Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Yesterday, 11:43 AM   #1
badgerone OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Toronto to Moncton Questions

Hey friends!

I'm heading up to Toronto from Pennsylvania this June for the HUBB meetup. Then I'm travelling out to a wedding in Moncton and spending a weekend in the Maritimes.

I've been through Ontario a few times, but never ridden east. I'm curious if anyone has any suggestions for good routes that don't involve deathly miles of slabbing the TransCanada. I'm planning on riding a portion of the Saint Laurent, then either cutting across Northern Maine or...going north around?

I have three days to make the trip. Any suggestions on scenic routes, sites, delicious places to stop and eat, would be awesome!

Dan
badgerone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:14 PM   #2
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 5,708
I'll start by saying cross back into the US around the 1000 Isles area after Kingston.
To stay off slabs you'll find yourself going north/south a lot but the roads are great.

Once in Maine the 9 from Bangor to Calias then the #1 coast in NB.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:01 PM   #3
OldSilverFox
Let's Go!

Oddometer: 446
Tornoto to Moncton

There will be lots of help suggesting routes from input at the HU mtg. The toughest thing will be deciding which one to take.
See you there.
TCAT Ride Report .
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=825909
OldSilverFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:05 PM   #4
RumRunner
Sit there, turn that

Oddometer: 4,757
What type of bike and whats your comfort level of hours in the saddle or miles per day.

DW
Old Yesterday, 06:23 PM   #5
badgerone OP
Adventurer

'02 VFR800 VTEC. I'm putting Heli-Bars on her at the moment. I will have a pillion who is new to riding...so I don't think the daily mileage is going to have much room for detours, especially since she has made it really clear that she HAS to be to the wedding on time. Something about maid of honor, duties, blah blah blah...

So I am pretty much looking for the best mostly direct fun route between A and B, six-eight hours a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumRunner View Post
What type of bike and whats your comfort level of hours in the saddle or miles per day.

DW
Old Yesterday, 06:48 PM   #6
RumRunner
Sit there, turn that

Considering you want to keep the lil lady on your good side, I might suggest that you be VERY flexible on your route (weather etc) but make damn sure the nights are something to remember. Having said that, do...

Orillia to Ottawa to Quebec City to Moncton.

You could comfortably take lesser traveled roads from HUBB to Ottawa

Take a more northerly route from Ottawa to Quebec City

Then the longest leg will be Quebec City to Moncton. I hate to say it, but it will be your longest day however the TransCanada from Edmundston down through New Brunswick is a really fast, flowing ride that will allow you to chew up the miles needed.

Have fun.

DW
Old Yesterday, 07:08 PM   #7
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerone View Post
Hey friends!
suggestions for good routes that don't involve deathly miles of slabbing the TransCanada. I'm planning on riding a portion of the Saint Laurent, then either cutting across Northern Maine or...going north around?

I have three days to make the trip. Any suggestions on scenic routes, sites, delicious places to stop and eat, would be awesome!

Dan
Quote:
Orillia to Ottawa to Quebec City to Moncton.

Then the longest leg will be Quebec City to Moncton. I hate to say it, but it will be your longest day however the TransCanada from Edmundston down through New Brunswick is a really fast, flowing ride that will allow you to chew up the miles needed.
DW
This suggestion is exactly what he asked not to do. It's 1500-1600 kms depending on route.

I've made the trek in a motorhome, mini van, and rv pulling, and with little kids where frequent stops are a must. 2 nights is easily doable, leaving hotel around 10 am and getting a hotel around 5ish to get supper and the kids to a pool.

Google maps will show a few different routes to give some options. Quebec to Edmundston to Moncton, while fast, is as brutal as any route.

I agree with allowing her to have a lot of say in the route and speed. And getting off the bike at a reasonable time to allow for a walk, swim, meal, wine, whatever, will go a long way.

Old Today, 06:18 AM   #8
RumRunner
Sit there, turn that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot12 View Post
This suggestion is exactly what he asked not to do. It's 1500-1600 kms depending on route.
Sort of wondering why you selectively deleted my day 1 and day 2?

Quote:

You could comfortably take lesser traveled roads from HUBB to Ottawa

Take a more northerly route from Ottawa to Quebec City

DW

Maybe you were speed reading and missed that I suggested he have two rural road days with very nice night time adventures, those being Ottawa & Quebec City. Both excellent experiences for a couple who may not have seen historic sites. I'm not going to provide road by road directions as I assume the OP has some routing skills. However if it was me, from HUBB I would head up to Hwy60 through the park and down to Ottawa. From Ottawa to Quebec City I would do lunch in Mt Tremblant.

Day 3 is longer, but as noted the NB Trans Canada is nothing like the 401. It's only 750Kms from Quebec City to Moncton so there is time to take Rt132 along the St Lawrence to Riviere-du-Loup, before jumping down to the TC.

Anyhow, Badger1 - enjoy the trip, you have lots of options.

DW

RumRunner screwed with this post Today at 06:30 AM
RumRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:00 AM   #9
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Quote:
Sort of wondering why you selectively deleted my day 1 and day 2?

DW
I never mentioned it as I never took that route, so I have nothing to add.

But any highway from Ottawa to Moncton or (TO to Moncton for that matter) is not fun. Thus I'd certainly avoid it if given the time, which the OP has.

Old Today, 08:52 AM   #10
ScottDill
TANSTAAFL

Oddometer: 4,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot12 View Post
I never mentioned it as I never took that route, so I have nothing to add.

But any highway from Ottawa to Moncton or (TO to Moncton for that matter) is not fun. Thus I'd certainly avoid it if given the time, which the OP has.

The best route from Ottawa to Moncton goes through Baie-Comeau........... and Godbout...
ScottDill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:36 AM   #11
badgerone OP
Adventurer

Thanks for the ideas! I'd love to do a northern loop through Ottawa, and revisit Algonquin Provincial Park, but I the pillion wants to couchsurf at a friends' spot in Montreal. She's inclined to stay on the Canadian side of the border, as she's "done New England before" (Pish tosh! Maine is not New England!)

But, there isn't much room in the trip budget for hotels, so we are limited to camping and couchsurfing...and couchsurfing a bit might be easier on the gentler half of this duo!

I'm thinking Toronto to Montreal for the first day. I'm tempted to dip down into the Prince Edward Peninsula (?) and taking the Glenora-Adolphustown Ferry to 33 and following the coastline on and off into Montreal from there...that might be pushing time constraints to get to Montreal. Depends on how quickly we get rolling in the AM. Probably dip in between the 401 and the 2 (Thousand Islands Parkway) for gentle rides along the river.

Couchsurf, breakfast in Montreal, then shoot down the river towards Quebec City for lunch, and then haul along the southeastern bank of the Saint Laurent as far as Lac Matapedia, Matane or even Saint Anne Du Mont if possible. There's a lighthouse there that would be beautiful, and apparently you can stay there!

I'm noticing a lot of websites in French...which I do not parler. Any ideas on places I can call to find out about camping? Is it pretty easy to find camping on the water along the Saint Laurent? Lac Matapedia? Any campsite recommendations would be awesome!

Then, from wherever we end up along the Saint Laurent, cut down towards Dalhousie and follow the coast to Moncton. Voila!
Old Today, 09:39 AM   #12
badgerone OP
Adventurer

Once in Moncton, I'll definitely be taking a day trip to Prince Edward Island, one to Nova Scotia to see the tides on the Bay of Fundy, and then...

Home through Maine! Really excited about this portion of the trip. Shoot down to the coastline and take US-1 as far south as time and money allow! I might end up on Cape Cod...Who knows?!

Old Today, 09:46 AM   #13
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottDill View Post
The best route from Ottawa to Moncton goes through Baie-Comeau........... and Godbout...
That's an interesting route... Never would have thought of that, but it also includes 750 more kms, a 2.5 hr ferry ride + wait/boarding time.

Old Today, 11:40 AM   #14
RumRunner
Sit there, turn that

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottDill View Post
Yupp, agreed on that, plus Tadoussac is kwel.

Shit, skip the wedding and do the TransLab loop

Badger1, seems like youčve got a good plan

DW
Old Today, 02:07 PM   #15
Fundy Rider
Where 2?

Oddometer: 250
The North Shore of the St. Lawrence is a great place to ride but once you get on the other side you'll want to do the Gaspe and with your timeline you'll have to push to really see it all.

A great ride is to head out from Toronto slab just south of Montreal on the 401 to Route 20 then the 30 to ten then a few smaller roads and finally on the 212 to Coburn Gore Maine. It will be mostly slabbing until you get on the other side of Montreal and then it starts with the Chic Choc Mtns and once in Maine it will be twisty and beautiful country. Sugarloaf is a ski resort on the way and passed by a week ago and still snow up top.

Make your way to a town called Skowegan then on to Newport and Bangor and finally to Calais Maine. Cross the border call me after you P.M. me in St. Stephen New Brunswick and I will gladly have a coffee with you or your flavour and plan out your route along the Bay of Fundy with some free ferry rides to some great Islands and continue to your destination crossing the St. John river with more free ferry rides (free) and more sights along your way.

Three days is a perfect timeline to enjoy your travel as there is so much to see along this route once outside of Montreal and with the highest tides in the world and the Maritime hospitality I can guarantee you and the boss will truly enjoy this route.