Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2010, 04:11 AM   #286
JonW
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Wahoo! how happy am I... so at least the crank seals arent one of my problems LOL Thanks dorkpunch.

Bendernz, wow youve two of these... either a glutton for punishment or knowing something we all dont. I like to think youre right about these little beasts, they do seem harder to find now and some are selling for big bucks on ebay if theyre complete, even non runners :/ Mine is obviously a bitsa with its CB engine, but Im digging it. Ive also found a big bore kit in my spare parts with a freshly rebored cylinder, so if the rest of the lump comes apart i could fit that, or... ive also got a full 200cc cylinder and bare head as well... hmm... its nice to have choices...

Ok, so the oil in the stator is normal, phew... who knew... LOL. So I now need to sort out the wiring and maybe it will run with fresh oil in it. now theres a thought.

Thanks for the info on the carb boot. Looks like my carb may well be off something else (unless its from the CB engine and not the original SL), i does say 24 on it on the lid and 22 on the choke flap... it a Keihin and looks like the ones Ive had on XLs before.

I realised another part I am missing is the lower rear mudguard. To be honest there is so little of these its a wonder you can mislay any parts when you take one apart, as there is an obvious gap if you dont fit something... LOL!

Thanks for your help guys! very much appreciated!

Thanks to all who have supported the Omega PloProf book at DeskDivers.com - it's very much appreciated
JonW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 12:38 PM   #287
Bendernz
Torrential

Oddometer: 520
Sucker for punishment, more like.

I got two because the guy was selling them as a package - with a spare frame thrown in for good measure. The first is a real basket case and I decided that I'd fix this up as a "ratbike" using whatever parts I could get cheap. I'm doing it with my sons, to give them something to thrash and get them of my back while I get on with the more original restoration of the second bike. That one is in reasonable condition and is, at least, complete (except for the original tail light and indicators).

I decided to restore the second to be the same as an SL125 I once rode in a three hour hair and hound race - in which I got 2nd in the 125cc class. I have a couple of trophies that tie in nicely. I may decide to go from there to add an original exhaust system, indicators and tail light, but we shall see.

The SL I raced had a cracking good megaphones style exhaust system made by Hooker (no longer available) which made the bike look and sound amazing. I never liked the original exhaust which was ugly, prone to damage and quickly rotted out (as did pretty much all of Honda's exhausts in those days.

The reason I am doing all this is to get some practise, experience and put together tools for a more ambitious project I have in mind. That is to turn a street Honda 4 (probably a 400 because that is one of the sweetest bikes I ever rode) into a copy of a racing Honda from the 1960s. That's a long way away and this is just a fun way to practise - I chose the simplest four stroke bikes that I knew of. Now I'm going to have my first go at loading a photo or two.

Then I am going to return to the garage downstairs to complete the rebuild of the first engine. I had it all together then realised I had the cam chain out by one cog on the camshaft sprocket.

Picking the bikes up. The basket case SL100 is nearest camera. There is a seat (almost knackered) and tank (totally knackered).

The SL125 - it's not too bad.

Bendernz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 02:14 PM   #288
JonW
Gnarly Adventurer

Cool! I love pick up shots, they remind me of all the hopes and dreams I always have on pick up day. :)

Sounds like youve got a good plan going on there, ive been rebuilding bikes for years but mostly 2 strokes so the SL and XL are new fodder for me.

Im not sure how hand built that muffler you are talking of was, but i have two more mufflers for mine and one is a megaphone style and referred to as a 'loudfler' by the seller as he said 'it wont muffle anything' LOL. If you have a photo of the Hooker do let me know and I'll check the look of mine.

Being in NZ youve got new exhausts for these being made locally I think, that place does most of the old patterns. i was tempted to get one for my XL.

Really cool to find someone else who likes these and is restoring them... I am nt alone LOL

Thanks to all who have supported the Omega PloProf book at DeskDivers.com - it's very much appreciated
Old 03-04-2010, 05:41 PM   #289
Big Duke 6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Thumb Sl125

SL125- great bike-I got my enduro racing license on one back a long time ago. My brother just brought his 1976 XL350 back to running order. I hope to ride it before he sells it. A lot of good memories on those oldies. Nice pics, Thanks
Big Duke 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 07:00 PM   #290
Old fart
Keen AG100 rider

Oddometer: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Duke 6
SL125- great bike-I got my enduro racing license on one back a long time ago. My brother just brought his 1976 XL350 back to running order. I hope to ride it before he sells it. A lot of good memories on those oldies. Nice pics, Thanks
When you ride it you'll rembember what a crap handling pig of a bike they were
I found a low K one in pretty good nick a couple of years ago, went for a ride and let somebody else buy it for $800. It only had about 8,000K's on it and even had the original HUGE ehaust in very good condition.
Old fart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 08:12 PM   #291
dorkpunch OP
Oops...

Oddometer: 4,942
Apparently I never posted these... I finished this project up right before we moved. It was kind of a rush job, but it turned out pretty nice. Still have to replace the front forks but I think it turned out pretty darn good for an old XL with 20,000 miles on it!!!

No idea what these back shocks are, stole them off of an XL175 parts bike.

Okay, not quite 20,000:

Some temporary home made sidecovers:

"I've been going to this high school for SEVEN YEARS. I'm no dummy!"
-Charles De Mar.
dorkpunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 08:14 PM   #292
dorkpunch OP
Oops...

The before pics:

and the move... Its on there somewhere!

-Charles De Mar.
Old 03-07-2010, 12:22 AM   #293
JonW
Gnarly Adventurer

WOW! I showed my wife, to make her think my 4 (soon to be 5) are normal

Old 03-07-2010, 07:29 AM   #294
dorkpunch OP
Oops...

That picture was taken AFTER I had sold MOST of them cause we were moving... went from 23 to 10.

-Charles De Mar.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:12 AM   #295
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkpunch
That picture was taken AFTER I had sold MOST of them cause we were moving... went from 23 to 10.

Old 03-07-2010, 01:25 PM   #296
Bendernz
Torrential

Oddometer: 520
The XL 250 was one of the best bikes Honda ever made, though I preferred the earlier side carb models. I lived in an area where there were lots of huge subdivisions and all the local guys bought XLs to ride on the hundreds of acres of dirt. There were, literally, hundreds of XL 250s buzzing around.

To be different I bought an MT250, which with a few minor modifications and the head/tail lights removed, made a heck of an all round bike. Typical of the day, I rode it to work Mon-Fri, and took to the dirt Sat/Sun.

The entire headlight/indicator complex on tat bike was removable by undoing two 6mm bolts and unplugging one connector. 5 min job.
Bendernz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 04:25 PM   #297
dorkpunch OP
Oops...

If you look close at the trailer pic, theres a '75 MT250 sittin there...

-Charles De Mar.
Old 03-07-2010, 06:24 PM   #298
JonW
Gnarly Adventurer

And a great looking KTM too

Old 03-07-2010, 06:33 PM   #299
dorkpunch OP
Oops...

which one? theres two. (edit) theres THREE.

-Charles De Mar.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:05 AM   #300
JonW
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkpunch
which one? theres two. (edit) theres THREE.
Wow, ok... best you link me to the individual pics, it will only confuse this thread. LOL