ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 21 votes, 4.81 average. Display Modes
Old 12-31-2010, 07:17 PM   #196
Icewalker
Conundrum
 
Icewalker's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: New Hampshires Militant Hippy
Oddometer: 40,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog View Post
That might be tough without a thermistor or some sort of fine adjustment. I looked into DIY-ing one of these, and found that it was cost-prohibitive. Let us know how this works.

I bottled my pale ale earlier this week. Looking forward to it.

As for all-grain, the brewmaster that showed me my first batch used 15 gal beer kegs with the tops cut out. I just purchased a pair.
Will do .... I was planning to use one heat stick as a stir stick ... not sure if this will work.

How much for the Kegs?
__________________
Icewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 02:05 PM   #197
Icewalker
Conundrum
 
Icewalker's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: New Hampshires Militant Hippy
Oddometer: 40,518
So the apfelwein I brewed is starting to take on a life of it's own. 24 hours later and we are talking vigorous fermentation and a smell that would make a billy goat puke.
__________________
Icewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 02:08 PM   #198
Schmeds
scarce
 
Schmeds's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: the Deep East
Oddometer: 6,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icewalker View Post
So the apfelwein I brewed is starting to take on a life of it's own. 24 hours later and we are talking vigorous fermentation and a smell that would make a billy goat puke.
ha! I tried one about 15 years ago. Wasn't pretty.
__________________
Hornswoop me bungo pony.
Schmeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 02:17 PM   #199
Icewalker
Conundrum
 
Icewalker's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: New Hampshires Militant Hippy
Oddometer: 40,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmeds View Post
ha! I tried one about 15 years ago. Wasn't pretty.


My wife was horrified at the smell .... made me take it out of the bedroom and put it in our spare room
__________________
Icewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 02:23 PM   #200
Schmeds
scarce
 
Schmeds's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: the Deep East
Oddometer: 6,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icewalker View Post


My wife was horrified at the smell .... made me take it out of the bedroom and put it in our spare room
I use the guest bedroom, too. If I keep the door closed, it gets to a nice temperature for when I'm too lazy to bottle lagering.
__________________
Hornswoop me bungo pony.
Schmeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 02:30 PM   #201
Icewalker
Conundrum
 
Icewalker's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: New Hampshires Militant Hippy
Oddometer: 40,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmeds View Post
I use the guest bedroom, too. If I keep the door closed, it gets to a nice temperature for when I'm too lazy to bottle lagering.


Yep



For the most part I'm almost solely kegging now ... although I'll be returning to bottling for the next few Belgians and of course the mead and hopefully the apfelwein
__________________
Icewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 05:04 PM   #202
Achtung
Wicked Pisssah Adventurer
 
Achtung's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Location: Waltham MA! aka Red Sox Nation
Oddometer: 907
I just got the ingredients to do an IPA and the brew store dude suggested adding 1 oz cascade hops to the secondary fermentation. I love a hoppy beer and the more hops the better as far as I'm concerned but I hadn't heard of doing this before is it common?
Achtung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 05:18 PM   #203
Schmeds
scarce
 
Schmeds's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: the Deep East
Oddometer: 6,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achtung View Post
I just got the ingredients to do an IPA and the brew store dude suggested adding 1 oz cascade hops to the secondary fermentation. I love a hoppy beer and the more hops the better as far as I'm concerned but I hadn't heard of doing this before is it common?
For an IPA it's not just common; it's necessary, IMO.
__________________
Hornswoop me bungo pony.
Schmeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 05:25 PM   #204
Schmeds
scarce
 
Schmeds's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: the Deep East
Oddometer: 6,539
Speaking of which... anybody grow their own hops? I've grown and used my own, but am just shooting from the hip -- I have no idea what variety they are or what their alpha content is.

I tried a little protocol to boil equivalent amounts of both my unknown and some knowns to gauge AAs, but it didn't quite work. I wonder if there's a testing service out there...
__________________
Hornswoop me bungo pony.
Schmeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 09:25 PM   #205
Kaanan
Knee deep in snow.
 
Kaanan's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: De Pere, WI
Oddometer: 588


Here's my current batch. Apple wine. Not exactly professional I know. I'll choke it down either way.
Kaanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:48 PM   #206
WI-rider
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Oddometer: 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icewalker View Post
I'm going to be doing it in conjunction with the burner. We have a ceramic hob which is hopeless at doing a full boil. Depending on how good it works I may convert a turkey fryer pot to a full electric kettle and then use the heat stick to keep the mash to temperature.

I'm still learning about all grain so if any of it makes no sense ... put it down to my newness.
If thats your goal, skip the heatstick and go right to a keg. The heatstick will burn your mash. Mounting an element on a keg is easy and cheap. Its actually easier than making a heatstick.
WI-rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:40 PM   #207
Icewalker
Conundrum
 
Icewalker's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: New Hampshires Militant Hippy
Oddometer: 40,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by WI-rider View Post
If thats your goal, skip the heatstick and go right to a keg. The heatstick will burn your mash. Mounting an element on a keg is easy and cheap. Its actually easier than making a heatstick.
I'd love to be able to buy a sankey keg for conversion. But haven't been able to find any for sale locally that I could afford. Whereas the turkey frier I already have.

The biggest challenge for me will be finding the flange/nut to screw the element into the pot - the hole I can make.
__________________
Icewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:42 PM   #208
Icewalker
Conundrum
 
Icewalker's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: New Hampshires Militant Hippy
Oddometer: 40,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaanan View Post


Here's my current batch. Apple wine. Not exactly professional I know. I'll choke it down either way.
Meant to reply to this .... mine looks almost identical. What apple cider did you use?
__________________
Icewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:06 PM   #209
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.
 
DirtyDog's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Tulsa... it's OK
Oddometer: 7,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icewalker View Post
...How much for the Kegs?
Got one free shiner shell from the father in law (the guy who is forcing me to store and ride his honda cruiser) and two budweiser(?) shells from my brother for $30. Hell of a deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icewalker View Post
So the apfelwein I brewed is starting to take on a life of it's own. 24 hours later and we are talking vigorous fermentation and a smell that would make a billy goat puke.
IMHO- if it doesn't smell delicious while cooking, fermenting, etc. something is wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achtung View Post
I just got the ingredients to do an IPA and the brew store dude suggested adding 1 oz cascade hops to the secondary fermentation. I love a hoppy beer and the more hops the better as far as I'm concerned but I hadn't heard of doing this before is it common?
Called "dry hopping". Some words for the wise- adding ANYTHING to the brew after the boil (including hydrometer or sampling equipment) is a dangerous practice concerning contamination with bacteria, etc.

Surely you are getting sterile, vacuum-sealed hops. Sanitize the package before opening it (and your hands anytime you open the fermenter). Non-sterile, unpackaged hops are ok during the boil.

I like to use a muslin bag for dry-hopping. In this case, boil the bag in some tap water for 5-10 min to sterilize it before adding it to the fermenter (sterile hops in sterile bag with sterile hands). See where I'm going with this?

For sanitizing anything I can't boil (like siphoning gear, bottle caps, fermenters, etc.) I use Iodophor. Honestly, I don't really boil anything anymore except maybe a muslin bag and the beer of course. Cheers.

Tried a pale ale tonight (only 7-day bottle conditioned). Pretty complex flavor, but too green and not enough bubbles yet. Gonna be good.
__________________
Day gives way to night on the store front mannequins. The audience with Mona Lisa grins.
Moonlight builds emotion as the players scuttle in. Pull the curtain back and let the show begin.
Lunar mischief under low light discipline. Here the tiny monsters hunt the harlequins.
DirtyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:13 PM   #210
levain OP
STILL Jim Williams
 
levain's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Providence, RI
Oddometer: 6,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog View Post


Called "dry hopping". Some words for the wise- adding ANYTHING to the brew after the boil (including hydrometer or sampling equipment) is a dangerous practice concerning contamination with bacteria, etc.

Surely you are getting sterile, vacuum-sealed hops. Sanitize the package before opening it (and your hands anytime you open the fermenter). Non-sterile, unpackaged hops are ok during the boil.

I like to use a muslin bag for dry-hopping. In this case, boil the bag in some tap water for 5-10 min to sterilize it before adding it to the fermenter (sterile hops in sterile bag with sterile hands). See where I'm going with this?

For sanitizing anything I can't boil (like siphoning gear, bottle caps, fermenters, etc.) I use Iodophor. Honestly, I don't really boil anything anymore except maybe a muslin bag and the beer of course. Cheers.

Tried a pale ale tonight (only 7-day bottle conditioned). Pretty complex flavor, but too green and not enough bubbles yet. Gonna be good.
In 18 years of homebrewing, I've never had a sanitation issue dry hopping, and I probably dry hop at least 1/2 of my beers. Remember, there are two things going for you at that stage; alcohol and hops natural antiseptic properties. I agree, things like chunks of Stainless to weigh a bag down should be sanitized, but hops? I just open the bag and dump them in.
__________________
Click Here!
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 XC
2008 Yamaha WR250R
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014