Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 23 votes, 4.83 average. Display Modes
Old 07-23-2012, 03:12 PM   #691
levain OP
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,124
Natural Gas burners

I'll be moving my rig to my new house in a few months. I converted my burners to NG from propane when moving to the basement, but I was never really happy with it. I'm going to buy some new burners and saw these.Apparently, a 10 jet burner is ample for a 12 gal. boil.

Thoughts?
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:29 PM   #692
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
I'll be moving my rig to my new house in a few months. I converted my burners to NG from propane when moving to the basement, but I was never really happy with it. I'm going to buy some new burners and saw these.Apparently, a 10 jet burner is ample for a 12 gal. boil.

Thoughts?

Just buy the damned turkey fryer.
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:33 PM   #693
levain OP
STILL Jim Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by P B G View Post
Just buy the damned turkey fryer.
How would you suggest I rig that up?
1971 Lambretta DL
Old 07-23-2012, 03:44 PM   #694
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

That makes things clearer.

Your "rig" is not what most brewers have.

I do propane simply because I can roll it over to the door and set it outside. I would have to run a rather large NG line out to do that.

First thing I would do is look at the NG line, get its diameter, and how long a run it is, that should give you an idea of how much NG you can flow.

If you exceed that in burner capacity you won't get the heat you are trying for no matter what burners you have.

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/na...or-d_1042.html

Once you can estimate the fuel availability then you can size your burners to what they will have delivered.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:04 PM   #695
Dansrc51
I need a cape....

Oddometer: 1,451
very good last couple of posts. Thanks for the info on the copper piping, never tried that. Saison turned out excellent. Belgium White going strong now.
Dansrc51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:19 AM   #696
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,897
Interesting that "all" home brewers like ales and the heavier beers.

Does anybody make any pilsners?
Old 07-28-2012, 10:26 AM   #697
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer: 2,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobby View Post

I can't speak for everyone but my view on it is "bang for the buck". My challenge is to make a great beer with a high ABV. So far so good, but some friends have requested "not so strong" cause it tastes great but they can't drink that much...
Old 07-29-2012, 01:16 PM   #698
goosecreek
a desk prop

Oddometer: 2,335
plus 1
I try to brew the more expensive beers which translates to darker or high abv beer where I am..
goosecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 05:17 PM   #699
levain OP
STILL Jim Williams

Quote:

Hmmm. Pilsner is the most difficult beer for a homebrewer to make. Well, if you're going for true to style Pilsner. There is nowhere for any defects to hide. I absolutely adore a well made pilsner. One of my favorite styles. Unfortunately, there are very few american made pilsners that are anything to shake a stick at. There is a reason why homebrewers are so successful with stout. The complete opposite.

Southampton Public House had an unfiltered pilsner out in bottles last summer and it was amazing. Light, hoppy, refreshing, full of flavor, clean and perfect. Victory Prima Pils is great as well. This is one of the few styles that American brewers just won't nail because it takes focus and determination. I'm a pale ale guy, but I'd travel far and wide for a well made pilsner. esp. czech style.
1971 Lambretta DL
Old 07-29-2012, 05:35 PM   #700
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

Remember of course that the brewing equipment is different for ales versus lagers.

Most homebrewers do Ales because ales ferment at more or less room temperature, maybe cellar temps if you live somewhere warm, or heated bathroom temps if you're somewhere cold. But you don't need to maintain a special "lagering" fridge to keep the yeast happy and get a good product.

A beer like a Pilsner or really any lager beer requires that you maintain the temperature range precisely, usually at around 50 degrees or a bit less. This is warmer than most fridges will maintain, and usually you use a secondary thermostat and you turn the fridge down to full cold, then the secondary controller cycles a relay on the power outlet.

This represents loads of additional equipment, I certainly haven't made that step, and do ales, ciders, and juice wines.
Old 07-29-2012, 06:14 PM   #701
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,897
Thanks. I'm a Pils kinda guy. Traveling to Germany as much as I did several years only cultivated that taste.

Your explanation about the difficulty in making a good pils explains a lot. Finding microbreweries who make a good one is difficult.

Thanks!
Old 07-29-2012, 06:44 PM   #702
levain OP
STILL Jim Williams

Quote:
Thanks. I'm a Pils kinda guy. Traveling to Germany as much as I did several years only cultivated that taste.

Your explanation about the difficulty in making a good pils explains a lot. Finding microbreweries who make a good one is difficult.

Thanks!
The only well made commercially available, easy to find, pilsner close to me is Prima Pils. PM me your address and I'll gladly send you a 6 pack. It's a nice beer from a brewery with a real focus on german beer in addition to other styles.
1971 Lambretta DL
Old 07-30-2012, 06:12 PM   #703
tootal
Backroad traveler

Oddometer: 195
Light lagers in general are harder to make well. We brew lagers in the winter and just set the garage temps at 52 degrees. I did a pre prohibition Budweiser that took second place following a German pils and beating a Czech pils. I have since done an Oktoberfest that is wonderful and just brewed a pre prohibition pils. We kegged it yesterday and it had no off flavors and it was malty then it goes dry with a little hop note on the end. A perfect lawn mower beer! I brewed this at a friends house that has commercial freezers with remote temp controllers. He did an Alt beer a week later. I love the pilsners and I agree, I have found very few micro brewed pilsners that are worthy. We have one here in St. Louis called Urban Chestnut and they have a Czech Pils that is spot on. I have judged this beer many times, over and over again, and I still think it's excellent. I think I'm going back Wednesday just to make sure!

The difference between ignorance and stupidity is that you can fix ignorance... if you're not stupid!
tootal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:55 PM   #704
Dansrc51
I need a cape....

Oddometer: 1,451
What's shakin fellas?

Finishing the Saison, got a Blonde conditioning, and a Pale fermenting. I built a dual stage temperature controller and pluged a freezer into it. Cost me a whopping $40. Now I can ferment at any temp I want.
Dansrc51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:44 AM   #705
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer: 2,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dansrc51 View Post
What's shakin fellas?

Finishing the Saison, got a Blonde conditioning, and a Pale fermenting. I built a dual stage temperature controller and pluged a freezer into it. Cost me a whopping $40. Now I can ferment at any temp I want.
I'm jealous. I want to make a lager but don't have the room for the equipment and the wife won't let me convert the fridge for fermentation I told her she's like it, but she just won't go for it...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: