User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.60 average. Display Modes
Old 07-07-2012, 01:00 PM   #676
Nytelyte
Somewhere about

Oddometer: 532
Well, while I was out on my wedding/honeymoon vacation, my keg of Kolsch and my keg of Blonde were just hitting the gas to carb up, my Bourbon Barrel ale was in its cool spot aging, and my Wee Heavy was sequestered to the fridge to continue its aging in a cold place (more a aging preservation spot, I know not much actual aging occurs at fridge temps), as while I was gone the house was going to be allowed to get up to 85deg and thats too hot for my poor beers..

And then the power went out because of the storm for 5 days during this heat wave. It came on during the day while we were on our way home.
Everything in the fridge is a total loss. Interior of the house got up to 92. Bourbon Barrel popped two bottles, chilling to taste one now. Kolsch is RUINED. Tastes like nasty aftertasted skunk water, gonna dump it unless someone knows a magic trick. Blonde is a little skunky, I might make it a 3rd or 4th beer and see how it goes, it might get the drain too. Wee heavy probably ruined, it was HOT in the fridge, I've not tasted it yet, its back in the closet, will get bottled probably soon.

Pretty unhappy about it at the moment. Having a good tequila margarita.
Nytelyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:00 AM   #677
Dansrc51
I need a cape....

Oddometer: 1,215
well, I wouldn't dump anything just yet. I might suggest cooling and carbonating the beer first and see what the results are. It's funny how age in a cool environment can change a beer. You probably won't salavage anything, but then again... It would'nt cost you anything but time.
Dansrc51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:03 AM   #678
Dansrc51
I need a cape....

Oddometer: 1,215
bump.

got a Saison finshing up....
Dansrc51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:08 AM   #679
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer: 2,137
Mead

Well I've got my mead in bottles, I tried some and it's not as sweet as I had thought it might be, but it's definitely strong. I can't wait to see how it ages, but it might not get a chance...

I should have taken some gravity readings, but I like to guess at how strong it is while I'm drinking it
Old 07-19-2012, 10:10 AM   #680
Apocalypse Cow
SHEEP LIE!!!!!

Oddometer: 378
Porter

I had a Porter come of age this past weekend, one I had seasoned with a medium toasted oak spiral and 3/4 Vanilla bean. Definately needs more bean but the oak added a great finish to it.
I think I will make this again and add 1 1/2 beans to the secondary and maybe a hint of Cherry extract.

Also, my SO and I were at the store the other night and wandered across the "mix your own 6 pack" area, we both looked at each other and said almost simultaniously "research".

Gwad, this is a great hobby.

"I've set the bar high because I'm tired ducking."
Apocalypse Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 06:55 PM   #681
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barron View Post
Well I've got my mead in bottles, I tried some and it's not as sweet as I had thought it might be, but it's definitely strong. I can't wait to see how it ages, but it might not get a chance...

I should have taken some gravity readings, but I like to guess at how strong it is while I'm drinking it
Careful w/ that stuff, its pretty hang over inducing.

I'm waiting on the middle one, SG has leveled off at 1.007 with the airlock bubbling about every 3rd minute today.
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:00 PM   #682
levain OP
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,684
You guys are making me crazy. I haven't brewed in so long. After the new year, my new setup will be in place. The "New Brewery" evolves
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:04 PM   #683
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nytelyte View Post
Kolsch is RUINED. Tastes like nasty aftertasted skunk water, gonna dump it unless someone knows a magic trick. Blonde is a little skunky, I might make it a 3rd or 4th beer and see how it goes, it might get the drain too. Wee heavy probably ruined, it was HOT in the fridge, I've not tasted it yet, its back in the closet, will get bottled probably soon.

Try copper piping it in the keg.

Take some copper pipe (clean/new) and clean and sanitize it. Pop your keg (if a Corny) and stand the copper pipe in there with the lid sealed for a bit. Then repressurize and let it stand cold for awhile, then I'd probably sample, and vent the CO2 again and repressurize it.

The one against the wall in the pic is being degassed, then it will be sweetened and bottled.

I've been fermenting these batches with temps in the mid to upper 90's. They're in a cool corner, but I've seen temps in the high 80's.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:08 PM   #684
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer: 2,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by P B G View Post
Careful w/ that stuff, its pretty hang over inducing.
Now you tell me

just kidding... I kind of figured on that, so I took it pretty easy on it's test run. Next time I'll heed the warning though
Old 07-20-2012, 12:27 PM   #685
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Oddometer: 5,169
Anyone in this thread going to West Fest? I will share some home brew, if you will share back

In short, adaptation is the precursor to growth and seeking out difficult, uncomfortable and challenging situations accelerates development, enriches our lives and provides us with the kind of awesome fucking memories that will sustain us until a final sleep rounds our little lives.
BLOG
fifthcircle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:34 PM   #686
tootal
Backroad traveler

Oddometer: 195
I should be kegging the Pre Prohibition Pils this weekend. We took all six row malt with 30 percent rice and cluster hops and brewed a nice five percent lager. These were the most common ingredients, along with corn, that they had to brew with back then. The six row malt was not very efficient so they had to use a lot of it to get any alcohol. This caused problems because the husk from all that malt would make the beer dark and give it an astringent taste. They finally discovered that rice and corn could be converted using the enzymes in six row malt. (Six row has more of these enzymes than two row does.) By using 30 to 40 percent adjucts the beers could easily hit their targets and they were golden in color and tasted much better. So for those that think American breweries use adjucts because they're cheaper, you now know it was a way to brew a European style beer using what they had.

Once again, necessity is the mother of invention.

The difference between ignorance and stupidity is that you can fix ignorance... if you're not stupid!
tootal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 06:48 PM   #687
Nytelyte
Somewhere about

Quote:
Try copper piping it in the keg.

Take some copper pipe (clean/new) and clean and sanitize it. Pop your keg (if a Corny) and stand the copper pipe in there with the lid sealed for a bit. Then repressurize and let it stand cold for awhile, then I'd probably sample, and vent the CO2 again and repressurize it.
If I understand you correctly, you are saying to simply put the copper in there for a while, and there is some form of reaction that helps to make it taste better / removes the bad flavor agents? What is happening with this?
Old 07-21-2012, 05:52 PM   #688
Marsh Tiger
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by tootal View Post
I should be kegging the Pre Prohibition Pils this weekend. We took all six row malt with 30 percent rice and cluster hops and brewed a nice five percent lager. These were the most common ingredients, along with corn, that they had to brew with back then. The six row malt was not very efficient so they had to use a lot of it to get any alcohol. This caused problems because the husk from all that malt would make the beer dark and give it an astringent taste. They finally discovered that rice and corn could be converted using the enzymes in six row malt. (Six row has more of these enzymes than two row does.) By using 30 to 40 percent adjucts the beers could easily hit their targets and they were golden in color and tasted much better. So for those that think American breweries use adjucts because they're cheaper, you now know it was a way to brew a European style beer using what they had.

Once again, necessity is the mother of invention.

Thanks for the history lesson! That certainly clarifies some things for me. Although, I'm not going to rush out and buy a case of bud. Just happy to understand a few things...
Marsh Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:40 PM   #689
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nytelyte View Post
If I understand you correctly, you are saying to simply put the copper in there for a while, and there is some form of reaction that helps to make it taste better / removes the bad flavor agents? What is happening with this?

I'm wagering that some of the off flavors are probably due to sulphur agents from a hot fermentation.

An old trick is simply that copper in presence of some oxygen will undergo a mild reaction. Since you have those odors, and you are debating pitching the beer in whole, I would recommend trying it.

I've heard of people stripping copper wiring as well, but I am thinking food safe product is probably the way to go.

The reaction is assuming the odor is coming from a sulphide, which reacts with copper and drops out of suspension. Usually I would then rack off, but in a Keg I'd probably just push off a beer or two before sampling to clear out the bottom (like people who use gelatine finings in the keg)
Old 07-23-2012, 07:02 AM   #690
Nytelyte
Somewhere about

Quote:
I'm wagering that some of the off flavors are probably due to sulphur agents from a hot fermentation.

An old trick is simply that copper in presence of some oxygen will undergo a mild reaction. Since you have those odors, and you are debating pitching the beer in whole, I would recommend trying it.

I've heard of people stripping copper wiring as well, but I am thinking food safe product is probably the way to go.

The reaction is assuming the odor is coming from a sulphide, which reacts with copper and drops out of suspension. Usually I would then rack off, but in a Keg I'd probably just push off a beer or two before sampling to clear out the bottom (like people who use gelatine finings in the keg)
I'll give it a try. That is new data to me, but like you said, if the option is to toss it, whats the harm? I'll let you know how it goes. If it works out I owe you one.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: