User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2014, 06:41 AM   #1
clintonroy OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Drx-650

It's just a DR650SE with a RMZ fork swap, but it handles and rides so different from stock that I thought it deserved a new name.

I retained the stock wheel and rotor. I used a top hat spacer and reversed the axle. There are a lot of pictures of that on the web, so won't bore you with it.

To use the stock rotor I had a couple pieces of 5/8" T-6 6061 (Update, I had to shave about 1/8", maybe less, off the back of the tabs because the rivets on the rotor were rubbing on the adapter. So to do this again I would use 1/2" aluminum) welded to the caliper adapter:

The finished product.

Installed. If I were to do this again, I would probably clock the caliper up a little.

clintonroy screwed with this post 07-30-2014 at 09:50 AM Reason: Update
clintonroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 06:56 AM   #2
clintonroy OP
Adventurer

I was the first to get a RSW Custom Top Triple for this conversion. With this triple I keep the steering lock and speedo.

I had a couple minor issues that I was able to resolve myself. Mine was the prototype. I let Ron know and as far as I know the issues were remedied.

I tried to bolt on the ignition switch it wouldn't line up with the bolts. I had to notch out a spot (circled in blue). I don't have any measurements for it, but with the triple off the bike and the ignition switch in place it was easy to see where it needed some clearance. The second problem I ran into was the pin for the lock didn't match up. I ended up cutting down the bosses (not sure if that is the right word, but I circled them in red) so that the length (measured from the outside) from the top of the triple down to the bottom of the boss is 1.650". The lock now works perfectly.

This top triple is a beautiful piece and I couldn't be happier with it.

Here it is with the original RMZ triple.

Here it is on edge compared to the RMZ and DR triple. You can see how robust the RSW triple is.

I had to slightly notch the right DRZ headlight stay to clear the ignition switch, but it wasn't a big deal.

Marked in white where it needed to be notched.

As you can see not much was needed.

I used the RMZ bottom triple and made my own steering stops. To decide on the placement I put the ignition into lock and placed the stop there. For the other side I just matched it.

The original DR fender doesn't bolt to the 2012 RMZ triple so I made an adapter plate for it. I know I could have gotten a different fender, but for what ever reason, I actually like the looks of the original fender.

Ron now makes a bottom triple and if I was to do this again, I would probably buy one.

Old 07-08-2014, 07:04 AM   #3
clintonroy OP
Adventurer

To gain a little clearance between the oil cooler and the bottom triple I slotted the top hole in the oil cooler mount and made a spacer to keep it in place. I also had to bend the cooler lines a little. They are tough to bend.

It's not much clearance, but does clear.

This probably isn't an issue with the bottom RSW triple because their bolts are on the front, not on the side.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:08 AM   #4
el capitan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Im riding a DR 650 FE (WP 48 fork off a Husaberg) and know exactly what you feel like ...
el capitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:12 AM   #5
clintonroy OP
Adventurer

I wanted to run the speedometer cable over the fork guard like the RMX. Unfortunately it was very tight with the forks at full extension so I ordered a custom 1.5" longer speedometer cable from Motion Pro.

I used the original cable guide on the fender. I bent it out a bit.

I bought RMX cable clamps for the fork guard. They just rivet on.

Old 07-08-2014, 07:15 AM   #6
clintonroy OP
Adventurer

I'm using the original brake line for now. I'm thinking of getting a custom RMZ one made with 25mm extra below the clamp to make up for the difference in caliper mounting and a couple of extra inches on to keep the hose out of my speedometer line of sight. It's a little thing, but it bugs me

I had to cut 3" off the hard plastic casing and move the boot up to be able to clamp it to the fork guard. I also clocked it down a little on the master cylinder(no picture)

Old 07-08-2014, 07:18 AM   #7
clintonroy OP
Adventurer

And finally I gave it a new name. I'm not sure how well the new emblem will stick, but ACERBIS was still on the flattened spot of the tank after a year. I'm hoping that they did something to that flat spot during manufacture that will allow my emblem to stick as well as their name. I'll let you guys know if it fails.

Old 07-08-2014, 11:14 AM   #8
Tex76
Motersykle Advntyers

Oddometer: 858
Awesome write up and great work all around. Thanks!
The Lost Texan, Wanders East
Tex76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 03:13 PM   #9
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,089
Is this new triple listed on the RSW site? I have the DR650 page up but I'm not sure if it is. The $145 price is awesome if it is.

Your write-up is great.. I'm on the verge of doing this swap myself!

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:42 PM   #10
clintonroy OP
Adventurer

Thanks for the props guys.

Rob, the triple on his web site is for a stock DR. My RMZ triple was $20.00 more. Still a great deal. He really should list the conversion triples as well. You'll have to give Ron a call. He's a good guy and easy to talk to. I think he is making these as they are ordered. The good thing is he has the plans drawn up for the triples, so as long as he has the material on hand he should be able to whip one up pretty quick.

Do the swap. You won't regret it. You'll be amazed at how much confidence the new suspension inspires both on and off the road.

clintonroy screwed with this post 07-08-2014 at 10:58 PM
Old 07-09-2014, 02:02 PM   #11
JagLite
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 977
Cool2 Forked again!

Great write up!
Nice details for the conversion.
Thanks for taking the time to share with us
James
JagLite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 04:10 AM   #12
Wildcard342
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Hi, really like how you have done this. I was wondering where you got the top hat spacer from or if you made it yourself? Do you have the dimensions if you made it your self?

Just confirming that with your modified caliper bracket it all hooked up to the rmz forks ( what year and model forks btw did you use) and the original dr650 wheel and disc?

Are you running bar risers and if so do you think you could use the standard cables if you weren't?

I like that triple set from Ron, would you know if the standard dr mudguard bolts up to his new bottom tree? Also are you running the standard springs and oil in the forks and what weight are you?

Lastly I can't find good pictures of the way the reversed axle and top hat spacer all fit together so it would be wonderful if you could add some pictures of that to your write up.

Thanks for taking the time to do the write up as I have been thinking about doing this for a while. The DR forks are crap as. Sorry for all the questions but I think it would help others like me contemplating this swap if all the info was able to be sourced in your writeup.

Thanks,

Gordon
Old 07-16-2014, 11:21 PM   #13
clintonroy OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcard342 View Post
Hi, really like how you have done this. I was wondering where you got the top hat spacer from or if you made it yourself? Do you have the dimensions if you made it your self?

Just confirming that with your modified caliper bracket it all hooked up to the rmz forks ( what year and model forks btw did you use) and the original dr650 wheel and disc?

Are you running bar risers and if so do you think you could use the standard cables if you weren't?

I like that triple set from Ron, would you know if the standard dr mudguard bolts up to his new bottom tree? Also are you running the standard springs and oil in the forks and what weight are you?

Lastly I can't find good pictures of the way the reversed axle and top hat spacer all fit together so it would be wonderful if you could add some pictures of that to your write up.

Thanks for taking the time to do the write up as I have been thinking about doing this for a while. The DR forks are crap as. Sorry for all the questions but I think it would help others like me contemplating this swap if all the info was able to be sourced in your writeup.

Thanks,

Gordon
Hi Gordon,
I made the top hat bushing myself out of t6-6061 aluminum. I have misplaced the plans right now, but pm'd you a link to someone else's plans. His are imperial measurements, where as mine were metric, me being Canadian and all..

The forks are off a 2012 RM-Z250. I bought them off ebay. The previous owner had them set up for a 175lbs intermediate rider. I'm not sure what exactly has been changed in them. I'm running 5w oil but think I'm going to try a little less oil, maybe 250ml in the outer tube to soften it up a bit.

For the caliper adapter, I didn't take pictures, but here is the process:
I put the caliper and pads on it; slipped it on the rotor; used a ty-rap on the brake lever to snug it up a little on the rotor; shimmed the caliper out 1/8" from the rotor; tightened the ty-rap there by clamping the rotor tight; then using a transfer punch (and some .005" brass shim stock because the bolt holes on the fork bracket have some play) marked the top hole; I pulled everything apart and drilled and tapped my first hole; then put it all back together with the top bolted up shimmed the bottom of the caliper out again and ty-raped the brake lever again and repeated the process for the bottom hole. I left the shim stock in there.

My bars are at stock height. The reason for the longer cables is the RMZ forks are taller than the DR forks.

I'm pretty sure Ron designed his lower triple to use the stock DR fender.

I hope this helps, I wish I would have thought to take more pictures.
Old 07-16-2014, 11:58 PM   #14
Wildcard342
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Thanks for that info. It seems pretty easy to do especially using Rons triple clamps. I was looking at using the 08 rmz forks as they seem to be good value and I will be getting them from the USA to here in Australia. Need to check if the 08 ones and 12 ones are the same diameter though. Just need to get the tophat done somewhere and weld the caliper bracket like you have done.

The cables are not a problem. Pity Ron doesn't make a kit of the bracket, tophat and triple clamps. Now that would be good. Thanks for replying and for the really good info.

Have a good one,

Gordon
Old 07-17-2014, 06:11 AM   #15
clintonroy OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcard342 View Post
Thanks for that info. It seems pretty easy to do especially using Rons triple clamps. I was looking at using the 08 rmz forks as they seem to be good value and I will be getting them from the USA to here in Australia. Need to check if the 08 ones and 12 ones are the same diameter though. Just need to get the tophat done somewhere and weld the caliper bracket like you have done.

The cables are not a problem. Pity Ron doesn't make a kit of the bracket, tophat and triple clamps. Now that would be good. Thanks for replying and for the really good info.

Have a good one,

Gordon
Hi Gordon,
The 2008 and 2012 RMZ forks are both 47mm Showas. You'll have no problem using Ron's triples. The top hat is simple and if you ask Ron, I'm sure he'd be able to whip one up for a reasonable price. As for the brakes, what some of people are doing is getting a Warp9 320mm brake kit from http://www.warp9racing.com/index.html and getting Kevin to substitute the DR caliper adapter for a RMZ caliper adapter. You'll have to call him as the kit isn't listed on his web site.