User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2009, 12:23 PM   #196
hawaii_87
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Thumb

Beautiful bike. It is a bit smaller but would be great down here in Mission Beach. Everyone has little annoying scooters but that would stick out from the pack it such a good way.
hawaii_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 12:29 PM   #197
hawaii_87
n00b

Update on the 1980 Honda XL250S

The bike is running. I put it back together last night and fired her up this morning. She is running nice however she smokes like my ex's mother ( alot). She 's idling right now as I am tyoing this and I'm keeping a close eye on her. The smoke is coming out from under the exhaust port and the tailpipe. I think I might have to do a topend rebuild.........I just shut her off and I'm going to let her cool down. I'll clean the engine thourghly and start her up and see if she smokes again. I'm just glad to hear her running and backfiring like she used to. Wish me luck guys. I need it.

-Charles
Old 10-17-2009, 01:49 AM   #198
Blady Hassel
Hasselblady

Oddometer: 61
it was my little "87 XL :)

Blady Hassel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 02:54 PM   #199
BluRoad
as in blue highways

Oddometer: 451
[QUOTE=Blady Hassel]it was my little "87 XL :)

------------------------
That's purdy!
BluRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 09:42 PM   #200
Steamboatsig
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
My 1978 Honda XL250s.
So far: New chain (sprockets looked perfect), new tires, new Progressive Shocks (not pictured), new battery, new petcock, new mirrors, LED tailamp.
In the mail: OEM Toolbox
Wish list: New exhaust, new fork tubes, new chain slider

Steamboatsig screwed with this post 10-21-2009 at 09:40 PM
Steamboatsig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 09:48 PM   #201
welder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,520
^^^ wow thats a clean xl ^^^^
Old 10-18-2009, 09:53 PM   #202
Steamboatsig
Adventurer

Thanks. It was pretty clean when I got it a couple of weeks ago. It was in a barn for 15 years. The only issue was it was covered with hundreds of baby spiders and one big honkin mama Black Widow!!! They are now living inside my shopvac.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:03 PM   #203
BluRoad
as in blue highways

Oddometer: 451
Very nice. Any idea where the rear rack came from? And where did you source your Progressive shocks? I need a set.

And that's a fine-lookin' dog.
BluRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:13 AM   #204
Steamboatsig
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluRoad
Very nice. Any idea where the rear rack came from? And where did you source your Progressive shocks? I need a set.

And that's a fine-lookin' dog.
No idea where the rack came from. I thought it was OEM, but I guess not. It seems to attach very securely and with factory bolt locations.

The rear shocks were ordered by Eric's Motorcycles in Pasadena. I believe he contacted Progressive Shocks directly. The shocks he chose were listed under the 1979 XL500. They were 16.5" eye to eye. I am going to reuse the springs I currently have in pics. If you go to the website, they show "Dealer Purchase" so I think you have to order through a "Dealer".

Here is the website www.progressivesuspension.com and link:
http://www.progressivesuspension.com...40&modelID=981

10-21-09 UPDATE: New progressive shocks installed. Fit and work perfect. Series 13-1241B.

Steamboatsig screwed with this post 10-21-2009 at 09:38 PM
Old 10-21-2009, 10:30 AM   #205
momphrare
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkpunch
How is the air filter? Also check the timing advance mechanism, they can stick if the bike has sat for a long time. Located behind the points plate on the upper left hand side of the head.
Ok, Air filter did absolutely nothing. I have done some research on the net and it does seem to be related to my timing. If you could be more Specific on how I can check the timing advance, or maybe even walk me threw how to adjust the timing. I have very little time on this bike and don’t know it very well. I should pick up a repair book for the bike but I can’t justify $30 after shipping.

Anyone have a EBook for this bike? 1978 XL125.

Thanks again guys!
Old 10-22-2009, 12:07 PM   #206
hawaii_87
n00b

WOW!!!!!!!! Beautiful '78. I have an '80 250s I'm restoring and is my daily driver. I would love to have my bike look remotly like that. You have the same pad on the handlebars as me hahaha. You say your putting on new exhaust. How much would you sell the old exhaust? I would really like the old muffler if your getting rid of it. How much did you pay for the shocks? Oh by the way took the bike around the block today. It's a six mile block by the way. It will definetly need a top end rebuild. Any one have a book on this thing they can upload or something and any Ideals as to maybe bore it out a bit to say a 270. Love the dog on the bike my girlfriends Jack Russle will ride with me on some of the backroads here.

-Charles
Old 10-22-2009, 04:10 PM   #207
Steamboatsig
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaii_87
WOW!!!!!!!! Beautiful '78. I have an '80 250s I'm restoring and is my daily driver. I would love to have my bike look remotly like that. You have the same pad on the handlebars as me hahaha. You say your putting on new exhaust. How much would you sell the old exhaust? I would really like the old muffler if your getting rid of it. How much did you pay for the shocks? Oh by the way took the bike around the block today. It's a six mile block by the way. It will definetly need a top end rebuild. Any one have a book on this thing they can upload or something and any Ideals as to maybe bore it out a bit to say a 270. Love the dog on the bike my girlfriends Jack Russle will ride with me on some of the backroads here.

-Charles
Aloha Charles,

The exhaust is on my wish list, but finding a stock OEM one is almost impossible. If I do find one, I will contact you about selling my old one. It is currently missing a baffle so it is a little louder than normal, but still not entirely obnoxious.

The shocks were $246 for the pair.

Thanks for the compliments!

Mahalo,

Conrad
Old 10-30-2009, 02:02 AM   #208
sturleyau
Monarch 42

Oddometer: 206
G'day Hawaii_87,

I restored a 1972 XL250 and during that time I inadvertantly had a later model barrel bored to 270cc. I believe the barrel I have is for the centre port models as it is a little squarer in the fins and has a slightly different stud pattern.
It may fit your 250s and there is a piston kit for 270cc available generally on EBay and located in USA.
PM me if you would like further information.
I have mine running with the 270cc kit and haven't changed anything else.
It runs very well.

Regards
Glenn
Old 11-01-2009, 01:27 PM   #209
dorkpunch OP
Oops...

Oddometer: 5,070
added a new "how to"- reviving an old dead bike. I've been going through a bunch of my old website stuff as I update and move it, some of the info will hopefully be usefull to you all!

"I've been going to this high school for SEVEN YEARS. I'm no dummy!"
-Charles De Mar.
dorkpunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 07:42 PM   #210
mossycreek
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
1976 xl250

I am going to look at a 76 xl250 first thing in the morning. The owner has had it since 1977 and has been stored inside and never rained on since 1978. It has 2300 miles. It has not been ridden since 78. The owner said it was in perfect condition. $450.00. I can't wait to check it out and hpefully come home with it. I am sure a little TLC will be in order.
mossycreek is offline   Reply With Quote