ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2010, 07:18 AM   #7621
Low Down
ADV Misfit

Oddometer: 815
I'll make some calls to some folks I know down south... if I get a bite I will circle back and post up. Don't hold your breath, but I'll do what I can to help out.

Low Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 07:26 AM   #7622
Scarred Adventurer

Oddometer: 998
Quote:
Originally Posted by lstzephyr
We had a cool little ride today up mt lemmon and down the control road to oracle. I hadn't been over that way before and it was very cool to do a bit of exploring. I'm not exactly sure where we turned off as I have gone up the back side before but went up the reddington way.

Brian's pimped out klr is sweet! Its pretty vader looking.

Thanks again for letting me borrow it and the beer. Good times.
You're welcome. It's nice to have someone to ride with.

We went down the backside of Mt. Lemmon to Oracle on Mt. Lemmon Rd. The road surface was smoother than Reddington has been this year, but lots of switchbacks and really pretty.

Nothing fell off either bike! My DR650 didn't enjoy the slow going in the heat tho. Every few miles or so on the slow part of the ride, we had to stop and let it cool down--it was losing power and kinda sputtering. We weren't moving fast enough to keep the air cooled motor moderately cool. I was suspecting a weak coil, but now I'm thinking that the carb was overheating, an inmate on the pre 96 DR thread says he thinks the gas was boiling in the float bowl. A challenge, I'll experiment with a fix.

A fun ride 'til we got to OV, then it was grinding the lights in traffic and 101F heat.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:39 AM   #7623
KIC
Proud Army Dad

Oddometer: 1,080
I was out putting on over 80 city miles on the slab yesterday. Actually peeled off the jacket after a while. Gotta get used to the heat. Hit construction on Tanque Verde, Sabino Canyon and Ina. Starting to like the idea of lane splitting even though its not gonna happen.
1985 Yamaha YZ 250 - Sold
KIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 07:41 AM   #7624
Scarred Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Down
I'll make some calls to some folks I know down south... if I get a bite I will circle back and post up. Don't hold your breath, but I'll do what I can to help out.

I have no passport, so I can't actually come to help you. I guess I'd talk to the folks at your hotel, they probably have someone who could go with you. Most people everywhere are pretty trustworthy, but you're right to be cautious.

Here's the address & phone number for the US Consulate in Nogales, Sonora. You might give them a call and see if they can help.

Calle San José s/n
Fraccionamiento los Alamos
C. P. 84065 Nogales, Sonora.

(52) - (631) - 311 - 8150

Here's the stuff for the Australian Consulate in NY.

150 East 42nd Street
New York, NY 10017-5612
(1) (212) 351-6500

685 screwed with this post 06-16-2010 at 08:48 AM
685 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:49 AM   #7625
Fastphil38
AZ Offroad

Oddometer: 461
KTM/AMA Duel Sport Ride Prescott AZ

Hey Kids, It's time to make your plans for the KTM/AMA DS ride in Prescott, AZ. Kevin,Allyn,Cathy,Skip ,and Phil went to the ride last year in Payson,It's a good time with all levels of rides and riders I'm going and Kevins in. The Date is 10/23&24/2010, the site is www.arizonatrailriders.org, Oh and there is a ride for those "Big Bikes", If you want to ride with some of the best offroaders in the State this is your ride. Ride On Phil
Old 06-16-2010, 09:59 AM   #7626
midengineracer
Lost, with a GPS

Oddometer: 1,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphil38
Hey Kids, It's time to make your plans for the KTM/AMA DS ride in Prescott, AZ. Kevin,Allyn,Cathy,Skip ,and Phil went to the ride last year in Payson,It's a good time with all levels of rides and riders I'm going and Kevins in. The Date is 10/23&24/2010, the site is www.arizonatrailriders.org, Oh and there is a ride for those "Big Bikes", If you want to ride with some of the best offroaders in the State this is your ride. Ride On Phil
Ah, but is the is slow, I mean small, bike friendly?
2010 H-D XR1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by 685
The best accessory for a KLR is another bike for riding offroad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-Twin
I need to start riding my bicycle more so I can justify a cool new one.
midengineracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 10:00 AM   #7627
airgord
What am I doing out here!

Oddometer: 844
Quote:
I did this last year also, best time I've ever had on a bike!

PS, Doing it this year too!!!
airgord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 10:05 AM   #7628
Fastphil38
AZ Offroad

Hey MER, It's a great event Big Bike, Small Bike, Last year I saw 250 TS and 990 KTMs on the same trail, the event offers a Expert loop that will have some tight climbs, the intermedate loop is challanging but doable, and the novice loop is Big Bike freindly. Ride On Phil
Old 06-16-2010, 10:23 AM   #7629
goodtimes
local bum

Oddometer: 925
Quote:
Hey MER, It's a great event Big Bike, Small Bike, Last year I saw 250 TS and 990 KTMs on the same trail, the event offers a Expert loop that will have some tight climbs, the intermedate loop is challanging but doable, and the novice loop is Big Bike freindly. Ride On Phil
Can you quantify 'big bike friendly'?

It seems that my idea of BBF doesn't always line up with other people's idea of BBF.

Some people think that only graded dirt roads are BBF, while others think that BBF involves blowing up to Chiva Falls on a 1200GS doing a one-handed wheelie.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:49 AM   #7630
KIC
Proud Army Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtimes

It seems that my idea of BBF doesn't always line up with other people's idea of BBF.

Some people think that only graded dirt roads are BBF, while others think that BBF involves blowing up to Chiva Falls on a 1200GS doing a one-handed wheelie.
In other words, Brian wants to know if he has to take the training wheels off his Beemer....
Old 06-16-2010, 10:49 AM   #7631
Fastphil38
AZ Offroad

Bbf

The site will post the types of rides soon, the BBF stuff is alot of graded roads,and some two track trails, check out the site for additional infomation. Last year I was hauling down a trail outside of Payson and one of those 760 Pumphins was pacing me for awhile until he had a "dirt nap" when he missed a turn, The ride has it all, it's the most fun you can have with your clothes on! Ride On Phil
Old 06-16-2010, 10:53 AM   #7632
KIC
Proud Army Dad

Quote:
The site will post the types of rides soon, the BBF stuff is alot of graded roads,and some two track trails, check out the site for additional infomation. Last year I was hauling down a trail outside of Payson and one of those 760 Pumphins was pacing me for awhile until he had a "dirt nap" when he missed a turn, The ride has it all, it's the most fun you can have with your clothes on! Ride On Phil
Heard they had clothing optional rides too. Just what I heard.....
Old 06-16-2010, 10:55 AM   #7633
Fastphil38
AZ Offroad

Can't Help With The Training Wheels , But The One Handed Wheelie Is Dooable. Ride On Phil
Old 06-16-2010, 11:03 AM   #7634
Scarred Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtimes

Washed out, rutted jeep trails are are BBF (like the bit you and I and GPS Bob rode when my KLR was shedding parts and your GS was having trouble with the starter switch.)

Graded dirt roads a basically paved roads with a lot of dust, imho. Run along at 50 mph and hope you don't need to turn quick.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:09 AM   #7635
goodtimes
local bum

Oddometer: 925
Quote:
Can't Help With The Training Wheels , But The One Handed Wheelie Is Dooable. Ride On Phil
One handed wheelies (for me, on my pig) are gonna take a hell of a lot more than some training wheels.