Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2010, 09:09 PM   #856
roguesteelheader
Thumperhumper

Oddometer: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelie Nelson
I figured I would add my pics to this thread.

2009 with a TurboCity rear rack, a Cortech Sport Tailbag, TTR225 stainless header, FMF pipe (the new one made for the TW200), a Jimbo shield, a white front fender, Fiamm HK9 horn, D2moto foot pegs, 14/45 gearing and an o-ring chain. I plan on getting a Clarke tank when it's out, and adding some new bars.

That is just what I had in mind for the TW I am picking up tomorrow. Nice build.
Pete
06 TW 200 Yamaha
1996 Honda Magna Red
roguesteelheader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 10:22 AM   #857
roguesteelheader
Thumperhumper

Got them home

The pair

the 06
[
the 07
06 TW 200 Yamaha
1996 Honda Magna Red
Old 05-21-2010, 02:24 PM   #858
Wheelie Nelson
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
great looking bikes!

06 and 07 are the best looking years of the TW, imo.
Wheelie Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 10:54 PM   #859
roguesteelheader
Thumperhumper

Thanks I have been busy sorting out problems from sitting. But I am pleased at how they are starting to come around. The 07 is giving me some grief with a lean carb symptom with it needing lots of choke and rough idel. Any thoughts? I am thinking the carb needs cleaned out from sitting. I installed battery tenders on both yesterday after I had to replace a battery. They are a bit spendy!
Now if the weather would co operate and quit raining and snowing I want to ride!
06 TW 200 Yamaha
1996 Honda Magna Red
Old 05-21-2010, 11:07 PM   #860
Warren
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguesteelheader
Thanks I have been busy sorting out problems from sitting. But I am pleased at how they are starting to come around. The 07 is giving me some grief with a lean carb symptom with it needing lots of choke and rough idel. Any thoughts? I am thinking the carb needs cleaned out from sitting. I installed battery tenders on both yesterday after I had to replace a battery. They are a bit spendy!
Now if the weather would co operate and quit raining and snowing I want to ride!
Yea, probably a carb clean... Try some Seafoam first and see if that'll clear it up, probably about 1/3 can in a full tank or so...

Then if that doesn't do it you'll have to pull her apart.

Oh. also, turn the idle mixture screw out to about 2-2.5 turns - Makes a big difference...

-- Click Here For My Free KLR 650 Valve Adjustment Shim Calculator --
Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 11:09 PM   #861
Warren
Gnarly Adventurer

Thought I'd show off the new Denali bags:

Old 05-21-2010, 11:09 PM   #862
eldavo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 764
They seem to be a cold blooded beast anyway, with a definite distinction between cold "I don't want to play" and operating temp "throw anything at me".
Some people choose to have a richer idle circuit by adjusting out the pilot fuel screw a bit more, and like that they can start it without choke.
My preference is use the choke for what it's there for, and have a better idle tune for operating temperature.
Finger grip replacement pilot fuel screws are good so you can adjust it on the day in combination with your idle... if there's a little BMW rider in you ;)
I've adjusted mine at one service, but just 1/8th richer than ideal at the time, and I stick to using the choke.
I'd love to use some seafoam if we had it downunder, just one of those things you're keeping to yourselves :)
Old 05-22-2010, 06:14 AM   #863
Solomoriah
likes the back roads

Oddometer: 387
Cold blooded... huh. Mine's not as cold-blooded as its owner.
Solomoriah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 09:56 AM   #864
NC Dirt Rider
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Just curious as I know there are many of us on here that are members over on TWforums, anyone know why the site is down today?
Old 05-22-2010, 10:21 AM   #865
rm_hm
Logging Road Cruiser

Oddometer: 169
The other site just seems to do that every couple of weeks. Normally goes back up after half a day.
Critical Error: Unknown Community Site

The Community Server site "tw200forum.com/tw200" was not found.
Community Server supports multiple communities within a single database and each community must be setup and configured separately. If you have not configured any communities, you can do so using the 'New Community Server Site Wizard'. Please see the readme.txt file for more details.

I've been thinking about getting a powercore 4, Maybe with the optional silencer. Lord knows when the mythical clarke tanks will see the light of day. Remember the movie "money pit" where all the contractors keep telling Tom Hanks his home will be finished in "two weeks"?
Anyway do any of you have some butt dyno reviews to share?

Or is this pipe it just another way to flush some cash.

The fmf site has great things to say about performance improvement, but in the past I have heard that the low end takes a hit, you'll have to rejet & ect ect.
N46 39.164 / W121 35.020
N47 19' 24.73" / W123 16' 23.73"

rm_hm screwed with this post 05-25-2010 at 02:21 PM
rm_hm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 10:28 AM   #866
villageidiot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguesteelheader
i bought mine last week, an 06 with 260 miles on it, it would hadlry run at idle until fully warmed up. i took the carb off, the bowl was clean, however the pilot jet was plugged almost solid. poked it out with a wire brush quill.

mine also seemed very lean while running, backpopping on decel, and just not seeming right. i drilled the main jet 3 drill sizes higher, tanking it to the equivelant of a 132 (yamaha dealer wanted 16 bucks for a jet, and it would have taken 2 weeks to get)

my results are a bike that fires up with no choke, and is instanlty ready to go.
villageidiot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 11:11 AM   #867
Wheelie Nelson
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm_hm
The fmf site has great things to say about performance improvement, but in the past I have heard that the low end takes a hit, you'll have to rejet & ect ect.
I put the FMF on mine and rode it around a little bit before I did carb work. It ran the same as stock to me. It was louder, but felt about the same.

After shimming the carb needle, putting in a 132.5 jet, and backing the pilot screw out to 2.5 turns, it became a different motorcycle.

Had I known how much improvement there would be, I would have done this the day I got it. Mine was extremely lean from the factory and took 3-5 minutes to warm up. Now, it fires right up and runs so much better.

I also drilled the slide hole out with a 1/8" bit. It made a huge difference in throttle response.

I highly recommend the FMF pipe and doing the carb mods needed to anyone who owns a TW. It made it a much more fun ride.
Old 05-22-2010, 11:20 AM   #868
Warren
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelie Nelson
I put the FMF on mine and rode it around a little bit before I did carb work. It ran the same as stock to me. It was louder, but felt about the same.

After shimming the carb needle, putting in a 132.5 jet, and backing the pilot screw out to 2.5 turns, it became a different motorcycle.

Had I known how much improvement there would be, I would have done this the day I got it. Mine was extremely lean from the factory and took 3-5 minutes to warm up. Now, it fires right up and runs so much better.

I also drilled the slide hole out with a 1/8" bit. It made a huge difference in throttle response.

I highly recommend the FMF pipe and doing the carb mods needed to anyone who owns a TW. It made it a much more fun ride.
How has it affected your miles-per-gallon?

Old 05-22-2010, 11:50 AM   #869
Wheelie Nelson
Adventurer

I have noticed a small drop in mpgs.

I ride the same route every day to work, and I put exactly 20 miles on my TW each day.

My speed is pretty consistent, and stock I was usually hitting reserve between 85-90 miles on the trip odometer. Now I'm hitting reserve between 75-85 miles.

The first week, I hit reserve at 73 miles, but that was because my riding pattern had changed with the louder exhaust (I enjoyed playing with the throttle and my new found throttle response!)

I have been more tame lately, and the last week I rode it, I hit reserve at 83 miles.

I don't have any observations about the effect on mpg at higher speeds; I usually keep it under 50.
Old 05-22-2010, 04:48 PM   #870
roguesteelheader
Thumperhumper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
Yea, probably a carb clean... Try some Seafoam first and see if that'll clear it up, probably about 1/3 can in a full tank or so...

Then if that doesn't do it you'll have to pull her apart.

Oh. also, turn the idle mixture screw out to about 2-2.5 turns - Makes a big difference...
I pulled the carb apart and cleaned it. It seems good now. My carbs do not look adjustable. Is there a trick.
Pete
06 TW 200 Yamaha
1996 Honda Magna Red