Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2009, 02:42 PM   #196
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,623
Eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99
Pics from weekend ride. Supposed to 25 degrees next Sat, will make the wet feet more comfortable

Very sneeky, you post pics of the easiest sections of the ride just to lure me in. There I was thinking "Hey, I won't have a hard time on that stuff"

Well, we leave Tim's and ride a bit of gravel with no problem ... and then we hit the first 50 foot mud bath Wrenched my shoulder out trying to pick the bike up and had to wait for help. The next two drops still required someone to help lift the pig.

The rest of the trails were great, up down and around. I learned a ton and got much more comfortable in the knarlier stuff.

Super burgers at the Ashton Pub for a little shoot the breeze session after the ride.

So, all in all I can say it was a fabulous day. ( even though my bike's filthy and I feel like I got hit by a bus )

Great to meet everyone !!

Till next time
Dan Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 03:38 PM   #197
pelvis_98
Havin A Time

Oddometer: 1,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Alexander

Very sneeky, you post pics of the easiest sections of the ride just to lure me in. There I was thinking "Hey, I won't have a hard time on that stuff"

Well, we leave Tim's and ride a bit of gravel with no problem ... and then we hit the first 50 foot mud bath Wrenched my shoulder out trying to pick the bike up and had to wait for help. The next two drops still required someone to help lift the pig.

The rest of the trails were great, up down and around. I learned a ton and got much more comfortable in the knarlier stuff.

Super burgers at the Ashton Pub for a little shoot the breeze session after the ride.

So, all in all I can say it was a fabulous day. ( even though my bike's filthy and I feel like I got hit by a bus )

Great to meet everyone !!

Till next time
Sounds like i made a mistake not meeting you guys today.

Dammit and i was hoping for someone to show me how to ride off road with street tires. God know i sure had to work at it this morning.
pelvis_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 04:34 PM   #198
Country Doc
Wanderer

Oddometer: 2,581
great day!

Great run today gents! Real nice to meet everyone and I will _definitely_ be back for the next installment.

Outstanding weather, interesting mix of all kinds of trails, and good food and conversation at the end. Hard to ask for a better way to spend a Saturday!

Here are a few pics I snapped on the trails. We didn't stop all that much - there were many really spectacular sections that were so much fun to ride that none of us pulled over to take photos. Rolling Canadian shield, forests of white pine, sweeping gravel roads, tight rough hydro line trail, and lots of water crossings.

Thanks Ted for organizing!

Dan

First break of the day. Dan A. on the 1150GS was fighting through the mud holes. Tough way to start the day, but sore shoulder and all, he kept up an amazing clip on the big GS for his first day off-roading. Well done.

Ouch! That GS hurts when you pick it up!

Waiting to take pictures of the first big water crossing.

Corey's sweet XRR.

Just to the right of this shot, Ted decided to follow Corey and climb the hill on his 950Adv. To be fair, he made it the first time. This was his second attempt...see the next pic!

Fries, gravy, hot sauce, and mustard. Goes well with dirt biking.

It pleases the eye to see a line of dirty bikes outside an English country pub.

Nice lunch spot to end the day in Ashton Station.

Here's a couple of youtube links to two short videos from the day, just for kicks.

Dale, water crossing on the HP2.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kt8MDl6YDik

Corey up the rock face on the XRR. It's much steeper than it looks in this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TokOx7oSQQU

Cheers,
dc
Country Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 05:26 PM   #199
frazman
Post***ern Redneck.

Oddometer: 1,852
Wow - couldn't make it this week with other commitments, but this post/pics makes me want to get out with guys really soon. As long as you've got room for a n00b with a KLR....

frazman
frazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 03:38 AM   #200
pelvis_98
Havin A Time

Oddometer: 1,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by frazman
Wow - couldn't make it this week with other commitments, but this post/pics makes me want to get out with guys really soon. As long as you've got room for a n00b with a KLR....

frazman
Those pics make me want to get out on the trail real soon as well.

Dont worry frazman Ted is a huge KLR fan and I will be taking it kind of slow until i get used to the bigger bike.
pelvis_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 04:03 AM   #201
RobP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Great ride

Hey Guys - that was a great ride. Looking forward to the next time.

Rob
RobP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 08:17 AM   #202
fyr
iRoast Coffee

Oddometer: 1,257
Damn
I said I was going to make it but had forgot that I needed to go to Montreal for a birthday doo.. I ended up sideways all the way there and all the way back (in at 23:15 last night) due to the wind. I thought I was going to get blown off of the Champlain bridge at one point.
Let me know when this ride goes on again as I would like to try and make it.
84 R65
Gonzo- 08 Ural G/U, 77 R100S, 01 Bonnie, 2x KLR's, Wee, Ninja's, CBR's, yadda yadda...
fyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:12 AM   #203
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,195
Eh?

No one is going to comment on the mustard on the fries?

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 12:37 PM   #204
Jlsa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99
No one is going to comment on the mustard on the fries?
Well it's Dale... we just thought that that was explanation enough!
Jlsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 01:09 PM   #205
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Tossing some ketchup on there would have made it look even better

Update on the shoulder:

The meds wore off at 2am and no matter how hard I looked the cupboards were bare. No position in bed worked, just total pain so all I could do was sit on the couch and try to get more sleep. Went to Wal Mart first thing this morning and got more Motrin and some Icy Hot patches and it's feeling a bit better. Pharmacisit thinks it a SLAP tear.

http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/gene...der/a/slap.htm
Old 04-26-2009, 02:59 PM   #206
Country Doc
Wanderer

Wow, that's a bold call on the pharmacist's part when that's a diagnosis that really is only made intra-operatively!

Anyways, sorry to hear that shoulder is so sore Dan...you were probably on the money when you were talking about the rotator cuff being torn/stretched. SLAP tears are often just another variation of rotator cuff/shoulder injuries, and typically the treatment is often the same - ibuprofen, physio, ibuprofen, physio physio physio!

Best to check in with your friendly local GP, of course, rather than taking advice from a relative stranger on a motorcycle forum!

Cheers,
Dan, 'just a gp', Curran
Old 04-26-2009, 06:46 PM   #207
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

What the hell does a 'just a gp' know compared to a worldy pharmacist from Wally Mart
I'd go see my GP but I bother her with enough other stuff. I'll give it a bit of time. It does feel just like the torn rotator cuff that I did on my left shoulder 10 years ago. I did the whole untrasound, MRI etc. and the surgeon said I really needed surgery but recovery was a long time and I'm in construction and need both arms. I spent a couple of years in pain but kept working it and strengthening it. It does grind on occasion but is pretty good. Physio therapist can't believe I can raise my arm above my head. This one hurts but is nowhere near as bad as that one was. I joined a gym a few weeks back to get in shape so I'm seeing the trainer tomorrow and we'll see what she comes up with for exercise.

I'll be fit and able for the next outing
Old 04-26-2009, 06:53 PM   #208
Country Doc
Wanderer

Good man! Lookin' forward to riding with you on the next one.

I'm still amazed at how you hustled that beast of an 1150 through some pretty knarly terrain!

I'll be white-knuckling it trying to keep up with ya' if you get a DRZ!

dc
Old 04-27-2009, 05:11 AM   #209
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

I'm surprised too ... adrenaline and no brains are a bad combination. I've been scanning Autotrader looking for one. The Honda's seem good too, Cory's XRR is sweet. I need to sell my old Dodge pickup first for some disposable cash. Then we can have some fun

http://www.trader.ca/Search/Details....ADS=7644633%7C
Old 04-27-2009, 05:12 AM   #210
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,195
A few pics from the weekend, email will go out soon with information on the May ride. It was great meeting some new faces

How much speed is too much for water unless you plan on soaking yourself from head to toe

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote