Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-25-2009, 10:37 AM   #1
PauHana OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
2610 gone crazy

at start of ride today my 2610 seemed to be working fine. About 30 miles into the ride it's started doing some strange things. Added a extra (straight line) running off from the route it was running. Keep losing the route, rerouting in wrong direction, etc. Restarted unit and worked ok for a short time than did it again. Restarted again, unit worked but than lost my destination. Did a turn and the route was gone. Thought maybe I screwed up setting up the route but it did the same thing on two different routes I had setup for the ride back home. What the heck?

Am running V9 with latest upgrade (first time I have used unit since upgrade) Firmware is up to date.

Should I try a hard restart? Will I need to reload my maps if I do this??
Up to today have had no issues with unit. Still under warranty as it's a refurb I got last May.
Old 01-25-2009, 03:03 PM   #2
JR356
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by PauHana
at start of ride today my 2610 seemed to be working fine. About 30 miles into the ride it's started doing some strange things. Added a extra (straight line) running off from the route it was running. Keep losing the route, rerouting in wrong direction, etc. Restarted unit and worked ok for a short time than did it again. Restarted again, unit worked but than lost my destination. Did a turn and the route was gone. Thought maybe I screwed up setting up the route but it did the same thing on two different routes I had setup for the ride back home. What the heck?

Am running V9 with latest upgrade (first time I have used unit since upgrade) Firmware is up to date.

Should I try a hard restart? Will I need to reload my maps if I do this??
Up to today have had no issues with unit. Still under warranty as it's a refurb I got last May.
Reboot it,you will not lose maps as they are on the data card(take out the card if this is a concern to you)

JR356
JR356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 06:43 AM   #3
daGeeeze
Geeezed lightning

Oddometer: 1,938
When my old 2610 started doing similar things I took it into a public restroom and washed it with warm soapy water in the sink. I made sure to clean around the edges of the screen (gently) to get the little stuff that collected there.

It worked fine for a long time after that. It started acting up again and I repeated the washing again with good results.

Pat aka Geeeze
daGeeeze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 12:52 PM   #4
gahboo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Mine just freaked out...

After lots of use it just stopped working, and misbehaved like you say. Rebooting did not help. So, I just bought another one off eBay for $50. They are so cheap now, that I am actually stocking up... Great units for bikes.
gahboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 02:55 AM   #5
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by daGeeeze
When my old 2610 started doing similar things I took it into a public restroom and washed it with warm soapy water in the sink. I made sure to clean around the edges of the screen (gently) to get the little stuff that collected there.

It worked fine for a long time after that. It started acting up again and I repeated the washing again with good results.
OK - so at first I thought you were just making a funny comment about giving it a good wash and making it clean and happy.

Then I realized it was a touchscreen - and crud on the screen might be giving it false inputs, so cleaning the screen, and the crud around the edges might eliminate that.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 04:49 AM   #6
LowAdvRider
Why aren't we Riding?

Oddometer: 131
Shut off the remote. Sun in the IR port will do this. Also, pull and reset the card. The connection get weird. If nothing else, give it a smack. Works for me every time. Or at least it makes me feel good.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:32 AM   #7
daGeeeze
Geeezed lightning

Oddometer: 1,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Dave
OK - so at first I thought you were just making a funny comment about giving it a good wash and making it clean and happy.

Then I realized it was a touchscreen - and crud on the screen might be giving it false inputs, so cleaning the screen, and the crud around the edges might eliminate that.
Sorry, I guess I should have said that but I figured anybody with one would realize it's a touch screen.

Pat aka Geeeze
daGeeeze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 04:54 AM   #8
PauHana OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daGeeeze

Ok, I must admit when I first read this I thought that maybe the exhaust fumes were getting to much for you...............but after the 3rd time reading it made sense.

Have reset the unit and the card. Going to give it a run and see what happens. If still buggered up will contact Garmin and see about return while still in warranty.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:21 AM   #9
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,739
I've been having a intermittent problem with my 2610, somewhat like the problems described above.

Occasionally my screen will get stuck in one spot and it flickers. That is, as I'm driving, the maps stop moving with my location and the whole map screen wiggles at about 5 Hz. Touching the screen nor pressing the buttons fixes it. Usually if I turn off the GPS and turn it back on it'll be fine.

I've washed the screen (per the strange advice above), reloaded the firmware, did a hard reset, and removed and re-installed the CF card. I'll see if it continues to give me the same problem.

I fear I may have a new GPS in my future.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 09:24 PM   #10
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,739
A short 100-mile ride today produced no problems. Maybe that fixed it. Hope so.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 04:55 AM   #11
PauHana OP
Adventurer

Mine is still screwed. Now goes into safe mode whatever that is.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:52 PM   #12
Boatman
Take me down bitch!

Oddometer: 10,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowAdvRider
Shut off the remote. Sun in the IR port will do this. Also, pull and reset the card. The connection get weird. If nothing else, give it a smack. Works for me every time. Or at least it makes me feel good.

Just curoius how you "Shut off the remote"?

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 05:12 PM   #13
PauHana OP
Adventurer

Talked with Garmin today. Unit is on it's way back to them for repair.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:30 PM   #14
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Z
I've been having a intermittent problem with my 2610, somewhat like the problems described above.

Occasionally my screen will get stuck in one spot and it flickers. That is, as I'm driving, the maps stop moving with my location and the whole map screen wiggles at about 5 Hz. Touching the screen nor pressing the buttons fixes it. Usually if I turn off the GPS and turn it back on it'll be fine.

I've washed the screen (per the strange advice above), reloaded the firmware, did a hard reset, and removed and re-installed the CF card. I'll see if it continues to give me the same problem.

I fear I may have a new GPS in my future.

Jamie
Mine used to go wonky too. Found the solution was to tape off the light sensor (for the auto dimming), and also turn off the auto-dimming feature for the screen. Never had a problem again after that.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:34 PM   #15
Moving Pictures
Sir Loin of Biff

Oddometer: 8,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowAdvRider
Correction: turn off the remote-sensor option in the main menu on the unit.