Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2012, 02:10 PM   #136
Bulldogs2k
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 lunger View Post
I think I just sold our 230 to a very nice young lady today. If she comes back and takes it, she will have gotten a very clean bike for a very good price. I hope she enjoys it and it gets the love that it should!

Life is good!
How much did you sell it for, if you don't mind me asking?
Bulldogs2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 04:07 PM   #137
1 lunger
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,222
08 in perfect condition w/ 5500 miles on the clock, very very clean $2750. That's $250 less than I had asked.

Life is good!
1 lunger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 05:50 PM   #138
Bulldogs2k
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 lunger View Post
08 in perfect condition w/ 5500 miles on the clock, very very clean $2750. That's $250 less than I had asked.

Life is good!
Nice, I always toy with the idea of selling, I have an 08 with 11,000 miles and wondered how much I could get for it.

With that said, I want to keep the little girl every time I fire her up.
Bulldogs2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:30 PM   #139
grnd0
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Have a nice one for sale in FL. 08 Honda CRF230L, 2,500 miles, excellent
condition, new Michelin T63 on rear, new Pirelli MT21 on front, skid plate,
small LED blinkers, small tail light & plate assembly, FMF Q4 muffler,
DE smog-ed. Have all stock parts that were removed including tires.
Pics have the stock tires. $2950

grnd0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:38 PM   #140
ADVNCW
Banned

Oddometer: 341
Minimalist touring on the Washington Backcountry Discovery Route

On Bethel Ridge, WABDR.

The CRF230L does great! Fun to ride, easy on dirt or gravel rough roads. Cruised 65 MPH cruising on highway loaded. The D606 tires are nice. The windshield adds a lot of comfort. The Seat Concepts Seat is comfortable, plus I wear bike shorts with good chamois (padding). The 1 7/8 handlebar risers make for comfortable sitting or good for hours of standing on the XRs Only footpegs. Flatland skid plate. Emissions canister removed and rejetted, more power. K& N air filter.

Nice, light, easy to ride.

ADVNCW screwed with this post 09-03-2012 at 06:48 PM
ADVNCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:26 AM   #141
dankatz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
DR350SE to CRF230L?

Anyone move from the DR350 to the CRF230L or has both? I am seriously thinking of going to a smaller bike mostly so that my wife can feel more comfortable. I also noticed the XT225 is very similar in specs - have no idea how the character is. Super sherpas are no where to be found. I like the reviews I read of the CRF. Any thoughts?
dankatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:04 PM   #142
PineyMountainRacing
Oops....

Oddometer: 2,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankatz View Post
Anyone move from the DR350 to the CRF230L or has both? I am seriously thinking of going to a smaller bike mostly so that my wife can feel more comfortable. I also noticed the XT225 is very similar in specs - have no idea how the character is. Super sherpas are no where to be found. I like the reviews I read of the CRF. Any thoughts?
I picked up a left over '09 230L last April and have found it to be a lot of fun, esp up in the mountains of NC/TN/GA and on the Forest Service roads. I rode some 225/250's and an older KLR 250 and really liked the looks, fit and finish and "power" of the Honda better. I have a couple other dual sports, a DRZ that is mainly set up for dirt / single track, a KLR that I commute on and a new to me XR650R that I plan to motard and ride at the track and maybe make my DD (if I sell the KLR).

I stiffened up the preload, and added 1 washer to the needle (after the de-smog) and with the 6-speed transmission and low gearing it is a hoot to ride. Works fine for NC because the only roads I ride there are 2-lane, it would not make a Interstate cruiser. Seems very happy around 50-60 mph (indicated). My GF likes it very much and is very comfy on it - very confidence inspiring. She's had several bikes that were too tall or too much and seems to get along with the little Honda the best of all.

Good luck!
PineyMountainRacing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:50 PM   #143
dankatz
Gnarly Adventurer

New owner in Boston, MA

Picked up a slightly beat up 2009 with 2800 miles for my wife (on road) and for me to learn off road . Thinking of adding hand guards (the Honda ones) and a rear rack, though not sure about the rack. I plan to also use it as my winter commuter. Any common mods? I have a bunch of street bikes, so not too eager to spend too much time modifying this one.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:56 PM   #144
grubbie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
The honda handguards are really not worth much, have them on my wifes bike. They will block wind but thats it. Go with bark busters or acerbis, they will protect your hands and your levers. I like the honda rear rack. Best mods? Same with any street legal dual sport......uncork it. Open up the airbox and get a pipe. I like the FMF Q4 but its pretty spendy. Sounds good on the bike and not too loud. But, even if you can't put the money into mods, it's a great bike right out of the box. Enjoy!
Old 09-22-2012, 04:59 AM   #145
microdoc
microdoc

Oddometer: 20
Nice rig ADVNCW

Nice setup, ADVNCW. Who makes your horseshoe duffle? Looks to be just the right size.
98 R1200C, 88 R100GS, 78 R80/7, 08 CRF230L
BMW MOA #89329
microdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:04 PM   #146
BanhXeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Giantloop. That's the great basin model. Just ordered mine yesterday. Would have settled with the Coyote model for my 230 if I had not chatted with ADVNCW about the size and fit on these bikes. Thanks again for the tips ADVNCW looking forward to next ride report from up there.

Link to Giantloop: http://www.giantloopmoto.com/

BanhXeo screwed with this post 09-22-2012 at 12:05 PM Reason: added link
BanhXeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:21 PM   #147
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
" I have a hard time paying $5-6k for a DR650 with 20yo technology compared to the WR250R." the 20 year old technology is what makes it such a good deal, AND such a great bike. The same thing applies to the CRF230L, with it's simple, air cooled carbureted engine. I admit I didn't like the 230L as much as my XT225, but after seeing the third world made, poser CRF250L, with it's "new technology" I would gladly pay the $500 more for a Japan made CRF230L. Unfortunately that choice is no longer available.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:27 PM   #148
dankatz
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
" I have a hard time paying $5-6k for a DR650 with 20yo technology compared to the WR250R." the 20 year old technology is what makes it such a good deal, AND such a great bike. The same thing applies to the CRF230L, with it's simple, air cooled carbureted engine. I admit I didn't like the 230L as much as my XT225, but after seeing the third world made, poser CRF250L, with it's "new technology" I would gladly pay the $500 more for a Japan made CRF230L. Unfortunately that choice is no longer available.
Hmm..I just picked up a CRF230L and was considering an XT225. What did you like better on the XT225 than the CRF?
Old 09-24-2012, 11:13 AM   #149
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
First of all, while I have over 30,000 miles on XT225s, and know them inside and out, I have only sat on the CRF230L, and can only judge it by what I have read here. I don't see anything wrong with it, it is a little lower (both in seat height and ground clearance) than than the XT225. I am 6' 220, and the XT fits me a little better. I also see some complaints on the CRF's highway performance. Neither are good long distance highway bikes, they were not designed to be. But I have put 500 miles on the XT225 in one day on the freeway, averaging 60 mph. I have had it up to 74 mph GPS. On flat ground with no wind. Stock, either bike may have advantages over the other depending on the rider.

It's modifications where the XT shines. Clarke makes a 4 gallon plastic tank for it, which I have found greatly increases it's range. Mine has a kickstarter, pirated from a TTR-225. Both bikes have the same engine. There is a guy on here named Cigar Mike who makes, or used to make a centerstand for it. It has saved me more than once. I like to ride deep into the AZ desert, often alone, and have had a few flat tires. There is nothing in the desert to prop a bike up on, and the centerstand makes it easy to get the wheels off. There is another guy on here named Bryan Swenson who used to make excellent racks for the XT, laser cut steel, and only $69. You could bolt or weld anything to them, and they were solid as a rock. I have 2 of them. ProCycle also makes a carb mounted choke to replace the handlebar mounted one, with the long cable and fragile easily broken fitting at the carb. You can even get a Corbin seat if you want to spend the money. I chose a Beadrider cover instead. Happy Trails makes all kinds of panniers and mounts for them. And they have a 400 pound load capacity. Don't know what the Honda's is. The XT was sold in the U.S. mostly unchanged from 1992-2007, it is a well proven design, parts and tuning information are readily available. They make excellent bikes for a 2-3 day camping trip way out into the desert or forest. And mine has never broke down. I recently got myself one of those SPOT gadgets just in case, hopefully will never need to use it.

I was very disappointed when I saw the CRF250L, and immediately considered buying a 230, but they were already all gone, except for one Supermoto. With it's 17" wheels, it really was too small for me, and I wanted a more dirt oriented bike. But, I expect my XT225 to last me for many more years, I recently bought a 3,000 mile parts bike almost complete, including the engine, and may buy another, if I find one cheap on Craigslist. For the most part, parts from any year fit any other year.

Oh yeah. I don't know about the Honda, but the cam chain can be replaced on the XT without tearing the engine down. I'm on my third one in 30,000 miles. They were not replaced due to a problem, but my experience is that the cam chain is the weakest part of any engine that has one, and I believe in replacing them the same as drive chains.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:22 PM   #150
dankatz
Gnarly Adventurer

Great post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
First of all, while I have over 30,000 miles on XT225s, and know them inside and out, I have only sat on the CRF230L, and can only judge it by what I have read here. I don't see anything wrong with it, it is a little lower (both in seat height and ground clearance) than than the XT225. I am 6' 220, and the XT fits me a little better. I also see some complaints on the CRF's highway performance. Neither are good long distance highway bikes, they were not designed to be. But I have put 500 miles on the XT225 in one day on the freeway, averaging 60 mph. I have had it up to 74 mph GPS. On flat ground with no wind. Stock, either bike may have advantages over the other depending on the rider.

It's modifications where the XT shines. Clarke makes a 4 gallon plastic tank for it, which I have found greatly increases it's range. Mine has a kickstarter, pirated from a TTR-225. Both bikes have the same engine. There is a guy on here named Cigar Mike who makes, or used to make a centerstand for it. It has saved me more than once. I like to ride deep into the AZ desert, often alone, and have had a few flat tires. There is nothing in the desert to prop a bike up on, and the centerstand makes it easy to get the wheels off. There is another guy on here named Bryan Swenson who used to make excellent racks for the XT, laser cut steel, and only $69. You could bolt or weld anything to them, and they were solid as a rock. I have 2 of them. ProCycle also makes a carb mounted choke to replace the handlebar mounted one, with the long cable and fragile easily broken fitting at the carb. You can even get a Corbin seat if you want to spend the money. I chose a Beadrider cover instead. Happy Trails makes all kinds of panniers and mounts for them. And they have a 400 pound load capacity. Don't know what the Honda's is. The XT was sold in the U.S. mostly unchanged from 1992-2007, it is a well proven design, parts and tuning information are readily available. They make excellent bikes for a 2-3 day camping trip way out into the desert or forest. And mine has never broke down. I recently got myself one of those SPOT gadgets just in case, hopefully will never need to use it.

I was very disappointed when I saw the CRF250L, and immediately considered buying a 230, but they were already all gone, except for one Supermoto. With it's 17" wheels, it really was too small for me, and I wanted a more dirt oriented bike. But, I expect my XT225 to last me for many more years, I recently bought a 3,000 mile parts bike almost complete, including the engine, and may buy another, if I find one cheap on Craigslist. For the most part, parts from any year fit any other year.

Oh yeah. I don't know about the Honda, but the cam chain can be replaced on the XT without tearing the engine down. I'm on my third one in 30,000 miles. They were not replaced due to a problem, but my experience is that the cam chain is the weakest part of any engine that has one, and I believe in replacing them the same as drive chains.
Thanks for the extensive reply! I see lot of strong points. I ultimately paid a few hundred dollars and bought a used 2009 CRF230L, mostly for my wife. I was afraid of some bikes having starting issues and preferred the rear disc to drum brakes, but honestly would have been fine with an XT225. I think the CRF230L was designed with the 225 in mind looking at the specs sheet :-)