Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2009, 09:14 PM   #16
Andrew OP
Optimus Primer

Oddometer: 15,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
My usual thought when lane splitting is "hahahahahaaa, suckers! Wheeee!"
Beware the Hubris, it can smack you down fast.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:40 PM   #17
Ryan
Flugistani

Oddometer: 375
Cover both levers.

Ryan
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 11:35 PM   #18
Dadd
Just another AARGHRider

Oddometer: 174
You don't realize just how convenient it is until you get out of state. Really pisses 'em off in Chicago. And Oregon. And Washington. To name a few.

I couldn't live like that...............
Old 01-29-2009, 12:10 AM   #19
SocalRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,588
My hat is off to my brethren lane splitters from the Bay Area. LA traffic always seems more ordered to me than traffic in the Bay Area. Only exception is the Long Beach Freeway which carries a huge amount of truck traffic to and from the port and always seems to have huge pot holes, loose rocks and crap dropped off trucks. I don't like those angle iron corners of death on the back of trucks. Long Beach Fwy might be almost like a Bay Area freeway. Of course I generally wont split between two big rigs either. My hat is off to Andrew.

I love splitting here in SoCal. For me its as just about the same as a trip up a canyon. Definitely keeps me here and now.

'07 White (the coolest color) GSA rider
'13 Husky Strada & '14 KTM 690 Enduro
SocalRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 12:13 AM   #20
tedder
irregular

Oddometer: 8,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadd
You don't realize just how convenient it is until you get out of state. Really pisses 'em off in Chicago. And Oregon. And Washington. To name a few.

There's some truth to that.
tedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 12:21 AM   #21
Hatch
PAR OG

Oddometer: 3,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadd

I couldn't live like that...............
Add Florida to that list. Big time. They will fucking kill you if you even think about it. Then the cops will put a ticket on your dead body when they arrive onscene.
Old 01-29-2009, 01:51 AM   #22
KIP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Last Freedom

One of the few laws (or lack of) that we have here in Ca. I tend to be careful during splits (10-15 above speed of traffic) and don't split if traffic is moving at 25 or higher. Still there are those concerned cager citizens that try to block your path. Some think your a lawbreaker. Maybe they lost a mirror to a lane-splitter?
Old 01-29-2009, 04:24 AM   #23
ADVJake
***** dweller

Oddometer: 4,341
So what do you guys do when you hit a car's mirror rather hard? pull over and... do what?
Or keep going?
Old 01-29-2009, 05:39 AM   #24
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVJake
So what do you guys do when you hit a car's mirror rather hard? pull over and... do what?
Or keep going?
I had a long chat with a CHP last summer whilst shopping at a Cycle Gear outlet in Santa Rosa. I wanted the hard facts on this, as it's not legal [for non policemen anyways] where I live. He explained that IF there were any impact, clip, or other collision while va bike is lane sharing, the motoryclist [or should I say the vehicle undertaking lane sharing] is deemed automatically at fault.
As far a hitting a mirror, it's a personal decision, it's hit & run if you don't stop, elevating the situation 5 fold.
Steve
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 05:41 AM   #25
Qwik
Adrenaline Addict

Oddometer: 6,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVJake
Or keep going?
Usually I hit em on purpose because "Johnny Do Gooder" is trying to stop me from splitting. Ti Knuckled Gloves are also good for slapping a window with the back of your hand. I have taken a few off of cars for trying to pinch me. Hyundai mirrors make damned good pinballs. I will be in the Bay area in a couple weeks with my 400EXC Supermoto and I am looking forward to Splittin with it. As for lane splitting while Living in Colorado, they are as bad as florida.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:16 AM   #26
Mudcat
Unregistered

Oddometer: 4,472
Lane splitting is fun and handy but itís not as fun as a back road or dirt track. And in the middle of heavy traffic is no place to be pulling stunts. It just creates animosity among the general public against all motorcyclists and, frankly, itís pretty squirrelly behavior. Its pit racer stuff
Untill I'm ready
Mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 10:17 AM   #27
Hhankthecrank
n00b

Oddometer: 1
lane splitter

The other day I saw a rider splitting traffic on the freeway at above 70 MPH leaned back against backpack on back of seat knees against handle bars steering and texing at same time just looking up occationally.
Hhankthecrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 10:30 AM   #28
Qwik
Adrenaline Addict

Oddometer: 6,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudcat
Lane splitting is fun and handy but itís not as fun as a back road or dirt track. And in the middle of heavy traffic is no place to be pulling stunts. It just creates animosity among the general public against all motorcyclists and, frankly, itís pretty squirrelly behavior. Its pit racer stuff
When someone tries to take me out I defend myself.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:39 AM   #29
double_entendre
Ticking away the....

Oddometer: 4,057
Coming home last night splitting lanes between the carpool and fast lane on the 405 in Orange County I got stuck behind a bus. I hate getting stuck behind those motherfuckers. Yeah, I get that it makes sense to let them use the carpool lane, but ya can't see past 'em and they dump shitloads of diesel exhaust into your face. Pisses me off.

Finally found a spot where there was a break in traffic on in the fast lane, shot right and got around him with absolutely no room to spare between his front end and the back end of a car in the fast lane. Scared the fuck outta myself.

Then I was pissed at myself for pulling that stunt off. Really stupid. The bus was doing 50, so it wasn't like I wasn't making decent time compared to the traffic lanes.

Wife would be pissed if I killed myself doing a stunt like that.

Rancho
Old 01-29-2009, 11:11 AM   #30
Quedok
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Lane Splitting

Not only do I do it daily, but I have done so for the last 30 years. Only once did I make contact....or should I say he made contact with me. A 3/4 ton van with a blind driver started to change lines an I felt a nudge on my handle bars. A reactive one fingered salute and I was back on my way.
My pulse didn't even rise.

My worst experience was 26 miles of bumper to bumper lane splitting on the 91 freeway going east thru Green River (Orange county to Riverside County) here in So. Cal. on a bagged GS no less. My eyeballs were dry from that one.

For the most part though, the drivers will move aside but once in awhile there's the guy who wants to ruin your day.
Quedok is offline   Reply With Quote