Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2009, 05:57 PM   #16
Donster OP
No trick too cheap

Oddometer: 557
All good points. Scratching it off the list...
Donster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 11:44 PM   #17
sideshow
debaser

Oddometer: 2,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donster
All good points. Scratching it off the list...
I wouldn't. What are you looking for in the bike?

The GT has a few add-ons over the RS's (heated seat, electric windshield (IIRC), and a few plastic trim parts). And the RS bikes are a steal, for sure. I've seen some hard to pass up deals in the sub 7K with less than 20K! Aftermarket takes care of the cramped bars, and too-sporty (if you think) pegs. Barbacks made the bike go from unrideable to rideable for a 6'4" guy I know. Lowering kit helped the knees. The two-position seat also helps this, yet most non-owners are unaware of the feature.

People will complain about low-speed weight and the iABS leaving you without brakes when the key isn't on. While both true, they shouldn't be a deal breaker. Plenty of them out there waiting to be run up to 100,000 with very little maintenance. I've yet to hear of the '02-04 K1200RS/GT have a final drive failure. Three gears to 100mph. It's not 1100XX fast, but it's certainly a more exciting powerband than the FJR offers. The new GT chassis made these 'outdated.' They are a bit heavier, but they'll cross statelines with ease, and can do it comfortably with a few aftermarket add-ons. Solid design, IMO. A friend has 100K on his. I rode it last fall and it felt like it had 5K miles on it. So tight compared to my R-bike with almost-equivalent miles -- which is showing its age from a decade's engine vibrations.

Weighty, but stable and smooth. But I wouldn't throw it out entirely. Lots of bike for the dough. Test rides will help decide.
sideshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 05:08 AM   #18
Donster OP
No trick too cheap

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideshow
I wouldn't. What are you looking for in the bike?

The GT has a few add-ons over the RS's (heated seat, electric windshield (IIRC), and a few plastic trim parts). And the RS bikes are a steal, for sure. I've seen some hard to pass up deals in the sub 7K with less than 20K! Aftermarket takes care of the cramped bars, and too-sporty (if you think) pegs. Barbacks made the bike go from unrideable to rideable for a 6'4" guy I know. Lowering kit helped the knees. The two-position seat also helps this, yet most non-owners are unaware of the feature.

People will complain about low-speed weight and the iABS leaving you without brakes when the key isn't on. While both true, they shouldn't be a deal breaker. Plenty of them out there waiting to be run up to 100,000 with very little maintenance. I've yet to hear of the '02-04 K1200RS/GT have a final drive failure. Three gears to 100mph. It's not 1100XX fast, but it's certainly a more exciting powerband than the FJR offers. The new GT chassis made these 'outdated.' They are a bit heavier, but they'll cross statelines with ease, and can do it comfortably with a few aftermarket add-ons. Solid design, IMO. A friend has 100K on his. I rode it last fall and it felt like it had 5K miles on it. So tight compared to my R-bike with almost-equivalent miles -- which is showing its age from a decade's engine vibrations.

Weighty, but stable and smooth. But I wouldn't throw it out entirely. Lots of bike for the dough. Test rides will help decide.
My dealer is always pushing stuff on me to test ride -- I'm not sure, but I think they want to sell me something -- so I may have to give this one a go. Doing a little research, I was surprised to find out how heavy it was -- something like 640 lb dry. If it has a high CG as some else said, that could make it a handful in low speed manuveurs. Just to look at it, I wouldn't have guessed that much.

Also, my bike has iABS, and I like this feature a lot. I have brakes with the key off; I just have to squeeze harder.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:28 AM   #19
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,984
Doesn't hurt to take it for a spin. It's been a while but I remember thinking that the bike handled quite well for its class. And you'll love the motor.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 06:09 AM   #20
FlagRS
Gone to the Dogs

Oddometer: 1,145
Thumb

'04 GT with 10K miles would be a great bike.
My wife purchased a new '04 KRS in the summer of '05 and put 38K miles on it in a little over two years. She too complained about the seat and the ergos on long multi day rides. And low speed parking lot maneuvers took a lot of concentration and hard work. A Sargent seat and some small bar backs helped a little. But most days she loved the big RS and rode it hard. At 5'7" and 115lbs it was a lot to handle. Now she rides a R12RT and is much more comfortable.

I inherited the RS a little over a year ago and since have put about 22K miles on it. My experience with this bike has been a little different than hers. After dialing in the proper riding position, which took about 2 or 3 weeks, I found the bikes ergos to be very comfortable for long rides. The thing I enjoy most about the RS is its power and silky smoothness. I find the handling in the tight twisties very good. It's no walk in the park and requires high RPMs, but the results are awesome. IMO these K Bikes are great all around bikes and a joy to ride.

There are some great deals out there on slightly used K Bikes. A 2004 GT with 10K at $9,250 sounds a little high considering you will pay sales tax too. I would try to get them below the $9K or $9K out the door including all taxes and fees. Get them to throw in an extended warranty too, they have lots of money and a used bike is cash to pay bills for them.
FlagRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 03:00 PM   #21
(none)
poser

Oddometer: 2,584
Gotta agree. I ended up with dumb luck just getting a '02 KRS with under 14k with new michelin tires, 12k just completed, in perfect shape (with touring screen, bags, heated grips and cruise) for decently under $7k from a BMW dealer. I haven't even really had time to ride it much yet, but the thing is nice. The idle isn't as smooth as my VFR was, but once rolling, it all comes together. The ride is sooo much better than the VFR ever was, the brakes are amazingly good and the quality and look of the bike are fantastic. I am sad that i am going to be away all winter long, but i'm getting her ready for a season full of riding.
LC80
JK Rubi
(none) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 06:15 PM   #22
NativeSon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by (none)
Gotta agree. I ended up with dumb luck just getting a '02 KRS with under 14k with new michelin tires, 12k just completed, in perfect shape (with touring screen, bags, heated grips and cruise) for decently under $7k from a BMW dealer. I haven't even really had time to ride it much yet, but the thing is nice. The idle isn't as smooth as my VFR was, but once rolling, it all comes together. The ride is sooo much better than the VFR ever was, the brakes are amazingly good and the quality and look of the bike are fantastic. I am sad that i am going to be away all winter long, but i'm getting her ready for a season full of riding.
ship it to me. i'll give it a full 3,000 mile shakedown, and written report to you when winter is over.....for free.
NativeSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 06:29 PM   #23
bjorn240
Good with a map!

Oddometer: 302
My pops has one, with bar backs, peg lowering kit, full Remus exhaust, and all the electric doo-dads. It's a pretty damn competent mile muncher -- the motor is turbine-smooth. My dad and mom ride frequent 1000-mile weekends, and they're both in their late 50s, so I think it's passable in the comfort department, too. A few weeks ago they rode to Crater Lake from LA over the weekend, because, "They wanted to see it." That's a pretty good endorsement in my book. But I prefer the FJR, I think.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:23 PM   #24
Guaglione
Country mice

Oddometer: 2,287
I just picked up an '03 K12RS, 50K miles, with some nice upgrades (GT seat, Bitubo shocks, PIAA's.) And Cary at Marin BMW took really good care of me. GGAve me a good price on my trade in (07 G650XC) a great price on the bike. Great guy.

And I love the bike. I had an '01 K12RS which I wish I had never sold, but this will be a nice replacement.

"This is the sort of ardent pedantry up with which I will not put."
Winston Churchill
Guaglione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 11:29 PM   #25
weerider650
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 584
If you can handle the ergos then its a nice bike. Like I said, its a misfit bike in my book but everyone is looking for differnt things in a bike. I still loved mine but I can only have one bike and this just didnt do it for me. I havent seen any rwrong info on the bike. It can eat miles for certain and at very high rates of speed. Just dont expect it to be nimble. This bike is definatly worth a test ride. As noted, if you do end up liking it then there are some killer deals on these. However, consider finding a used R1200RT. This bike is the most amazing bike I have ridden and I was able to find an 05 for under 11k with some accesories. The RT has everything the GT has but is alot more comfortable, better luggage, better wind protection and os very nimble and has some excellent low speed manueverability. Power of the 1200RT isnt bad either but it wont be as smooth or as fast as the GT.
weerider650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 04:19 AM   #26
Donster OP
No trick too cheap

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali_beemer
If you can handle the ergos then its a nice bike. Like I said, its a misfit bike in my book but everyone is looking for differnt things in a bike. I still loved mine but I can only have one bike and this just didnt do it for me. I havent seen any rwrong info on the bike. It can eat miles for certain and at very high rates of speed. Just dont expect it to be nimble. This bike is definatly worth a test ride. As noted, if you do end up liking it then there are some killer deals on these. However, consider finding a used R1200RT. This bike is the most amazing bike I have ridden and I was able to find an 05 for under 11k with some accesories. The RT has everything the GT has but is alot more comfortable, better luggage, better wind protection and os very nimble and has some excellent low speed manueverability. Power of the 1200RT isnt bad either but it wont be as smooth or as fast as the GT.
Funny you should mention it. I rode an '06 R1200RT with 18K miles on it that they wanted a lot more money for than the K. You're right, it's a nice machine. I didn't like the mirrors, but that isn't necessarily a deal breaker. The thing is, I'm just not seeing any smokin' deals on the R1200RT like I am on the K1200GT.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:34 AM   #27
jfurf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 942
The K1200GT is awesome. My 58-year-old dad has one. It's the bike for the middle-aged hooligan who still wants some long-distance comfort. Which is to say it's AWESOME!

He's done 600 and 700 mile days on it. I asked him about the bike's comfort and his reply was "I don't get tired."

I say go for it. You'll get instant street cred from the young 'uns on GSX-Rs and it won't matter what the other old guys on touring beemers and Harleys think. They'll be in your rear-view mirror.
jfurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 05:41 PM   #28
Donster OP
No trick too cheap

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfurf
The K1200GT is awesome. My 58-year-old dad has one. It's the bike for the middle-aged hooligan who still wants some long-distance comfort. Which is to say it's AWESOME!
Have we met?
Old 01-16-2009, 08:36 AM   #29
cmack
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 407
You may want to consider looking at the newer K bikes as well. There are some very good deals right now if you shop around. I've seen low mileage K1200S bikes right around $10K, and there was a like new '07 K1200R Sport on e*ay just last week with a $9995 BIN price. I have an '07 KR Sport, and it has been the most enjoyable street bike I've ever owned. Very friendly ergos, great handling, all day comfort, and a motor that will make everything else feel anemic in comparison!
cmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 08:44 AM   #30
NativeSon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmack
You may want to consider looking at the newer K bikes as well. There are some very good deals right now if you shop around. I've seen low mileage K1200S bikes right around $10K, and there was a like new '07 K1200R Sport on e*ay just last week with a $9995 BIN price. I have an '07 KR Sport, and it has been the most enjoyable street bike I've ever owned. Very friendly ergos, great handling, all day comfort, and a motor that will make everything else feel anemic in comparison!
+1. they're a steal at the msrp price of $14k. cheaper than the r1200r.
NativeSon is offline   Reply With Quote