Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2009, 05:13 PM   #31
fyr
iRoast Coffee

Oddometer: 1,265
Looks good!
Lots of dirt?
84 R65
Gonzo- 08 Ural G/U, 77 R100S, 01 Bonnie, 2x KLR's, Wee, Ninja's, CBR's, yadda yadda...
fyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 06:53 PM   #32
bumblebee1
All bikes are dirt bikes

Oddometer: 1,431
I'm in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwrek12001
anyone interested in riding this, this summer?

Old 02-09-2009, 04:13 AM   #33
shipwrek12001
Shipwrek

Oddometer: 2,046
does anyone know when those ferries are open? maybe we should organize a ride the weekend after???
Old 02-10-2009, 06:57 PM   #34
Jlsa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Hey Dialdn,

Congrats on the new bike. I've ridden with Deadly99 and others here on some of the Sunday runs. I can tell you from my perspective, not only is it an absolute blast, even the little bit of off-road I've done made me a better, more confident on-road rider. Highly recommend you spend some time "in the dirt".

Jlsa.
Jlsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:20 PM   #35
dialdn OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlsa
Hey Dialdn,

Congrats on the new bike. I've ridden with Deadly99 and others here on some of the Sunday runs. I can tell you from my perspective, not only is it an absolute blast, even the little bit of off-road I've done made me a better, more confident on-road rider. Highly recommend you spend some time "in the dirt".

Jlsa.
Thanks. I am actually quite eager to hit some dirt. However, I need to be smart about getting back into riding in amongst the cagers before lugging my big old butt on the back on 500 lbs of machine through the dirt :-) I have no problem launching of rocks on a mountain bike or cycling up hills that would be even hard to hike.

And to be honest, it's all shiny and new and I need some novelty time before laying it down somewhere. Not worried about the dirt as she was meant to be dirty.

I would be interested in trying some trail riding with a smaller group so as not to hold anyone up too much. But also get a sense of the kind of riding that occurs.

I just finished buying all my equipment and now working on some farkles and toolkit. I will be chomping at the bit when the season hits and you can bet I will be hitting the dirt often and running the bike as a dual sport.

Thank you all for keeping this thread alive. Only a few weeks to go.

D
Old 02-11-2009, 04:21 AM   #36
fyr
iRoast Coffee

Oddometer: 1,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwrek12001
does anyone know when those ferries are open? maybe we should organize a ride the weekend after???
I think the Masson/Cumberland ferry is year round
84 R65
Gonzo- 08 Ural G/U, 77 R100S, 01 Bonnie, 2x KLR's, Wee, Ninja's, CBR's, yadda yadda...
fyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 06:49 AM   #37
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,741
Cumberland ferry is open all year. For guys coming from the east there's also a new ferry near Rockland that said they would be open all year but I haven't tried it yet.

Straight north of there is Papineau-Labelle Nature Reserve.

http://www.sepaq.com/resources/pdfs/...onang_2008.pdf

http://www.sepaq.com/resources/pdfs/...e_generale.pdf

I did a couple of exploratory rides in there last year and there is a ton of dirt riding to be done in there. I hear something like a thousand miles of trails from easy gravel raods to really knarly looking stuff. I got cold feet being on the big GS and trying some of the smaller trails so I'm looking for something smaller this year. ATV's are not allowed in there, not like the Larose Forest so it's hunters, fishermen and loggers.

Keep the thread going and I'll join you guys for some of those Saturday rides
Old 02-12-2009, 08:18 AM   #38
bumblebee1
All bikes are dirt bikes

I was planing to explore that park too(Papineau-Labelle).
No ATVs, that's great.
Fishing, camping, trail riding... now that sounds like fun.
I hope my bike can handle some of those trails. It's a gs400 with 50/50 tires. I put it in the same category as a bmw gs. Well weight and handling wise. My only issue is ground clearance. I need a good coal shovel (minus the handle) to protect the engine, preferably an aluminum one.
I know it's not the real thing, but "you gotta ride what you got".

Here's a pic of "my precious".

I'm really looking forward to this summer and riding with you guys.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:25 AM   #39
dialdn OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee1
I was planing to explore that park too(Papineau-Labelle).
No ATVs, that's great.
Fishing, camping, trail riding... now that sounds like fun.
I hope my bike can handle some of those trails. It's a gs400 with 50/50 tires. I put it in the same category as a bmw gs. Well weight and handling wise. My only issue is ground clearance. I need a good coal shovel (minus the handle) to protect the engine, preferably an aluminum one.
I know it's not the real thing, but "you gotta ride what you got".

Here's a pic of "my precious".

I'm really looking forward to this summer and riding with you guys.
That's an awesome ride. It's just cool to be out riding and have the ability to dabble in the dirt.

I have been up camping in the papineau-labelle a few times. Lake Earhart is awesome just on the edge of the park. Bass are huge and the water is clear and warm like the Bahamas. Seriously, we did some diving there and visibility was incredible.

Did some exploring with a Subaru about 20 years ago in there and came upon a bull moose on a grassy trail. Pissed and crapped my pants at the same time when we turned the corner.

If you go to Val-des-bois, take the route through Cantley, way more interesting at least in one direction. Albeit some sand on the road as you near Val-des-bois.

D
Old 02-12-2009, 08:29 AM   #40
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,741
I've got a 80 or 81 GS400 sitting in the garage waiting for the GF to get inspired and learn on. I'll have to get some knobbies for it too.

Dan Alexander screwed with this post 02-12-2009 at 08:42 AM
Dan Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:52 AM   #41
bumblebee1
All bikes are dirt bikes

I cut across from N-D-de la Salette toward Poltimore many times. Windy roads.
This is my first 50/50 bike(sort of) since I was 15. Started in the trails but progressed to street as soon as possible. Now I'm fed up with straight lines and stupid car drivers. It's like discovering a whole new world. I gave up riding 2-3 years ago because of boredom and lack of adventure. Now the motivation has come back stronger than ever.

Check this out.

Last May in front of my house
I just got this bike on the road at the end of June.

22 July, I went for a short run to test the windscreen. I wasn't 5 minutes from my home when a car turned in front of me.

I must be more careful. ATGATT is a must. I broke my right knee. Could have been worse. Got lucky.
I will be paying much more attention to other drivers from now on, until I hit the trails.
Life happens.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:09 AM   #42
bumblebee1
All bikes are dirt bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Alexander
I've got a 80 or 81 GS400 sitting in the garage waiting for the GF to get inspired and learn on. I'll have to get some knobbies for it too.
I tried to get my wife to learn but she had trouble with the clutch and dropped the bike. No big deal, but since my accident, she let me know that bikes don't interest her anymore. I get to ride solo now.
As for knobbies, I tried to fit a 3.50-18 on the front but it was too big. The fork brace and fender wouldn't fit anymore. Had to make a special extension bracket to lift it away from the tire. At the time, Shinko had no 3.00-18 in north america. Now IRC has them. Shinko is rated at 72mph and IRC at 92mph. I get them from BikeBandit and have them delivered to Ogdensburg at the UPS store. FYI.

I hope you get your wife riding the bike. Much more pleasant than having a pasenger.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:37 AM   #43
dialdn OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I cut across from N-D-de la Salette toward Poltimore many times. Windy roads.
This is my first 50/50 bike(sort of) since I was 15. Started in the trails but progressed to street as soon as possible. Now I'm fed up with straight lines and stupid car drivers. It's like discovering a whole new world. I gave up riding 2-3 years ago because of boredom and lack of adventure. Now the motivation has come back stronger than ever.

Check this out.

Last May in front of my house
I just got this bike on the road at the end of June.

22 July, I went for a short run to test the windscreen. I wasn't 5 minutes from my home when a car turned in front of me.

I must be more careful. ATGATT is a must. I broke my right knee. Could have been worse. Got lucky.
I will be paying much more attention to other drivers from now on, until I hit the trails.
Life happens.
That is nasty. I remembering seeing your post elsewhere on this forum. Glad to hear you are still riding. My wife was against motorcycles up to a year ago but now is even considering riding with me and maybe one of her own down the line.

I agree on ATGATT. I have 2 young girls and will do all I can to be well read and practice, practice & practice. In fact, I just got my P3 lights today for a bit more added viz. April 25th is my MSF refresher with my GSA. I just hope I have enough time to get some miles on it before the course :-) Much rather drop it alone than in a crowd.

D
Old 02-12-2009, 09:53 AM   #44
bumblebee1
All bikes are dirt bikes

I once read an article about 90% of motorcycle accidents were the rider's fault. Too fast for the road, lane changes without signaling, etc. Not necessarily a legal point of view, just a preventative one. In my case, I was driving a little too fast for the amount of traffic around me. There are no guarantees but one can manipulate the odds.
I guess the best way to look at it is that all other vehicles are boulders rolling and bouncing down a hill... must not hit any. No intelligent life, just rocks.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:08 AM   #45
dialdn OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I once read an article about 90% of motorcycle accidents were the rider's fault. Too fast for the road, lane changes without signaling, etc. Not necessarily a legal point of view, just a preventative one. In my case, I was driving a little too fast for the amount of traffic around me. There are no guarantees but one can manipulate the odds.
I guess the best way to look at it is that all other vehicles are boulders rolling and bouncing down a hill... must not hit any. No intelligent life, just rocks.
Exactly. Everyone is out to get us. And, with things like the senior population doubling in the next few years, we need to be even more careful. I drive my pick-up the same way.

D