Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2013, 12:29 PM   #1351
Sidecar Jockey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Tuna View Post
If you have a local machine shop that does motorcycle cylinder boring/honing.
They might be able to put you in touch with a supplier. When I had my ATC 200 done, my machinist supplied the new piston and rings.
Already tried that, but good idea. My local Honda dealer said they could not get them and my local machine shop that does a lot of bikes said that they could not get the rings either...

I found them on:
http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/

Actually, this website seems to have almost every single part for my 1979 Xr500 that I want. I have never dealt with them before, so hopefully the inventory their website shows is accurate...

I would still be interested other palces to buy the vintage Honda XL / XR parts though...
Sidecar Jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:38 PM   #1352
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommie john View Post
There are two TDC points in a four stroke cylinder. TDC on compression , and TDC on overlap .

You need to adjust the valves on the compression stroke which is when there will be clearance at the valve adjusters. If the engine wants to "turn away" from TDC it's probably on the overlap stroke in which both valves are slightly open.

Turn the engine another 360 degrees and see if it is happy to stay at TDC. I suspect that's the problem and you should find that there is clearance at the valve adjusters too.

Another way to ensure you're at the correct TDC is to watch the inlet valve open, then close... you want the next TDC after it closes.
They want to turn away on TDC of the compression stroke as well. I found that using a larger wrench helps. When you get close to the spot where the "T" mark is, make sure the wieght of the wrench/breaker bar is holding the motor from rotating. I always tried to stop just before the "T", because after TDC the motor will turn away worse.

I gave up trying to use feeler gauges to set the gap, because they always rubbed on the tiny valve cover openings. I just wiggled the rocker arms, and set the exhaust a tiny bit looser than the intakes. After just a few tries, I could get it right on the first attempt.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:25 AM   #1353
Sidecar Jockey
Gnarly Adventurer

Does anyone know a source for new CDI units for a 1979-1980 XR500?

Google search came up with nothing but some beat up used ones on Ebay... but I need one because mine is fried.

Alternatively, are there any 'modern' ignition systems that work for this bike? I do not mind modifying the wiring harness.

I found this article about adapting the newer xr600 CDI boxes to the older (it specifies 1983 and newer) xr500:
http://www.4strokes.com/tech/honda/x...eplacement.asp

I wonder if this would work on a 1979-1980 xr500? Tose boxes only cost $50, so I might try it. Has anyone done a similar conversion?

Sidecar Jockey screwed with this post 06-18-2013 at 10:09 AM
Old 06-18-2013, 12:10 PM   #1354
cvd6262
n00by-est

Oddometer: 17
Headlight replacement options 1981 XL185S

After a week of daily riding to/from work (20 miles per day), my sealed beam headlight blew out. I understand this is fairly common with the old XLs with the headlight circuit coming off the stator. I could pay $40 for a new headlight on eBay, but then it'd probably blow again.

What are my options? Is there another model XL (or a later year) that doesn't use the sealed beam headlight? I'd rather just replace the bulb than the whole unit.

If I can't find a non-sealed unit, I'll probably fab my own 6-volt LED system with volt/amp regulators, which would give me an excuse to use the 3D printer we just got at work. (Has anyone tried that before?)
cvd6262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:23 PM   #1355
Spirit1dog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvd6262 View Post
After a week of daily riding to/from work (20 miles per day), my sealed beam headlight blew out. I understand this is fairly common with the old XLs with the headlight circuit coming off the stator. I could pay $40 for a new headlight on eBay, but then it'd probably blow again.

What are my options? Is there another model XL (or a later year) that doesn't use the sealed beam headlight? I'd rather just replace the bulb than the whole unit.

If I can't find a non-sealed unit, I'll probably fab my own 6-volt LED system with volt/amp regulators, which would give me an excuse to use the 3D printer we just got at work. (Has anyone tried that before?)

Try this place for reflectors. 6 volt H4 bulbs are available also.

http://www.candlepowerinc.com/

and here

http://store.candlepower.com/534inhe1.html

And here

http://store.candlepower.com/bconah4ha60b.html

I'm not connected to these people at all just good products and great service. Will be doing this conversion to my XL soon. Have used their products in the past and been happy with the results.

Spirit1dog screwed with this post 06-18-2013 at 02:31 PM
Spirit1dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:21 PM   #1356
skorpioskorpio
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
I don't know what headlight the 185 uses, but most of the Asian/Euro/Australian market bikes use a reflector with a replaceable lamp you may want to figure out what the cross reference part number is. For 72-75 (and maybe 76-78) XL250s and XL350s it's 33100-439-003, that may work for you as well but I really don't know. The 250s and 350s use an odd 5" diameter reflector. The other alternative is to adapt a 5 3/4 E2 reflector, which is what I did, my bikes have Cibie H4 reflectors now.
skorpioskorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:03 PM   #1357
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvd6262 View Post

I love the 185. I had an '83 that would start 1st kick every time, with no need to find the compression stroke.

My XL600R had a UFO headight, but I don't know where the previous owner got it. It was nice and bright, and lasted for 10+ years. That bulb was square, though.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:39 AM   #1358
Sidecar Jockey
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidecar Jockey View Post
Already tried that, but good idea. My local Honda dealer said they could not get them and my local machine shop that does a lot of bikes said that they could not get the rings either...

I found them on:
http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/

Actually, this website seems to have almost every single part for my 1979 Xr500 that I want. I have never dealt with them before, so hopefully the inventory their website shows is accurate...

I would still be interested other palces to buy the vintage Honda XL / XR parts though...

Update: CheapCycleParts canceled my oreder, they can NOT get the OEM honda rings, even though they are listed on the website.

After extensive searching and calling, I have not found anyone who can get me OEM rings.

Amazon.com sells Wiseco piston kits for the XL/XR models dirt cheap. I got a forged 10.5:1 piston with rings, pin, and clips for $150 including two day shipping. You can not beat this price!! I just thought someone else may benefit from this info...
Old 06-19-2013, 12:03 PM   #1359
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Quote:
Update: CheapCycleParts canceled my oreder, they can NOT get the OEM honda rings, even though they are listed on the website.

After extensive searching and calling, I have not found anyone who can get me OEM rings.

Amazon.com sells Wiseco piston kits for the XL/XR models dirt cheap. I got a forged 10.5:1 piston with rings, pin, and clips for $150 including two day shipping. You can not beat this price!! I just thought someone else may benefit from this info...
Honda discontinued a lot of those parts, so they may be just gone forever. Here are a few places to call:

xlintperformance.com

flashredbikes.com

XRsonly.com
Old 06-19-2013, 12:21 PM   #1360
FLICKIT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 746
Quote:

Not cheap, but CMSNL in Europe have a lot of old OEM parts:
http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-xr500-197...1.html#results

:)
FLICKIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 03:36 PM   #1361
Sidecar Jockey
Gnarly Adventurer

I tried:
CMNSL

xlintperformance.com

flashredbikes.com

XRsonly.com

Powroll

No one could get rings for the OEM Honda pistons. I think they are gone forever, unless you patiently wait or a set on Ebay.

Thanks for the links guys. I think the Weisco piston is the way to go... especially at $150!!
Old 06-22-2013, 11:48 AM   #1362
bjoseph
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Parts!

I have a shoebox full of parts from a 1983 XL250 project. Almost all are brand new. I don't have the bike anymore. Who wants them??

There is an ad posted in the flea market
bjoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:40 PM   #1363
Snr Moment
Unafarkler

Oddometer: 2,186
WTB 1976 XL250 Cylinder Head

Looking for a cylinder head for a 1976 XL 250. Planning to pick up a bike with a cracked head at the plug. Was also wondering what years beyond 1976 that would have the same head.

YAAK
Snr Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:19 PM   #1364
dorkpunch OP
Oops...

Oddometer: 4,939
the '76 250 is the odd duck of the bunch- only made it that one year in the states... Not sure if the '76-'78 XL 350 heads are the same or not but I'm pretty sure none of the '72-'75 cylinders will fit and I know the heads won't. The bottom end is pretty much identical to the later 350's though as I understand.

"I've been going to this high school for SEVEN YEARS. I'm no dummy!"
-Charles De Mar.
dorkpunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:24 PM   #1365
Snr Moment
Unafarkler

Oddometer: 2,186
Looks like I'm going to start with the heli-coil idea first. If I had any sense, I should go get a different year XL. Unfortunately, I don't.
Should never have sold the one I had.

YAAK
Snr Moment is offline   Reply With Quote