Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 21 votes, 4.81 average. Display Modes
Old 01-03-2011, 07:17 PM   #211
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 7,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
In 18 years of homebrewing, I've never had a sanitation issue dry hopping, and I probably dry hop at least 1/2 of my beers. Remember, there are two things going for you at that stage; alcohol and hops natural antiseptic properties. I agree, things like chunks of Stainless to weigh a bag down should be sanitized, but hops? I just open the bag and dump them in.
Maybe you are right. I'm certainly less experienced than you.

It's just good to take sanitizing as far as possible. Agreed?

I've been to half ass beer stores where the hops were just sitting out in the open in a serve-yourself type of manner under a table with the dust bunnies and whatnot.
DirtyDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:29 PM   #212
Achtung
Wicked Pisssah Adventurer

Oddometer: 923
The natural antiseptic quality of the hops is why the brew dude said it was ok to dry hop the secondary. I plan on brewing the IPA this week and will let you know how it goes. The stout I did has been in the bottle for 10 days and it already tastes great. I have a pale ale thats about 6 weeks old and keeps getting better. Unfortanately I've been consuming it too fast to allow much aging
Maybe we should have a home brew subfest at Cro Mag campout this year!
Achtung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:37 PM   #213
levain OP
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog View Post

It's just good to take sanitizing as far as possible. Agreed?
Absolutely. It never hurts!
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:03 PM   #214
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achtung View Post
...I have a pale ale thats about 6 weeks old and keeps getting better. Unfortanately I've been consuming it too fast to allow much aging
I have one bottle of wheat left that is probably 1.5 years old. Homebrew definitely gets better with age. It's my wife's favorite, so I had to squirrel away a box of it where she wouldn't see or reach it.

I took a 6-pack of my Short Bus Stout to SLAP last year as a rally prize, but unbeknownst to me, it was just casually given away and cast aside (not even as a prize). It broke my heart.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:20 PM   #215
Kinsman
Ribs....for her pleasure

Oddometer: 3,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icewalker View Post
I'd love to be able to buy a sankey keg for conversion. But haven't been able to find any for sale locally that I could afford. Whereas the turkey frier I already have.

The biggest challenge for me will be finding the flange/nut to screw the element into the pot - the hole I can make.
Weldless bulkhead fitting: easy peasy. Buy parts and put it together yourself, or buy one ready to go:

Search "weldless kettle" or try one of the brew forums:

MoreBeer
Northern Brewer

Kegs can be had pretty easy, but try to get one legal-like. Maybe the junkyard. Don't just rent one and not return it.

Schreckendgust Field, Montana

Kinsman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:29 PM   #216
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Here is an interesting how to on opening a sankey keg for personal use.
http://www.schoepski.com/states/illinois/keg/sankey.htm

Icewalker- If you're interested, I'll give you one of my kegs for the cost of shipping. I have no idea what that will be (or if it's legal to ship), but I can check.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:42 PM   #217
WI-rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 846
Quote:
I'd love to be able to buy a sankey keg for conversion. But haven't been able to find any for sale locally that I could afford. Whereas the turkey frier I already have.

The biggest challenge for me will be finding the flange/nut to screw the element into the pot - the hole I can make.
You can get the proper threaded nut from McMaster-Carr but you have to get somebody that welds stainless to attach it for you. The other problem is, your turkey fryer is probably too thin to weld anything to. If you are set on the turkey fryer you will need a slight different direction then a welded nut and thats a bolted on adapter. http://plumbing.hardwarestore.com/51...it-289678.aspx

No big deal though, the adapter is cheap and you can install it yourself and be brewing in the big time right now. Then, start looking for a keg and have that welded. Ask at the breweries if they have any retired kegs they will sell. You can check the scrap yards but they dont always have them, much less sell them back to people. Of course you can always have a keg party and you get to keep the keg for that extra $10 .
WI-rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:24 AM   #218
Icewalker
Conundrum

Oddometer: 40,663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achtung View Post
Sign me up .... as long as work doesn't get in the way ... as it has the last few cromags
Old 01-04-2011, 06:50 AM   #219
ShadyRascal
Master of None

Oddometer: 6,051
Quote:
In 18 years of homebrewing, I've never had a sanitation issue dry hopping, and I probably dry hop at least 1/2 of my beers. Remember, there are two things going for you at that stage; alcohol and hops natural antiseptic properties. I agree, things like chunks of Stainless to weigh a bag down should be sanitized, but hops? I just open the bag and dump them in.

That's what I did. Get the hands clean to be sure, cut open the vacuum pack of hops, dump them right in. Never had a problem.

Evolution, or, natural selection, has nothing to do with better.

It merely weeds out what is no longer suitable for the given context.

Originally Posted by Dragoon

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.
ShadyRascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:25 AM   #220
Icewalker
Conundrum

Thanks for all the input everyone .... And thanks for the offer DirtyDog. I'm going to take a trip down to the hook later today to see if they have any retired kegs.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:34 AM   #221
Chaos-in-MT
OK lets GO!

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Thanks for all the input everyone .... And thanks for the offer DirtyDog. I'm going to take a trip down to the hook later today to see if they have any retired kegs.
I have a few extra kegs kicking around down at the brewery If you are ever up this way stop on by. I have been dry hopping forever and have had no problems since the 70s. I use my homegrown hops most of the time no problems.
I also do yearly green hop brew and use them right off the vine. A yearly event to celebrate the hop harvest as I supply a few of the local brewers we make a day of it.

Chaos
Old 01-04-2011, 11:36 AM   #222
levain OP
STILL Jim Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos-in-MT View Post
as I supply a few of the local brewers we make a day of it.

Chaos
How about supplying a few local inmates
1971 Lambretta DL
Old 01-04-2011, 11:44 AM   #223
Icewalker
Conundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos-in-MT View Post
I have a few extra kegs kicking around down at the brewery If you are ever up this way stop on by. I have been dry hopping forever and have had no problems since the 70s. I use my homegrown hops most of the time no problems.
I also do yearly green hop brew and use them right off the vine. A yearly event to celebrate the hop harvest as I supply a few of the local brewers we make a day of it.

Chaos
Thanks Chaos - If I get out to Montana I'll take you up on that.

Growing hops is on my to do list this year. We already have our own grape vines so I figure growing hops cannot be any more difficult.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:32 PM   #224
sTE610vE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog View Post
I have one bottle of wheat left that is probably 1.5 years old. Homebrew definitely gets better with age. It's my wife's favorite, so I had to squirrel away a box of it where she wouldn't see or reach it.

I took a 6-pack of my Short Bus Stout to SLAP last year as a rally prize, but unbeknownst to me, it was just casually given away and cast aside (not even as a prize). It broke my heart.
Hey DirtyDog, if you bring some of your brew to Eureka Springs for the Hillbilly ride I'll gladly sample some for ya!

By the way are there any brewpub's in Tulsa these days? When I lived in Tulsa there were two, Cherry Street and Tulsa Brewing co. both long gone last time I was down that way...
Cagiva Gran Canyon
sTE610vE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 04:33 PM   #225
levain OP
STILL Jim Williams

Quote:
I was really surprised and impressed with some of the brewing going on the UK right now that I got to witness on my 3 wk bike trip around the Island last summer. The latest trend is super pale ales with tons of hop character but made in the British tradition of Low alcohol and cask conditioned. VEry impressive ales, in fact one of them, Castlerock Harvest Pale Ale, was named Champion Beer of Britain at this years Great British Beer Festival. By dumb luck, it was one of the beers I fell in love with at the festival.

With that in mind, fermentation is currently slowing down on my version of this new style of British Ale. Fermented with Wyeast 1469, this ale is 100% Weyermann Pale Ale Malt, bittered with Magnum and finished with Cascade. It'll also get dry hopped with cascade in cask.

Here's a link describing the new style evolving. I couldn't believe how much pale, pale beer is being brewed these days in the UK!
http://www.scoopergen.co.uk/essay_midatlantic.htm
This beer venting a couple days ago

Final product

1971 Lambretta DL

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: