User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2009, 07:13 PM   #121
fyr
iRoast Coffee

Oddometer: 1,275
Well
Its a wash for tomorrow. Postponed until Sunday. Off for a Wakefield ride tomorrow instead.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:37 PM   #122
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,797
Ah too bad but I just checked and I've got a doc's appointment at !:00 so no ride for me anyways. The weather looks good too.

I think that's highway 327 you're thinking about that goes up to Weir and Arundel and then to St. Jovite. I was a great road to play on too and it still isn't too bad. Ever hit Weir and go east on 364 ... some of that road has gotten so bad you couldn't break the speed limit no matter how hard you tried.

You know other good backroads in the area? I know all the paved ones but this offroad stuff is new to me.
Dan Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 07:56 PM   #123
fyr
iRoast Coffee

Oddometer: 1,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Alexander
Ah too bad but I just checked and I've got a doc's appointment at !:00 so no ride for me anyways. The weather looks good too.

I think that's highway 327 you're thinking about that goes up to Weir and Arundel and then to St. Jovite. I was a great road to play on too and it still isn't too bad. Ever hit Weir and go east on 364 ... some of that road has gotten so bad you couldn't break the speed limit no matter how hard you tried.

You know other good backroads in the area? I know all the paved ones but this offroad stuff is new to me.
Yup
I have a great little dirt gem that is impassable now but should be good to go mid April. Lots of water, sand, single track and related neatness.
Ill be putting together a ride sometime in the spring. Ill use this thread to advise!
And yup
Thats the 327.... I'm a bit forget full with numbers.. I just know by being there.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:56 AM   #124
northernogar
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Alexander

There is good "offroad" ( offroad not "dirt road") in calabogie area i have done some of the trails in my modified jeep..... one inparticular its called"quinn lake" trail is very good and the payoff for this trail is a stellar view of quinn lake and lunch area, there is a mixed bag of obsticles everything from water crossing to climbing some pretty gnarly rocks, it was voted best trail in ontario in one of the major offroad magazines, as soon as i get my knobies for my 800 i will give it a whirl and coming from ottawa its not that far.....
Old 04-02-2009, 04:43 AM   #125
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,752
Curiosity is peaked, we ride up to or around the Pakenham/Calabogie area frequently, I have never heard of this trail but let me know when you plan on going, I would be interested in joining you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernogar
There is good "offroad" ( offroad not "dirt road") in calabogie area i have done some of the trails in my modified jeep..... one inparticular its called"quinn lake" trail is very good and the payoff for this trail is a stellar view of quinn lake and lunch area, there is a mixed bag of obsticles everything from water crossing to climbing some pretty gnarly rocks, it was voted best trail in ontario in one of the major offroad magazines, as soon as i get my knobies for my 800 i will give it a whirl and coming from ottawa its not that far.....

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 05:05 AM   #126
northernogar
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99
Curiosity is peaked, we ride up to or around the Pakenham/Calabogie area frequently, I have never heard of this trail but let me know when you plan on going, I would be interested in joining you.

Quinn Lakes Trail recognized as one of the best off-road trails

September 4, 2008
By Benson Kong

Quinn Lakes Trail, located between Calabogie and Ompah Ontario, was recently recognized as one of North America's best off-road trails by BFGoodrich Tires. Along with winning a 2008 Outstanding Trails award, a $4000 grant is being awarded to the Ottawa Valley Offroaders club to assist in the preservation and conservation efforts of the trail system.
The forest trail system was chosen because it provides off-road opportunities for multiple skill levels on rock, dirt, mud, and hills. Joe Mazur, light-truck brand category manager for BFGoodrich Tires, lauded the trail and the efforts of the Ottawa Valley Offroaders club: "The Quinn Lakes Trail offers something for every skill level and combines challenging obstacles with unbelievable views. We're honored to team up with groups like the Ottawa Valley Offroaders to help in the conservation efforts and ensure this area will continue to stay intact and safe for all future visitors."

BFGoodrich has worked with Tread Lightly! and United Four Wheel Drive Associations to determine the best trails in North America and has provided $42,000 in grants to clubs to support off-road trail conservation. Five additional trails were selected as part of the 2008 BFGoodrich Tires Outstanding Trails program:
- BlackCat Trail located on Superstition Mountain near San Diego, California
- Blacktail/ Wild Bill National Recreation Trail located in Northwest Montana
- Iron Range OHV Recreational Area in Gilbert, Minnesota
- Pritchett Canyon, one of the toughest trails in Moab, Utah
- Beasley Knob OHV trail located near Blairsville, Georgia

i guess this is also a little dig at people who think jeep clubs do nothing for the trail systems......
Old 04-02-2009, 05:17 AM   #127
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Well, odd as some of ride around that area quite often, ah well stoked to try something new and hopefully have something to add to our weekend loop.

Old 04-02-2009, 05:20 AM   #128
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Good for BFG. These seem to be trails frequented by the jeep crowd, does that have an effect on motorcycling through them? I know atv trails in the Larose Forest have banned dirt bikes on them. Just wondering if this happens with 4 wheel clubs too.

How is the trail suited for a big GS? "Climbing some pretty gnarly rocks" might be over the top for my bike.

Hey FYR, that road you have sounds great too ... is it GS able? I really need to get a DRZ!

I'm looking forward to learning some great new rides from all the collective wisdom we've got here
Old 04-02-2009, 05:22 AM   #129
northernogar
Adventurer

I have some pics on my other cpu i will post them tonight, past the dam and at the top where the logging road starts on the right turn and there is a clearing from there i have to be there to see the trail head but if your just going for a ride you can make it to that point right now and just ride around there is tons of trails there
Old 04-02-2009, 05:32 AM   #130
northernogar
Adventurer

[quote=Dan Alexander]Good for BFG. These seem to be trails frequented by the jeep crowd, does that have an effect on motorcycling through them? I know atv trails in the Larose Forest have banned dirt bikes on them. Just wondering if this happens with 4 wheel clubs too.

How is the trail suited for a big GS? "Climbing some pretty gnarly rocks" might be over the top for my bike.[/quot

hmm i dunno about your bike, there is bypasses that motobike and atvs have made , that i have seen while jeeping, and i have also seen stock friendly 4x4's go throught the trail, but also there is alot to explore in that area not just the trail that i mentiond.
And just to put the 4x4 to motorcycle trail in perspective , 4x4 jeeps or whatever... move at a snails pace usually about 2-3 kmh so not usually ruts.
but this trail in perticular would be worthy of the front of adver slide show....
Old 04-02-2009, 05:38 AM   #131
Deadly99
Fast and Far

, I am a computer tech guy and I just love hearing someone call a computer a cpu, usually goes hand in hand with calling a monitor their computer.

Not poking fun, just laughing to myself.

We have rode a few of the trails around where you are mentioning, some have some deep water until late in the season, a few others are blocked by the speedway and private lands and few are gems. I look forward to seeing which one this is.

Is a GS to big? You can always turn around, that's the beauty of the sport. Won't know until you try. I just sold my 650 and I am progress of purchasing a twin so you wont be alone on a big bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernogar
I have some pics on my other cpu i will post them tonight, past the dam and at the top where the logging road starts on the right turn and there is a clearing from there i have to be there to see the trail head but if your just going for a ride you can make it to that point right now and just ride around there is tons of trails there

Old 04-02-2009, 05:48 AM   #132
northernogar
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99
, I am a computer tech guy and I just love hearing someone call a computer a cpu, usually goes hand in hand with calling a monitor their computer.

Not poking fun, just laughing to myself.

We have rode a few of the trails around where you are mentioning, some have some deep water until late in the season, a few others are blocked by the speedway and private lands and few are gems. I look forward to seeing which one this is.

Is a GS to big? You can always turn around, that's the beauty of the sport. Won't know until you try. I just sold my 650 and I am progress of purchasing a twin so you wont be alone on a big bike

Cpu? compooter ya i am not very litrit in computer lingo i still type with 2 fingers

but ya like deadly said you can always turn around, and the water is high right now i will test in my jeep first if the water fills the up to the bottom of the seat its still to high......... 8 inches of lift and 38 inch tires

beemer driven redneck o-ya
Old 04-02-2009, 06:07 AM   #133
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

[QUOTE=Deadly99 Is a GS to big? You can always turn around, that's the beauty of the sport. Won't know until you try. I just sold my 650 and I am progress of purchasing a twin so you wont be alone on a big bike [/QUOTE]

Great, misery loves company
Old 04-02-2009, 08:35 AM   #134
robbymonzo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Other trail systems

I ride on the Quebec side a lot. Seems they are pretty off-road friendly and there are a lot of lakes and logging roads, etc. I xcountry skied on Mont Diable a few years ago and have been trying to get more info on the region. Turns our they got it together:

http://atvriding.ca/

www.clubquadvillages.com

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=625920306
robbymonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 08:57 AM   #135
northernogar
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbymonzo
I ride on the Quebec side a lot. Seems they are pretty off-road friendly and there are a lot of lakes and logging roads, etc. I xcountry skied on Mont Diable a few years ago and have been trying to get more info on the region. Turns our they got it together:

http://atvriding.ca/

www.clubquadvillages.com
so are these places for atv only? or is it like crown land?