Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2009, 11:21 PM   #31
weerider650
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donster
Funny you should mention it. I rode an '06 R1200RT with 18K miles on it that they wanted a lot more money for than the K. You're right, it's a nice machine. I didn't like the mirrors, but that isn't necessarily a deal breaker. The thing is, I'm just not seeing any smokin' deals on the R1200RT like I am on the K1200GT.
You will have to look very hard for the deals on a 1200RT but they can be found. They are a very very popular model so when they they come up on a good deal they typically wont last long. As soon as I saw the ad for my bike I was calling on it and bought it that night. The seller already had 2 others lined up to buy it the next day. The K1200S as mentioned by others is a great bike and would be another great option depending on budget. I have seen them new for 10,500 plus fees. I would disagree on the comment form another poster on day long comfort but everone is differnt and can tolerate differerent seat positions. I know I wouldnt last all day. BTW, the best deals will not be found at a dealer. Delaer prices on used bikes will often be market price or above market. Look at the craigslist bikes.
weerider650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 02:25 PM   #32
cmack
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 407
I was referring to the K12R Sport for all day comfort. The S definitely has more sporty ergos, and I wouldn't make it all day either... although there are those that do it without complaining. The K12R Sport never really caught on like the S or the base R. It's got the R's friendly ergos, a half fairing that is very similar to the R12S, and the lowest gearing of the K bikes making it a LOT of fun when you twist the throttle. Add the optional expandable side bags and you've got a lithe SPORT tourer that is quite capable.

The RT and new GT are also both great bikes in their own right, but I don't do enough two-up to warrant the extra weight.
cmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 03:02 PM   #33
NativeSon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,761
i saw a 2004 k1200gt at my dealer today. 9600 miles. $9k.
NativeSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 03:36 PM   #34
Donster OP
No trick too cheap

Oddometer: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by gator_motorrad
i saw a 2004 k1200gt at my dealer today. 9600 miles. $9k.
That's what I'm talking about. You never see anything close to a deal like that on an R1200RT.
Donster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 05:18 PM   #35
NativeSon
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
That's what I'm talking about. You never see anything close to a deal like that on an R1200RT.
that's what i was trying to say before. FOR THE MONEY, they're great bikes. is it an r12rt? nope. find me an r12rt with 9600 miles for 9k though.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:30 PM   #36
Donster OP
No trick too cheap

I would be all over a low miles R12RT for $9K.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:21 PM   #37
rich_mc
Full Fledged MEM-Ber

Oddometer: 2,218
I used to have an RS that I dolled up about like a GT - Here's a cut/paste from another thread where another friend had asked me about it.....

The short answer:
I loved it....Dawn and I even had the discussion the other day that she thinks I should get another one because I've never quite been happy with a bike since......

The somewhat longer answer comprised mostly of random thoughts:

If you draw an east-west line through Ohio, I've ridden it in every state on that line and south of the line. I rode it through Death valley at about 115 degrees on the same trip as crossing the Rockies in the snow. It carried me back and forth to Florida monthly to visit Dawn before we got married.

Power-wise, it was more than sufficient...Would it outrun a Busa?? No....Would it outrun damn near anything that it tried?? Yes....

Comfort-wise, factory electronic cruise control is a God-send. I needed to add a peg lowering kit to make mine comfortable for long stretches...

Fuel range wasn't bad, but wasn't great at about 200 miles....My buddy with a GT only ever got about 175.....

Preventative maintenance was costly, but you've already owned a beemer, so you know about that....

Problems?? I had the fuel quick disconnect issue where it starts spraying fuel out the side of the bike..."Fixed" under warranty when I had it (by fixed I mean replaced with the same shitty parts - I'd get the metal aftermarket ones and just be done with it)...Other than that, NO problems while I owned it....

When it had low 40K miles on it, the joint between the engine and tranny started seeping oil and the final drive started seeping too....It was a bummer as it had always been properly maintained....These two items are the reason I ultimately ended up trading it in on my DL650 I used to have....

Luggage - I used the system cases, a generic topcase, a big-mak tankbag, and a rear seat bag. I routinely would load it up with 200 lbs of luggage, tools, and foundry equipment parts and take it on service trips for my old job.

Rain handling was a non-issue. If you could see, the bike could handle it.

Metz Z6 tires were my best choice

K-bikes and i-bmw were the equivalent of ADVrider for those bikes

Pirate's Lair was THE place for accessories...and he even sends out a damn funny monthly newsletter.....

I did 3 official iron butt rides with it. The first one was to Deal's gap and back...21 hours - 1070 miles.....second one i rode from cincy to Salina, KS and back...1530 miles is 33 hours.....Third one was the hardest...1004 miles in 22 hours, but it was ALL in Ohio.....Had to make a lot of stops to document the corners....

Value: Would I buy another new one if they were still available?? HELL NO!!!! My $20K I had wrapped up in it and accessories took about a $13K hit after 45K miles and 2.5 years....(Which is a much higher percentage than I've ever lost on any other bike)....Would I buy a good used one?? HELL YES!!! At the price they go for now, they're a hell of a good bike...

When the dust finally settles from my move and works gets situated, I may look for another one myself and just have the DRZ as a secondary bike.....Though I do like the looks of the K1200S....

And now, a few pics so this post isn't useless.....

If you've got any specific questions, feel free to ask - I'll do my best to answer them for you...

2011 Connie 1400
rich_mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 07:07 AM   #38
Donster OP
No trick too cheap

Rich -- great photos!

I see you have a GIVI top mount with BMW system cases. Was that a bolt-on for your bike? I've got the same setup on my R1150R using the GIVI bracket, but I don't know if the system case brackets are different on your bike.

2004 seems to be the magic year for a used K1200GT. Any reason to prefer that year over another?
Old 01-18-2009, 07:24 AM   #39
rich_mc
Full Fledged MEM-Ber

Oddometer: 2,218
Quote:
Rich -- great photos!

I see you have a GIVI top mount with BMW system cases. Was that a bolt-on for your bike? I've got the same setup on my R1150R using the GIVI bracket, but I don't know if the system case brackets are different on your bike.

2004 seems to be the magic year for a used K1200GT. Any reason to prefer that year over another?
Yeah - the bracket was a bolt on, but I remember it was a bitch to line up....I've got an R1150R now and no longer have the RS - The brackets are at least a little different...

My RS was an 03....I think as long as you've got the newer version (post 1999 I think), then it should essentially be the same bike....

2011 Connie 1400
rich_mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 09:12 AM   #40
NativeSon
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_mc
My RS was an 03....I think as long as you've got the newer version (post 1999 I think), then it should essentially be the same bike....
what were the differences between the two versions?
Old 01-18-2009, 10:43 AM   #41
Unleaded
Unit Train

Oddometer: 806
Quote:
The K1200S as mentioned by others is a great bike and would be another great option depending on budget. I have seen them new for 10,500 plus fees.
The K12S is a nice bike. I bought one in November for about $11K plus tax, and I've seen that MaxBMW still has a few that I've heard they would sell for even less.

The K13S should be out shortly, so I would imagine used values on the K12 won't be climbing much....

I haven't had mine long enough to address potential problems (like final drive failure), but I can say that - at least on my bike - the jumpy fueling and clunky transmission issues I've read about are way overblown. In fact, it may be my impossibly-low standards, but I don't see them as issues at all.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:51 AM   #42
weerider650
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by gator_motorrad
what were the differences between the two versions?
Actually the RS changes in 2002. For the most part the bike is really the same but the front upper fairing was a bit different. The GT and RS uses the same front fairing setup but the GT adds to it and gives the adjustable windshield. The GT also has a more upright bar to it and has side fairing extenders. With the new RS in 2002 came the servo brakes and cruise control became an option. The GT also included heated seats. Personally if I were looking at a later model RS, I would immediatley look for a GT. It's almost the same bike but a bit more comfy with some extra usable equipment and will sell for an almost identical price. To me the GT is a no brainer over the RS. Functionally I loved my GT but poor ergos, flickability and fuel range were too big of issues for me to keep it. My R1200RT has been my deam machine.
weerider650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 03:43 PM   #43
2slow
Road toad

Oddometer: 456
There's a 2004 RS with 18,000 miles on Flea Bay for $7,250 Buy It Now. There are some low prices out there. Hmmm, only 40 miles from me, looks like I better check it out.
2slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 09:23 PM   #44
Tifighter
thread killer

Oddometer: 474
Interesting thread; any additional comments on how these bikes ride 2-up? I like my Sprint, but it is really cramped for myself (6'3")and SO (6'0") to ride longer than an hour or two...
Tifighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 09:31 PM   #45
NativeSon
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tifighter
Interesting thread; any additional comments on how these bikes ride 2-up? I like my Sprint, but it is really cramped for myself (6'3")and SO (6'0") to ride longer than an hour or two...
the best 2up would probably be the rt or the gt.