Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2013, 11:24 PM   #211
khager
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 761
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinbanditrider View Post
California's laws on lane usage are pretty similar to Texas'. But you are right they could if they wanted too. Assuming they could get though the grid locked traffic to write me lol. There's sections of 820 and 35 that have no shoulder at all right now.

There's some sections of 820 it would be hard to lane-split a freakin bicycle thru there right now LOL!
khager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:50 AM   #212
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,440
Ya gotta do what you're comfortable with. If you're not comfortable sharing lanes, don't. ...but thinking 'you're crazy' is incorrect. It may be out of YOUR safety zone, but that doesn't mean it isn't within someone else's.

AFA the OP: I try to get into a flow-state and try to stop thinking. Open your mind to the possibilities, watch for twitches of front wheels, watch for faces in mirrors, listen for revving engines, etc. All clues as to what some brain-dead moron in a car is about to do. Stay ahead of em and there are fewer 'emergencies.'

Oh, and keep one eye on your mirror and get the funk outta the way if someone's sharing faster than you are. Been on both sides of that one.

M
Old 02-15-2013, 07:12 AM   #213
Wout67
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,138
When you guys are "splitting", how much faster than the speed of traffic do you go? When I was in CA, I wouldn't go much above 10 or 15 faster than traffic, and would only split if traffic was under 20.

www.iamsecond.com
Wout67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:31 AM   #214
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,515
I used to lane split when CHIPS was on TV and almost no one seemed to get upset. That's what we need, a modern version of Chips.

Rod
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:03 AM   #215
Andrew OP
Optimus Primer

Oddometer: 14,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
AFA the OP: I try to get into a flow-state and try to stop thinking. Open your mind to the possibilities, watch for twitches of front wheels, watch for faces in mirrors, listen for revving engines, etc. All clues as to what some brain-dead moron in a car is about to do. Stay ahead of em and there are fewer 'emergencies.'
I found it very relaxing to split lanes when I was doing it regularly - I think it was the effect of letting go of distraction, odd thoughts, and filling my senses with what was happening around me. Call it meditative... but I was better able to respond to the asshole cager when I wasn't caught up in thoughts about work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wout67 View Post
When you guys are "splitting", how much faster than the speed of traffic do you go? When I was in CA, I wouldn't go much above 10 or 15 faster than traffic, and would only split if traffic was under 20.
I'll go 10-15 faster than traffic, right up to 45 or 50, depending on conditions. A lower cap when it's dark or wet. And for me, the worst traffic to split through has always been the slowest. And most frustrating of all splitting through stopped traffic - people can't be counted on to stop their cars 'n trucks in the middle of lanes.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:56 AM   #216
DirtReeper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 508
I love it. I love seeing the looks on the idot cagers faces as I pull through a stack of them to the light and loft the front when the light changes and am home or in and out of the store and loading the bike when they come pulling in the lot. Had one old dude say to me "That was pretty slick what you did back there, wish I had a bike so I could do that" I chuckled and said yeah it cuts down a lot of time spent in traffic. As for my thought s when doing it? what thoughts? I'm too busy looking for the lines I'm going to be followingthrough traffic and watching for cagers to do something stupid.
DirtReeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:23 PM   #217
Mr Vimes
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
I love filtering through traffic.

The one thing that I never do is go between the inside kerb and traffic. Going through rush traffic is one of the joys of riding. Better still is when there is a huge traffic jam. During July we have the Royal Norfolk Show, traffic queues for about 15 miles out. It's great just pottering down the outside of all the sweating cagers. I never go more than 20 mph when passing still traffic though, to risky.

One of the things that I like is when the cagers see me and move over slightly to let me through. I do the same route every day and the I come across the same people each day, they normally give a wave after moving over, nice start to the day. The only thing that I think about is whether the pissed of taxi driver/ frustrated business man/ myopic old fart/ dip shit boy racer with stick on bits on his car, has actually seen me.

I don't know whether you folks feel the same but I always feel great after the ride home.
Mr Vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:06 PM   #218
Andrew OP
Optimus Primer

Oddometer: 14,846
I haven't been splitting as much since I moved my office to Berkeley, but today I had a visit in Santa Clara. Sheesh, 880 was jammed from the airport to 237, and it was near-solid the entire way back. Whatever happened to that prime directive, slower traffic shall keep to the right? I found myself passing on the right, like way over in the slow lane, as often as I was splitting between lanes 1 and 2. Just my general mode, to fill the empty space. If I could do one thing to alleviate traffic congestion, it would be to educate car drivers to stay to the right except to pass.

There are more bloated utility wagons out there than ever before... tall, squat, wide, ugly cars that take up more space than anyone really needs, and so often just a solo driver inside the cage. What's with that? It feels like I get more respect (=space to get by) from the buses and semi-tractors than from cars and pickups.
Old 12-09-2013, 04:45 PM   #219
erkmania
Still Adventuring

Oddometer: 773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wout67 View Post
I would kinda time myself with a mental, "one-one-thousand" per car. That should work out to +10 to 15 mph above the prevailing traffic speed. I personally stop lane splitting as I approach the prevailing maximum speed.

So far, so good.

2011 BMW R1200GS, 2004 KTM 950, 1996 ATK 605 ESDS

erkmania screwed with this post 12-13-2013 at 03:38 PM
erkmania is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 05:42 PM   #220
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,335
usually while entering a split i think 'here we go!' or take a deep breath and think 'get ready'

while splitting i can't say i think of much until after i get past traffic. usually just something like 'glad i'm not driving' or 'so long suckers.' when i see especially aggressive drivers speeding past me only to run into traffic shortly afterward i sometimes think 'they need a bike' as i split past

so far as lane splitting i love it. its hard to explain. some don't. i read posts from riders in other parts of the country where splitting is illegal and they hate traffic and commuting. i love it. whenever someone asks me "how was traffic" i always say 'their wasn't any.' because their wasn't. once a rider posted "even if lane splitting traffic is there." but for me its not. and thats how i see it

it makes all the difference in an urban environment, or even on faster roads when sliding by tightly spaced cars. one little move this way or that and the entire road opens up before you

freedom from lot's of things in that moment
Old 12-12-2013, 11:44 AM   #221
palinka
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Oh, and keep one eye on your mirror and get the funk outta the way if someone's sharing faster than you are. Been on both sides of that one.

M
This!

I commute in LA, so I filter every damn day. Almost daily I catch up to someone who is filtering at 1-2 mph faster then the rest of traffic. WTF, why even bother filtering at that point. And of course most of these don't move over to faster traffic. I feel like they are putting me in danger by getting me stuck.

9 out of 10 times it's some hipster on a "cafe racer" ie. new boneville with pipes and a half helmet, or they are on a chromed out Harley.
The 1% are never an issue. Either they are flying, or they'll waive you by without hesitation.
palinka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 11:54 AM   #222
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 6,738
I get to find out soon.

Moving to San Diego next month.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 07:10 PM   #223
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
I get to find out soon.

Its gonna be a culture shock for you. It was for me moving from the DC area.

Some parts of living in SoCal are much nicer, some parts aren't.

There's something to be said for 70 and sunny year round.

M
Old 12-12-2013, 07:20 PM   #224
jeepinbanditrider
Dunkin Donuts Crasher

Oddometer: 1,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
I get to find out soon.

Let me know when you get here we'll have to go for a ride up to Santa Rosa Mountain Yellow Post campsites.
jeepinbanditrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:39 PM   #225
ColonelDibsies
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
The reason people are alone in big cars is because a lot of people can't afford to have two cars, one that does what they need it to do (take the whole family, tow the boat, etc...) and one that's small and Eco friendly and doesn't piss off the hippies....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ColonelDibsies is offline   Reply With Quote