Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2013, 08:14 AM   #1441
WECSOG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
I do need to sit on one to see what size they were.
There is an sl100 for sale local, was that the same size but smaller motor, or was it a smaller bike?
I'm not sure about the sl100, but I have an '81 xr100 and an '81 xl80s, and they use the exact same frame. The 100 just has longer forks and swingarm. I know that doesn't really answer your question, but it is a small piece of the puzzle.
'74 Jialonda XL70/125
www.possumliving.com
WECSOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:56 AM   #1442
skorpioskorpio
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 408
Quote:
Thanks for the info.
I am 55 now, 6 foot, 190 pounds, and I know the smaller bikes are not going to be like KTM's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaLF6bQ5Lq0

That is the sort of thing I want to do.
It looks to be working for that guy...

There is an sl100 for sale local, was that the same size but smaller motor, or was it a smaller bike?

I had an xl250 back in the 70's and it was a great bike, and if I could find one of those not too far away I will pick it up, but I want to keep my options open.

The dirt is 5 miles from my house, mostly sand and hard pack, all flat, and you can go anyplace and do anything if you are legal.

I want something light, low, and old, with enough range to do 100 miles.

But that sl125 looks like a LOT of fun....
The youtube vid is actually a really good example, notice that that bike is bouncing around and almost bottoming out (actually not almost it is bottoming out) on terrain that isn't all that rough with that rider. If you take the typical young rider used to a modern bike and put him on an old SL/XL he'll feel beat up by lunch. Any of these old bikes the originally marginal suspension is going to be an order of magnitude worse than it was new, and like I said the 4 valve bikes have more to work with if you want to tweak the suspension then the 2 valve bikes.

The SL100 is smaller than the SL125, 19" front, 17" rear vs 21" front, 18" rear. It will be harder to find tires for, the forks are basically SL70 forks made longer, top triple is stamped sheet metal and the cap holds the fork leg to the triple. Steel fenders. Also the SL100 is a battery ignition, and the charging systems weren't kind to batteries when they were new, and of course everybody knows they have the worst electrical systems ever made. I used to race a first year XL100 which is the exact same bike as the last SL100 when I was 13, I lost a lot. At 6 foot you would probably look like you were sitting on a toy on an XL100 it was made to be a transitional mid size bike between an SL70/XR75 and the 125s.

Most of these bike you'd be hard pressed to go 100 miles on trails on a tank riding anything resembling spirited riding. If I was looking for a 2 valve bike, and wanted it to be functional but have that early look, I'd be looking for an XL not an SL and I don't remember the year they made the switch but try and find one with AC ignition that will run without a battery, like all the 4 valves do. 6 volt battery ignitions are a nightmare, not enough voltage, your entire electrical system needs to be in tip top shape to run consistently, any voltage drop and things don't work, bike runs worse when the lights are on, can't bump start it, etc, etc...
skorpioskorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 01:15 PM   #1443
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,291
Thanks for the info!
I would not think about the sl100, too small a motor, let alone the bike.

I grew up on limited suspension bikes and I am used to it.
New better shocks are easy, fork work is easy, power is not needed, I like thrashing a bike to get it to go.
We used to bottom out the suspensions of our bikes all the time, you were not riding very hard if you did not!

Sitting on an sl125 would allow me to tell if it was any good for me.
I test rode a 1972 xl250 and it was fine, but I would not mind less weight or power.
NJ-Brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:30 PM   #1444
FLICKIT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by skorpioskorpio View Post
Most of these bike you'd be hard pressed to go 100 miles on trails on a tank riding anything resembling spirited riding.
100 miles is about right, I've been preparing an XL185s to do some poking around places that are too gnarly for the big bike, much the same bike as the XL125, just more CC's, 100 miles is about what I get out of the 7L tank, but that's a fairly decent days riding on a bike that size... (in the process of putting a 20L tank on it though)

A little on the gutless side but they're basically the same engine as the XR200, you can bore them to 200cc and use an XR cam if you want more poke... The twin shocks are fairly forgiving and the size isn't too bad for someone 6'+, bar risers help...

Good fun little bikes...I went this way because they're so similar to the old-school trials bikes (go anywhere) and can be registered for road use...

FLICKIT screwed with this post 09-03-2013 at 05:13 PM
FLICKIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:40 PM   #1445
pvangel
Team AARP

Oddometer: 2,325
Quote:
Thanks for the info.
I am 55 now, 6 foot, 190 pounds, and I know the smaller bikes are not going to be like KTM's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaLF6bQ5Lq0

That is the sort of thing I want to do.
It looks to be working for that guy...

I had an xl250 back in the 70's and it was a great bike, and if I could find one of those not too far away I will pick it up, but I want to keep my options open.

The dirt is 5 miles from my house, mostly sand and hard pack, all flat, and you can go anyplace and do anything if you are legal.

I want something light, low, and old, with enough range to do 100 miles.

But that sl125 looks like a LOT of fun....

Not a SL but a modern version that is set up for 180 lbs and good suspension.

I am 54 and love it!

It's for sale in the FM,

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=914492
pvangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:51 PM   #1446
NJ-Brett
Brett

100 miles would be tops for me.
And there is whatever you want except rocks in the woods.
Lots of sand, wet parts, fire breaks, nice double track.
It was no problem on my old 1969 Daytona. That bike did ok even with K70 tires on it.

I thought about an xt225 and a dr200, they are fun, but I want something old.
I just need to keep watching craigslist I guess.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:54 PM   #1447
NJ-Brett
Brett

Looks like a lot of fun.
Modern, but fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvangel View Post
Not a SL but a modern version that is set up for 180 lbs and good suspension.

I am 54 and love it!

It's for sale in the FM,

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=914492
Old 09-03-2013, 06:07 PM   #1448
ADK
_____

Oddometer: 8,130
suzuki ts 125 or 185.
ADK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:21 PM   #1449
skorpioskorpio
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADK View Post
suzuki ts 125 or 185.
Hey! Who's working the door today, how did this guy get in here?
Old 09-03-2013, 11:18 PM   #1450
Al Tuna
PUI... Deal with it

Oddometer: 11,925
Quote:
Hey! Who's working the door today, how did this guy get in here?
Your the one bitchin about the early Hondas.

I rode a SL 125 through deals gap in 1975... The gap store was a gas stop.

Under construction
Al Tuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:23 AM   #1451
skorpioskorpio
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Tuna View Post
Your the one bitchin about the early Hondas.
Bitching? Constructive summary. I stand behind my XLs, literally:

Old 09-04-2013, 11:31 AM   #1452
NJ-Brett
Brett

Very nice!

Quote:
Bitching? Constructive summary. I stand behind my XLs, literally:

Old 09-06-2013, 07:00 PM   #1453
TwoWheeled76
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Takes a Village to Raise an XL Idiot

Hello all,
First timer here-also the proud parent of a 72 XL250 I got to bum off a man with too many bikes for $500(pretty sure it was a damn good deal!).
So... have had street bikes in the past but never had to get too far into surgery with them. This little lady will be a bit different and I'm looking for some help.

She's currently set up for dirt only-previous owner stripped the electricals down to the charging system: no lights, wiring, battery, etc.
I want to get it back to street legal trim, which I believe in California means lights/blinkers/horn/speedo. I'm trying to keep it with period parts, so I'm hoping for a little guidance from anyone who's taken similar steps.
I'm guessing the action plan to get her street going is:

1. Lighting/Horn -need wiring harness + 6v lights and horn + ???
2. Speedo- This one is a bit harder. From what I can tell the current front end is from a mid 70's Bultaco Alpina as it has a Betor fork and Leleu hub with no speedo hook up. Anyone have any experience on running a standard speedo off the rear wheel? I know there is the aftermarket digital route, but I can't bring myself to throwing one on this old beauty. I'd like to set it up with a period looking piece.

Last goal is to get the front end re-laced to a 18" rim and get some class C rubber on it for some vintage flat track in the various NorCal events- should be properly fun and scary!

Thanks in advance for any tips on the wiring front-it's much needed:/
TwoWheeled76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:59 PM   #1454
DoubleBit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
I've had a few of the xl175s the size was right for trail rides and I may have been squishing it a tad at 5' 9'' 240 lbs. but it seemed okay for fun rides. The 175s are however sort of loners, parts availability is a bit tough. The 100, 125, 185, 200s share a bunch engine wise. and parts still seems easy enough to get. If I were looking for another light trail bike I'd look into the 185/200s. The old two strokes are also good, but really belong in a different thread.

Riding whatever runs, wherever I want.
DoubleBit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:03 AM   #1455
73xl250
n00b

Oddometer: 7
1973 Honda XL250 with 186 original miles - What a find

Sorry I posted this in another spot before finding this thread for Xl's.

I just purchased a 1973 xl250 with 186 original miles. The fellow had purchased it new and stored in indoors under cover since. Still has the original 1973 plate on it. Tires look new even. Owners manual under the seat is still in its plastic. Tools have never been out of the bad.

Before he put it up for sale he had the carbs cleaned and new battery put in. Bike starts on one or two kicks without the choke.

No rust anywhere, bike still looks new just a little dirty.

First thing I am going to do is take the tank off and make sure it is super clean inside.

Any tips and what else I should do. Cleaning tips , should I take bike apart to clean or best to leave together and clean what I can?

I bought this to ride but now I am thinking it is maybe to nice to ride, may be the best example of this bike in the world?

73xl250 is offline   Reply With Quote