Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2010, 11:30 PM   #166
ADV8
Taumarunui..Darwin..

Oddometer: 2,227
I haven't read before this page but it might have been mentioned already.
It depends which gears are used the most through the transmission itself.
Third gear wheel could be used in more than one application.

My 2008 is whiney in third at 30k kms.
I had figured on a rebuild at 50k... plus go to the 725 kit.
49 Sunbeam S7 Deluxe-57 TR6 Trophy-68 Huskys x 2-71 Commando Fastback-73 Ducati 750GT-73 Eldorado-74 TR5T x 2-74 Commando Roadster-73 and 74 H2A/B-77 and 81 900SD's-86 400WR-98 TL1000S x 2-08 DR780-07 Ducati HM 1100S
ADV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 11:47 PM   #167
NordieBoy OP
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV8
I haven't read before this page but it might have been mentioned already.
It depends which gears are used the most through the transmission itself.
Third gear wheel could be used in more than one application.
It's used in 3rd, 4th and 5th gears.
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 11:49 PM   #168
NordieBoy OP
Armature speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkgrichard
Just a thought, wild guess on my part.

I wonder if Suzuki out sourced transmission parts to be made from some third world country.

The reason I say or think this. I don't remember the older DR's ever having this problem.
Also the older DR's are completely different.

Not even the spark plug is interchangable.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:50 PM   #169
NordieBoy OP
Armature speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniroot
Anyhoo, unpacked the parts at the shop this morning, and one of the guys there suggested that the alignment of the internal splines seems to have changed. Some hasty photochopping suggests that might be right:
Very good eye Sherlock.

That makes sense. Instead of a weakness at each side of the dogs they've halved the potential stress points.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:52 PM   #170
NordieBoy OP
Armature speller

Quote:
I just picked up a new 09 Dr650, damn, I can't believe this thread.

How bad is this? Lot of folks have these bikes and don't come in here. Lot of other bikes we don't know about.

I had an 04 for a couple years and the only thing the guys talked about back then was that lower gasket leak, that problem was Disneyland compared to this thing.

FROCK!!!!! YIKES!!!!

I need a beer and i'm going to bed on this one...gheeeeeez.
Then again we are talking only a fraction of a percent of bikes having this problem.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:56 PM   #171
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy
Then again we are talking only a fraction of a percent of bikes having this problem.
Yes, let's repeat this: The frequency of occurrence of this problem is very, very low. It doesn't make sense to worry about it.

windigo
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 12:41 AM   #172
miniroot
running in: please pass

Oddometer: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy
Strangely, though we seemed to disagree on how complete our view of this problem might be, that's pretty much where my uneducated guess put it: tenth of a percent, probably less.

Compare and contrast with our chances of unemployment, divorce or grisly death. Those are things to worry about, if you're of a mind.

In other news, hopefully get the bike back this weekend, and this week's on-call means I can probably afford to pay for it.

w00t!!1
miniroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 12:42 AM   #173
elkgrichard
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay
Yes, let's repeat this: The frequency of occurrence of this problem is very, very low. It doesn't make sense to worry about it.
You would have to consider that only a small fraction of DR 650 owners would even show up on this forum?
elkgrichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 12:55 AM   #174
ADVJake
***** dweller

Oddometer: 4,341
Quote:
You would have to consider that only a small fraction of DR 650 owners would even show up on this forum?
But a fraction can tell you the story of a majority...
Old 05-20-2010, 06:51 AM   #175
kojack
My Hardley is a POS

Oddometer: 970
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaSteve
It's OK with me. Keeps the cost reasonable I guess. I'll venture that if they ever do a DR redesign that the problems will actually get completely fixed... unlike a certain oil burning doohicky spring stretching bike. Jabs aside, I could personally give a crap about popularity vs the KLR. DR's aren't exactly going nywhere and they're a lot more different than folks initially realize. The differences become readily apparent as soon as you turn off the pavement and for my needs theres way more than enough aftermarket for this bike.

I've always thought of the KLR owners as financially sensible and mildly frustrated GS owners.... but in a good way.... shrug..

EDIT:

And I've thought of DR owners more as financially sensible and mildly frustrated KTM LC4 owners.... but in a good way... shrug..

hey man,

no matter what you buy, its all Garbage, bmws, KTMs, kawis, Suzuk's.

they are all junk that break.

the good thing is, when our DR's and KLR's break, we can fix it with bailing wire and bubble gum where as the euro trash has to be trailered back to a dealer.....and cost 1000s more!

IMO DR and KLR are the best junk out there!
kojack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 08:03 AM   #176
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by kojack
the good thing is, when our DR's and KLR's break, we can fix it with bailing wire and bubble gum where as the euro trash has to be trailered back to a dealer.....and cost 1000s more!
Somehow I think that our friend DRJoe and a few others on this thread might disagree.

You will have to try hard to find a fault in the Euro bikes that has quite such catastrophic consequences:

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:55 AM   #177
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,145
ADVrider has 133,479 members and numerous unregistered visitors. The DR650 thread is easily one of the biggest, with 2364 pages, 35,458 postings and over 4 million views.

Unlike NA, the DR650 outsells the KLR650 in Aus/NZ regions, therefore think big numbers in circulation and in general they're used and abused far differently, than the average example in NA. A substantial portion of the reported failures, are from these regions with big DR populations. The numbers are extremely low, in relation to the amount of the bikes out there...

Inmate Ninja97 in Melbourne Australia, accumulated numbers we could only dream about, on his 05 DR650 used as a courier workhorse, with 5000 kilometer (3000 miles) oil change intervals. As a bread and butter daily workhorse, his oil change intervals were dictated by commercial usage, not a civilian's frugality. Do a member search, his postings are few, but enlightening !

I'd run the best oil I could afford / justify and vary the oil change intervals depending upon usage. If you're reliving your youth and rowing through the gearbox like a YZ125, renew the motor oil far more often, as it's shear strength will degrade quicker than just commuting... Mine is subjected to light duty applications and cherished and used differently, than if I was a paperboy and this was my first bike . In my case, it's Royal Purple Max Cycle 10/40 full synthetic, with 3000 kilometer (1800 miles) oil changes.

"Stay calm. Be brave. Wait for the signs." Thomas King

996DL
996DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 10:18 AM   #178
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,968
i've tried alot of oils and found redline 10w-40 makes my dr shift like butter compared to all the rest. i'm sticking with redline for my piece of mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 996DL
ADVrider has 133,479 members and numerous unregistered visitors. The DR650 thread is easily one of the biggest, with 2364 pages, 35,458 postings and over 4 million views.

Unlike NA, the DR650 outsells the KLR650 in Aus/NZ regions, therefore think big numbers in circulation and in general they're used and abused far differently, than the average example in NA. A substantial portion of the reported failures, are from these regions with big DR populations. The numbers are extremely low, in relation to the amount of the bikes out there...

Inmate Ninja97 in Melbourne Australia, accumulated numbers we could only dream about, on his 05 DR650 used as a courier workhorse, with 5000 kilometer (3000 miles) oil change intervals. As a bread and butter daily workhorse, his oil change intervals were dictated by commercial usage, not a civilian's frugality. Do a member search, his postings are few, but enlightening !

I'd run the best oil I could afford / justify and vary the oil change intervals depending upon usage. If you're reliving your youth and rowing through the gearbox like a YZ125, renew the motor oil far more often, as it's shear strength will degrade quicker than just commuting... Mine is subjected to light duty applications and cherished and used differently, than if I was a paperboy and this was my first bike . In my case, it's Royal Purple Max Cycle 10/40 full synthetic, with 3000 kilometer (1800 miles) oil changes.

"Stay calm. Be brave. Wait for the signs." Thomas King

996DL
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 10:29 AM   #179
Flatulator
Banned

Oddometer: 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by miniroot
My parts finally arrived this morning,
Anyhoo, unpacked the parts at the shop this morning, and one of the guys there suggested that the alignment of the internal splines seems to have changed. Some hasty photochopping suggests that might be right:
or ... the orientation of the splines to dogs .. is random to start with
Flatulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:11 AM   #180
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins
i've tried alot of oils and found redline 10w-40 makes my dr shift like butter compared to all the rest. i'm sticking with redline for my piece of mind.
Redline's a highly regarded synthetic lineup, I may run an oil change through the DR sometime, just to gauge the shifting differences.

A local non-franchised HD service shop (extensive drag racing experience), has used Royal Purple for near two decades and long before synthetics were commonly used in HD's. When I was finally at my wit's end, dealing with the horrid 1st to 2nd shift on my DL1000 while running Motul's 5100 semi-synthetic, I tried Amsoil and followed it up with the mc specific Royal Purple Max Cycle 10/40, to see if full synthetics would in any way, improve this annoying shift sequence. Amsoil provided little difference, suprisingly the Royal Purple made for quite a noticeable improvement. I've since gone to Shell Rotella 5/40 full synthetic on the DL, as the 1st to 2nd shift was sucessfully addressed, by a Touratech direct on spline shift lever, replacing the oem shifter and linkages.

However, I remembered the Royal Purple's behavior on the DL and therefore it's my current high end choice, for my beloved DR650.

996DL
996DL is offline   Reply With Quote