. The guy has more...just search Ebay for "motorcycle oil cooler". Here is the pic from his listing.

Received my oil cooler yesterday; thanks for the tip. The link for the Japanese sidecover to make it all work converts to about $120. I wonder what it would actually cost to get it here?
Freedom is not simply the right of intellectuals to circulate their merchandise. It is, above all, the right of ordinary people to find elbow room for themselves and a refuge from the rampaging presumptions of their “betters.”- Tom Sowell
Streamin' E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 03:41 AM   #756
ausfahrt
mach schnell

Oddometer: 1,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streamin' E
Received my oil cooler yesterday; thanks for the tip. The link for the Japanese sidecover to make it all work converts to about $120. I wonder what it would actually cost to get it here?
With shipping I think it works to about $150.00 and they said an order of 10+ units would get a 10% discount...not really worth the trouble. This is a little more than I had planned but I will probably order the cover eventually.

Keep us posted.

You can always count on the Americans to do the right thing, after they have tried everything else.
-Winston Churchill
ausfahrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 06:59 AM   #757
Lee Dodge
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyRascal
Anybody ever put an XT225 engine in a TW?

It's been discussed on the TW forum. It will physically bolt into the frame but the sprockets won't line up due to the wide wheel and there's no easy way to solve the problem. The xt tranny won't go into the tw case and extending the xt output shaft involves making a very expensive custom output shaft.
Lee Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 09:01 PM   #758
Hodakaguy
NorthWest Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 2,049
Thought I would post up a few pics of the extra fuel tank that my father and I are making for our TW.

Here's a few pics of the tank sitting where it will be mounted. I'm going to add some bars on the sides so straps can easily be attached to the tank. I plan on packing a large dry bag on top of the tank when we take our long cross country trip with it. I made an aluminum plate to attach to the top of the tank for that purpose but I don't think it will really be necessary.

I decided on this setup since I really like the looks of the stock fuel tank ( I know a aftermarket tank is in the works for the TW's but the stock one just looks best IMHO) and I'll only need the tank on long cross country trips, Most of the time the stock capacity is fine. The tank will be easily removable when not needed. It will clamp to the bars with 4 mount points (yet to be welded onto the bike) and the tank will have it's own petcock so you will be able to reach back and turn on the reserve tank while in motion. The tank has baffles inside it to keep the fuel from sloshing around. I'd have to calculate the capacity again to make sure but I think it was around 2.5 gallons...Double the stock fuel range!

Since the last update I've also added in two more stabilizing bars under the top part of the tank (just visible in the 2nd pic below). I welded two tabs onto the subframe and make the new stabilizer bars bolt at the attach point so the rack can still be easily removed.

Now I just need the time to get it finished up

Hodakaguy
And Then There Were Four - OR RR: CLICK HERE
My VW Syncro Westy Build Thread: CLICK HERE

Hodakaguy screwed with this post 03-06-2010 at 09:24 PM
Hodakaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 06:38 AM   #759
dynamos2000
is boinking your mom

I did my 1st real stupid thing while workin on my tdub this wkend. Put on the 47 tooth sprocket but didn't have the wheel aligned correctly so 3' from my garage, the chain slips and puts a semi-deep scratch in the new sprocket (hoping I can sand that tooth, its decently low on the tooth).

Anyway, gonna have the local dealership (wont call them a stealership here, good folks) to pick her up and put on the new chain I purchased and ensure I didn't screw up anything else. Damn you Captain Morgan.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:18 PM   #760
Colemanfu
King of all manfu

Oddometer: 3,419
Ho - that bike is set up for some long haul truckin! You sure can haul some gear and now some extra range. I like the idea of the fuel switch on the go as well as the baffles. Well done, I loved working on stuff with my pops.

Here is a pix from my ride to work this morning. My TW is an "around town" bike - only ADV is seeing how much crap I can load on the rack. hehe

Holly Hill FL sunrise 3/9/10 Riverside Drive 1998 TW200
Old 03-10-2010, 06:44 AM   #761
dynamos2000
is boinking your mom

Shield

About to get a shield for the lil guy, what are you guys using with the standard square headlight and plastic around it?

National deflector has been a great shield on previous bikes but I no longer have it, not interested in the mini "jimbo".
Old 03-10-2010, 06:58 AM   #762
eldavo
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamos2000
not interested in the mini "jimbo".
have you tried it?
Old 03-10-2010, 09:33 AM   #763
dynamos2000
is boinking your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldavo
have you tried it?
No I just want a lil more coverage for the chilly mornings
Old 03-10-2010, 10:03 AM   #764
eldavo
Studly Adventurer

Not joking, but check out shields for scooters, especially what the average European gets around on. They take weather sheltered legs in standard fairing design, then step it up with serious screens. This is an example from Florence at height of summer... streets of scooters parked everywhere like this.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:32 AM   #765
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgizmow
Have posted this before, and have recently made an upgrade to the 'design', You can put together a "duel range" drive system for the TW and get a 'pretty good' spread without changing chain length. I run a 14/55 and a 15/50. It takes me longer to pull my tools than to do the ratio swap. Two primary sprockets and two final drive (one split). Gerry
Gerry,

That's genius!