Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2009, 10:51 AM   #136
roadholder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by northernogar
"The Quinn Lakes Trail offers something for every skill level and combines challenging obstacles with unbelievable views. We're honored to team up with groups like the Ottawa Valley Offroaders to help in the conservation efforts and ensure this area will continue to stay intact and safe for all future visitors."
I've been up there many times. A great ride.
I hope these guys have no affiliation to the bozos with 4WDs I once saw chipping away at the trail's renowned rocky steps to make it more "passable"!
They didn't like my suggestion that they could take the very "passable" hwy 401 if they were having troubles here.

Un fu#*ing believable! One of the great challenging technical trails in the area and these jerks were trying to make it the same as the next one!
roadholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 01:05 PM   #137
northernogar
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadholder
I've been up there many times. A great ride.
I hope these guys have no affiliation to the bozos with 4WDs I once saw chipping away at the trail's renowned rocky steps to make it more "passable"!
They didn't like my suggestion that they could take the very "passable" hwy 401 if they were having troubles here.

Un fu#*ing believable! One of the great challenging technical trails in the area and these jerks were trying to make it the same as the next one!
As far as i know the OVO club are the only ones that maintain the trail ie. brush cleaning after the winter from fallen trees etc...
And i also have done this trail in jeep and i have made every rocky step there was.
the only people i have seen doing the bypasses is atv's if you cant make it winch it, and the way i look at it the trail is for evryone to use, it is unfortunate that a few spoil it but thats life.
I can only control what i do.
Placing blame on one particular group, well i just dont do it because i have seen with my own eyes at one time on the trails in that area a motorized vehicle or the "driver" doing somthing stupid.

and i agree with you some people just dont think
Old 04-02-2009, 03:07 PM   #138
frazman
Post***ern Redneck.

Oddometer: 1,852
Quote:
i am pretty sure its for hiking and cycling only, found out the angry cyclist/holyalmighty biker way,maybe, but i was in my jeep at the time so i was not convinced by this irate cyclist so i went to the nearest opp staion and was told that if its not privatlyowned and i have insurance yadda yadda i was aloud on the trail with an offroad vehichle wether it was a snowmobile or atv or jeep he said it did not matter i have the constables name and detachment and whatever, but i am in the same boat as you i dont know who to beleive
I have no idea what the rules are if any for the K&P but I can tell you that I have ridden on the K&P south of Calabogie Lake a number of times and there was no-one else out there except for bikes and ATVs. My riding buddy (whose family owns a lot of the land between K&P and Barryvale and allows the off-road club access to some prime land nearby) says just keep your head up for deer.
frazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 03:09 PM   #139
frazman
Post***ern Redneck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99
Curiosity is peaked, we ride up to or around the Pakenham/Calabogie area frequently, I have never heard of this trail but let me know when you plan on going, I would be interested in joining you.
+1...Calabogie area is high on my list for places to explore this summer.

snipped from truck trends forum:

visit http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/bfgapp/outstandingtrails/index.jsp to get the latest on the locations of all North America's best off-road trails by BFGoodrich Tires. As for the Quinn Trials, the "Front Door" of the trail is located 45.0903598 -76.8428392. Or, for our non-tech-savvy trail seekers, just around Quinn Lakes in Ontario, Canada. And remember to Tread Lightly!

Thanks for the e-mail! If you have a question about anything you've seen on TruckTrend.com, please email us at trucktrend@sourceinterlink.com!
Old 04-02-2009, 08:17 PM   #140
fyr
iRoast Coffee

Oddometer: 1,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Alexander
Good for BFG. These seem to be trails frequented by the jeep crowd, does that have an effect on motorcycling through them? I know atv trails in the Larose Forest have banned dirt bikes on them. Just wondering if this happens with 4 wheel clubs too.

How is the trail suited for a big GS? "Climbing some pretty gnarly rocks" might be over the top for my bike.

Hey FYR, that road you have sounds great too ... is it GS able? I really need to get a DRZ!

I'm looking forward to learning some great new rides from all the collective wisdom we've got here
Yep
A GS would love that terrain..!
Old 04-03-2009, 08:34 AM   #141
roadholder
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Alexander
I know atv trails in the Larose Forest have banned dirt bikes on them. Just wondering if this happens with 4 wheel clubs too.
Dirt bike trails are back in Larose again after some negotiation. The forest management there is unclear on the concept of multi-use and seems to be trying to adopt a confusing system of various dedicated trails for ATV,s bikes, horses, pogo sticks...etc.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:52 AM   #142
roadholder
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
As far as i know the OVO club are the only ones that maintain the trail ie. brush cleaning after the winter from fallen trees etc...
The bike people do a ton of cleanup in there every year, particularly on the remote single track stuff with less users. Clearing the more open multi-use sections tends to be more ad hoc...cleared by whichever hunter, ATVer is blocked while passing through. However there is more traffic on those too, and since the recent ATV boom you can come across people in places never encounterd in years past...for better or worse.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:47 AM   #143
dialdn OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 669
Burnt lands

Anyone ever been into the Burnt Lands off Hwy 49/March Road? It's just up the street from me and I see jeeps and the like coming out of there all the time covered in mud.

D
Old 04-06-2009, 09:31 AM   #144
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,975
There's a deep crossing in there, doable but my guess would be not at this time of the year.

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 10:25 AM   #145
frazman
Post***ern Redneck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dialdn
Anyone ever been into the Burnt Lands off Hwy 49/March Road? It's just up the street from me and I see jeeps and the like coming out of there all the time covered in mud.

D
I attempted to do some MTB'ing and around there a few years back...didn't get too far since the bulk of the land is closed due to conservation/rare plant species.

However, since you saw jeeps, there must be something back there. I just didn't ride far enough.

See this:

http://nhic.mnr.gov.on.ca/areas/area...fm?areaid=1094

And this (map in PDF):

http://sof.eomf.on.ca/Biological_Div...urnt_lands.pdf
Old 04-06-2009, 07:58 PM   #146
fyr
iRoast Coffee

Oddometer: 1,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyr
Yep
A GS would love that terrain..!
Great ride up the Rouge on Sunday.
Felt quite Dakar'ish rooster-tailing corners and rises. Ill post again in a coupla weeks for a ride up that way. Got two others (1-KLR and 1-Dakar not of this site) So keep posted if interested. We'll hit up a coffee shop (or i'll bring my portable espresso maker out of hibernation) on the way back and tell tall tales.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:00 AM   #147
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 7,018
Hey fyr, that sounds great, keep us posted as to the date.
Dan Alexander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 08:19 AM   #148
shipwrek12001
Shipwrek

Oddometer: 2,072
ice breaker ride

went last Sunday on a ice breaker ride, and covered every terrain that we could find in the spring in Canada. tar,dirt roads, trails, ice, snow (2ft at one point) water water water and did I mention mud and deep mud. and a 1000ft water crossing. approx <200km dropped the bikes multiple times throughout the day and even got lost at times. all I can say was........what a great ride!!! 3 of us including one very newbie. 2 drz's and a klx250, sorry about bringing you I just didn't think it was going to be that bad (great). either way it was a great break in for me and him and now he is a much better rider. I think every newbie should run this in the spring. don't you think so P?

shipwrek12001 screwed with this post 04-07-2009 at 12:01 PM
shipwrek12001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 11:27 AM   #149
northernogar
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
was in there on sunday also great trail , if my knobbies were on i probably would of went all the way throught , i might of saw some of you guys, i was on the f800 gs.
and ya the trail was great,been throught in my jeep too easy, but doing with a bike specially a heavy one it was tricky and 50/50 tires not the way i wanted to do it so iturned around .
Old 04-07-2009, 07:25 PM   #150
atFault
Logical Positivist

Oddometer: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyr
Great ride up the Rouge on Sunday.
Felt quite Dakar'ish rooster-tailing corners and rises. Ill post again in a coupla weeks for a ride up that way. Got two others (1-KLR and 1-Dakar not of this site) So keep posted if interested. We'll hit up a coffee shop (or i'll bring my portable espresso maker out of hibernation) on the way back and tell tall tales.
Cool, keep me in the loop. I'd love to tag along and learn a thing or two. Oh, and keep your espresso machine on top of the cabinets ... nothing but tasty high-octane espresso cuts it anymore.