Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2009, 08:35 PM   #46
rich_mc
Full Fledged MEM-Ber

Oddometer: 2,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tifighter
Interesting thread; any additional comments on how these bikes ride 2-up? I like my Sprint, but it is really cramped for myself (6'3")and SO (6'0") to ride longer than an hour or two...
I'm 5'10" and my wife is 5'9"....I put a peg lowering kit on both the front/rear to get some relief in our knee-bend, but that was the only real change comfortwise....

Definitely keep your eyes open for different shocks too (you can probably find a used set somewhere) - I remember buying my shocks new for $1,321.00 and even my wife, who only ever rode on the back, said they were worth every penny....

2011 Connie 1400
rich_mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 08:41 PM   #47
rich_mc
Full Fledged MEM-Ber

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali_beemer
Actually the RS changes in 2002. For the most part the bike is really the same but the front upper fairing was a bit different. The GT and RS uses the same front fairing setup but the GT adds to it and gives the adjustable windshield. The GT also has a more upright bar to it and has side fairing extenders. With the new RS in 2002 came the servo brakes and cruise control became an option. The GT also included heated seats. Personally if I were looking at a later model RS, I would immediatley look for a GT. It's almost the same bike but a bit more comfy with some extra usable equipment and will sell for an almost identical price. To me the GT is a no brainer over the RS. Functionally I loved my GT but poor ergos, flickability and fuel range were too big of issues for me to keep it. My R1200RT has been my deam machine.
+1 - I think the only real benefit that the RS has over the GT is the better paintjob selection...

I wanted the GT, but didn't want dark blue or the greenish-grayish-whateverish color they offered that year....

The RS, on the other hand, has had some truly beautiful schemes....

2011 Connie 1400
Old 01-25-2009, 01:29 PM   #48
weerider650
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_mc
+1 - I think the only real benefit that the RS has over the GT is the better paintjob selection...

I wanted the GT, but didn't want dark blue or the greenish-grayish-whateverish color they offered that year....

The RS, on the other hand, has had some truly beautiful schemes....
Yeah, mine was the greenish-greyish-whateverish color. It wasnt my prefereance but it was liveable. I did get compliments on the color wherever I went. I was suprised as I wouldnt have complimented it. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder and I am not a fan of the RS color schemes as well, but I have never been a huge fan of BMW colors and whacky use of patterns/graphics. This is one area I like about my RT, its a good looking solid color.
weerider650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 05:20 PM   #49
fatboy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 302
I have an 01 mrs that I've put over 50k miles on. At 55 I guess I am not so young amy longer but wouldn't hesitate to jump on the bike tomorrow and ride it cross country. It rides as well as the day I bought it. Takes time to get use to the heft but I have no problems tossing through curves. Tire choice makes a big difference to me. Rode RTs but they felt like a seesaw to me. I prefer the more solid feel of the krs. I run with lowered pegs, regular seat, and low windshield. Lovely at 90. :-). It's like they say ... Preference.

-FB
fatboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 05:30 PM   #50
sideshow
debaser

Oddometer: 2,777
Quote:
Personally if I were looking at a later model RS, I would immediatley look for a GT.
I don't know how much you've noticed, but the used GT's pull $1500-2K+ more than the RS still. With the fact that most used RS's have the lowered pegs and/or barbacks added, I see hardly a reason to afford that for the windshield, wing extensions, and heated seat. All of those can be picked up, if desired, at a much lower price on the used market. In other words, they aren't essentially the same price.

As for the garish graphics schemes, the frost blue with red graphics on the 02-03's and the '03-04s with the alpine white with dark blue stripes are about as good as motorcycle graphics ever got. The red stripes make that bike go from mild to hero bike. The solid color bikes just do nothing for me but look boring unless it's that awesomely sharp and shiny black. The painted finishes on BMW's are top notch. Most decal kits can date a bike. The RS's with those stripes still catch my eye and I catch myself not glancing, but staring.
sideshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 05:48 PM   #51
gelandestrasse
Fidem Scit

Oddometer: 20,253
Quote:
Yeah, mine was the greenish-greyish-whateverish color. It wasnt my prefereance but it was liveable. I did get compliments on the color wherever I went. I was suprised as I wouldnt have complimented it. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder and I am not a fan of the RS color schemes as well, but I have never been a huge fan of BMW colors and whacky use of patterns/graphics. This is one area I like about my RT, its a good looking solid color.
I like the graphics on this:
Old 01-25-2009, 06:43 PM   #52
rich_mc
Full Fledged MEM-Ber

Case in point....

The bike on the right was mine.....The bike on the left was his.....

Guess who used to get pissed because the general public ignored his bike and always admired the other one like it was the best looking thing they'd seen....

2011 Connie 1400
Old 01-25-2009, 08:44 PM   #53
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,904
Quote:
Case in point....

Guess who used to get pissed because the general public ignored his bike and always admired the other one like it was the best looking thing they'd seen....
I'm guessing you because the graphics on your bike looked like they were designed by someone who fell into a coma in 1980 and just woke up
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 11:32 PM   #54
weerider650
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Case in point....

Sorry, but I like the solid color bike better. However, like I said in another post, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and purely personal. I do like the graphics of the K1200S and the new K1300S. Those are stylish. The K1200RS graphics all look pretty elementry IMO.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:46 PM   #55
weerider650
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideshow
I don't know how much you've noticed, but the used GT's pull $1500-2K+ more than the RS still. With the fact that most used RS's have the lowered pegs and/or barbacks added, I see hardly a reason to afford that for the windshield, wing extensions, and heated seat. All of those can be picked up, if desired, at a much lower price on the used market. In other words, they aren't essentially the same price.

As for the garish graphics schemes, the frost blue with red graphics on the 02-03's and the '03-04s with the alpine white with dark blue stripes are about as good as motorcycle graphics ever got. The red stripes make that bike go from mild to hero bike. The solid color bikes just do nothing for me but look boring unless it's that awesomely sharp and shiny black. The painted finishes on BMW's are top notch. Most decal kits can date a bike. The RS's with those stripes still catch my eye and I catch myself not glancing, but staring.
Hmmm, when I bought my KGT, I paid a little over 8k in mint condition with a remus exhaust, power comander, extended warranty and 10k miles in mint condition as if it rolled off the showroom floor. Thats actually less than the K1200RS's asking price on craigslist. No matter what you look at, some are going to want more or less than what the bike is worth. You just need to look for deals. When you look at the RS vs GT price pay attention to the model year. Even a 02 and newer RS gets a higher price than earlier RS's. The price needs ot be compared to identical mileage and model year. There is only a 1k dollar blue book price difference between the 2. Even if it were 1k dollars difference you arent going to add the cruise control (assuming the RS didnt have it, since it was an option), the power windshield, added fairing components painted to match, bar backs, heated seats for that price. That is the BMW compnents. Just searching a local craigslist and a 2002 RS was 7500 and an 03 GT was 7900. Thats far from a 2k dollar difference. 400 bucks more for all that equipment is a bargain.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:43 PM   #56
AOW
n00b

Oddometer: 7
I've been lurking around here for about a month trying to figure things out. I have my in town cruiser already ('07VROD), I'm now in the market for a good sport touring bike. Through this winter Have been in several shops sizing up my choices and options. I'm leaning really hard towards the K1200GT for it's creature comforts. Most recently I found a $8k, 2004 K1200GT with 21k miles Original owner. It comes with heated grips, heated Russell all-day saddle, large windshield, NAV II GPS system, large GIVI trunk, large saddle bags with the original blue covers still available and comes with the bike, along with the original windshield (never used). The bike has two electrical outlets, bar backs, the large tank bag (not looking good but very functional). The bike has been garaged kept since purchased new, and has never been down. NADA & bluebook place trade in value around $7050, w/retail at $9k, Does this sound like a good deal to you folks?
AOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 01:12 PM   #57
motojo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
the little things will kill you

I had a '98 K1200RS and was very bummed out when I had to remove the final drive and freakin' swingarm just to change the clutch slave cylinder (which took all of about 10 minutes to change). Major BUMMER
motojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 04:30 PM   #58
sideshow
debaser

Oddometer: 2,777
Quote:
Hmmm, when I bought my KG. . .
Wow, you got a deal on your GT. I've watched used bike and parts market for 4 years and didn't just take a survey of CL. The market is falling on everything now so maybe your advice is accurate. I just tell it like I've known it, but you sure don't find deals like yours everyday, you must realize. It seems that many 02-04 RS's came loaded up with PIAA's and/or lights off of the showroom floors to move them. I've never considered the GT options necessary, so if someone was looking for a deal, the RS is the best $/bike out there. If they want to add the options, they can pick their color easier since the GT didn't come in any enticing colors.
sideshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 06:04 PM   #59
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 9,517
Quote:
Sorry, but I like the solid color bike better. However, like I said in another post, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and purely personal. I do like the graphics of the K1200S and the new K1300S. Those are stylish. The K1200RS graphics all look pretty elementry IMO.
Striped bikes to me are fucking ugly.

The yellow checkerboard RS is ugly like Bigfoots vagina ugly.

Shame because they are great bikes, but I can't get past that terrible paint scheme.
Help my buddy mike fight kidney Cancer. Anything helps!
Off the grid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 09:27 PM   #60
weerider650
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off the grid
Striped bikes to me are fucking ugly.

The yellow checkerboard RS is ugly like Bigfoots vagina ugly.

Shame because they are great bikes, but I can't get past that terrible paint scheme.
+1.

Dude, you have me rolling in tear with the bigfoots vagina comment.