User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2014, 07:31 PM   #1
JonnyCash OP
turd polisher

Oddometer: 1,388
We really need to educate these deer!

Well yesterday, I finally got the Guzzi going again, just haven't had much time this summer for playing motorcycles. After dinner tonight, I made a break for it, and went out for a ride, and was generally enjoying the shit out of myself. Coming around a bend in the fading light…… Oh shit! a deer right in the road, oh good she's headed for the ditch, oh shit, now she's coming back at me! Bang!……….Hey, I'm still on two wheels, whew! Stopped to take inventory. The headlight is hanging out of the bucket, but still lit, headlight ears bent all over the place, headlight bucket and rim bent somewhat, both left turn signals broken. A piece of hide on the headlight rim, and poop (the deer's) on my leg and all over the rear grab rail and rear fender.

Went back to see what had happened to the poor deer. I feared that she'd be hobbling around with a broken leg or something, but I quickly found her dead on the side of the road, bleeding out of the mouth, but not much other visible damage. I'd say she was around 80-100 lbs. Poor thing. The whole thing just made me feel shitty all around.

So then I tortured the headlight back sort of together and soberly continued on my ride. After that, I encountered deer in the road TWO more times. Thankfully, no more deer or motorcycle parts were damaged, but damn!

I feel pretty lucky that I came through unscathed, and the bike was only lightly damaged. I think I'm going to avoid riding around dusk for the remainder of the season. Be careful out there!
Old 08-18-2014, 05:42 AM   #2
MightyChosen1
Flim-Flam Man

Oddometer: 1,221
Glad you were able to walk away.

Accidents with deer have been increasing here . A coworker totaled his sidecar outfit a few weeks ago after a early morning collision. He was also lucky enough to walk away. And a few days ago a woman was killed after hitting one on a scooter.

The damn things are becoming a nuisance. I work nights and am used to seeing them a the ride home but last week I came around a corner early afternoon and there is a six point buck standing in the road. Didn't try to run, just looked at me as I motored by.
Old 08-18-2014, 06:15 AM   #3
norton73
drinkin'

Oddometer: 8,278
Glad you stayed upright and are OK.

I have to chase the damn things out of my driveway just to get in the garage most evenings. They just sit and look at me like they own the place or something. I've taken to shooting bottle rockets at them in my backyard to keep them from eating everything in the garden. All they do is move out of range and then ignore me. Might have to increase the size of the ammo.
Old 08-18-2014, 06:47 AM   #4
dwizum
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Glad to hear you turned out OK. I've hit two deer in cars, in roughly 16 years of driving. It scares the crap out of me to think about hitting one on a bike.

This morning on my way to work I had a scary reminder, coming around a gentle bend in the road to see a deer head suddenly pop up out of the tall grass just off the shoulder as I rode by. If she had jumped, I would have hit her without a chance to even get on the brakes. I try to be vigilant around areas like that but sometimes you just don't see them.
dwizum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 07:58 AM   #5
FalcoScott
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Glad to hear you're ok, surprising after a motorcycle collision. I recently totaled my beloved E28 BMW hitting a doe who jumped out of a ditch right as I went by! I think this woman's got an excellent solution:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFCrJleggrI
FalcoScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 05:54 PM   #6
concours
Banned

Oddometer: 5,135
Uhm... did you field dress and drape it over the pillion seat? Cool enough to hang tonight, butcher tomorrow. YUM!
concours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 06:21 PM   #7
JonnyCash OP
turd polisher

Oddometer: 1,388
Interestingly, I've never hit a deer in a car, been driving 25 years. About two years ago I hit a very small fawn on the /5 at maybe 30 mph on a gravel road. Actually, she struck ME me in the thigh, neither of us were hurt. This deer was probably twice the size, but still small. I'm afraid I've probably used up all my good luck on this front. When I first saw her, I was going about 65-70, and scrubbed my speed down to about 40-45 by the time we hit.

Totalled your E28! I bet you were very sad. I always loved them.

I don't know shit about dressing a deer, but that's too bad. I love venison, and as young as she was, she would have been tender and sweet. Too bad to see it going to waste.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:08 PM   #8
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 7,796
Dawn and dusk are the two worst times. I tend not to ride at night if I can help it, mostly due to wildlife on the road. But, yeah, they can pop up any time of day.

Ten years ago I totalled an R11S hitting an elk and going over a 20ft embankment. Spent a couple days in the hospital and a month and a half off work. Not a fun experience, but thankfully I had insurance at the time and I counted myself lucky to be alive.

Glad you and the Guzzi didn't suffer any major damage!

Ever since my crash I've been promoting open season on deer within a thousand yards of any highway.