User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 21 votes, 4.81 average. Display Modes
Old 04-02-2012, 05:22 PM   #601
Nytelyte
Somewhere about

Oddometer: 662
IMHO, I would have been happier with either 6.5 gal carboys or more plastic bucket primaries, instead of the 5gal carboys that come with that kit. The starter kit is great and will get you going very well, but I'm not certain its a better value than the basic kit with another add-on fermenting bucket, or an add-on 6.5 gal carboy.

Either way it will make awesome beer!!!!
Nytelyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:24 PM   #602
Nytelyte
Somewhere about

Any information on how lacing is affected by brewing technique and what makes it stick/fall away from the people here that are MUCH more experienced than myself?

This is the lacing from my newest IPA. It was the Octane IPA kit from MidWest, with an 'octane' boost and a 1oz Simcoe dry hop.

So is this good? Bad? Indifferent? What causes the lacing to hang on the side of the glass and display, and is that a quality you want to have? How can you make that more or less prevalent, depending on which way you wish it would show?

Side note (because I'm a little bit proud) this is my IPA as its tapping out of the keg right now. Its my first kegging. Spent 3 days at 20PSI and 8 days at 10PSI, serving as of tonight at 8PSI. IMHO, its PERFECT. About 1in of head on the full pour, carbed perfectly all the way through. Not usually one for bragging, but I'm very happy with this. Its about 6.7%abv, good hop flavor and aroma, great taste, great carb.

(brewing companion in the background)
Old 04-02-2012, 05:29 PM   #603
Mr. Ray
Chemically Enhanced

Oddometer: 3,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by goosecreek View Post
Mr Ray how long did you let your coffe steep and did you grind your own beans if so how fine ?

Sorry I missed this.

We ground the beans for the coffee press and cold brewed coffee. The steep time was probably something like 2.5 hours.

We then added the coffee in the final 5 minutes of the boil.

http://www.roadtofermentation.blogspot.com
Mr. Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:32 PM   #604
Mr. Ray
Chemically Enhanced

Oddometer: 3,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nytelyte View Post
Any information on how lacing is affected by brewing technique and what makes it stick/fall away from the people here that are MUCH more experienced than myself?

This is the lacing from my newest IPA. It was the Octane IPA kit from MidWest, with an 'octane' boost and a 1oz Simcoe dry hop.

So is this good? Bad? Indifferent? What causes the lacing to hang on the side of the glass and display, and is that a quality you want to have? How can you make that more or less prevalent, depending on which way you wish it would show?

Side note (because I'm a little bit proud) this is my IPA as its tapping out of the keg right now. Its my first kegging. Spent 3 days at 20PSI and 8 days at 10PSI, serving as of tonight at 8PSI. IMHO, its PERFECT. About 1in of head on the full pour, carbed perfectly all the way through. Not usually one for bragging, but I'm very happy with this. Its about 6.7%abv, good hop flavor and aroma, great taste, great carb.

(brewing companion in the background)
Lacing is a good and desirable thing. It is formed by protein.

Nice head retention on that beer!

http://www.roadtofermentation.blogspot.com
Mr. Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:50 PM   #605
Jason F.
Will Ride for Beer...

Oddometer: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prior View Post
I'm getting ready to pull the plug on a starter kit from Northern Brewer. Thinking of the deluxe starter with the glass carboys- any thoughts on this? Enough to keep me busy for a while?

I've really enjoyed this thread, love cooking and beer; this is a natural progression!
I prefer carboys myself. Some folks are fine with buckets but I stopped using them after my second or third batch. Until I got my Conical I used glass carboys or better bottles for the last 6 ears or so.

You can make great beer in a bucket, many do it years on end. I find it easier to clean and sanitize glass carboys and do not have to worry about the stains and scratches that can be a problem in buckets. If you take care of them and replace them fairly frequently buckets are perfectly fine. Some folks have had issues with lids not sealing well and thinking fermentation is not going well. CO2 pressure escapes from the edge of the lid and not through the airlock making the brewer thinking that the fermentation has not started or is stuck.

There is a certain risk of injury from broken glass with a carboy. They can be heavy and cumbersome when full and they are very slick when they are wet from cleaning or sanitizing. More than a few people have been fairly badly injured when a carboy slipped and shattered.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:03 PM   #606
Prior
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 401
Thanks for the info. Anyone know of a 'starter' that comes with the larger carboys? Suppose trading up down the road isn't a terrible thing.
Prior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:10 PM   #607
Jason F.
Will Ride for Beer...

Oddometer: 341
Quote:
Thanks for the info. Anyone know of a 'starter' that comes with the larger carboys? Suppose trading up down the road isn't a terrible thing.
No but having a 5 gallon around for beers you do want to secondary or age is not a bad thing at all. If the kit has one 6.5 and one 5 you should be good to go. You can add an additional 6.5 gallon carboy down the road for a nominal cost.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:39 PM   #608
urbancowboy
Vicious Cycler

Oddometer: 1,743
midwest discount code

if anyone is ordering from midwest supplies, their latest print catalog (sping 2012, got it today) has the following discount codes:

$5 off order of $50 or more "spring5"

$10 off order $100 or more "spring10"

expires 5/7/12

i ordered my starter kit from them and have stayed loyal ever since. good customer service the few times i've called. website is easy to use and there are reviews for each ingredient kit.

re glass vs plastic, i was originally going to be a purist and order glass. then i heard a few stories about people breaking them. seems like everyone has a story about it. glad i went with plastic buckets and "better bottles." would have broken glass carboys a number of times by now. i guess if you have an ideal brewing location glass could be better, but i have to move my stuff around a small apartment.

re coffee stout, i added some coffee to my last oatmeal stout. i brewed it using a chemex. added the coffee just before bottling. no off flavor. worked great. i only added a little, but it was exactly the effect i wanted. if anyone is around nyc i'll share a bottle.

urbancowboy screwed with this post 04-02-2012 at 11:49 PM
urbancowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:30 AM   #609
Nytelyte
Somewhere about

Most of the brewstores sell webbed carboy 'carriers' that give them handles and make them easier to lug around, but it doesn't prevent them from banging together which will (I'm told, never experienced) shatter them very quickly (and usually when one of them is full of something).

I've found that putting them in a milk crate does really well.. It gets them off the floor (insulation) gives them handles and keeps them from banging together or against anything. Doesn't help with washing them out or upending them, that is still dangerous and touchy.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:45 AM   #610
levain OP
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nytelyte View Post
Most of the brewstores sell webbed carboy 'carriers' that give them handles and make them easier to lug around, but it doesn't prevent them from banging together which will (I'm told, never experienced) shatter them very quickly (and usually when one of them is full of something).
I stopped using carboys 14 years ago when i saw what they look like shattered. Seriously, you're taking your life in your own hands using those death traps. Google broken carboys or similar and find out what happens.

On another note, it's nice to see that this thread has taken on a life of its own, considering I haven't brewed in a long time! Hopefully, next week, but I've been telling myself that for a couple months now
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:03 AM   #611
goosecreek
a desk prop

Oddometer: 2,248
Thanks Jim you just put an end to my flip flop brewing. Leather boots for me from now on.
I use milk crates and have only broken one carboy and that was from shock.Having said that I am sure to shattter a few by the end of the month.
Oh and thanks for the thread I have gained alot of knowledge from it.
goosecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:17 AM   #612
levain OP
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by goosecreek View Post
Thanks Jim you just put an end to my flip flop brewing. Leather boots for me from now on.
I use milk crates and have only broken one carboy and that was from shock.Having said that I am sure to shattter a few by the end of the month.
Oh and thanks for the thread I have gained alot of knowledge from it.
Not sure if you're being funny, but mine shattered setting it gingerly down on a garage floor all those years ago. They get a hairline crack, and when hit just right, they explode. Into millions of pieces. Hopefully, not full!
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:27 AM   #613
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,664
Quote:
I think the Norther Brewer deluxe glass starter kit has a 6.5 and a 5 gal. Give them a call, GREAT people.
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:52 AM   #614
goosecreek
a desk prop

Oddometer: 2,248
No Jim I was not being funny and it was full of brown ale. I was lucky and did not get hurt .
After googling a few minutes ago I have a new respect for the carboy, or another reason to push my wife into letting me get a conical.
goosecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:20 PM   #615
tootal
Backroad traveler

Oddometer: 195
We brewed with carboys for years and yes we broke a couple. Finally invested in a stainless conical and love it. I still have friends brewing in buckets and doing an excellent job. Just rinse after use. Use hot water and a brewery wash and let soak. Use a soft rag or sponge to clean. Don't put anything in the bucket but water and beer! Keep them clean and scratch free and they work great.

The difference between ignorance and stupidity is that you can fix ignorance... if you're not stupid!
tootal is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: