Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2010, 08:13 AM   #781
Solomoriah
likes the back roads

Oddometer: 387
I dislike the vibration level at 50+ on my TW; if you're going on the highway, swapping the rear sprocket will cut that some. You might have to drop a gear with a headwind or up steep hills, though.
Solomoriah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 09:06 AM   #782
PHeller
newb

Oddometer: 91
It's a 1991.

What jet would be suitable for the older carbs?

I've seen some conflicting info on the gearing. Some people gear down saying the bike has more grunt at lower RPMs to push the bike to a faster overall speed, but it makes it buzzy. Other say to go a larger sprocket to cut the vibration, but then struggles a bit on climbs and what not.

I haven't actually bought the bike yet, more or less doing pre-purchase research.

I'm also eying a 98 XR650L, but there is a $750 price difference and the TW is closer to my budget (which is actually nothing).
PHeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 10:00 AM   #783
GoNOW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,525
I have a little '89 that is my in town run-about. I found a 15-45 sprocket combo is about perfect. Top speed with the wind at my back is 70MPH, but its much more happy at 55MPH. Some of the expressways are 65MPH and it can do that, with a bit of buzzing.

The TW200 has a lot of power for it's size and I don't have any problems climbing hills with the 15-45 combo. I also get about 65MPG around town regardless of how hard I push it.
GoNOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 11:38 AM   #784
treybrad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHeller
It's a 1991.

What jet would be suitable for the older carbs?

I've seen some conflicting info on the gearing. Some people gear down saying the bike has more grunt at lower RPMs to push the bike to a faster overall speed, but it makes it buzzy. Other say to go a larger sprocket to cut the vibration, but then struggles a bit on climbs and what not.

I haven't actually bought the bike yet, more or less doing pre-purchase research.

I'm also eying a 98 XR650L, but there is a $750 price difference and the TW is closer to my budget (which is actually nothing).
Well, I just bought my '97, so I'm no expert, but in the last month I've had it I've been trying to sort out the jetting. Me and another guy on the TW board are working on it:

http://tw200forum.com/forums/88964/ShowPost.aspx

http://tw200forum.com/forums/91825/ShowPost.aspx

Right now I'm at a 120 main with the needle spaced up with a small washer and it's still a touch lean at WOT. I have a 122 and 124 main on the way which should fix me up. Mine pinged like a madman with the stock 114 main.

I've also swapped out my front sprocket with a 15t, leaving the stock 45t out back. Helps a lot on my commute to work. Top speed isn't all that much better, but it does drop the revs a bit.

If you're going to be doing much hwy (65+ mph), you'll be glad you spent the extra $750 on the XR, IMO. The TW can manage 65-70mph, but it's much happier at 55-60mph.

trey
Old 03-25-2010, 09:48 AM   #785
dynamos2000
is boinking your mom

Oddometer: 1,560
I punted the work to my dealership and will be picking up this week - 47 tooth sprocket, 132.5 jet, idle mix. screw backed out 2.5 turns and I have to tell you the fmf power core just makes the lil guy sound just right. hopin the jet evens out going down some teeth as its main job is to commute and look good
Old 03-25-2010, 11:15 AM   #786
City Man
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Laugh

I have been reading the posts for some time and thought it time to thank you good people for the good information that you all are sharing. I have been riding motorcycles for over thirty five years but the 2009 TW200 is my first on\off road motorcycle. I am of course having a blast on the bike. I also own a 2003 HD Road Glide. A fine bike for on road travels. I have found that the fun factor of the TW to is just plan excellent fun.
City Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 05:27 AM   #787
Coopdway
Curiouser

Oddometer: 696
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Man
......... I have found that the fun factor of the TW to is just plan excellent fun.
I couldn't agree more. The right mindset and the right roads......I know I'm in my happy place.
-----------------------------
Coop's Corner
Coopdway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 06:38 AM   #788
Macadam Drifter
Explorer of the Backroads

Oddometer: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coopdway
I couldn't agree more. The right mindset and the right roads......I know I'm in my happy place.
The Great River Road from Lake Itasca to New Orleans would a nice TW200 route. It would require some planning in the St Paul/Minneapolis area in order to avoid freeways and remain on surface streets.

But last summer I did a section from Lake Itasca to Wolford, MN stayed mostly on dirt roads-an enjoyable ride.

Also someone posted a RR regarding the Yellowstone Trail this too looks like a good TW200 route E/W or W/E between Plymouth, Mass to Puget Sound Washington. Their are some sections that will require rerouting because of freeways but overall a pretty good route -lots of things to see.

MkD

Macadam Drifter screwed with this post 04-01-2010 at 07:00 AM
Macadam Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 06:56 AM   #789
Macadam Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by treybrad
Well, I just bought my '97, so I'm no expert, but in the last month I've had it I've been trying to sort out the jetting. Me and another guy on the TW board are working on it:

http://tw200forum.com/forums/88964/ShowPost.aspx

http://tw200forum.com/forums/91825/ShowPost.aspx

Right now I'm at a 120 main with the needle spaced up with a small washer and it's still a touch lean at WOT. I have a 122 and 124 main on the way which should fix me up. Mine pinged like a madman with the stock 114 main.

I've also swapped out my front sprocket with a 15t, leaving the stock 45t out back. Helps a lot on my commute to work. Top speed isn't all that much better, but it does drop the revs a bit.

If you're going to be doing much hwy (65+ mph), you'll be glad you spent the extra $750 on the XR, IMO. The TW can manage 65-70mph, but it's much happier at 55-60mph.

trey
Trey,

The stock jet used in most new TWs is a 128 and this jet seems to work fine from sea level to 10,000 feet. That's been my experience-I have a 2007 TW.

Since you live at lower elevations I suggest you try a #130. Currently I'm living at 2000 feet (most of my riding is at elevations from sea level to 4500 feet). I removed the 128 and installed a 130 it works just fine. Also, I have 5 shims under the needle, and the air screw is set at 2 1/4 turns out.

FYI: The riders in Colorado who ride in the Rockys above 10,000 feet run 118 and 120 jets in their TWs. (At 10-12,000 feet the max horsepower the TW200 can deliver at full throttle is approximately 8hp because of air density). You loose about 10% of your horsepower for every 1000-1200 feet of elevation you gain at full throttle (assuming you are naturally aspirated-ie not turbocharged). But the main jet cannot adjust for this change in air density (there is no mixture control on our carbs) so the fuel-air mixture gets richer as altitude increases and you loose even more horsepower and the plugs start to foul-that's why a leaner jet is used at elevation (ie 118 or 120 at high elevations 10K plus). That's why fuel injection is so nice it can adjust fuel mixture for altitude and reduce the risk of plug fouling.

So---If your at sea level and have a 120 jet that seems to me to be way to lean and this too will mean lost horsepower as well.

Good Luck on your jetting project.

MkD

Macadam Drifter screwed with this post 04-01-2010 at 07:04 AM
Old 04-01-2010, 09:27 AM   #790
treybrad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macadam Drifter
Trey,

The stock jet used in most new TWs is a 128 and this jet seems to work fine from sea level to 10,000 feet. That's been my experience-I have a 2007 TW.

Since you live at lower elevations I suggest you try a #130. Currently I'm living at 2000 feet (most of my riding is at elevations from sea level to 4500 feet). I removed the 128 and installed a 130 it works just fine. Also, I have 5 shims under the needle, and the air screw is set at 2 1/4 turns out.

FYI: The riders in Colorado who ride in the Rockys above 10,000 feet run 118 and 120 jets in their TWs. (At 10-12,000 feet the max horsepower the TW200 can deliver at full throttle is approximately 8hp because of air density). You loose about 10% of your horsepower for every 1000-1200 feet of elevation you gain at full throttle (assuming you are naturally aspirated-ie not turbocharged). But the main jet cannot adjust for this change in air density (there is no mixture control on our carbs) so the fuel-air mixture gets richer as altitude increases and you loose even more horsepower and the plugs start to foul-that's why a leaner jet is used at elevation (ie 118 or 120 at high elevations 10K plus). That's why fuel injection is so nice it can adjust fuel mixture for altitude and reduce the risk of plug fouling.

So---If your at sea level and have a 120 jet that seems to me to be way to lean and this too will mean lost horsepower as well.

Good Luck on your jetting project.

MkD
That all sounds right for the '01+ bikes with the CV carb, but the older bikes have a completely different carb, a non-CV round slide Tekei carb. Stock jet is a 114 on these.

I've actually gone to a #124 main, which seems ludicrous to go 10 sizes up, but it works, very well. I think being at sea level, plus all the ethanol laced gasoline I'm forced to use makes the bike run very lean. I'm happy for now, I'm watching to see what kind of MPG I get on this tank, but I have no complaints about how it's running.

trey
Old 04-01-2010, 09:51 AM   #791
Solomoriah
likes the back roads

Oddometer: 387
I'm running the #130 at around 500' altitude with good results. 0.03" under the needle, 2 1/2 turns on the screw.
Solomoriah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 11:01 AM   #792
badweatherbiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 698
I want one of those TW"s!
badweatherbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 01:26 PM   #793
Macadam Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by treybrad
That all sounds right for the '01+ bikes with the CV carb, but the older bikes have a completely different carb, a non-CV round slide Tekei carb. Stock jet is a 114 on these.

I've actually gone to a #124 main, which seems ludicrous to go 10 sizes up, but it works, very well. I think being at sea level, plus all the ethanol laced gasoline I'm forced to use makes the bike run very lean. I'm happy for now, I'm watching to see what kind of MPG I get on this tank, but I have no complaints about how it's running.

trey

On the older TWs any chance of installing one of the newer carbs or ???? Cost/fit issues??? Just too much hassle???

Mike
Old 04-01-2010, 03:05 PM   #794
timk519
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,377
Has anyone tried fitting a Dial A Jet from Thunder Products to a TW200? I've used them with great success on my Valkyrie - both for performance and ease of adjustment when changing altitude (just turn a dial - or in the valk's case - 6 dials. :).
Old 04-01-2010, 08:42 PM   #795
Coopdway
Curiouser

Oddometer: 696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macadam Drifter
The Great River Road from Lake Itasca to New Orleans would a nice TW200 route. It would require some planning in the St Paul/Minneapolis area in order to avoid freeways and remain on surface streets.

But last summer I did a section from Lake Itasca to Wolford, MN stayed mostly on dirt roads-an enjoyable ride.

Also someone posted a RR regarding the Yellowstone Trail this too looks like a good TW200 route E/W or W/E between Plymouth, Mass to Puget Sound Washington. Their are some sections that will require rerouting because of freeways but overall a pretty good route -lots of things to see.

MkD
All true and as far as routing for TW200 riding, it really doesn't take that much, most places anyway. I'm riding further and further from home, but then I'm here in flyover land.

Yellowstone Trail you say?? Gramp wrote this back in the mid-70's.

-----------------------------
Coop's Corner
Coopdway is online now   Reply With Quote