Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 21 votes, 4.81 average. Display Modes
Old 02-19-2012, 02:43 PM   #556
Jason F.
Will Ride for Beer...

Oddometer: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achtung View Post
About 55-60 degrees
Give it more time and warm it up if you can. 68 to 72 would be better.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:56 PM   #557
Mr. Ray
Chemically Enhanced

Oddometer: 3,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason F. View Post
Give it more time and warm it up if you can. 68 to 72 would be better.

yep.

The alternative is more time. It's hard but time is your friend.

When I woke up this morning my Abbey ale was cranking pretty hard. I was still unsettled about the low gravity though. My solution - I made some more invert sugar and added it to my fermenter today. This beer is going to be pretty interesting if it isn't ruined.

Only 45 days till I know.

http://www.roadtofermentation.blogspot.com
Mr. Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 04:55 PM   #558
Dansrc51
I need a cape....

Oddometer: 1,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ray View Post
yep.

The alternative is more time.
To paraphrase Tom Petty the waiting is the hardest part.

FYI, I'm developing a serious love affair with barrel aged beers. especially bourbon

Got 10 gallons of a pale bubbling away. Life is good
Dansrc51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 05:01 PM   #559
Achtung
Wicked Pisssah Adventurer

Oddometer: 919
I've actually already drank a few of them flat, its amazing what one will put up with when the alternative is no beer!

I'll put some in a warmer spot and try to be patient but I can't guarantee anything.

Thanks for the advice.
Achtung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:09 PM   #560
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Oddometer: 5,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achtung View Post
I've actually already drank a few of them flat, its amazing what one will put up with when the alternative is no beer!

I'll put some in a warmer spot and try to be patient but I can't guarantee anything.

Thanks for the advice.
I usually put a six pack in the cupboard above my fridge, and the rest in the beer closet. The ones above the fridge are fizzy in a week, the others in 2-3 weeks.

In short, adaptation is the precursor to growth and seeking out difficult, uncomfortable and challenging situations accelerates development, enriches our lives and provides us with the kind of awesome fucking memories that will sustain us until a final sleep rounds our little lives.
BLOG
fifthcircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:27 PM   #561
levain OP
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmeds View Post
I'd love to hear some adventures in priming and carbonation (ha! just had to erase "carburetion") -- for me, it's the worst step. It's a black magic, and I don't like black magic, dammit. I like taking data on my batches. I want quantification and predictability. But priming always gets the best of me. It's so hard to fine-tune. Is kegging the only way to get repeatability and control?

Also: has anyone hopped with yarrow?
You might not be letting yours beers finish before bottling/priming. I have no problems with consistent carbonation, but I never bottle. I force carb kegs, so that leaves my casks which get vented. Still, I think if you are good about letting your beer finish and are consistent with primings, you should get consistent results. Even when I used to prime kegs, I don't remember the problems you describe.
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:13 AM   #562
tootal
Backroad traveler

Oddometer: 195
Adventures in carbonation! Boy I can tell you a few of those. When my partner and I, (we race cars too), started brewing together I, being the anal one, decided we should bottle with original wort. I work for a brewery that claims all natural ingredients and have that engrained in my head. So we would put some original wort in a sanatized growler and put it in the fridge. When it came time to bottle we poured in the wort and the beer, stirred it up and started bottling. If you are going to try this then here are some tips. Let the wort warm up to room temperature before you mix the two in the bottling bucket. They must be thorougly mixed. Sanatize everything!! Use charts that tell you how much to use according to original gravity of the wort. Higher gravity means more sugar. You will use less of a high gravity wort. Don't wait too long to bottle. If you wait too long the yeast will die off and there will be nothing left to eat the wort. We use to do a week in primary and two in secondary. We found that this was hit and miss. We wanted a diacytel rest but you can obtain this in the bottle so I would recommend only one week in secondary and then bottle to make sure your yeast are still healthy. Now, with doing all of this we were still hit and miss although our average did go up.

Once we got tired of being so anal we started using the white pills. Two for 12oz. and 3 for 16oz. This actually worked great as long as the yeast were healthy. I think that this is the main point, "if your yeast are still healthy". We couldn't find the white pills anymore so we tried the amber candy type but sometimes they wouldn't fit in the bottle.

Finally we invested in some used corny kegs and force carbonated. OK, there is no way I would ever look back. There are charts on the web that show temperatures, carbonation rates and CO2 pressures. Chill your beer, (I use 40 degrees but it doesn't matter), pick your carbonation rate and set your pressure and start rocking the keg until it will take no more. You can hear it passing through the regulator. You want to run the CO2 to the OUT connection on the keg so it bubbles up from the bottom. This method has been perfect, we have a great head that cascades down the side of the glass. Time after time it works perfect.

With any method you use, except forced carbonation, the secret is healthy yeast. Using forced carbonation also allows you to bottle from a keg which is awesome. No sludge in the bottom of your bottles makes for a great looking beer.

The difference between ignorance and stupidity is that you can fix ignorance... if you're not stupid!
tootal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:11 PM   #563
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Oddometer: 5,505
I am surprised you had dead yeast with longer fermentation times. I ferment primary for two weeks, secondary for two weeks, then bottle. No problems yet. Longer time in the fermenters makes my beer nice and clear too!

I use either priming sugar, or DME. Carb to style using iBrewmaster telling me how much sugar by weight to use via ferment temp for volumes CO2. I might try the leftover wort next time though. I would think this might leave less crap on the bottom of the bottle....does it?

In short, adaptation is the precursor to growth and seeking out difficult, uncomfortable and challenging situations accelerates development, enriches our lives and provides us with the kind of awesome fucking memories that will sustain us until a final sleep rounds our little lives.
BLOG
fifthcircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:34 PM   #564
Mr. Ray
Chemically Enhanced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
You might not be letting yours beers finish before bottling/priming. I have no problems with consistent carbonation, but I never bottle. I force carb kegs, so that leaves my casks which get vented. Still, I think if you are good about letting your beer finish and are consistent with primings, you should get consistent results. Even when I used to prime kegs, I don't remember the problems you describe.

If you use table sugar, and don't wait long enough, you will always have the trouble he is describing. It's a matter of scientific fact. Table sugar is hard for yeast to metabolize. Corn sugar will not result in this situation.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:36 PM   #565
Dansrc51
I need a cape....

Oddometer: 1,351
Brewing again tomorrow! got my plastic conical sorted and should have my converted keg/conical soon! fun times
Dansrc51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:51 AM   #566
Mr. Ray
Chemically Enhanced

Top 10 most dangerous Sparging set ups.

Stool on stool with cooler perched on top.

DSC02038

3 corny kegs with scrap metal on another day.

DSC02036

Old 03-02-2012, 05:58 AM   #567
Mr. Ray
Chemically Enhanced

Making an immersion chiller.

My helper.

He babysits the fermentation to make sure it starts.DSC02027

Old 03-02-2012, 06:12 AM   #568
levain OP
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,982
You just showed why I splurged on a brew magic system 10 years ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ray View Post

Stool on stool with cooler perched on top.

DSC02038

3 corny kegs with scrap metal on another day.

DSC02036
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:19 AM   #569
Mr. Ray
Chemically Enhanced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
You just showed why I splurged on a brew magic system 10 years ago

I've wanted one for awhile. But I think I'll build a permanent installation when I finally buy a house (another one).

The current one is a chore to use but being miserable builds character.

Old 03-02-2012, 07:08 AM   #570
Beez
Given to fly

Oddometer: 5,743
That is some HOT stool on stool action!
Beez is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: