Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2015, 08:11 PM   #1
Assero OP
Classic Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
The Official Assero Gear News and Discussion Thread

---------------
LATEST NEWS (saves scrolling to the bottom of this thread)
---------------
April 16, 2015

Don't forget, $20 off your order total until May 4th!

Just remember to use the ADV Riders Discount Code when you order:

----
----
April 2, 2015
After more than two years of preparation we are very excited to introduce Assero Gear to the inmates on ADV Rider.

To celebrate we are launching our new Arx Keprotec motorcycling glove. It's designed for hot weather use, especially in towns and cities where stop-go traffic makes other gloves hot and clammy. The Arx is semi-lined for maximum ventilation, and it has a large SuperFabric padded palm for protection.

For this month, we are offering FREE SHIPPING on all our gloves. And for ADV Riders there is an additional special offer, $20 off each order total over Easter. The offer is valid for one order per customer and closes on May 4th. The ADVRider Easter Offer code is EASTER15DAY20. Just remember to enter the code when you order.

You can find more information on our website, and I am happy to answer any questions you might have either in this thread or via PM or email.

Safe riding,

James Patrick
Founder, Assero Gear

Assero screwed with this post 04-16-2015 at 06:41 AM
Assero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 08:44 PM   #2
Assero OP
Classic Adventurer

Background

Assero Gear was born in Thailand. It is based on our experience of motorcycling in South-East Asia. We wanted gear suitable for hot and humid conditions that was also rugged and versatile. Pants that would flow air, hold armor and survive a crash, and gloves that didn't fall apart in the rainy season.

In this part of the world as elsewhere, the market for motorcycle clothing is dominated by cheap polyester designs made in China. Piracy abounds. It is often impossible to tell to what standard a garment has been made.

With Assero Gear we make everything ourselves. We do not sub-contract to outside factories. Why? That way we can be sure our garments are made correctly. Anyone who has dealt with manufacturing in China and other low cost centers will know that as soon as they step outside the factory, garment construction becomes a matter of how far the factory can reduce its costs until you notice.

We use time-consuming and complicated construction techniques to make highly durable garments. We source the best fabrics. We know that nothing substitutes for time spent testing and prototyping to check every detail. We use Coates bonded Nylon thread for all of our products. We check every step. By doing things this way, the old-fashioned way, we can be sure that everything is done right.

We want to create super-reliable, super-functional gear that lasts a long time. All Assero Gear is covered by our product lifetime warranty.
Old 04-03-2015, 01:57 PM   #3
Grizzler
Gas Passer For Hire

Oddometer: 93
Would love some hot weather riding pants for city use (like yours), but need a size bigger than your limited range. Future plans for more sizes?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Grizzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 09:10 PM   #4
TBR
One Life ~ Live It

Oddometer: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Assero View Post
Anyone who has dealt with manufacturing in China and other low cost centers will know that as soon as they step outside the factory, garment construction becomes a matter of how far the factory can reduce its costs until you notice.
Spot on - you hit the nail on the head with your statement and not only in garment manufacturing...
Old 04-04-2015, 04:54 AM   #5
Assero OP
Classic Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzler View Post
Would love some hot weather riding pants for city use (like yours), but need a size bigger than your limited range. Future plans for more sizes?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
For the next production run, we expect to make a wider range of sizes. So far we've been selling the pants in Thailand. For the US market I expect we will run them to a waist size 40" in a 32" and 34" leg. PM me with your size and I'll make sure we make them.
Old 04-04-2015, 05:31 AM   #6
Assero OP
Classic Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBR View Post
Spot on - you hit the nail on the head with your statement and not only in garment manufacturing...
Quality control in China has improved immensely in the past decade but there remains a pervasive business culture which takes some getting used to. If you want something done right in China IMHO the only way to do it is to QC every step, verifying every material and construction technique. It's not something that can be done at arm's length.
After quite a few years living and working in China I decided that since Assero Gear makes safety products it would be much better to make them ourselves. This means we grow more slowly but it also means we can be certain of what we sell.
Old 04-04-2015, 06:11 AM   #7
Assero OP
Classic Adventurer

Assero HQ - Not Exactly a Sweat Shop

This is where we prototype every Assero garment and accessory. There's quite a lot in the works that will appear on the website over the next couple of months.
That's my Juki 8160 industrial sewing machine in the foreground. It's part of an important principle; don't ask someone to do something you can't or won't do yourself. And for the mechanically inclined, there's something very satisfying about using it. Almost like a good bike...
Old 04-05-2015, 07:58 AM   #8
Assero OP
Classic Adventurer

"Let's get a coffee!" Any excuse for a ride...

Happy Easter!
Old 04-07-2015, 07:34 AM   #9
Assero OP
Classic Adventurer

Assero Arx Summer Motorcycle Glove

We have uploaded some high resolution photos of our gloves to Flickr.com. Enjoy!

Old 04-10-2015, 06:08 AM   #10
KiriBKK
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Do you have any retailers in Thailand, or somewhere it's possible to view your products?
KiriBKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 07:00 AM   #11
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,385
VEry cool. Any jackets in the works? Subscribed
Old 04-10-2015, 09:07 AM   #12
Assero OP
Classic Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiriBKK View Post
Do you have any retailers in Thailand, or somewhere it's possible to view your products?
Right now we're making stock for an Assero Dealer in Chiang Mai who we will announce next month. Next up will be Dealers in Bangkok and Kuala Lumpur.

I will be in Bangkok and Chiang Mai fairly often in May so if you are in either I would be happy to show you the gear. You can reach me via PM here or james AT asserogear.com. Are you in Thailand now or on the way?
Old 04-10-2015, 09:09 AM   #13
Assero OP
Classic Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
VEry cool. Any jackets in the works? Subscribed
Thanks. We're working on various pants designs at the moment. A jacket or two will follow but not until Q3/Q4 2016.
Old 04-13-2015, 05:32 AM   #14
MotorcycleWriter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,193
Do you have a light-colored glove? One of my requirements for summer riding gear is a light color to reflect visible light from the sun. The difference in comfort for your hands with light colored gloves is amazing. Next time I'm out on a sunny day I will carry a digital thermometer and check, but I bet the difference in temperature is 20 deg F.
MotorcycleWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 06:52 AM   #15
Assero OP
Classic Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorcycleWriter View Post
Do you have a light-colored glove?
I've been keen for us to make a Keprotec glove with a white back for a while. We didn't think there would be a huge demand so we have concentrated on black. If you would like a pair, we could make some as a custom order. It might take a couple of months though as we would need to get the white Keprotec first. PM me if you are interested.

Certainly, when I went from a white to a black motorcycle helmet in Thailand there was noticeable difference. The black was much hotter. With the gloves I expect the difference to be slightly less since the inside of the Keprotec fabric is Kevlar. Kevlar has low thermal conductivity so stationary in traffic the gloves don't feel scorching like black leather.