User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 21 votes, 4.81 average. Display Modes
Old 02-13-2012, 07:29 AM   #526
Dismount
Boring bastard

Oddometer: 8,676
My old man got slightly into home brewing once. It didn't turn out well. But the process always intrigued me.

Have any of you ever gotten into distilling? Ever tried distilling the beer you brew?
Old 02-13-2012, 08:18 AM   #527
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer: 2,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by UngaWunga View Post
Going to start brewing again after a 5+ year hiatus. Any recommendations for good online beer supplies? The local shop I used to buy from is out of business.
I agree with fifthcircle on midwest, those guys ship quick and if you have any questions, give them a call. They are very friendly and like to talk about beer. Welcome back to the club by the way!

-Barron
Old 02-13-2012, 08:22 AM   #528
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dismount View Post
My old man got slightly into home brewing once. It didn't turn out well. But the process always intrigued me.

Have any of you ever gotten into distilling? Ever tried distilling the beer you brew?
Well.... it's not exactly legal but I know a guy who had a friend that distilled his by putting it in the freezer and taking ice chips out as it froze... about 1 gallon for a 5 gallon batch. He said it came out AWESOME. It was thicker, stronger and much more flavorful. The guy that did it got most of his info from homebrewtalk and beertools.... from what I hear

-Barron
Old 02-13-2012, 01:57 PM   #529
Dansrc51
I need a cape....

Oddometer: 1,351
I've used all those websites with good success. Just ordered some parts from http://www.brewershardware.com/ last week to convert a keg into a fermenter. I'm adding a 4" sanitary valve with cap on the top for cleaning access and a 90* elbow at the bottom for racking. something like what's pictured below.

Dansrc51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 05:06 PM   #530
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Oddometer: 5,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dansrc51 View Post
I've used all those websites with good success. Just ordered some parts from http://www.brewershardware.com/ last week to convert a keg into a fermenter. I'm adding a 4" sanitary valve with cap on the top for cleaning access and a 90* elbow at the bottom for racking. something like what's pictured below.

That's awesome! Where do you get used kegs from? I would really like to start collecting a few for bigger brewing in the future.

In short, adaptation is the precursor to growth and seeking out difficult, uncomfortable and challenging situations accelerates development, enriches our lives and provides us with the kind of awesome fucking memories that will sustain us until a final sleep rounds our little lives.
BLOG
fifthcircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:31 PM   #531
OaklandStrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dismount View Post
Its illegal enough that I'd rather get busted for growing pot than distilling.
However, I have a friend who knows 3 or 4 guys with stills. Oakland is a very DIY city.

Its legal in new Zealand, so there's some good info out there. Homedistiller.org
is a good place to start.
OaklandStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 05:30 AM   #532
goosecreek
a desk prop

Oddometer: 2,233
I have to agree Northern is the best online I have found I have dealt with Midwest and Austin but always go back to Northern. I try to buy atleast 25% from the local brew store just to make sure it will be there.
goosecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 05:34 AM   #533
goosecreek
a desk prop

Thanks for posting that Dansrc51 I have been thinking about keg fermenters for a while .
Old 02-14-2012, 05:41 AM   #534
Dismount
Boring bastard

Oddometer: 8,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by OaklandStrom View Post
Its illegal enough that I'd rather get busted for growing pot than distilling.
However, I have a friend who knows 3 or 4 guys with stills. Oakland is a very DIY city.

Its legal in new Zealand, so there's some good info out there. Homedistiller.org
is a good place to start.
Oh not me. I was just curious if there was such a thing going on. Looks like it would be a giant pain in the ass.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:46 AM   #535
goosecreek
a desk prop

I believe you can ice distill up to 5% of volume legally.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:17 AM   #536
Dansrc51
I need a cape....

Oddometer: 1,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthcircle View Post
That's awesome! Where do you get used kegs from? I would really like to start collecting a few for bigger brewing in the future.
Believe it or not, I searched craigslist and posted want adds in my local ADV forum. 2 from Craigs, 2 from ADV. total cost for all 4, $80. I (had Peterman) converted 2 into boil kettle and a hot liquor tank, the other 2 will be conical fermenters. total cost for my fermenter conversion $170 including original purchase price.
Dansrc51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:41 AM   #537
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Oddometer: 5,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dansrc51 View Post
Believe it or not, I searched craigslist and posted want adds in my local ADV forum. 2 from Craigs, 2 from ADV. total cost for all 4, $80. I (had Peterman) converted 2 into boil kettle and a hot liquor tank, the other 2 will be conical fermenters. total cost for my fermenter conversion $170 including original purchase price.
Awesome!

In short, adaptation is the precursor to growth and seeking out difficult, uncomfortable and challenging situations accelerates development, enriches our lives and provides us with the kind of awesome fucking memories that will sustain us until a final sleep rounds our little lives.
BLOG
fifthcircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 02:04 PM   #538
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,569
Just put my third batch ever (extract wheat bier w/ grain bag) into bottles last night. Not a real fan of wheat beers as marketed by the big boys, but maybe I'll be happier with something that isn't all fruited up for the girly/frat/sorority market. The bottles should be coming of age when the weather warms up a bit.

We'll see what happens!

Next batch will be either a Alt or Stout, the ingredients are waiting for me.

I ain't an expert or good at it, but it sure is interesting.
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:12 AM   #539
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark883 View Post
Just put my third batch ever (extract wheat bier w/ grain bag) into bottles last night. Not a real fan of wheat beers as marketed by the big boys, but maybe I'll be happier with something that isn't all fruited up for the girly/frat/sorority market. The bottles should be coming of age when the weather warms up a bit.

We'll see what happens!

Next batch will be either a Alt or Stout, the ingredients are waiting for me.

I ain't an expert or good at it, but it sure is interesting.
I have geared more than a few of my home brews towards wheat cause I love the way it smooths everything out. The sweet grain is what I dig... when you say you don't like the big boy wheat beers are you talking just American or overseas brewers too? The reason I ask is not as a slight, but hopefully to show you in my opinion some awesome wheat beers. Belgain and German wheats are what I go for, but the American brewer Ommegang make a really good one too.

-Barron
Old 02-15-2012, 06:44 AM   #540
levain OP
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barron View Post
I have geared more than a few of my home brews towards wheat cause I love the way it smooths everything out. The sweet grain is what I dig... when you say you don't like the big boy wheat beers are you talking just American or overseas brewers too? The reason I ask is not as a slight, but hopefully to show you in my opinion some awesome wheat beers. Belgain and German wheats are what I go for, but the American brewer Ommegang make a really good one too.

-Barron
Agreed A real German HefeWeizen is absolutely nothing like the American Wheat beers made famous by Widmer. Totally different complex, interesting, refreshing animal. Lambic is considered the oldest, funkiest beer style, but it is definitely an acquired taste. Folks love them (I do) or loath them (my wife).
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: