User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2015, 10:48 AM   #1
Hesaid OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,304
Wanting to get back to aquariums

Pretty much what the title says. It's been years, maybe 15 or so, since I last had an aquarium, and I'm thinking I'd like to start up again. Nothing fancy, but to be honest, what's out there now, both in technological advances, and what my adult budget can afford, is quite a bit different than what I used to mess with. I'm thinking of something in the 40-60 gallon size range, and prefer shallower, with more "acreage" to landscape. My first thoughts are tropical freshwater stream. I also prefer uncrowded aquariums, often with fewer fish than most would have in a similar size tank. Ideally, I'd like some rocks, some driftwood type submerged logs, and lots of live plants.

As for fish, I've always liked to have a Red Tailed Black Shark, and have been interested in Clown Loaches, though I hear they want to be in a school, and I'm not sure I'd have the space for that. I never felt like I had good luck with Tiger Barbs, they were always aggressive.

One thing I'm interested in learning more about is substrate. I'd like to go a more natural route than the brightly colored aquarium rock I used to have so much of. I'd also like to try different substrate in different parts of the tank. I'm aiming for natural, and it seems that a good portion of nature uses dirt, though it's not as common in aquariums. Any thoughts here?

So, what have you to say inmates? Any aqua-gurus out there?

MV
Old 03-01-2015, 01:07 PM   #2
squidhunter
suck-squeeze-bang-blow

Oddometer: 326
Im no guru, but I am also just getting back into keeping tropical tanks after being out of the hobby for 10 years. Advancements in technology have been incredible. I'm in the process of setting up a 55gal "planted" tank.

These sites have been very helpful in getting me back up to speed:
http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/index.html (Read the articles)
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/

This is the filter Im going with. Stupid simple and very effective. Read up on mattenfilters for more info.
http://www.swisstropicals.com/filtra...erfilter-shop/
Old 03-01-2015, 02:05 PM   #3
Hesaid OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,304
Thanks for the links. That's the point I'm at right now, reading and gathering info. Especially about plants, as that was never a strong point for me in the past.

MV
Old 03-01-2015, 02:14 PM   #4
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,495
read me

I had great luck with a Leiden Garden when I was trying a planted aquarium

M
Old 03-02-2015, 02:12 PM   #5
Watercat
. . . gravity sucks

Oddometer: 1,582
Eek Just make sure . . . . . . .

Just make sure the feeesh you put in are not going to devour every plant in there . . . . . . . . . . . . DAMHIK . . . . . .

btw - The clown loaches I've kept were very reclusive during daylight hours, so we hardly ever saw them - they hid in caves; Always wondered if they were still alive ! ! ! Cool looking feeesh though.

" . . . discovery channel has been shit for over a decade . . . this (ADVrider) is actually good." - OldAndBusted

Expect the unexpected! - Skunked & DfunkD

2006 Husky TE 610
2005 Big Strom
2010 THRUXTON

Watercat screwed with this post 03-02-2015 at 02:19 PM
Watercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 07:26 PM   #6
Watercat
. . . gravity sucks

Oddometer: 1,582
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ Ooooops . . . . . !

It's been a while- The above reference is concerning Kuhli Loaches.

The clown loaches I've raised were awesome and grew from 1/2 inch babies to 3 1/2 inch adults; they were great ! ! ! They are not nocturnal.

" . . . discovery channel has been shit for over a decade . . . this (ADVrider) is actually good." - OldAndBusted

Expect the unexpected! - Skunked & DfunkD

2006 Husky TE 610
2005 Big Strom
2010 THRUXTON
Watercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 08:24 PM   #7
soyanarchisto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,546
Too bad you aren't closer. We are selling our aquarium in my office.
soyanarchisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 10:31 AM   #8
Joe Shimano
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 362
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/fish-s...f&subref&cmpid

Maybe this link will work. I've used Dr Foster for years for most of my tank supplies.
Old 03-03-2015, 11:13 AM   #9
Earth Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,939
I set up a planted tank using miracle grow potting mix capped with sand. I didn't have enough potting mix so I just ended up mixing in some dirt from my yard. The sand was sandbox sand from a quarry. The plants went nuts. I didn't use CO2 or anything fancy. Google the Walstad method. Plan on a few weeks for the tank to clear. I sold the tank a while back though.

Earth Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 11:34 AM   #10
Joe Shimano
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earth Rider View Post
I set up a planted tank using miracle grow potting mix capped with sand. I didn't have enough potting mix so I just ended up mixing in some dirt from my yard. The sand was sandbox sand from a quarry. The plants went nuts. I didn't use CO2 or anything fancy. Google the Walstad method. Plan on a few weeks for the tank to clear. I sold the tank a while back though.

Nice setup. I tried this years ago without much success. Never had enough lighting
Old 03-03-2015, 11:51 AM   #11
Earth Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Shimano View Post
Nice setup. I tried this years ago without much success. Never had enough lighting
Thanks. The lights in those pics are dual 6,500k T5 HO flourescents from a hydroponic shop. That was way too much light at first - I could only use one or I would get tons of algae growth. But once I got enough plants in there to outcompete the algae for nutrients, and they actually started growing, I started turning on the second bulb for a few hours each day and gradually increasing the cycle. I only got rid of the tank because I was hurting for space in my house. It was going really well right up until the tear down.
Old 03-03-2015, 03:38 PM   #12
adoptamutt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
50 G. Tru-Vu Plexi and oak stand

If you're willing to come to San Jose, I have a 50 gallon (36" wide), Tru-Vu plexiglass aquarium with a black back for sale.

Comes with a tall oak cabinet and oak canopy. Heater, Eheim Cannister filter (this was $140) with quick disconnects. I have coral as a substrate but you might not want it if you're not going to a marine tank or African cichlids. All for $150 for an inmate here (I was asking $225 on Craigslist but got a lot of low ballers offering me ridiculous amounts).
Old 03-05-2015, 09:50 AM   #13
TheHeretic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
[QUOTE=Earth Rider;26276336]I set up a planted tank using miracle grow potting mix capped with sand. I didn't have enough potting mix so I just ended up mixing in some dirt from my yard. The sand was sandbox sand from a quarry. The plants went nuts. I didn't use CO2 or anything fancy. Google the Walstad method. Plan on a few weeks for the tank to clear. I sold the tank a while back though.

I really want to try a walstad planted tank some day. Years ago I had a 30 gallon planted tank with 2 strip lights. The plants grew well and the fish thrived. It was one of my favorite aquariums. Another life and wife later, I have a 60 gallon African Cichlid tank which is doing pretty good. Just not as peaceful as a planted tank with mixed tropical. I may try a 29 Gallon Walstad as I have just the right space for it. A lot of people seem to be using LED lighting now with good results.
TheHeretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 09:58 AM   #14
wannaklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,485
Don't go on vacation for a week and ask your Mom to feed the fish. She had access to HTH and an aversion to algae.

Killed my breeding pair of Ram Cichlids. 35 years and I can almost laugh about it now.

From Scottie Boy "If you calculated the money spent versus time actually used, vaginas cost more per hour than the space shuttle."
wannaklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 01:38 PM   #15
Earth Rider
Beastly Adventurer

[QUOTE=TheHeretic;26291281]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earth Rider View Post

I really want to try a walstad planted tank some day. Years ago I had a 30 gallon planted tank with 2 strip lights. The plants grew well and the fish thrived. It was one of my favorite aquariums. Another life and wife later, I have a 60 gallon African Cichlid tank which is doing pretty good. Just not as peaceful as a planted tank with mixed tropical. I may try a 29 Gallon Walstad as I have just the right space for it. A lot of people seem to be using LED lighting now with good results.
I have had a few reef tanks and that simple planted tank was probably my favorite. At this point I've pretty much moved onto terrariums. I like planning and setting up aquariums a lot more than I like maintaining them.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: