Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2009, 06:46 AM   #46
dman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybueller
I do 100 mi. a day commute in the bay area and find 60 percent of the drivers will work with you, 39 percent do not see you and 1 will try to cut you off.
I've been commuting/splitting in the SF Bay Area for 30+ years and I agree, though perhaps the 60% and 39% are swapped, and it's probably more like 60, 39.99 and .01% . All this talk of rapping windshields and grabbing mirrors is a joke, right? I just want to get off the freeway and get home.

-dman
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 03:07 PM   #47
Megamoto
Yes, I do look like this.

Oddometer: 2,853
Filtering.

As it's called this side of the pond. I do it all the time, if there is a queue then there's always a way through. If there's a bike behind me then I'll move over, to the far side of the lane, it gives the guy behind somewhere to move in to 'just in case'.
What do I think about? I'd like to say 'Can I stand her up?' but then I'd sound like a Knob. It's mainly 'Mooooove over you fuckwhit'.
I've only nudged one car, a BMW, but he was about 3 miles back from the front of the queue, soooo.......

I'm so happy I could whistle through my willie. (Dan Walsh)

Per Ardua ad Astra
Megamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 07:56 PM   #48
Mudcat
Unregistered

Oddometer: 4,472
I think filtering is, when the traffic is stopped or almost stopped and you’re working your way through it. No?
Untill I'm ready
Mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 08:56 PM   #49
Andrew OP
Optimus Primer

Oddometer: 15,190
Mirrors

You've got to have clean mirrors, and they have to be adjusted so you get a clean view to the side and back behind, without a big twist of the head. How clean? Remorselessly clean, and John Muir used to say. Any dirt or dust film will distort what you see or diminish what you can see, and especially at night or in bad weather. For pure splitting/filtering, you might think you want extra side vision, without as much coverage straight behind, but that's a mistake. You're not always filtering, for one thing, and you might miss the knee-dragger who's coming up fast on your ass, for another.

Old 02-03-2009, 08:57 PM   #50
double_entendre
Ticking away the....

Oddometer: 4,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew
There's a proper etiquette for fellow motorcyclists, when splitting.

It's unspoken, but you know to make room for a faster rider coming up behind you.
Funny that you should say that. I was sharing lanes up I-15 from Corona to Onterible yesterday and things dogged up like they always do. I'm poking along (an FJR with side bags and FZ1 mirrors is not narrow) and some guy on a sportbike came up behind me. No sweat. I moved over, let him pass, then got behind him and went back to poking. (Thank Dog this isn't in JM.)

Anyway, he was moving pretty quickly. Not stupid fast, but faster than I'd want to. And then the inevitable happened. Someone in an SUV decided that the lane they were in wasn't the lane they wanted to be in, and then changed lanes right in front of him. He locked up the rear brake a bit, but managed to get slowed down before plowing into the side of the SUV.

Careful out there, kiddies--they ain't lookin'. Be glad we're moving at all. No need to race.

IMHO, YMMV, not valid in certain jurisdictions.

Oh. And it's lane "sharing," not "splitting." RIP TWN.

Rancho
Old 02-04-2009, 04:36 AM   #51
wombatunderground
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
I have yet to join the MC crew on the road yet, having only recently bought my first bike and am saving for ATGATT, rego and my Licence, however I have had some really bad experiences with morons on bikes(not calling all MCers morons) who have hit my car and pissed off quick.

I can imagine that on a hot day, sitting in ATGATT you would want to be moving and I'm sure you are fairly certain of your skills but if the dickhead in the car next to me does something stupid and happens to drive the splitting MCer into my car I will be getting out and beating the living snot out of both of them.

At the moment I am a cager. I am more aware of my surroundings in my car then quite a number of other cagers and if I notice you splitting or coming up quickly behind me I will try to give you room but god help you if you act like a dick or hit my car in any way.

I may change my mind on the subject after getting stuck in traffic in the heat in ATGATT but right at this moment I don't think lane splitting is something a smart person should be doing.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:17 AM   #52
hugerider
Taking the long way home.

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatunderground
I have yet to join the MC crew on the road yet, having only recently bought my first bike and am saving for ATGATT, rego and my Licence, however I have had some really bad experiences with morons on bikes(not calling all MCers morons) who have hit my car and pissed off quick.

I can imagine that on a hot day, sitting in ATGATT you would want to be moving and I'm sure you are fairly certain of your skills but if the dickhead in the car next to me does something stupid and happens to drive the splitting MCer into my car I will be getting out and beating the living snot out of both of them.
Sure you will.

Quote:
At the moment I am a cager. I am more aware of my surroundings in my car then quite a number of other cagers and if I notice you splitting or coming up quickly behind me I will try to give you room but god help you if you act like a dick or hit my car in any way.

I may change my mind on the subject after getting stuck in traffic in the heat in ATGATT but right at this moment I don't think lane splitting is something a smart person should be doing.
I'd be willing to bet that everyone thinks that of themselves.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:40 AM   #53
double_entendre
Ticking away the....

Oddometer: 4,047
Quote:
So you're smarter than Dr. Hurt, huh? Done a controlled study yourself as well, I bet.

At least modesty is not something you struggle with.
Motorcycle Accident Cause Factors and Identification of Countermeasures, Volume 1: Technical Report, Hurt, H.H., Ouellet, J.V. and Thom, D.R., Traffic Safety Center, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California 90007, Contract No. DOT HS-5-01160, January 1981 (Final Report)

Rancho "I guess that makes me stupid"
Old 02-04-2009, 09:47 AM   #54
Andrew OP
Optimus Primer

Oddometer: 15,190
Three posts here since October? Was that time spent lurking, or just an occasional drive-by?
Quote:

Quote:
At the moment I am a cager.

Quote:

You quite obviously have no clue what you're talking about. Please come back when you're ready to mix it up with fellow motorcyclists. And no, by "mix it up" I don't mean beat the living snot out of them...
Old 02-04-2009, 09:56 AM   #55
Mik
Riding big jugs airheads

Oddometer: 598
A rider was killed, under the wheels of a semi, on 238 in the bay area yesterday lane splitting in the morning rush hour. I think about time and place before I l/s.

a "motor-bike with a touch of blood in it is better than all the riding animals on earth, because of its logical extension of our faculties, and the hint, the provocations, to excess."-T.E. Lawrence

"Don't thank me. Thank da Raidah's." Al Davis to Mik, at Hap's Original, 2008.

"We don't serve Heineken at the nickel machines". Complimentary drinks policy at some dump in Beatty, Nevada.
Mik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 10:13 AM   #56
andmoon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,187
I spent the couple of weeks in the LA and SF areas very grateful that not only was I riding in winter but lane sharing everywhere.

Best method was to tag behind a motocop and watch the parting of the cages.

No way to split 19th ave in SF...not on my GS anyway.

So is it legal for a car to share lanes w/ a bike if he deems the bike too slow?
Old 02-04-2009, 12:10 PM   #57
Mudcat
Unregistered

Oddometer: 4,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by andmoon
No way to split 19th ave in SF...not on my GS anyway.
Sure you can, I do it every time I am up there. But I am not aggressive about it and I try to be polite. I find most people respond positively towards me when I am L/S.I can’t always get to the head of the line at a light on 19th though.

Lane sharing is OK in California, so yeah, a car can move into your lane.
Untill I'm ready
Mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 01:17 PM   #58
skwidd
where does this lead?

Oddometer: 16,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew
Mirrors

You've got to have clean mirrors, and they have to be adjusted so you get a clean view to the side and back behind, without a big twist of the head. How clean? Remorselessly clean, and John Muir used to say. Any dirt or dust film will distort what you see or diminish what you can see, and especially at night or in bad weather. For pure splitting/filtering, you might think you want extra side vision, without as much coverage straight behind, but that's a mistake. You're not always filtering, for one thing, and you might miss the knee-dragger who's coming up fast on your ass, for another.

My mirrors do me no good for that EB Rat dood on the yellow bike, that guy hauls ass across the bridge and he's usually set up to go around me before I even know he's there.

'02 BN125 Eliminator, oversize 150 rear tire, 1 down on the front sprocket, Amsoil full synthetic race oil, dual gremlin bells
skwidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 06:48 PM   #59
Ola M
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman
I've been commuting/splitting in the SF Bay Area for 30+ years and I agree, though perhaps the 60% and 39% are swapped, and it's probably more like 60, 39.99 and .01% . All this talk of rapping windshields and grabbing mirrors is a joke, right? I just want to get off the freeway and get home.

-dman
I agree with those numbers. I've only done splitting in rush hour Bergen, Norway which is pretty benign, but it still grabs my entire attention. At low speeds it's actually quite easy to see the driver's head or the front wheels and judge his intentions on that. Unless it's a SUV and I can't see the driver, but then I know he'll merge into me anywaIy.

I've always given room to bikes when I'm in the car, but I usually didn't see them until they'd already passed. The few weeks before getting my license I was all "oh my fellow brethren of two wheels" and concentrated on checking the mirror often so I could place myself unevenly with the car in the other lane and make good room. But even then I'd be passed by two for every one I spotted early.

Of course my favourite cooking show was on the dash TV and I was minding the prawns in the cig light powered deep frier while poking facebook friends on the cell, but still. Car drivers usually don't see you.
Ola M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 10:01 PM   #60
CL204
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Wicked

I lane split on my trip in Europe. Here in Canada it is verboten. You get run down if you try. I did once while stopped completly in traffic. Bicycles were passing all of us, it was very hot, and the DR does not like idling in the hot. So I attempted a little lane splitting on the shoulder of the road. (is that still splitting or something else entirely?? Is it something totally against a code of some sort??) I literly had some dood in a large pickup block my way. He saw me coming and moved over, blocking the shoulder!!

My experiance in Europe was quite differant. Going down the centre line the cars ahead would pull over to let me through!!!!! I was amazed!!! Awesome! That is how it should be done!
CL204 is offline   Reply With Quote