User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2010, 04:17 PM   #271
Hog Rider
The Professor

Oddometer: 1,330
Memory Lane

I ran across this thread a while ago and I had just about forgot the XL 350 I owned in 1981. This was the first 4 stroke bike I had ever ridden. I just found these pictures of when I was done painting it.

Hog Rider

IBA # 31325
AMA# 739943
Cobb
Etc..

http://carlstwowheeledadventures.blogspot.com

2006 Buell Ulysses, Current Rally Mount
1984 HD Electra Glide Classic
1977 BMW R 100/7 Cafe'
1982 Honda CBX Super Sport, Work in progress
Hog Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 04:21 PM   #272
raycam01_au
Sir Ray!

Oddometer: 1,067
mmm addicted to Xl's

Hiya Guy's
Firstly i am a virgin to bikes, long time lover but never ever got around to it, so finally at the ripe old age of 43, i quit my long time managers position, moved to a position of lifting heavy things, mon-fri and thought stuff it i wanna BIKE!
young fella at work heard me talking bout this, so he says matey i got this old bike if ya want it its yours (good that he works for me) went over to his place to see a beauty of an old girl, 1982 Xl250r, bit like me, rough round the egdes, not real pretty but goes hard, so up to Glen Echo tomozz, ........... I plan on making her abit more pretty as i go along!!!! Just love it, always liked the hondas, and as a freebie was even better
also juss picked up this
raycam01_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 02:28 PM   #273
mac66
Quasi Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
Here's my 74 or 75 XL 175. I bought it at a garage sale about 5 years ago and has been sitting in my garage for 2 or 3 years now. Couldn't get it started last summer but I am going to get all my little bikes up and running this year.

Anyway, I am looking for a rear rack for this if anyone knows where to find one let me know. I've been scouring ebay and craiglist for months.

mac66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 04:09 AM   #274
sturleyau
Monarch 42

Oddometer: 202
XL gone to better home

Hi All, for those of you that have seen pics of my XL250, I sent it off to a mate today for a better life.
When I saw him a few weeks ago he said he was after a 250 for his son. I said would he like to buy the XL and on the spot he said yes.
He came around today with cash in hand and took it away. Along with 8 boxes of spares.
He was a very happy person.
Anyway, thanks to everyone here that has helped over the time of my XL ownership. You have been extremely helpful.
Good luck with the XL's and happy riding.
I can still be found on ADV it's just that for a bit I won't have a bike.
Cheers
Glenn
Old 02-25-2010, 07:25 AM   #275
LoCoMatt
Busy

Oddometer: 491
Xl185

Good morning folks - I was wondering if someone could answer a question for me? I was curious if the frame for an '82 XL185 is the same (or similar enough) as a '79 XR500? I have an XR500, and am looking at buying an XL185 and putting my 500 motor in it. They both appear to have the same feature where the engine is integral to the frame.

Any thoughts?

Here's my XR:

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
LoCoMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 07:59 PM   #276
dorkpunch OP
Oops...

Oddometer: 4,944
Can I ask why? If you are just looking for a lighter smaller bike, i dont think its going to save you much... Having tinkered on both, I'd say they are similar, but the engines will not directly swap. Unless you have a torch, welder, grinder, and a lot of duct tape. I could be wrong though!

"I've been going to this high school for SEVEN YEARS. I'm no dummy!"
-Charles De Mar.
dorkpunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 12:36 AM   #277
The Mass
Timbuktu or Bust... Both!

Oddometer: 335
Have to agree

I'm afraid that I have to agree with DP above. While the frames are similar in looks, I am sure (a very long time ago sure) that the 500 engine will NOT fit in the 185 frame without a lot of massaging (and possibly a few tubs of ................... insert favourite lubricant).
I owned both bikes or very similar when they were new items.
If you have the time, money and the inclination, anything is possible I guess.
Have fun!
04 GSX1400 (with USD front end)
The Mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 04:24 AM   #278
LoCoMatt
Busy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkpunch
Can I ask why? If you are just looking for a lighter smaller bike, i dont think its going to save you much... Having tinkered on both, I'd say they are similar, but the engines will not directly swap. Unless you have a torch, welder, grinder, and a lot of duct tape. I could be wrong though!
Why? I'm really just looking for an easy way to make my 500 street legal. I have a lot of dirt roads/ areas around my house that I'd like to be able to just ride too. I like the power of the 500, and this seemed like a simple solution.

That, and I'm looking for a project. I'm looking for a similar vintage XL500, but I'm wondering if a 250 frame might do it also?

Oh, well ... back to the drawing board!
Old 02-26-2010, 04:25 AM   #279
LoCoMatt
Busy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mass
If you have the time, money and the inclination, anything is possible I guess.
Have fun!
Thanks! I currently have 1 out of the 3. Always looking for the other 2.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:58 PM   #280
dorkpunch OP
Oops...

I think the 250 and 500 have almost identical bottom ends, so I would guess that the 500 would bolt in to a 250 frame. Again, not 100% sure though... but I know lots of bottom end parts interchange with 500. The only thing I'm not sure of is if the 500 motor is taller.

-Charles De Mar.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:09 PM   #281
Larry Ferguson
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by locomatt
Why? I'm really just looking for an easy way to make my 500 street legal. I have a lot of dirt roads/ areas around my house that I'd like to be able to just ride too. I like the power of the 500, and this seemed like a simple solution.

That, and I'm looking for a project. I'm looking for a similar vintage XL500, but I'm wondering if a 250 frame might do it also?

Oh, well ... back to the drawing board!
You might try taking both bikes to a good welder and have him swap steering tubes, you know the one with the VIN... Easier than trying to stuff that big motor in too small a frame, And you could make it a badass chopper at the same time!

'01 Connie
'83 XT 550
'78 XL 350
'73 XL 250
'72 XL 250 (Needs "assembly")
Larry Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 06:18 AM   #282
rick danger
Off the wagon

Oddometer: 4,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorisTas
Unbelievable, my best mates first two bikes, right colors and all beautiful jobs by the looks , any more pics ??

BT
Sorry for the ridiculously delayed response. These were my first bikes as well. They are in storage right now , but this spring I'll be starting on my new room where they can be displayed properly. I'll be posting lots of pics then. The 250 and 125 are all restored. The gold CT70 has to be done. Mine was red ,so thats what this one will be.

rick danger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 06:40 PM   #283
JonW
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Hi All, I dont know if you remember but I started a thread a while back about my very slow work on my XL500R, which ground to a halt due to hassles with the suspension linkage, Ive got that almost sorted out now by buying up as many of them as i could find but in the meantime another project has come my way... an SL125! :)

Its not perfect... no shit LOL. Its got a 2 piece head CB125 engine, the wiring harness has gone awol and the carb seems too big for the airbox rubber (which says SL100 on it? frame says sl125... hmm are the 100 and 125 rubbers different does anyone know)... but im slowly working through it... seeing whats needed.

So... can someone tell me... I found there was an oil leak from the altenator side of the engine, opened up the cover and whoosh... oil on the floor. I was a bit stumped that there should be oil over the stator as ive never found that before unless the crank seals have gone, but a friend has mentioned that may well be right for these early 70s engines... do any of you with XL/CL/CB/SL etc etc engines know for sure? the manuals dont mention oil there, but then they dont mention that the clutch has oil over it either... lol

Anyone with a wiring harness for any of the above models that's in a box at the back of their garage or in their the way and need rid of it? I'd like to get the thing to run before I start to mess a bit more with it... Thanks all!

Thanks to all who have supported the Omega PloProf book at DeskDivers.com - it's very much appreciated

JonW screwed with this post 03-03-2010 at 06:51 PM
JonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 07:39 PM   #284
dorkpunch OP
Oops...

totally 100% normal. they have a "wet" stator- the flywheel runs in the oil. Makes it REALLY fun when you are trying to set the timing with that cover off and the engine running... Big mess.

-Charles De Mar.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:39 PM   #285
Bendernz
Torrential

Oddometer: 521
Gidday from downunder (New Zealand). I am currently working on restoring an SL100 with an SL 125 to follow - I'm about a third of the way through the 125.

First, the stator should not run in oil, but with a wet sump there will be oil in the bottom of the stator housing.

The 100 and 125 models share many identical parts, the carb boot/air cleaner included. If you want an authentic restoration, you might want to search out one for the 125, which will be identical (except for the 100 moulded into the rubber.)

When I get a bit further along I'll begin posting reports as I have made notes and taken photos as I go along.

These bikes are now becoming very rare as most of them ended up as kid's ratbikes and have been thrashed and under-maintained to the death. What a great project to choose - I'm really enjoying mine.
Bendernz is online now   Reply With Quote