Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2013, 07:44 PM   #1336
Spirit1dog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvd6262 View Post

Although the engine runs great (there is no knocking, and it has a good, deeper-than-you-would-expect note from 2nd gear on up), I decided to check the valve clearances. I have the Haynes manual, and I've watched a bunch of videos online about it. It didn't seem so hard.

Problem #1: Finding Top-dead-center was harder than I thought it would be. I opened the crankshaft access and the viewport for the flywheel markers, and started turning the crank "anti-clockwise" (as stated in the manual). The wheel turned easily about a quarter turn or so, then got harder. If I pushed through, it would snap about another quarter turn past the markers. The only way I could find the "T" mark was by turning the wheel back clockwise.

Problem #2: Once I found the "T", the flywheel wouldn't stay on it. It would spring an inch counter-clockwise. I put a gas can against my wrench so it would hold it in the right spot.

Problem #3: There appears to be zero clearance between the adjuster screws and the valve at "T". I didn't adjust them though because 1) the bike is running fine and 2) I'm not sure my timing is right, so I didn't want to mess up anything.

When the flywheel "T" is visible, I can rock the crankshaft a little bit left and right without the valves moving. I think this means I'm at TDC, but I'm not sure.
Remove the spark plug, it will make it easier to find TDC. Avoid turning the engine clock-ways it could mess up the cam chain. Tight valves will eventually lead to hard starting, take your time and you can get them into spec.
Spirit1dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:18 PM   #1337
pommie john
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvd6262 View Post
Aside: Spirit1dog: Sick (as in awesome) color!

First, my 1981 XL185s is registered and ready for street riding. I almost took her on Skyline Drive (Wasatch Plateau, Utah) today, but my buddy fell through. (grrr.)

Although the engine runs great (there is no knocking, and it has a good, deeper-than-you-would-expect note from 2nd gear on up), I decided to check the valve clearances. I have the Haynes manual, and I've watched a bunch of videos online about it. It didn't seem so hard.

Problem #1: Finding Top-dead-center was harder than I thought it would be. I opened the crankshaft access and the viewport for the flywheel markers, and started turning the crank "anti-clockwise" (as stated in the manual). The wheel turned easily about a quarter turn or so, then got harder. If I pushed through, it would snap about another quarter turn past the markers. The only way I could find the "T" mark was by turning the wheel back clockwise.

Problem #2: Once I found the "T", the flywheel wouldn't stay on it. It would spring an inch counter-clockwise. I put a gas can against my wrench so it would hold it in the right spot.

Problem #3: There appears to be zero clearance between the adjuster screws and the valve at "T". I didn't adjust them though because 1) the bike is running fine and 2) I'm not sure my timing is right, so I didn't want to mess up anything.

When the flywheel "T" is visible, I can rock the crankshaft a little bit left and right without the valves moving. I think this means I'm at TDC, but I'm not sure.

There are two TDC points in a four stroke cylinder. TDC on compression , and TDC on overlap .

You need to adjust the valves on the compression stroke which is when there will be clearance at the valve adjusters. If the engine wants to "turn away" from TDC it's probably on the overlap stroke in which both valves are slightly open.

Turn the engine another 360 degrees and see if it is happy to stay at TDC. I suspect that's the problem and you should find that there is clearance at the valve adjusters too.

Another way to ensure you're at the correct TDC is to watch the inlet valve open, then close... you want the next TDC after it closes.
Old 05-29-2013, 05:22 PM   #1338
EnduroRdr
Woods Racer & D/S Rider

Oddometer: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit1dog View Post
hey guys, new to ADV although I have been reading for some time. Stumbled across this thread. Seems to be about the only place left for the old XL'son the interwebs.

Here are before and after picts of my '80 XL500s. Got it in a trade for a CX500c that was not being ridden.

Link to the build tread on TheGSresourses forum. http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=204473

Before

After

Nice job on the XL500!

Although you could have made good use of that old CX500 too:
Check mine out :

The Build story: http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46633
EnduroRdr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:27 PM   #1339
Spirit1dog
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnduroRdr View Post
Nice job on the XL500!

Although you could have made good use of that old CX500 too:
Check mine out :

The Build story: http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46633

Sweet build. I thought about doing something similar. Then this XL came up and I did a title for title trade. My CX had just sat in the garage and it was a C model besides. I do like the 280# obesity of the XL.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:05 AM   #1340
hammed
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Iran. Tehran. Sorkhe hesarایران . تهران . سرخه حصار

hammed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:54 AM   #1341
RogerF765
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Just picked up a 1980 XL250S

I have always loved the old XL's ever since my dad had an XL 100 when I was a kid and was looking for something that I can use as a commuter / trail bike while I'm rebuilding my '77 Kz1000. I found an '80 XL 250S for $400 through a buddy at work. It has been sitting in a garage for several years and will need the normal stuff to get it back on the road but it's got all of the parts except the turn signals and the baffle for the exhaust. I'm really excited to get this old girl back on the road and do a little back country exploring.

I just love the old bikes. Here's a pic of my '77 Kz that I'm going to be doing a restomod treatment on. Since it's heavily used and abused over the last 4 years and it needs a lot of TLC.
RogerF765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:24 AM   #1342
RogerF765
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyJ650 View Post
Here's a clean little '74 XL100 to add to the fun. It was an ignored, 1700 mile all original (even the Nitto tires) garage find.

My dad had one exactly like that when I was a kid.
RogerF765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:41 AM   #1343
hammed
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
hammed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:35 PM   #1344
Spirit1dog
Adventurer

Updated picture of my XL 500 with new custom seat.

Spirit1dog screwed with this post 09-20-2013 at 04:24 PM
Old 06-15-2013, 08:00 PM   #1345
torvapor
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Hi there! new to the forum and also the world of XLs!

Dont know if im gonna contribute a lot here, but I wanted to at least let you know I read the whole post and I loved it!

here's my new bike, a '85 XL250R. needed a carb, which I bought on ebay a week ago. cant wait to install it and try the bike in the woods!

torvapor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:34 AM   #1346
WECSOG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
Building an XL

Well, I've read this thread all the way through and it has inspired me to build my own twin-shock XL. I remember these things from the '70s; though I never had one, I had friends who did and I always wanted one. I do have an XR500R with the RFVC engine, and I have an XL80S that was given to me a few years ago, but I have never really tried to get it running. For a 215 lb rider, it's too small for anything except a putting around bike anyway.

I have been building a CT90, and I recently bought an XR100 (same year as my XL80S) parts bike for the forks, which I grafted to my Trail 90. I noticed that the basic frame is exactly the same as my XL80. Interesting! So I am planning to convert the XL80 to an XL100 that can still be registered, and give it to my nephew.

I still need an XL that will fit me, though. So I just bought a 1972 XL250 frame. My intention is to build an XL with metal tank and fenders for the original XL flavor, and install an engine that will allow me to go 55 mph on the road, putt around on the trails, and hopefully get 60+ mpg. This is not gonna be a resto; more like a rat bike that retains most of the flavor of an original XL.

I think an XL500 engine will fit, and that is an option although I know it won't get much over 30 mpg. I'm sure an XL350 engine will fit, and that is a strong option. On the other hand, I would consider an SL/XL125 engine because I think it would meet my performance goals while getting perhaps 80 mpg. In fact, the only real reason I chose a 250 frame instead of 125 has more to do with the size and strength of the frame than the size of the engine it can accept.
I've even considered using a brand new Lifan XR200 clone engine. The Lifan GY200 dual sport bike does all of the above while getting 75 mpg, according to a friend who has one.

Bottom line; I want a simple, reliable bike that retains the '70s XL flavor and meets my performance goals. I know a stone-stock XL250 would do that, but since that's not what I have, I want to consider all alternatives. Thoughts?
WECSOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:55 AM   #1347
dirt_bloke
No idea

Oddometer: 719
Personally I'd go for a 500, you can find them in a chook shed,

Pull the thing apart,

Do stuff to it,

Then go dirt track racing,

You can also crash and break your leg!

Fun for the whole family!
Old 06-17-2013, 03:45 AM   #1348
Janosh
Old Man

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt_bloke View Post
Personally I'd go for a 500, you can find them in a chook shed,

Pull the thing apart,

Do stuff to it,

Then go dirt track racing,

You can also crash and break your leg!

Fun for the whole family!
Thanks for the pics and the reminder, at 69 I suppose should be mindful. I just got my 81 XR500R running.
Janosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:09 AM   #1349
Sidecar Jockey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 361
I need a set of standard bore (89mm) piston rings for an OEM Honda piston for a 1979 XR500.

The factory part number is:
13011-429-005

I an not find these for asle anywhere. There are a few on Ebay, but I would prefer to avoid buying something as critical as rings from some random guy who had them sitting in his garage for 20 years...

Where do you guys buy parts like these for your old Honda thumpers? Is there a website that specializes in them?

Thanks!!
Sidecar Jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:07 PM   #1350
Al Tuna
PUI... Deal with it

Oddometer: 11,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidecar Jockey View Post
I need a set of standard bore (89mm) piston rings for an OEM Honda piston for a 1979 XR500.

The factory part number is:
13011-429-005

I an not find these for asle anywhere. There are a few on Ebay, but I would prefer to avoid buying something as critical as rings from some random guy who had them sitting in his garage for 20 years...

Where do you guys buy parts like these for your old Honda thumpers? Is there a website that specializes in them?

Thanks!!
If you have a local machine shop that does motorcycle cylinder boring/honing.
They might be able to put you in touch with a supplier. When I had my ATC 200 done, my machinist supplied the new piston and rings.

Under construction
Al Tuna is online now   Reply With Quote