User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2010, 08:11 AM   #826
Warren
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
I run a 47 tooth in the rear.

This makes 60-65 very comfortable and puts the TW in a very good area for power. You can run there all day long and not hurt this motor.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=575280

This also allows you to run at 50 in 4th gear and keeps it in a happy place - Which happens a lot if you are pulling hills or bucking headwinds...

Here is an online calculator for the TW - And by the way the TW is fine in the 7K-8K range - That's where it develops it's best power/torque:

http://www.it-ideas.net/bike/calc.htm

-- Click Here For My Free KLR 650 Valve Adjustment Shim Calculator --
Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 06:21 PM   #827
bdmmotard
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Just past 10k miles!

and did a valve adjustment for the first time, wrench free bike!
bdmmotard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 01:30 PM   #828
rm_hm
Logging Road Cruiser

Oddometer: 169
New 2010 TW review is out

http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/model_eval/2010FebTW.pdf
N46 39.164 / W121 35.020
N47 19' 24.73" / W123 16' 23.73"
rm_hm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:32 AM   #829
Warren
Gnarly Adventurer

TW200 Ride Report

Old 05-13-2010, 05:46 PM   #830
NC Dirt Rider
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Heres ole girl with a fresh new front high fender bracket and fender and a custom headlight and stiffer front forks, not really sure why I like this thing so much, kinda reminds me of the ole Big Wheel Yamaha I wanted so bad as a kid, this thing is just fun as hell to ride oh yea, jetted up and uncorked, its quicker then you think!

NC Dirt Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 05:51 PM   #831
ShadyRascal
Master of None

Oddometer: 6,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Dirt Rider

Oh now that just looks badass!

Evolution, or, natural selection, has nothing to do with better.

It merely weeds out what is no longer suitable for the given context.

Originally Posted by Dragoon

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.
ShadyRascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 06:09 PM   #832
Colemanfu
King of all manfu

Oddometer: 3,385
NC DR - off road only?
Old 05-13-2010, 11:21 PM   #833
budk
OleScoot

Oddometer: 101
The New TW 200

Hello All,

I have a Yamaha T Max that now has over 16000 miles of touring in AZ and adjoining states. It does the job extremely well and I really enjoy it.........BUT... I kept going by these nice dirt roads/trails and wondering what was there.. You all know what I mean!!

A small DS bike was my goal and I looked into the Yama XT250, but, found an 05 TW that was already well equipped with less than 4k miles.. I grabbed it and could not be more pleased. I have put about 1200 miles on the TW since I bought it at the end of March.. .

I just want to say how much I appreciate the kind/knowledgeable folks on this list as well as the TW Thumper thread over on ADV Rider. I learned more about the TW in a couple weeks reading than I could have in two yrs of riding!

Thanks, for your help!! I will be posting up a report of a trip I just took down to SE AZ, little over 600miles, great time no problems!

I really love this little mule!

BudK
budk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 11:25 PM   #834
budk
OleScoot

Oddometer: 101
SE AZ on the TW200

Hello All,

Most might think, "what was he thinking", but I was pretty impressed with my recently purchased 2005 Yamaha TW 200 and decided to see how the DualSport description held up!
I normally would take my Yamaha Tmax on road trips, but one reason I bought the TW was to see what was down the many dirt/unimproved roads that are pretty much prohibited on the T Max and are very prevalent here in AZ!!

So, off we went on Day 1, from Rio Verde down to Willcox, AZ where we Super8'ed over night. Went thru Superior and down 177 to Winkelman then to San Manuel an old mining town where I asked a local about the road down the San Pedro River valley and over to Willcox... He reported a fair road but "take plenty of water, gas and watch for the cows"!!

The road was fair and the cows were there!!.. Didn't need gas and the Camelbak kept me hydrated. Arrived Willcox with out incident and looked around a bit but didn't find much.. So,supper and bed. Here are some pics.. A map of SE AZ or Google Earth would help you follow along.

http://picasaweb.google.com/budk88/20100504SEAZTWRide#

Day 2
Off Willcox at 730 and headed down the 186 toward the Chiricahaua Nat'l Monument(CNM). About half way, a dirt road turns off to the NE and leads up over Apache Pass. The road follows along an old Butterfield Stage route and site of some battles with the local Apache. Ft Bowie is about a mile and half off the road to South and is reached after a bit of a hike. (Not in Moto gear!) Will do it next time. Ft. Bowie is the ruins of an old Cavalry post that was instrumental in chasing/catching Geronimo and Cochise.
I rode back down to the 186 and proceeded on to CNM while taking in the wonderful vistas of this beautiful land!...

CNM is worth a journey! A beautiful park area with amazing rock formations and a hiker's paradise with many well maintained trails throughout. Being an old Cavalryman myself, walking is not my best thing...I did do a 1/2 mile around Massi Point! Whee! CNM is a unique area that is perfect for Motos of all kinds/shapes. Ride out there!

After a rest/lunch atop CNM at Massi point, rode back down and over to the junction with Pinery Canyon Road. 26 miles of dirt that runs up the SW shoulder of the Chiricahaua Mts... A wonderfully interesting road for DS and dirt bikes. Thru mt streams and up into heavy pine forest one descends into the Cave Creek canyon and on into Portal AZ, which is a story of it's own..

Portal was stop for night and I arrived around 2pm and made a run over to Rodeo, NM (10 miles) for gas. Portal is a nature lover/bird watcher's paradise in a most beautiful and relaxing setting. I walked around the area that evening and watched the birdwatchers watch the birds! http://www.portalpeaklodge.com/
If you like peace and quiet (they even have a good cook) Portal could do it for you. Pics....

http://picasaweb.google.com/budk88/2...IWnxoLphLyS2AE#

Day 3

Weather was great the whole trip. low 60s, high 80s, but winds were forecast to pick up today and would be out of West SW at 25 gusting... Well, on a TW you need to plan cross country rides about like for a Piper Cub!! Any wind on the nose and you are working to maintain 50 mph on level pavement! (I know, a Cub has trouble maintaing 50 in any wind!! :-) )
I had originally planned to ride out of Portal and go N up the dirt trails to San Simon, Bowie, and on to the 191 toward Safford. Well this would be into the teeth of the wind, So I elected to go back over Pinery Canyon ( Good fun! ) and on back to Willcox and do a short 10 mile shot on the I-1O with the wind at my back! It worked out well until I was headed home from Globe along the 60..but, the TW did well .. it held it's own!!

Off Portal at 815am, after great breakfast at the "Lodge" and headed back thru Cave Creek Cyn and over the Pinery. My camera had filled the card yesterday so I missed some good shots on the Pinery road coming over but I was able to get a few going back over that morning.
So, back down to Willcox and had a gas/rest stop. I don't mind retracing my routes occasionally.. things always look differant from the other direction!.

Got on the I-10 at Willcox headed E with 25 mph wind on my tail for a short 10 mile run to pick up the 191 and turn N to Safford. Well, the little 196cc TW loved that tail wind and the gps recorded a high speed for the day of 71!!! Anyway, enough fun... Went on up to Swift Trail junction with originall plan of going up to explore MT Graham.. decided that I wanted to get back to Rio Verde and with the head wind I would be facing going west I would leave Swift Trail for another day..(soon!!)

So on to Safford and a gas/ rest and then to Globe for a Mexican lunch at one of the best mexican food places I know.
Full of gas and fuel...off we went into the teeth of the gale and made our way back into Rio Verde at 430....

Great riide! Some pics..

http://picasaweb.google.com/budk88/2...CJyk5_r1w9jYVg#

Some thoughts..

2005 TW 200 5200 miles. 14/47 sprockets

Did about 650 miles, used no oil, no flats, no mechanical problems, and got over 70mpg... TW was loaded with about 250lbs of me and gear.
Tire pressure was 22/25 and I didn't bother to lower. TW didn't seem to care!
Used sheep skin seat cover and stood up some..but it was not as bad as I thought it would be compared with the T Max.
Must say I was more tired at the end of each day than a 350 mile or so on the T Max.. but the dirt requires more attention and all the bouncing around gets to the old bones!

As we all know, all forms of transport vehicles are a compromise. There is NO perfect Motorcycle for all things. but, that said, the little TW, at the bottom of the moto food chain, does one hell of a job at providing a fun ride over a myriad of roads at a very attractive cost!! Patience does help!

All pavement, long trip, sure, it's the Tmax. Fast, nimble, comfortable, quiet with storage.......BUT.... forget about ....."I wonder what's down that dirt road"

BudK

Remember to take water, gas, and watch for the cows!!!!
budk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 03:33 AM   #835
NC Dirt Rider
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Thanks fellas, yep, I only ride this one offroad, I've had far to many close calls, to many crazy drivers on the highway!
NC Dirt Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 08:12 PM   #836
villageidiot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,371
just sat and read all 56 pages of this thread. hoping to close the deal on a 2005 tw tomorrow. looking forward to some local touring thru back country and canyons and dirt roads here in so cal.

thanks for the awesome forum.

Colby
villageidiot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 11:29 AM   #837
Warren
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot
just sat and read all 56 pages of this thread. hoping to close the deal on a 2005 tw tomorrow. looking forward to some local touring thru back country and canyons and dirt roads here in so cal.

thanks for the awesome forum.

Colby
Excellent Colby! Keep us posted!

Old 05-16-2010, 11:30 AM   #838
Warren
Gnarly Adventurer

Another TW200 Ride Report:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12951415#post12951415

Old 05-16-2010, 05:21 PM   #839
villageidiot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,371
Closed the deal, Pickin up the bike tomorro. As said before its a 2005 tw200, has only 260 miles on it, got a great deal i think at 2200 dollars. wish it were black and silver, but its dark blue and black.

thanks for all the great info.

Warren, your ride reports are amazing!!
villageidiot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 05:27 PM   #840
Warren
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot
Closed the deal, Pickin up the bike tomorro. As said before its a 2005 tw200, has only 260 miles on it, got a great deal i think at 2200 dollars. wish it were black and silver, but its dark blue and black.

thanks for all the great info.

Warren, your ride reports are amazing!!
Awesome! Few things to check...

Look to see that the clutch return spring is on correctly (search the TW200 forum and you'll see) and make sure the battery vent tube is routed down the right side of the frame through the eyelet and out the bottom. Sometimes it is either missing or routed on top of the transmission housing - You definitely don't want it ever burping there!