Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2011, 02:57 PM   #76
tilliejacques
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
I've had both the 230F and 230L and prefer the L due to its lower center of gravity. Well, and genuine street legality rather than a Baja kit and a peeled-off off-road-only sticker. I'm 5'7" 32" inseam and while I could flat foot either one, the LCG on the L lets me move it around aLOT easier. Yeah, I do miss the clearance of the F but not as often as I enjoy the easier handling of the L.

Very fun on forest roads, trails, and (not too adventurous for me, thank you) single track.

A fun ride a couple years ago on a local, one might say the real deal, road.

I use my GS as a road bike, since alot of our roads around here are dirt and gravel, and like it much more at the higher speeds than the 230 but that's due to the taller wind screen on the GS. When we go on our cross country trips this spring/summer (by toy hauler, sorry, not by bike!), I'm taking the 230 as it's the most versatile for me.

Haven't really done much in the way of mods other than a bending shifter and handguards. Oh, and after trying to get at the battery for trickle charging this winter, DH added pigtails before reassembling everything .

cheers!
08 Beta Rev3 125
tilliejacques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 09:28 PM   #77
ObiJohn
Screaming Banshee

Oddometer: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBeck View Post
For me it isn't about the speed, but about being able to get out of situations on the road on the way to the places you mention. I also live in the foothills of the Cascade mountain range, which means going up and over a mountain pass.
BBeck, you live in my neck of the woods (I live in Bellevue just north of 520). My 230L is great for riding over to I-90 and heading east to the forest roads east of Issaquah, and it's great for riding on those forest roads and exploring. I also plan to head over to eastern Washington this summer; I'll make a long weekend out of it, and load up the 230L in the back of my Dodge Dakota quad-cab and throw my son's XR70 in next to it so we can go riding together. The advantage of the lighter bike is that I can single-handedly load and unload it. (I have two ramps... a regular ramp and a step-ramp, and I walk up one while I push the bike up the other.) Not that the 230L couldn't make it over a Cascade pass, but if I wanted to go riding for several days I'd take a two-lane and know that I could easily do at least 50 mph at the top... and that's fast enough. On most of those roads the RVs limit the speed anyway.

I've also lusted after the BMWs, but they really are a pavement and dirt road bike, and not as well-suited for difficult terrain... not that you can't do that (see 'Long Way Round') but I don't have the luxury of a 3rd hand who can help me push the bike out of mud or over obstacles, or a support crew in multiple vehicles.

As an aside, I'd like to see a pair of riders take 250cc or under dual sports and duplicate the LWR ride. I think it'd be a much easier ride... and they could leave all of the extra junk home, the stuff that Ewan and Charley abandoned in the Far East. A tent, sleeping bag, stove, minimal tools and spares (shared between the bikes), a couple pairs of camping trousers and t-shirts, underwear, and socks... maybe a netbook, small digicam, SPOT or APRS/ham HT, and a GPS. 25 lbs worth of gear, inside plastic bags in soft luggage. When you have a bigger bike with all of the hard cases, you'll load it up... nature abhors a vacuum.
ObiJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 07:26 PM   #78
no1gtkid
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
I love my little Red

Mods I have on my bike
A dyno jet kit - Why? kept stalling out at the top of Mt Charleston and took 10-15 mins to warm up. Dogged slow going up hill I could only hit 45 MPH. After I got it installed I wait maybe a min to warm up, does not stall at altitude and I am able to do 70 MPH up the same hill.
However, with that said I also added an FMF Q4 exhaust
Kenda K761 Tires
TCI Products for protection (windscreen comes off when i plan to play in the dirt)
Zeta Hand guards
Cycleracks rack
CRFs Only Red Anodized Aluminum Sprocket cover
Cortech bag to carry extra gloves, goggles, wallet, ect.
Koplin gas cans for longer days on the trails
Ram GPS Rhino mount
Ram Mount for camera

I am not a hard core rider I use it commuting around town and light off-road.

This pic is of me in Death Valley early this year.
Attached Images

no1gtkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 07:38 PM   #79
no1gtkid
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Another pic of my CRF at Griffith peak

This is me with the bike at Griffith peak at My Charleston Las Vegas and about 30 mins from my house. Yes, I pulled the side plates off for this ride to see the difference on wind at 75 MPH on the paved road home. This peak I believe is the third highest in Southern Nevada and 43 highest in state.

I do like the bike and have been going over in my mind Keep and add for about 1k a Big bore kit. I was also thinking of just adding two more bikes to my little stable a DRZ400 for the long road trips with dirt trails in the end and a BMWF650GS for long road trips and light dirt trails.

Clark Manufacturer is coming out with a bigger tank for the CRF.

I was also toying with the idea of changing sprockets. A 14t up front and a 51 out back with a 102 link. This will give me a a 5% drop in Torque but raise my speed 5%. Again mainly a commuter and not a hard core dirt runner.

By the way these tires work well on hard dirt trails and on pavement. Not so great in lose stuff. So speeds need to be balanced between 25-30 MPH to stay up and if slips twist the throttle just a bit.
Attached Images

no1gtkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 07:24 PM   #80
grubbie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
You would be very happy with the drz 400 or the wr250r. Of course, Im still not putting down the 230l,...I steal my wifes any time she forgets to pull the key!
Old 10-09-2011, 09:49 PM   #81
Toddwmac
ADV addict

Oddometer: 283
Was wondering if any one has wolfman soft bags on their 230L

I'm looking for a luggage rack system that will accomodate them.

Thanks
Lost but don't care!
Toddwmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 01:14 AM   #82
weoner
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
took a nice trip in the summer, bike performed really well, speedo cable came off the speedometer, and my brakes wore out, other than that man i loved it. This is around harrison lake and lilloet river in british columbia
Attached Images

weoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 01:15 AM   #83
weoner
Adventurer

and more
Attached Images

Old 10-11-2011, 01:16 AM   #84
weoner
Adventurer

yup
Attached Images

Old 10-11-2011, 01:19 AM   #85
weoner
Adventurer

uh huh
Attached Images

Old 10-11-2011, 01:20 AM   #86
weoner
Adventurer

and
Attached Images

Old 10-11-2011, 01:21 AM   #87
weoner
Adventurer

last one
Attached Images

Old 10-14-2011, 01:45 PM   #88
Almost Dirt
n00b

Oddometer: 4
CRF250L vs XT250

My daughter owns a CRF250L and I have a 2009 XT250. Both are used for mainly dirt, occational street. Both are basically stock. The CRF is quieter. If you are like seeing animals on forest service roads, its better. The biggest complaint I have on the CRF is the lack of folding rear brake and shift levers. They bend every time the bike goes over. I don't ride it that much, but whenever my daughter goes in the dirt and drops it I have to bend it out so we can get it home and then take it off and straighten it in a vice. The XT has folding levers and there is no issues when the bike goes over.
Almost Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:01 AM   #89
microdoc
microdoc

Oddometer: 20
Recently added a CRF230L to my stable.

I just bought my '08 CRF230L a few weeks ago. I've been riding for ~44 years during which I covered 300,000+ miles with ~7500 miles of extremely off-road true wilderness riding. I've done two solo rides to Alaska, once on my K1200LT, then again on my R1200GS. On the second trip I made side excursions to the Arctic Circle and into the Northwest Territories.The GS is definitely the perfect bike for that kind of long distance do-anything, go-anywhere riding, but I bought the Honda with the intention of doing more closer-to-home trail riding in West Virginia and Southern Ohio. I think the CRF230L is an ideal size & weight for even the well experienced trail rider. Any perceived lack of power is easily made up for by the Honda 6-speed transmission.
98 R1200C, 88 R100GS, 78 R80/7, 08 CRF230L
BMW MOA #89329
microdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:24 AM   #90
BuRPsa
Finally growing up..

Oddometer: 548
I am looking for a BBR suspension-raising link as well as a BBR triple-clamp (which also raises the suspension/forks) - both of which BBR has stopped making.

If you know of one (each maybe?) then pls PM me, I want these items.
BuRPsa is offline   Reply With Quote