User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2009, 07:37 AM   #1
GSCowboy OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Just Retired And Planning Trip please help

I am retiring and my last day is 1/16/09. I am 52 years old and have been blessed in many more ways than I deserve. I have a 06 1200GS and have the desire to spend at least about 6 weeks traveling the US. I live in central Texas. I will plan to start in late spring to afford the best weather. I want to see the most beautiful places in the country. I have take many 3 to 7 day trips and have experienced a few 1000+ mile days so I have some knowledge of seat time and fatigue.

Please help with ideas of route to take starting from central Texas and going west first.
GSCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 07:50 AM   #2
Crusier Dude
pavement inspecter

Oddometer: 300
Hi GSCowboy.

Hello Cowboy,

I am 55 and FORCED into early retirement. Not a bad thing but trying to get used to it. (hahahaha)

I live in Boise Idaho and we have allot of great riding and sight seeing any direction out of Boise.

Why don't you stay in touch as see if you make it this way. I ride a 2005 Suzuki V Strom as a dual sport and a Yamaha Stratoliner for a road bike.

PM me if and when you think you might get out west. There is another guy from Texas that I have chatted with that is coming out West this summer. He isn't sure if he is coming all the way to Boise but I let him know he has a room and shower and I cook a pretty good BBQ meal. Also have a garage to keep the bikes in and most tools. Live really close to the BMW and KTM dealer here in Boise.

Hope to see you out this way if your plans work out.

Can't post any pictures now but I have posted several of both my bikes in the past when the server would allow it.

Les in Boise.
Crusier Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:09 AM   #3
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,211
Congratulations on your retirement

That voice you hear in your head is your 1200GS whispering in your ear - she wants you to take her to Mexico.

Trust me.

Bob
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:10 AM   #4
erider
erider

Oddometer: 479
Retirement ?

Dear Cowboy -

I'm 53. Just checked my retirement porfolio and I'm right on track to retire when I'm 97. I've only got another 44 model years to go. If you're looking for a 'good weather' spot to travel please come to Cleveland, OH. It's beautiful this time of year. The snow is up to the ass of a clown on stilts, and the temp is hovering around -0-. Please get here fast and leave room for me on the back of the GS.

Signed -

'I need a bailout in Ohio'
erider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 05:23 PM   #5
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,659
From Central Texas I would recommend this route. Big Bend,Taos, Durango,Ouray,Telluride,Gateway,Moab,Grand Teton,Yellowstone,Glacier,Northern Idaho, anywhere in western Colorado and back home. Then ride to Alaska next time for a real ride. Done all of these and more, and will do them all again.
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 06:35 AM   #6
GSCowboy OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX
From Central Texas I would recommend this route. Big Bend,Taos, Durango,Ouray,Telluride,Gateway,Moab,Grand Teton,Yellowstone,Glacier,Northern Idaho, anywhere in western Colorado and back home. Then ride to Alaska next time for a real ride. Done all of these and more, and will do them all again.
Thanks, looks like a good plan. I have a cousin who lives in Yellowstone. He is the Dam Keeper at one of the lakes and also have friends 100 miles west of Ancorage. The Alaska trip is out there for me someday for sure.
GSCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 06:56 PM   #7
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,671
What kind of retirement is that? You should have six months, not six weeks.

What kind of "beauty" are you looking for? There are amazing wide open spaces in the west. Bryce Canyon, Grand Canyon, Coast of California, Salt Flats of Utah, Rockies.

In the east, you have the Appalachians, which aren't so high, but are much greener. The cities and architecture in the east is more interesting.

Really, why the limitation on time? I think you'll be surprised how quickly six weeks pass. That, or after a week you'll be ready to go back home.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 07:35 AM   #8
Cuxo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Hello GSCowboy,

I'm riding from Toronto, Canada to Yucatan, Mexico in May so you are more than welcome to join me.

Mario
Old 01-21-2009, 07:41 AM   #9
jshuck
Iron Butt #31

Oddometer: 395
things in the area..sort of

I would head east to Birmingham to the Barber Museum. The best motorcycle museum in ther World. There is camping nearby. The best event at the Barber is the Vintage Festival in October. Don't forget the BMWMOA in July in Tenn. You will not regret it.
jshuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 12:41 PM   #10
Cornbread82
Sir Crash A Lot!

Oddometer: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshuck
I would head east to Birmingham to the Barber Museum. The best motorcycle museum in ther World. There is camping nearby. The best event at the Barber is the Vintage Festival in October. Don't forget the BMWMOA in July in Tenn. You will not regret it.
+1 on Barber, if you are into bikes it is a must see, and you are spot on about the vintage festival, some great races that weekend.
Cornbread82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 01:16 PM   #11
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,277
Congradulations on your retirement. I am originally from El-Paso and now reside in NC, however been living on the East Coast ever since. I would definitely agree with FOTOtex's route.

From where you are go the way to BIG BEND...then follow FOTOtex's.
By the way I am also riding a 2005 1200 GS. Plan on heading to Alaska schlepping a sidecar....

Enjoy, take your time...eat locally...camp occassionally...take pictures...fish...
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 02:24 PM   #12
Thumpercrazee
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,293
Congrats on your retirement! You have the right idea as to taking a great trip just after retirement. FWIW, I am in Hamilton MT in the beautiful Bitterroot Mountains so if you get this way please let me know.
Having spent time in the Dallas-Ft Worth area, a trip out and up here could manifest itself in many ways with lots of beautiful country and sights along the way. I always enjoyed the route along Hwy 287 as a pavement run during summer months. Your imagination can run wild if you choose dirt. So many roads and trails.... A nice route west would be hwy 90 west toward Langtry TX and on thru to Marfa, alpine, and on to El Paso. (The Big Bend area is always enjoyable , altho Marfa does occasionally get snow.)
From there to Las Cruces up to Socorro turning West on Hwy 60. At Eager, NM, you will need to make a decision as to weather conditions to the north and west. I mention this as Route 66 is still a very cool route into Calif. Otherwise I would cover the routes along the border, Lordsburg NM on into AZ toward Tucson- Yuma. The border area will be absent of snow so travel will always be available.
Anyway, travel into the areas here won't be pleasant until at least April or May due to the uncertainty of weather. There will be times of good and bad from here on so it is a crap shoot with the luck of the draw being in charge. I would try to stay south along the border areas for the initial crossing and then take a northward path in Calif along the PCH (Pacific Coast Hwy, or Hwy 101). In Ore. or Washington you can head East and catch ID, MT, WY, and on during the return.
Mountain areas on dirt are pretty much out of the question for travel during winter in Montana. I am hoping for an early spring and summer here as last year it was way too short.
Best of luck in your endeavors,

TC

2007 Star Stratoliner
2004 V-Strom 1000

Thumpercrazee screwed with this post 01-21-2009 at 03:08 PM
Thumpercrazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 01:50 PM   #13
bumblebmw
n00b

Oddometer: 3
If you come to Arizona take time to ride Highway 191 in the Eastern part of the state. One of the best motorcycle rides in the U.S. I have also been to the Barber Museum in Birmingham. Don't miss it !
bumblebmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 12:52 PM   #14
Thriller5
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Congrats on the retirement...make sure you trek through the Rockies (season specific)...if your looking for scenery stay more towards the west. I suggest going all the way down the California coast no matter what. Make a stop about an hour outside of San Diego in Temecula and go wine tasting..amazing and just right for the type of ambiance you will be looking for. Take tons of video and pics...it will make the trip that much more enjoyable especially later when you wanna watch old videos. Buy a helmet video camcorder. VholdR makes a nice one for like $299, which is better than lugging around a bunch of stuff. I would venture to the east coast in the beginning of the summer late spring and leave the summer months for the west coast. Now that your retired, think about where you have always wanted to go and do it. Nothing better than picking up and just going.

Have fun
Thriller5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 01:45 PM   #15
Vinnie the Snake
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,093
Just ride man, just ride.

I never have had a bad day on the back of the two wheeled machine seeing what is over the next hill or around the next corner.

I find something new every road I take and never take the same road twice. To many dirt roads out there to travel the same way.

Congrats

2008 - Vintage TAT - Ut, Nv, Or
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=331983

2009 - Vintage TAT - NC, Tn, Ms, Ar
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=507149

2010 - Unfinished Business Tour - TAT, CDR Shadow of the Rockies
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=615279
Vinnie the Snake is offline   Reply With Quote