User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2010, 08:06 PM   #451
BoochZilla OP
Metal.Moto.Mania.

Oddometer: 761
Hey Willy,

You could go a couple directions here. My favorites currently are the Defender GTX Jacket and Pants ($745 & $599) if you want to go Gore-Tex. If you want to save a couple bones and don't need the Gore-Tex or the new sleeve vent config, you could go REV'IT! Cayenne Pro Jacket and Pants. IMO a TON of value and technology at $579 and $399 for jacket and pants.

+1 on the Gerbings, but the thermal on both the REV'IT! coats and pants I mentioned is called Exkin and is extremely warm and thin. It will probably surprise you if you are used to Thermolite and its cold range.

If you are not into the Drop liner approach you could go with the REV'IT! Legacy GTX or the Firstgear TPG Rainier.

Let me know what else I could offer.

Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyowillys46
Hi Anthony,

I've been watching the RevZilla vids. Great job on the in-depth reviews. I've got a 3-4 year old Olympia AST that I use for light summer to cold weather riding. And by cold weather, I mean sub zero temps. It's starting to show it's age and I'll be in the market for new gear soon. (I'll probably be breaking down and buying a Gerbings liner this winter too.)

What would you recommend for a jacket/pant combo? The Everest is nice, but $1700 is a bit of a turnoff.

'10 Multistrada 1200
'07 R1200GS
'05 Monster S2R
BoochZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 07:22 AM   #452
BoochZilla OP
Metal.Moto.Mania.

Hi Edward,

I have not spent any time on it yet, but thanks in advance for the heads up. I will look for it.

Best,

Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meltdown
Anthony-

Thanks for the recommendation.

Another question for you when you have a moment. Had you considered doing a review (video) on the Joe Rocket Dry Tech Nano jacket? One of your competitors has a review up which was almost painful to watch (I don't think the poor fellow is comfortable in front of a camera).

Webbikeworld did a review on it and their "Big Air" system looks promising. I know that some people have panned the Rocket gear in the past...but that jacket looks like good kit and would seemingly flow tons of air for those hot Florida days.

Thanks again

Edward

'10 Multistrada 1200
'07 R1200GS
'05 Monster S2R
Old 11-15-2010, 10:53 AM   #453
nickn
Gypsy

Oddometer: 29
Winter Gear Recommendations

Hey Anthony,

I'm looking to get some Rev-It gear for the cold weather which is already very much here.

My Air jacket and Giri gloves have completely sold me on Rev-It, I won't buy anything else. Plus I'm slender and their products fit my body type very well.

I'm thinking of either the Sand Jacket or Sirocco Jacket (you still have my size in the light grey-silver) and Sand pants and the Orion gloves.

I live on the Virginia coast and I mostly ride to work and on the weekends (Moto Guzzi V7 Classic), but I plan on taking this outfit on some big trips where it will need to perform in a variety of conditions.

I figure, the Sirocco will be more versatile in the late spring/early fall or days where it's cold in the morning but hot during the day than the Sand will, but the Sand will be warmer in the cold. I don't know, it seems like such a toss-up.

Thanks,
-Nick
nickn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 10:56 AM   #454
nickn
Gypsy

Oddometer: 29
And by the way, your videos are EXCELLENT, thank you. We are trying to produce product videos for my company, which manufactures x-ray aprons, and Revzilla has been an inspiration for me. It's really great that you have the talent to do them professionally in-house.
nickn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 12:06 PM   #455
BoochZilla OP
Metal.Moto.Mania.

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the nod on the vids. I just happen to talk too much and not have a budget for outside talent, so in the end, I guess I was the guinea pig that worked out.

Regarding your jacket lineup -

Both of these jackets cross over completely except for two factors. Style is the first and that is subjective.

That leaves us with temperature - which should be the deciding factor here.

As far as Fall and Spring, both of these jackets will be right at home.

The Sirocco is designed to be a 10 for performance in the hottest hot-weather / muggy riding. The Sirocco will greatly overperform in the heat and slightly underperform in the cold because its hard to turn the "air conditioning" of mesh completely off. Say a 7.5 in the cold.

The Sand will do an 8.5 in the heat. The updated 3d mesh in the chest and the redesigned arm / cuff vents do a really rock solid job - but at the end of the day, they are not mesh. The Sand will however perform better at a colder temp rating than the Sirocco, just by virtue of not having the exposed mesh. The Sand will be more protective as well with no exposed mesh.

If I were you and were more focused on Fall-Winter-Spring cool/cold coverage - and I had an Air in my closet - I would go Sand, just to beef up to cold coverage.

That is actually how I roll these days. I have a Defender for Fall - Winter- Spring and wear an Air in the summer. I will wear a base layer under the Air for cold mornings vs going the other way.

I really think you could be happy either way, unless ultra cold is your driving factor-here - Ultra cold is the only thing the Sirocco can't do as well as the Sand, Cayenne Pro or Defender.

Sorry if that got long winded, but I hope it helps.

Anthony
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickn
Hey Anthony,

I'm looking to get some Rev-It gear for the cold weather which is already very much here.

My Air jacket and Giri gloves have completely sold me on Rev-It, I won't buy anything else. Plus I'm slender and their products fit my body type very well.

I'm thinking of either the Sand Jacket or Sirocco Jacket (you still have my size in the light grey-silver) and Sand pants and the Orion gloves.

I live on the Virginia coast and I mostly ride to work and on the weekends (Moto Guzzi V7 Classic), but I plan on taking this outfit on some big trips where it will need to perform in a variety of conditions.

I figure, the Sirocco will be more versatile in the late spring/early fall or days where it's cold in the morning but hot during the day than the Sand will, but the Sand will be warmer in the cold. I don't know, it seems like such a toss-up.

Thanks,
-Nick

'10 Multistrada 1200
'07 R1200GS
'05 Monster S2R
Old 11-15-2010, 05:19 PM   #456
Flanny
Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer: 2,738
Hey Anthony,

+1 on the vids. Super informative.

When can we expect a re-made Rev'it Infinity Suit done right in Gore-Tex?

Flanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 06:37 AM   #457
BoochZilla OP
Metal.Moto.Mania.

Hey Flanny,

At this point it's not on my radar, but I do know that REV'IT! no longer has a relationship with Schoeller with the new move to W.L. Gore.

If we see a 1-piece from REV'IT! in the future, I would imagine you would get your wish.

Fingers crossed.

Thanks for the nod on the vids. Anything we've missed that you would like to see us shoot / review?

Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanny
Hey Anthony,

+1 on the vids. Super informative.

When can we expect a re-made Rev'it Infinity Suit done right in Gore-Tex?

'10 Multistrada 1200
'07 R1200GS
'05 Monster S2R
Old 11-16-2010, 12:26 PM   #458
Tn. Walrus
Knuckle Dragger

Oddometer: 303
Yo Anthony!

I need some advice on gear. I have a Revit Dragon jacket (It even fits a short fat guy like me and I love it.), but I found a small problem. This morning I was riding to work in a cold steady rain. I had all the liners is so I was warm and dry. My gloves are gauntlet style and go over the top of the coat. In the 35 minutes that it took to make the ride, the outer shell of the jacket soaked through and water began to build up in the sleeve, between the outer shell and the waterproof liner. The end result was a river of COLD water that ran down into my gloves, right about the time I pulled into work. Had the ride been longer I would have been in deep shit with frozen fingers. (air temp was 38).

I know I can treat the shell with nickwax but what is a good recomendation for a waterproof winter glove that will ride inside the rain liner of the Dragon, or any other Revit jacket?? Frozen fingers suck.

Salus Populi Est Suprema Lex.

IBA# 49285

Tn. Walrus screwed with this post 11-16-2010 at 12:34 PM
Tn. Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 12:55 PM   #459
BoochZilla OP
Metal.Moto.Mania.

Hey Walrus,

I loved your recounting of the ride. You are a good story teller. What are you riding?

You need an under-cuff style waterproof glove which can sit inside your Hydratex Liner or a overglove that has an internal gaiter / cuff to create a seal.

This is a Tall order. I have 3 gloves that will fit the bill. For some reason, manufacturers don't cover this base as well as they should.

The REV'IT! Zenith H20 Glove is going to be narrow enough to get under the liner, but unless you have heated grips it will not be warm enough for 38 degrees.

The Held Warm and Dry is another option to try to get inside the cuff, but it is a bit heavier and will be a tight fit.

The last option is the super-hardcore Dainese Jerico which has an internal Gore-Tex gaiter / cuff on the inside of the outer cuff essentially allowing you to split them to provide the extra coverage you are looking for.

Let me know what else I can offer.

Best,

Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tn. Walrus
Yo Anthony!

I need some advice on gear. I have a Revit Dragon jacket (It even fits a short fat guy like me and I love it.), but I found a small problem. This morning I was riding to work in a cold steady rain. I had all the liners is so I was warm and dry. My gloves are gauntlet style and go over the top of the coat. In the 35 minutes that it took to make the ride, the outer shell of the jacket soaked through and water began to build up in the sleeve, between the outer shell and the waterproof liner. The end result was a river of COLD water that ran down into my gloves, right about the time I pulled into work. Had the ride been longer I would have been in deep shit with frozen fingers. (air temp was 38).

I know I can treat the shell with nickwax but what is a good recomendation for a waterproof winter glove that will ride inside the rain liner of the Dragon, or any other Revit jacket?? Frozen fingers suck.

'10 Multistrada 1200
'07 R1200GS
'05 Monster S2R
Old 11-16-2010, 01:03 PM   #460
Tn. Walrus
Knuckle Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoochZilla
Hey Walrus,

I loved your recounting of the ride. You are a good story teller. What are you riding?

You need an under-cuff style waterproof glove which can sit inside your Hydratex Liner or a overglove that has an internal gaiter / cuff to create a seal.

This is a Tall order. I have 3 gloves that will fit the bill. For some reason, manufacturers don't cover this base as well as they should.

The REV'IT! Zenith H20 Glove is going to be narrow enough to get under the liner, but unless you have heated grips it will not be warm enough for 38 degrees.

The Held Warm and Dry is another option to try to get inside the cuff, but it is a bit heavier and will be a tight fit.

The last option is the super-hardcore Dainese Jerico which has an internal Gore-Tex gaiter / cuff on the inside of the outer cuff essentially allowing you to split them to provide the extra coverage you are looking for.

Let me know what else I can offer.

Best,

Anthony
Thanks Anthony. I am riding a R1200 GS Adventure. I picked it up on Sept 23 and I have 6700 miles on it all ready. I've got heated grips so any of the gloves will work. Thanks for the info. Take care.

Larry

IBA# 49285
Old 11-16-2010, 01:42 PM   #461
Tn. Walrus
Knuckle Dragger

Hey Anthony, one more thing. Next time you talk to Rev'it about their gear, see if you can push for sand jacket in high viz like the Dragon. It would be nice to step up in quality and still have a tasteful high viz option. I know commuting to work isn't exactly Moab, but it can still be an adventure, riding in the city with all these clowns.

IBA# 49285
Old 11-16-2010, 02:01 PM   #462
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,884
Anthony,
I see that d30 has lots of different back protectors now.
http://www.d3o.com/category/markets/motorcycle/

One in particular is rated to Level 2 the Viper Pro
http://www.d3o.com/d3o_products/vipe...ack-protector/

Which one is the one you carry, and is it the same as the back protector from the Klim jacket? It is pretty substantial compared to the rest of the sub-par armor in that jacket.
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/k...back-protector

Can you get the Viper Pro?
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 05:53 AM   #463
BoochZilla OP
Metal.Moto.Mania.

Hi Walrus,

REV'IT! has a jacket coming out for the Spring which will be Full (tasteful) Hi-Viz and be geared for Fall-Winter-Spring Commuting with a non removable windproof / waterproof liner.

More details as they come.

Best,

Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tn. Walrus
Hey Anthony, one more thing. Next time you talk to Rev'it about their gear, see if you can push for sand jacket in high viz like the Dragon. It would be nice to step up in quality and still have a tasteful high viz option. I know commuting to work isn't exactly Moab, but it can still be an adventure, riding in the city with all these clowns.

'10 Multistrada 1200
'07 R1200GS
'05 Monster S2R
Old 11-18-2010, 05:55 AM   #464
BoochZilla OP
Metal.Moto.Mania.

d30 is an interesting animal right now as we don't have a direct relationship with them.

The d30 packs we are selling are sourced by Klim for replacements for the Adventure Rally and Traverse. The ones on our site are T5.

As for the Viper, I am not sure the availability, but I will look into it. I agree with you though, the Armor has come a long way.

Best,

Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams
Anthony,
I see that d30 has lots of different back protectors now.
http://www.d3o.com/category/markets/motorcycle/

One in particular is rated to Level 2 the Viper Pro
http://www.d3o.com/d3o_products/vipe...ack-protector/

Which one is the one you carry, and is it the same as the back protector from the Klim jacket? It is pretty substantial compared to the rest of the sub-par armor in that jacket.
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/k...back-protector

Can you get the Viper Pro?

'10 Multistrada 1200
'07 R1200GS
'05 Monster S2R
Old 11-19-2010, 08:21 AM   #465
ovenking
Unfloppable

Oddometer: 38
Hey Booch, I really HATE it when Rev'It decides to put stuff on sale! Especially right before Christmas!!!

Anyway, I had a question about the summer gloves (yes, already thinking of next year). I'm currently using the Comet gloves, which I really really like. A few niggling complaints here and there, but overall I love the way they fit, look, vent, and feel on the levers.

I am thinking of picking up a second set of summer gloves. The Dirt looks like a nice alternative. I've read through the item description, but in your opinion how does it stack up against the Comet?

It also looks like it has a longer cuff. Will it still fit under my jacket (I have the Sand) comfortably?
ovenking is offline   Reply With Quote