User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2009, 03:20 PM   #181
DoubleBit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
http://www.xlintperformance.com/

Maybe try these guys.. Nice folks, at least they are into our old XLs...

Riding whatever runs, wherever I want.
DoubleBit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 03:24 PM   #182
sturleyau
Monarch 42

Oddometer: 204
Carby Gaskets

Hi Doug,
I sourced a carby rebuild kit with needle, mainjet etc from Ebay for my XL250.
They are made by Keyster Carburetor Parts, japan.
Quite cheap also.
That should give you somewhere to start.
otherwise try CSMNL in Holland.

Regards
Glenn
Old 09-14-2009, 04:25 PM   #183
Unleaded
Unit Train

Oddometer: 726
Thanks very much, guys. That's great info.
Old 09-19-2009, 11:28 PM   #184
Pokey66C23
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 438
Just bought a 79 XL185S

I just picked up a 79 XL185S for my 14 year old. It has two issues, a missing headlight bezel and a motor that was ran with very low oil and incured motor damage. I haven't take it apart yet, but I believe it will be a top end minimum.

I'm thinking about a total rebuild just to make sure its reliable. The oil I drained out was thick, black and smelled burned. Only about a cup came out. I'm thinking the crank bearings, tranny bearings and possibly the connecting rod bearings may be bad too. I hope the crank isn't toast.

Where's the best place to get engine parts for the 185? How about the headlight bezel?

This bike is in beautiful shape and well worth saving. Will a 200 top end bolt right on to my block? Are the 185 and 200 motors interchangeable?
Pokey66C23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 07:12 AM   #185
tx_medic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 273
bikebandit is where i've been going to price out my parts lists for my bikes. I'm sure there are other places, but they're the best I've found so far.
-luke
Old 10-05-2009, 08:08 AM   #186
BluRoad
as in blue highways

Oddometer: 454
This looks like the place.....

I got this about six weeks ago...11000 miles, original owner, pretty complete:

Not sure which direction to go with it yet. Will definitely need a set of shocks; anyone got a suggestions on shocks? And would love to find this headlight surround; anyone?

Joe in WI
BluRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 10:20 AM   #187
osufrdave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
I take it you want to use it not just let it be a collector bike. She's pretty. Looks like a new pipe is in order?

Love my 82'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluRoad
I got this about six weeks ago...11000 miles, original owner, pretty complete:

Not sure which direction to go with it yet. Will definitely need a set of shocks; anyone got a suggestions on shocks? And would love to find this headlight surround; anyone?

Joe in WI

07' R1200GS, 07' XR650L
osufrdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 10:47 AM   #188
BluRoad
as in blue highways

Quote:
Originally Posted by osufrdave
I take it you want to use it not just let it be a collector bike. She's pretty. Looks like a new pipe is in order?
That's where I'm leaning -- a trail rider with limited street use. The pipe is a SuperTrapp with lots of surface rust, but sounds good. I'll try cleaning up the rust & painting it, and fabbing a mounting strap. Should work OK.

I expect to take the bike down to the frame, so a good winter project. The photos show better than in person, but it's original & mostly complete. Runs great -- lots of power! I just grabbed a skid plate on ebay, so there's a start.

Oh, and the PO said he installed a big-bore kit back in the day. He thought it was a 650cc with titanium valves, but not sure. Anyone have any insight on what it might be?

BluRoad screwed with this post 10-05-2009 at 10:53 AM
Old 10-05-2009, 05:00 PM   #189
sturleyau
Monarch 42

Hi BluRoad, I rebuilt my XL250 and bought YSS shockers. They seem to do the job but also seem to be weeping a little oil after only 3000kms. Not sure if I would recommend.
Probably your best bet is Ikon shockers in Albury,Australia. These are actually Koni shockers as the owners got the license to build them from Koni. Last I checked they were around AU$500.
Hope that helps.
Your bike looks like you should just ride it, never mind taking it down to the frame.
Glenn
Old 10-05-2009, 05:08 PM   #190
hawaii_87
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Laugh Wow!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-REDZ
I'm using a KTM "looks a like".. hahaha.. it's an after market fender, but I don't know from what bike...

My CB125 has been bore up to 200cc now, with a racing cam so I wouldn't have to worry if I have to take it for an adventure. I have two pair of wheels, the other using a spoke wheels with dual purposes tires if I want to go for a lil bit naughty tracks.. hahahaha..

Your bike is sick I want to do my xl up to something like this. Reminds me of the Ducati Motard.

-Charles
hawaii_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 05:38 PM   #191
hawaii_87
n00b

Kid Needs Help!!!!!!

Hello I just joined the site here. So far I love it. I have found so much info here on my bike. So I bought a 1980 Honda XL250S. I love it. I had a '79 XL500S in high school. I rode 70 miles round trip everyday to work and school in the next town over. So anyway about why I need help. So my 250S and I were going down the I-15 today and I blew a sidecase gasket and ran out of oil. I heard the sound and popped the clutch and hit the kill switch and pulled off the road. The bike had heated up and I noticed a snail trail of oil on the side of the bike. I took the oil cap/dipstick off and there was smoke everywhere. I had my girlfriend pick me up and take me and the bike to Kragen. I pour the right amount of oil in there and kicked it over slowly and carefully. My girlfriend then pointed out where the gasket blew. I noticed there is a bolt missing too. It is in the right side above the peg/brake lever. I need to know where I can get this bolt and what sort of damage I'm looking at. The bike came with the full gasket set when I bought it. So Inmates with your infinite wisdom. Please help me keep this classic on the road for others to wonder in awe. Thank you ahead of time and thank you again for the information I have already received on other issues with the bike.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:55 AM   #192
sturleyau
Monarch 42

hawaii 87,
f you log on to CMSNL.com I think you may be able to find the microfiche parts list for your bike.
Most early model parts are still available from Honda at the usual spares Honda prices. The odd screw and bolt for my XL250 were around AU$3, but at least you could order them.
Just as an aside, new rear shockers are listed for my bike at Honda for AU$919 each. WOW!
Your fix shouldn't be hard,. You will find that the bolt has come loose and fallen out or at the worst sheared and left the end in the lower crankcase.
Not a big job. Just drain the oil first and remove all the crankcase screws. You may have to encourage the cover to come off gently tapping near the kickstart shaft os levering it off with a screwdriver.
Good luck and welcome.
Glenn
Old 10-06-2009, 12:23 PM   #193
hawaii_87
n00b

Thank you

The Thunder Down Under hahaha. Thank you very much for the info. I'm going to go check that out. I'm up in the States though in San Diego so hopefully I can find a Honda shop around here. So another question to those reading. What damage am I looking at possibly? I'm hoping that since it spits oil out where the gasket is damaged at when I turn the motor over that I didn't ruin anything internally. That's what I'm really worried about. Again thank you for your help and may the Honda XL live on forever.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:28 AM   #194
BluRoad
as in blue highways

No Time Like The Present

My '81 XL500S "refurbishment" has begun. A few hours of teardown got me here:

No surprises yet, except the lower engine mount bolt was missing its nut (I hate that).
Wire-brushed the very rusted header pipe & SuperTrapp. Came out pretty nice and is ready for paint.

Ordered a new seat cover off ebay & lined up a local shop to install for $25; cheaper than buying the tools. Got a new set of Moose handlebars. Ahead: remove the engine for frame paint, swingarm for inspection & paint, fork rebuild, etc.

So it's a start....
JOE in WI
Old 10-15-2009, 08:18 AM   #195
Hodakaguy
NorthWest Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 2,014
Here's my XL.....Just a little smaller than most of them here It's a 74 Xl70. Had one like it when I was a kit. Fun Stuff!

Hodakaguy
And Then There Were Four - OR RR: CLICK HERE
My VW Syncro Westy Build Thread: CLICK HERE
Hodakaguy is offline   Reply With Quote