User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2015, 10:59 PM   #1
fatneck OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Fuel Injected KLX250S coming to US/Canada 2015

...or so the chap in the Kawasaki booth said to me on Friday. Here is the post I made earlier which only about 3 people have seen. Hopefully I'm not breaking any rules posting it up as a new thread:

I've just got back from the Vancouver bike show, and there was no KLX250S in the Kawasaki stand. Was chatting to the area manager for Kawasaki and he said that it had failed on emissions (due to the carb), and that they are in the process of bringing the EFI version to the US & Canada. Hopefully be here summer/fall this year he said, as a very early 2016 model.

He said they had lost a lot of sales to the Honda, due to the combination of the price and the EFI.

My thoughts are that with the superior travel and suspension, an EFI KLX250S would take massive sales away from the Honda, and probably a few from the more expensive WR as well. As long as the price is competitive with the Honda, and he said that it would be within $500 of the Honda.

I really hope that is going to happen! That might also spur Suzuki to pull their finger out of their arse and update the DRZ.

Anyway, that is the conversation I had less than 2 hours ago, fingers crossed it happens that way!
- ZX-6R J2
- Fazer 600 '99
fatneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 10:27 AM   #2
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 8,900
That would be good. The suspension alone is worth the extra $500, EFI would be the lock. The CRF is a good beginner, but the suspension is an expensive fix, plus the extra weight. The KLX has the ability to span from beginner to hard core rider as many in the regular KLX thread are. I hope they're far sighted enough to have enough EFI range to compensate for the 351 big bore. That is a serious sales point for those who want to have the bike keep up with their skills. The suspension can be revalved and big bore capabilities are there. Hard to beat for the price.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 01:50 PM   #3
ex250mike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
About damn time! Its been FI in asia since what? Last decade? Hopefully they can tweak some more power out of it also.
ex250mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 03:40 PM   #4
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 19,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex250mike View Post
About damn time! Its been FI in asia since what? Last decade? Hopefully they can tweak some more power out of it also.

The process shows very clearly how the Japanese mfg are reluctant to update their dual-sport models in the US (it's expensive for them) and will do so only when forced.

Bike emissions in the US are a corporate average among all in your lineup.
The could have brought in the carb KLX one more year but that probably would have meant Kawasaki had to drop off another model to do so.

I'm glad to see this point is finally forcing itself for the Japanese Mfg to update their bikes to FI. Suzuki can't have much carb time left with their DR/DRZ line...it's 3 bikes wide infact. They have release 2015 bikes, so that is a done deal, but what will happen for 2016?

Honda is still hanging on with a XR650L w/ a carb too.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 02:57 PM   #5
fatneck OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
If Suzuki were to update and fuel inject their DRZ400SM, I would be tempted with another one for sure.
- ZX-6R J2
- Fazer 600 '99
fatneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 06:36 PM   #6
markk53
jack of all trades...

I spoke to the Kaw rep at the Cleveland Cycle World Show, he was the rep that came in the shop where I sold Kaws/Hondas/Yams, so I knew him from the shop. He acknowledged the EPA issues with the 250, which I'd have to assume applies to the EFI unit too, otherwise I'd think it would be here. He let me know he didn't see anything in the pipe at the moment. He also smiled and shook his head no when I initially asked if they still had good supply of 2014s in the warehouse. So any 14s will apparently only be what shops have.

From what I'm learning from a friend who is a former Honda sales rep that is friend with and keeps in touch with a number of the shop owners he served, the motorcycle industry is in a deep funk. Stuff that sold out is sitting on the floor at dealers who are fair and have good sales. Kids aren't coming in at entry level. I hope it is the recession tailing off, rec vehicles are the last to recover in those cases. Let's hope it grows this summer making it worth it for Kaw to bring in something spectacular.

Mark - klx678
Old 02-01-2015, 06:58 PM   #7
todd900ss
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by markk53 View Post
From what I'm learning from a friend who is a former Honda sales rep that is friend with and keeps in touch with a number of the shop owners he served, the motorcycle industry is in a deep funk. Stuff that sold out is sitting on the floor at dealers who are fair and have good sales. Kids aren't coming in at entry level. I hope it is the recession tailing off, rec vehicles are the last to recover in those cases. Let's hope it grows this summer making it worth it for Kaw to bring in something spectacular.

That tracks with what I am seeing around here. Local dealers a sitting on multiple 250 DS bikes, KLX and WR. Interestingly they are not discounting them much.
Visiting Ohio for the holidays (Columbus) I checked out some of the dealers. One had a 2012 WR250R new for $6299. What is that $400 off sticker for a three model year old bike? They acted like it was a smoking deal. I don't get it.
todd900ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 09:38 AM   #8
markk53
jack of all trades...

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd900ss View Post
That tracks with what I am seeing around here. Local dealers a sitting on multiple 250 DS bikes, KLX and WR. Interestingly they are not discounting them much.
Visiting Ohio for the holidays (Columbus) I checked out some of the dealers. One had a 2012 WR250R new for $6299. What is that $400 off sticker for a three model year old bike? They acted like it was a smoking deal. I don't get it.

Not much reason to discount if there's no replacement. The used WR250 market has fairly high pricing, so not much reason to do a whole lot when used are going for around $4500 or so. Of course there's also the whole thing from my days in sales - a check or cash on the table tells the tale. If a person is just looking I can tell them anything. I could tell them we might sell the WR for $5000 out the door... key word "might". Bad part is they leave thinking they actually can buy the bike for that. They don't know until they are ready to actually buy.

So why lie? Tell them they can get $400 off, maybe more. Make it clear if it was that out the door, because if it was, there is more being cut - the tax, title, the costs for set up/prep and yes, the dealer does have to pay shippng from the warehouse to them, a specific amount. It still has full warranty and unless the customer is looking at the bike as an investment to hold value or make money, it is technically a new bike. I'd buy a three year old bike if it was $400 less than current because I keep and ride what I buy. I figure by the time I get ready to sell a bike it won't make any difference if it is three years newer or older, it will be low enough it won't matter.

Of course if they looked out and saw Georgia plates on a vehicle they might assume you're goofing around, maybe you even said so. I still took people seriously because you just never know. I sold some bikes out of state. But that was me.

Mark - klx678
Old 02-02-2015, 09:55 AM   #9
todd900ss
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 346
All very true. My point was to your statement about flat sales. I would think there would be better discounts and I realize that the dealers can only do so much and still make money. The rest is up to the manufactures.
todd900ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 03:20 PM   #10
markk53
jack of all trades...

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd900ss View Post
All very true. My point was to your statement about flat sales. I would think there would be better discounts and I realize that the dealers can only do so much and still make money. The rest is up to the manufactures.

Yes, like I said when the checkbook comes out (or cash) you might be surprised what a bike may sell for. But remember, there's only about 17% margin if a dealer sells at full list and absorbs the shipping/set up costs. If there are no left overs in the warehouse the manufacturers may not put any discounts on their side. Fact is the only manufacturer that actually did a non-current payoff price cut was Honda and they quit that practice several years ago. So that $6649 bike has a total margin of $1100 so they let you know they will knock off $400, if you're a buyer you want them to knock off $1200. They hope you can meet in the middle so they can keep the doors open... many aren't.

The dealership where I worked, which was probably one of the oldest Honda dealerships in the country, starting in 1964 or so (it was a marina, I used to go in and look at the boats when I was a kid) closed permanently Dec 28, 2014. 50 years and gone. No money no dealer. You can't sell at a loss and keep the doors open, especially when a majority of the accessories are no longer sold at dealerships, but on line with many being drop shipped, so the seller doesn't have inventory either. A guy orders a helmet, the seller orders one if needed, getting it in a day or two, then ships it a day or two.

Mark - klx678
Old 02-02-2015, 05:16 PM   #11
Roland44
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatneck View Post
If Suzuki were to update and fuel inject their DRZ400SM, I would be tempted with another one for sure.
Same here but my wallet would hate me for this
Roland44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 05:27 PM   #12
michaelkozera
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
now if only the drz400 got fuel injection, i would go buy one right now.

i regularly ride 1,000-10,000ft and fuel injection is a must, period!
michaelkozera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 08:53 AM   #13
markk53
jack of all trades...

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelkozera View Post
now if only the drz400 got fuel injection, i would go buy one right now.

i regularly ride 1,000-10,000ft and fuel injection is a must, period!

If you did carbs, there is a fuel adder that can bridge several thousand feet when set right. Google Dial-A-Jet. I've run them since 1988 on street and on my dual sports. They allow leaner jetting for higher altitudes, then the DAJ allows fuel flow under the draw of lean conditions. Motorcyclists haven't taken to the Dial-A-Jet much, doing a bunch of brass changing, but the ATV and snowmobile markets are strong for them. They do the temperature extremes as well as the altitude extremes.

It ain't EFI, but it does a good job for a carb.

Mark - klx678
Old 03-30-2015, 10:22 AM   #14
Epy
Hen-teaser

Oddometer: 323
Any more news on this? I'll be trading my CRF in for a brand new KLX if/when this happens.
Epy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 11:33 AM   #15
Bultaco206
Back-to-back motos suck

Oddometer: 2,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by markk53 View Post
That would be good. The suspension alone is worth the extra $500, EFI would be the lock. The CRF is a good beginner, but the suspension is an expensive fix, plus the extra weight. The KLX has the ability to span from beginner to hard core rider as many in the regular KLX thread are. I hope they're far sighted enough to have enough EFI range to compensate for the 351 big bore. That is a serious sales point for those who want to have the bike keep up with their skills. The suspension can be revalved and big bore capabilities are there. Hard to beat for the price.
Don't get your hopes up for the adjustable suspension to continue...or so says a little bird that chirps in my ear regularly.

What EFI bringeth, Accounting is studying takething away.