Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2009, 09:41 PM   #106
dwayne
Silly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyY
I totally agree. Keeping the front wheel locked in position is key to the bike's stability. It also keeps you from bending the front of the bed.

Like i stated earlier in this thread; i've had two wrecks with the bike in the truck. W/O the chock the bike fell over. With the chock it never moved.

I put the bikes in kitty corner, front wheel lodged in the corner. Same principal without drilling holes. Mind you I typically am only hauling dirt bikes not faired street bikes.

A "Day" of Dirt Biking Rockies East Slopes
High and Dry Colorado and Utah

"When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail"
dwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 07:19 AM   #107
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwayne
probably stating the obvious...

remember to put your sidestand up. You might wind up nothing happening or a dent in the bed to breaking the bike.
yeah, I put the stand up, but really once the bike has been synched down, the side stand is an inch or more above the bed anyhow.

The real trick is to remember to put it back down before relieving the tension in the tie downs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwayne
I put the bikes in kitty corner, front wheel lodged in the corner. Same principal without drilling holes. Mind you I typically am only hauling dirt bikes not faired street bikes.
I've only got 4 anchors in the bed, one in each corner. Sticking the wheel in the corner would seem like it'd cause issues with strapping the bike down. With the wheel square to the bed and tie downs running from the triple trees to the anchor points, I really don't see how the wheel could turn. It's not just the pressure of the wheel against the bed that's keeping the wheel from turning, but also the straps, they'd have to be loose for the wheel to turn.

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 06:59 PM   #108
averagejoe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
Guys, have you looked at Moto-Cinch? http://www.dualsportarmory.com/produ...20&item_id=534
It is far superior to tie downs and will not scratch your bike up. When you are done you just release the Cinch and there is a small button on the floor where it attaches. We can carry 8 bikes in our trailer using these and no wheel chocks to trip over.
averagejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 04:33 PM   #109
Attico
Wrong way 'round

Oddometer: 1,721
Looks great! I like the idea, especially when you haul allot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe
Guys, have you looked at Moto-Cinch? http://www.dualsportarmory.com/produ...20&item_id=534
It is far superior to tie downs and will not scratch your bike up. When you are done you just release the Cinch and there is a small button on the floor where it attaches. We can carry 8 bikes in our trailer using these and no wheel chocks to trip over.
Attico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 05:08 PM   #110
Jack90210
mindful

Oddometer: 14,994
It's hard to tell what the Moto-Cinch really does. Got any better pics?

I must say that my son has exposed a reservoir of love and of worry within me that I never knew existed. --nskitts, 9/2/12
Jack90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 05:58 PM   #111
averagejoe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
Here is a video of how it works.

http://www.cinchitdown.com/how_it_works

I have used straps and rope and chocks and all the other stuff. I really believe that this is the best way to transport a bike. No more suspension saver between the fender and the wheel, no more soft loops. Just hook the pegs into the Cinchs and secure them, they wont come loose. We have not found a dual sport bike that will not fit into the cup...of course we have not tried them all so I am sure there is one out there.

Of course we would prefer you visit our site to order....but throwing these guys a bone wont kill us.
averagejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 07:09 PM   #112
5150esses
leotarded

Oddometer: 36
Short Bed Tip

I've just driven from Oregon to Alaska with a 2010 Triumph Tiger in the bed of a Dodge Ram 2500 short-bed pickup. I wanted to make sure there were no problems before posting any advice.

The truck bed is 6 1/4 feet long. The bike is 83" long, meaning the tailgate would not have cleared by about 8 inches. I did not, however, want to leave the tailgate down for 3000 miles.

So, using 10th-grade math, I figured that the bed of the truck was 96" diagonally.

Here was what I did, and I'm glad to say it worked:

I used a Condor wheel chock. I puzzled over how I would mount it, since I did not want to drill the truck bed or use plywood. The other problem was that most wheel chocks are very wide in front because they are made to be put against a flat wall, such as the front of a truck bed.

The Condor people told me to buy their trailer only chock, but instead of mounting it to the truck bed, I got "boomerangs," or the Scooter Chock Floor Adaptor kit. This is supposedly for mopeds, but it works for full size bikes, and the mounting holes match up to the regular Condor Trailer Only chock. Then, you mount both boomerangs facing backwards, at which point you have something made to go into a corner.

Then, I used lots of tie downs. Four would have done it. I used seven. (It was a long trip, and tying down is trickier when you're not working with square angles.) I think cams are best for most everything, and I really do think Ancra tiedowns are worth the money, although I did use inexpensive rachet tie downs at some points that were not particularly stressful to the suspension. I did not use any tie downs on the handlebars. My aftermarket Thunderbike crash bars from New Zealand were excellent tie down points. Remember to retighten tie downs, especially during rain, since water stretches them.

On the truck I used the four stock corner cleats in the bed of my Dodge, plus stake pocket strong points, which are not very expensive.

Old 10-17-2011, 04:27 PM   #113
AWM
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 11,321

Theres a name for people without beards,"Women".
AWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 05:51 PM   #114
leman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77

ford sport trac beds are tiny
leman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 04:08 AM   #115
cozmo2312
Canyon Carver

Oddometer: 225

cozmo2312 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:22 PM   #116
stainlesscycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,084
i regularly (like at least twice a week) haul 1-3 bikes in my shortbed pickup. i have a 7.5' arched ramp, and a bedrack ( http://www.discountramps.com/motorcy...-down-rack.htm )

don't waste your money on the center extension. i just use a cinder block.

the bedrack is the best investement. makes life so much easier. no more snaking tie downs through wheels. i use the lower triple tree as a strap point. much better than on the bars.

i've got a trailer, but it's usually easier to just load the truck.
07 gasgas xc300-94 duc 900ss-86 morini camel (2)-84 IT200-83 IT175-78 guzzi lm1-77 pursang 250-76 morini 3 1/2 strada-76 frankentaco pursang 200-74 frankentaco pursang 200-74 morini 3 1/2 sport-74 mz ts250/0-74 puch 175 (3)-73 can-am 175tnt-71 guzzi frankeneldo-71 ossa Stiletto-70 frankentaco sherpa s(2)-66 morini corsarino(2)-63 morini corsaro + many more
stainlesscycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:10 AM   #117
bigtrailie
He shoots-HE SCORES!

Oddometer: 586
Quote:
Originally Posted by leman View Post

ford sport trac beds are tiny
Wow -- I would have lost that bet. Can't believe that it is possible to fit THREE bikes in one of those little trucks.

'04 KTM 950 ADVENTURE (black) - '05 Honda XR650R (plated) - '97 Honda XR600R (plated) - '99 Honda Valkyrie Interstate (joy rides with my wife and kids)
bigtrailie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:10 AM   #118
Lobby OP
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,286
I think about doing this all the time, since I started this thread.

Yet I haven't done it yet.

And I sold the truck.

Old 09-05-2013, 08:14 AM   #119
Kafn8td
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
A 119 post thread on how to tie a motorcycle down in the bed of a truck...
Kafn8td is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:10 AM   #120
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafn8td View Post
A 119 post thread on how to tie a motorcycle down in the bed of a truck...
wrong ! 120

2 bikes in a 24 year old toyota pickup works fine. three would mean putting one in backwards, but it's doable. 4 would mean hanging the front wheels over the side of the bed and take a while to do.

more than 4 means you're going to the scrap dealer with them, and they're stacked higher than the sun ;-)