Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 4.80 average. Display Modes
Old 06-17-2013, 12:34 AM   #991
Skibikejunkie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by discochris View Post
No sense in buying empty bottles if I can get them with beer in them and re-use!
Especially when it hardly costs any more to buy full bottles of beer than to buy empty beer bottles at the homebrew store.

'05 Husky TC 250 (Marianne)
'05 VStrom 1000
Skibikejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:38 AM   #992
Jason F.
Will Ride for Beer...

Oddometer: 341
Got the results back from a competition I recently entered. I managed two silver medals out of my three beers entered.

One medal for an Caramel Apple Cider which scored a 41.
The second medal was for a English Dark Mild that scored a 42.
My third beer was a Graham Cracker, Chocolate, Vanilla beer that was supposed to be a S'More ale and it scored a 39 but did not place.

The beer that took gold over my Mild went on to win the overall Best of Show. I love the mild I made and it will quickly become a house brew on tap pretty much all the time now. If I can find a Pin I am going to brew my next batch of it and cask condition it to serve at a festival in late summer.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:09 AM   #993
levain OP
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason F. View Post

The beer that took gold over my Mild went on to win the overall Best of Show. I love the mild I made and it will quickly become a house brew on tap pretty much all the time now. If I can find a Pin I am going to brew my next batch of it and cask condition it to serve at a festival in late summer.
Ukbrewing.com just got a shipment of new casks in. Thaf is the place to buy cask bits in the us. Let me know if you need help. Cask conditioning is an art form that takes a lifetime to perfect. Don't use your local pub as an example unless you're very lucky, which is doubtful.
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:42 AM   #994
Jason F.
Will Ride for Beer...

Oddometer: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
Ukbrewing.com just got a shipment of new casks in. Thaf is the place to buy cask bits in the us. Let me know if you need help. Cask conditioning is an art form that takes a lifetime to perfect. Don't use your local pub as an example unless you're very lucky, which is doubtful.

Yeah, I have looked at their site many times. The cost of entry is a bit high but one of these days I will do it. I passed on some nice used Firkins not long ago because I really would need Pin's. The larger capacity vessels would just be too much for our events.

I also missed a used Pin last year, the fellow who got it sent out his email about 15 minutes before I did.

I have done some natural carbonation in ball lock kegs and gravity served them, vented without any CO2 source. It has worked well but is not "true" cask ale. It is a good people draw at festivals though.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:44 PM   #995
hyperboarder
Potato Farmer

Oddometer: 1,023
Planning and purchasing done, here we go:

Quarter Life Crisis 2011 Ural National Rally
hyperboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:09 PM   #996
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Oddometer: 5,438
I like your patio.

In short, adaptation is the precursor to growth and seeking out difficult, uncomfortable and challenging situations accelerates development, enriches our lives and provides us with the kind of awesome fucking memories that will sustain us until a final sleep rounds our little lives.
BLOG
fifthcircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:28 PM   #997
discochris
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skibikejunkie View Post
Is every bottle consistently foamy if it sits, or is it an intermittent thing?
Probably about 65% of the bottles.
I do occasionally get bottles that have no carbonation at all, but I chalk that up to possibly poor bottle capping on my part, and that's fairly rare (1-2 out of a batch of 50.)
discochris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:59 AM   #998
hyperboarder
Potato Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthcircle View Post
I like your patio.
Aside from the stupid cracks it's great :).

Old 06-24-2013, 10:25 AM   #999
Apocalypse Cow
SHEEP LIE!!!!!

Oddometer: 378
Brewin

I wanted to brew this weekend and none of my buddies where aroud so I grabbed some of their equip. and made a double batch. My first ever IPA, 108 IBU's is chuggin away like a champ and another batch of my silver medal winning "HIGH 5" cream ale.
Also, put the finishing touches on the grain mill this weekend...
It was a good weekend indeed .

Any of you guys buzzin through S Wis. drop a line the fridge always has something cold in it.

"I've set the bar high because I'm tired ducking."
Apocalypse Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:11 PM   #1000
hyperboarder
Potato Farmer

In case anyone is interested, I've got a thread going on HBT about my system build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/abou...system-419733/

Old 07-15-2013, 10:40 AM   #1001
Achtung
Wicked Pisssah Adventurer

Oddometer: 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperboarder View Post
In case anyone is interested, I've got a thread going on HBT about my system build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/abou...system-419733/
Looking good!
Achtung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:13 PM   #1002
Nessman
Cluttered Minimalist

Oddometer: 1,538
Jumping in to the shallow end I'm brewing my first "kit" beer. It's a Diamond Knot IPA clone from Homebrew Heaven in Everett, WA.

Bought some stuff, borrowed some stuff and had some fun. The second day in the bucket it was bubbling so hard it was blowing the cap off the lock and bubbling it dry...small panic until I could buy/sanitize/install a blowoff tube.

Now I sit here like an expectant father timing contractions (36 seconds between bubbles now)...hope I didn't screw it up.

Old 07-19-2013, 05:12 PM   #1003
Dansrc51
I need a cape....

Oddometer: 1,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessman View Post
Jumping in to the shallow end I'm brewing my first "kit" beer. It's a Diamond Knot IPA clone from Homebrew Heaven in Everett, WA.

Bought some stuff, borrowed some stuff and had some fun. The second day in the bucket it was bubbling so hard it was blowing the cap off the lock and bubbling it dry...small panic until I could buy/sanitize/install a blowoff tube.

Now I sit here like an expectant father timing contractions (36 seconds between bubbles now)...hope I didn't screw it up.

Best way to find out is a gravity check
Old 07-19-2013, 07:54 PM   #1004
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessman View Post

Bubbles are fun to watch but they mean nothing. Keep checking the specific gravity, when its gone a week or so without change, it's probably done.
AviatorTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:28 PM   #1005
Nessman
Cluttered Minimalist

Oddometer: 1,538
1.012 if I read it correctly.

For an IPA what is the number I should look for before transferring to the secondary?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: