ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-23-2014, 03:59 PM   #1201
HowlingMad
drags knuckles
 
HowlingMad's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: Cranberry Country, MA
Oddometer: 1,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by cba191 View Post
Nice!!! That decides it. A shop near me has either a large or XL. It's hiviz, so I don't want that one, but I can try it on at least. I won't take any of their time, but I'll be able to see the fit. If they have the grey in the right size, I'll buy from them to support the local, but otherwise, you will have my order tomorrow.
Way to support the guy who just took all the time to answer your questions, take pictures of different models and recommend a lesser priced model.




But he's not local, so it's ok.
__________________

HowlingMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 05:20 PM   #1202
cba191
wanna buy a monkey?
 
cba191's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: SLC, UT
Oddometer: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowlingMad View Post
Way to support the guy who just took all the time to answer your questions, take pictures of different models and recommend a lesser priced model.




But he's not local, so it's ok.
I've actually bought quite a few things from Revzilla. Great people to work with. But if we never shop local, local will go away. I try to do some of both. How often do you see little bookstores anymore? Amazon and B&N killed them. It's already getting difficult to find any bike shops that actually have much in the way of gear. I don't have any wealth to spread, but I try.
__________________
'02 Tiger
cba191 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 06:09 PM   #1203
ZLAHiVizBrian
So Viz-able!
 
ZLAHiVizBrian's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Location: Navy Yard, Philadelphia
Oddometer: 128
No worries on our end, just glad to help. We encourage supporting the local guys and are happy to fill in the gaps when we can.
__________________
Hi-Viz Brian | '13 KLR 650 | '06 ZX6R

RevZilla Gear Discussion / Q&A | RevZilla Career Opportunities

Helping riders with gear and little old ladies cross the street | RevZilla.com
ZLAHiVizBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 06:30 PM   #1204
cba191
wanna buy a monkey?
 
cba191's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: SLC, UT
Oddometer: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLAHiVizBrian View Post
No worries on our end, just glad to help. We encourage supporting the local guys and are happy to fill in the gaps when we can.
Maybe lunch will be on me since I didn't buy from you. Unless I buy the pants too. Does Klim use the same shades of grey for the overlands? Or do I want black. (I don't like looking like a stormtrooper, but black gets way hot.)
__________________
'02 Tiger
cba191 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 06:56 PM   #1205
avc8130
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Northern NJ
Oddometer: 1,077
HiVizBrian,

How about doing a comparison video of the new AltRider luggage vs the Giant Loop luggage? I know you sell both and I've watched the videos about each, but I'm having trouble deciding which is best.

I'm referring to the Fandango vs the Hemisphere Tank Bag and the Coyote vs the Hemisphere Saddlebag setup.

Keep up the awesome work!

ac
avc8130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 11:17 AM   #1206
ZLAHiVizBrian
So Viz-able!
 
ZLAHiVizBrian's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Location: Navy Yard, Philadelphia
Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by cba191 View Post
Maybe lunch will be on me since I didn't buy from you. Unless I buy the pants too. Does Klim use the same shades of grey for the overlands? Or do I want black. (I don't like looking like a stormtrooper, but black gets way hot.)
Klim does not use the same shades of Grey in the Overland pants (they're darker). It's funny you mentioned stormtroopers as I just started watching the Star Wars movies last night. I've never seen them before. I was always more of a Commando kinda guy .

Back on topic....

Here is a picture of the Misano jacket's chest pocket. As you can see they are mesh-backed, allowing them to ventilate. You probably know this already since you now own a Misano, but I assume nothing.



-HVB
__________________
Hi-Viz Brian | '13 KLR 650 | '06 ZX6R

RevZilla Gear Discussion / Q&A | RevZilla Career Opportunities

Helping riders with gear and little old ladies cross the street | RevZilla.com
ZLAHiVizBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 11:25 AM   #1207
cba191
wanna buy a monkey?
 
cba191's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: SLC, UT
Oddometer: 655
Actually, I don't have it yet. I bought Hikertrash's jacket.
__________________
'02 Tiger
cba191 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 12:15 PM   #1208
ZLAHiVizBrian
So Viz-able!
 
ZLAHiVizBrian's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Location: Navy Yard, Philadelphia
Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by avc8130 View Post
HiVizBrian,

How about doing a comparison video of the new AltRider luggage vs the Giant Loop luggage? I know you sell both and I've watched the videos about each, but I'm having trouble deciding which is best.

I'm referring to the Fandango vs the Hemisphere Tank Bag and the Coyote vs the Hemisphere Saddlebag setup.

Keep up the awesome work!

ac
I passed that along to our video team. Thanks! In the meantime, I'm happy to install each bag on our F800GS, take some pictures, and give you my opinion if you think that will help.

-HVB
__________________
Hi-Viz Brian | '13 KLR 650 | '06 ZX6R

RevZilla Gear Discussion / Q&A | RevZilla Career Opportunities

Helping riders with gear and little old ladies cross the street | RevZilla.com
ZLAHiVizBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 01:49 PM   #1209
avc8130
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Northern NJ
Oddometer: 1,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLAHiVizBrian View Post
I passed that along to our video team. Thanks! In the meantime, I'm happy to install each bag on our F800GS, take some pictures, and give you my opinion if you think that will help.

-HVB
I do think that would help, probably a lot more people than just me!

The 2 products are clearly targeted directly at the same audience and attempt to solve the same scenario in different enough ways to make a comparison.

I'm mostly trying to wrap my head around the benefits of each from a packing, and then living with for a week camping, scenario.

Is the 1 big dry bag that pops out of the holster rapid the answer?

Or are 3 stuff sacks, each could be categorized, the answer?

It looks like the Altrider could be ridden in "holster" configuration. How feasible is it to ride with the Coyote empty?

How does each compare with a week's worth of stuff loaded up compared to a day's?

See what I'm getting at?

At ~$350, I just want to have all of the info before dropping the cash.

ac

ac
avc8130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 02:43 PM   #1210
ZLAHiVizBrian
So Viz-able!
 
ZLAHiVizBrian's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Location: Navy Yard, Philadelphia
Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by avc8130 View Post
I do think that would help, probably a lot more people than just me!

The 2 products are clearly targeted directly at the same audience and attempt to solve the same scenario in different enough ways to make a comparison.

I'm mostly trying to wrap my head around the benefits of each from a packing, and then living with for a week camping, scenario.

Is the 1 big dry bag that pops out of the holster rapid the answer?

Or are 3 stuff sacks, each could be categorized, the answer?

It looks like the Altrider could be ridden in "holster" configuration. How feasible is it to ride with the Coyote empty?

How does each compare with a week's worth of stuff loaded up compared to a day's?

See what I'm getting at?

At ~$350, I just want to have all of the info before dropping the cash.

ac

ac
Pick request submitted. They should be here first thing tomorrow. If you think of anything else, let me know.

-Hi-Viz Brian
__________________
Hi-Viz Brian | '13 KLR 650 | '06 ZX6R

RevZilla Gear Discussion / Q&A | RevZilla Career Opportunities

Helping riders with gear and little old ladies cross the street | RevZilla.com
ZLAHiVizBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 06:44 PM   #1211
NechakoRiver
Adventurer
 
NechakoRiver's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: BC Canada
Oddometer: 19
What is the fit like between the Klim Overland and Latitude Misano?

I got to try on an Overland in medium today and while it fit nicely in the waist it was too small in the sleeves and shoulders. I'm 5'11", fit 33" waist jeans, have a 32" sleeve and 41" chest.

Is a large in either jacket going to be too loose around the waist?
NechakoRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 03:27 PM   #1212
ZLAHiVizBrian
So Viz-able!
 
ZLAHiVizBrian's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Location: Navy Yard, Philadelphia
Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by NechakoRiver View Post
What is the fit like between the Klim Overland and Latitude Misano?

I got to try on an Overland in medium today and while it fit nicely in the waist it was too small in the sleeves and shoulders. I'm 5'11", fit 33" waist jeans, have a 32" sleeve and 41" chest.

Is a large in either jacket going to be too loose around the waist?
You're most likely a Large in both jackets based on your measurements. I'm wearing the Misano and Overland in a Large. My measurements are below. I like the Misano best because it's adjustable at the waist.
  • 6ft
  • 195lbs
  • 42" chest
  • 31" from middle of back/neck to wrist bone
  • 35.5" waist around my belly button
  • 32-34 jeans

Misano (Black) Overland (Grey)



Let me know if I can help with anything else.

-Hi-Viz Brian
__________________
Hi-Viz Brian | '13 KLR 650 | '06 ZX6R

RevZilla Gear Discussion / Q&A | RevZilla Career Opportunities

Helping riders with gear and little old ladies cross the street | RevZilla.com
ZLAHiVizBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 04:10 PM   #1213
NechakoRiver
Adventurer
 
NechakoRiver's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: BC Canada
Oddometer: 19
Awesome! Thanks for the help Brian!

The large Latitude looks like it will be perfect. Now I just need to decide which colour I want.
NechakoRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 04:27 PM   #1214
Mastery
Mr. Funny Man
 
Mastery's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Hoosier Daddy?
Oddometer: 946
Brian: Any idea what the purpose of the 4 small red dots on the ratchet strap of the Sidi Canyon boots are for? Style or some purpose? Didn't notice them in the review or info on the product page, and they kind of are out of place with the color of the rest of the boots.

By the way, I took your size recommendation on the boots. The 10's fit very well, no need to exchange for a different size. Seems to run true to size.
__________________
Lighten up, Francis. If you can't take some sarcasm, an Internet forum is the last place you should be.

Mastery screwed with this post 08-26-2014 at 04:33 PM
Mastery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 11:28 AM   #1215
ZLAHiVizBrian
So Viz-able!
 
ZLAHiVizBrian's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Location: Navy Yard, Philadelphia
Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by avc8130 View Post
I do think that would help, probably a lot more people than just me!

The 2 products are clearly targeted directly at the same audience and attempt to solve the same scenario in different enough ways to make a comparison.

I'm mostly trying to wrap my head around the benefits of each from a packing, and then living with for a week camping, scenario.

Is the 1 big dry bag that pops out of the holster rapid the answer?

Or are 3 stuff sacks, each could be categorized, the answer?

It looks like the Altrider could be ridden in "holster" configuration. How feasible is it to ride with the Coyote empty?

How does each compare with a week's worth of stuff loaded up compared to a day's?

See what I'm getting at?

At ~$350, I just want to have all of the info before dropping the cash.

ac

ac

Hey avc8130,


Thank you for your patience! I took a few pictures of each bag sitting on our F800GS in order to give you a better representation of their profiles.


The AltRider Hemisphere saddlebags and tank bag are the winners, IMO.


AltRider Hemisphere Tank Bag -- (Pictures) vs Giant Loop Fandango Tank Bag -- (Pictures)


Both bags have similar mounting pads and overall profiles. The Fandango and Hemisphere tank bags have heavy-duty zippers that connect the bags to their mounting pads. The Hemisphere has a U-shaped connection zipper, while the Fandango has two zippers on each side (left and right) that run parallel to the bike. Theoretically, the Hemisphere has a stronger connection, but they're small tanks bag that aren't carrying much weight. The beefy connection zippers on the Fandango are completely fine for what they do. The Hemisphere tank bag comes with an extra 3 liters of storage and a waterproof main compartment liner. The vinyl coated polyester shell of the Fandango does resist water, but its zippers leak over time in heavy rain. A rain cover is recommended with the Fandango. I am a fan of the Hemisphere's top / lid. It's easily closed and secured with a firm nap. Both bags have the same MSRP although the Fandango is $9.97 (5%) cheaper at the moment.


AltRider Hemisphere Saddlebags -- (Pictures) vs Giant Loop Coyote Saddlebag With Dry Pods -- (Pictures)


The way I see it, with the Hemisphere saddlebags, you're getting the Giant Loop Coyote saddlebags without the Dry Pods. You're also getting a waterproof main compartment and 6 liters of additional storage. The Dry Pods are nice waterproof organizers, but I'm a "keep it simple stupid" kinda guy. The Dry Pods are one more thing to think about / pack and unpack. I can see myself getting irritated trying to remember which Dry Pod I put my keys or wallet in, opening and closing each compartment until I've lost my mind . The Hemisphere's side pouches add a ton of utility to a weekend or week-long camping trip. I would never try carrying firewood with the Coyote. That's a potential puncture waiting to happen. Filled to the brim or empty, both bags pack nicely. The Hemisphere is $20 more than the Coyote at MSRP. Since the Coyote is 5% off, the Hemisphere is now $38 more. Based on your organizational habits, you might be better off with the Coyote bag. What do you see yourself using more, the Hemisphere's side pouches or the Coyote's Dry Pods?

I hope this help! Let me know if there is anything else I can add.

Cheers,

-HVB
__________________
Hi-Viz Brian | '13 KLR 650 | '06 ZX6R

RevZilla Gear Discussion / Q&A | RevZilla Career Opportunities

Helping riders with gear and little old ladies cross the street | RevZilla.com
ZLAHiVizBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014