Bike4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:24 PM   #62
wombatunderground
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugerider
Sure you will.

I'd be willing to bet that everyone thinks that of themselves.
1- Ok, so beating the living snot out of them would probably not happen, but they both would be sorry. The Cager for either being a dick and purposely trying to cut off the MCer or just being an ignorant moron with tunnel vision and the MCer for doing something that the cager doesn't expect.

2- I have yet to be in an accident due to the amount of attention I pay on the road. I have avoided more accidents than I like to remeber due to other people doing dumb things on the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by double_entendre
So you're smarter than Dr. Hurt, huh? Done a controlled study yourself as well, I bet.

At least modesty is not something you struggle with.
Motorcycle Accident Cause Factors and Identification of Countermeasures, Volume 1: Technical Report, Hurt, H.H., Ouellet, J.V. and Thom, D.R., Traffic Safety Center, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California 90007, Contract No. DOT HS-5-01160, January 1981 (Final Report)

Rancho "I guess that makes me stupid"
I'm sorry, I have no idea what you're talking about atm but thank you for the info, I will do some investigating and see what this source says about the subject.

I never claimed to be an expert, I only gave my opinion. Lifes a learning experience, if you're not learning you must be dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew
Three posts here since October? Was that time spent lurking, or just an occasional drive-by?

You quite obviously have no clue what you're talking about. Please come back when you're ready to mix it up with fellow motorcyclists. And no, by "mix it up" I don't mean beat the living snot out of them...
I have been reading through the mountains of information on here. I haven't been having any MC adventures yet so I don't have a lot to share. I haven't started any major work on my Bike so again I don't have much to share.

I have been enjoying the sport/lifestyle through all the people on here who are out doing what I would like to be doing but don't have the cash just yet.

I have been "mixing it up" with MCers for quite a while now and most of the people I know who ride bikes seem to be of a similar opinion. I don't know, maybe it's because I'm in a different country and people aren't as pushy and arrogant... Maybe I don't know enough "thrill seekers".

Like I said earlier in this post, I didn't claim to be an expert.

Instead of being an Arse about "defending" your opinion maybe you could point me in the direction of some evidence that supports your claim, like double_entendre did.

It seems that no matter what forum you "chat" on there are always people willing to jump on you and be an Arse when you express an opinion that they don't share.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:37 PM   #63
Andrew OP
Optimus Primer

Oddometer: 15,193
Thought for today

People who threaten to beat the snot out of lane-splitting motorcyclists should be cited and put in jail.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:24 AM   #64
Ola M
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by CL204
I literly had some dood in a large pickup block my way. He saw me coming and moved over, blocking the shoulder!!
This always amazes me. "How dare you get home fast when I have to suffer in this traffic!"
Ola M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 02:03 AM   #65
wombatunderground
Adventurer

Quote:
People who threaten to beat the snot out of lane-splitting motorcyclists should be cited and put in jail.
I think if you actually go back and read my posts you might find that I wasn't threatening to "beat the snot out of lane-splitting motorcyclists" I was threatening idiots who hit my car.

Just out of curiosity, How would you react if some idiot put a ding in your bike? Would you be all calm and collected or would you feel like beating the snot out of them....?

I suppose I should hold some responsibility for this back and forth. I didn't read the title of the thread correctly I thought it read "thoughts on lane splitting." not the actual "thoughts while lane splitting." For that I apologize but I don't apologize for my opinion or anything else I have written.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:59 AM   #66
Mudcat
Unregistered

Oddometer: 4,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatunderground
Just out of curiosity, How would you react if some idiot put a ding in your bike? Would you be all calm and collected or would you feel like beating the snot out of them....?
Not many of us here are riding Harleys and if you hit a vehicle with your bike it gets dinged back.
When I was commuting all the time in my F250, I would have been very pissed if some asshat had taken out a mirror on the truck. And if I thought it was done on purpose I’d be looking for revenge.
I think a cager could take out a L/S with legal impunity. And then file a claim against his estate for damage to his vehicle and emotional distress.
I know to non-riders and even some riders, L/S seems unduly reckless. Statistics don’t bear that out and as a rider, I always feel it’s the cagers behind me that are the biggest danger. And of course, L/S is away for me to get away from them.
Untill I'm ready

Mudcat screwed with this post 02-05-2009 at 10:58 AM
Mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:13 AM   #67
hugerider
Taking the long way home.

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
It seems that no matter what forum you "chat" on there are always people willing to jump on you and be an Arse when you express an opinion that they don't share.
The problem is that your opinion is, as you have admitted, uninformed. It's based purely on speculation. First, you should read the Hurt Report [link (to summary)]. Second, when you transition from being purely a cager to someone who rides motorbikes in traffic, re-assess your feelings about lane sharing. Even if your opinion doesn't change, at least you'll be informed.

Remember, it's the internet, try not to take it too seriously.

hugerider screwed with this post 02-05-2009 at 10:18 AM
hugerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:45 AM   #68
SocalRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,355
Quote:
1- Ok, so beating the living snot out of them would probably not happen, but they both would be sorry.

You need to think about why you get so upset when somebody has an accident. I can understand the anger if they do something intentional, but accidents do happen. You are not the center of the universe. Cut your fellow humans some slack & you will go through life alot happier.

'07 White (the coolest color) GSA rider
'13 Husky Strada & '14 KTM 690 Enduro
SocalRob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 11:20 AM   #69
Andrew OP
Optimus Primer

Another point

Riding in the dark, in traffic, is much more stressful than during the day. The glare of headlights and reflections of lights, create additional sensory input that has to be processed, filtered, and acted upon. Add to this, most our night-time riding is in the evening, we're tired from the day's work, and not at our sharpest. Plus, it's harder to see road hazards like rough pavement seams between lanes. So, splitting/filtering/sharing/flugging is made all the more acute. I do okay, but as I get older, have less tolerance for high-beams and the newer HID lights on vehicles. Checking mirrors is harder, too, for all I might see are a line of headlights behind me, without clear distinction between vehicle boundaries. Usually, can tell if that's a fellow motorcyclist behind me or a car with bad lane position, but not always.

Truth is, I'll back off from splitting at night sooner than I would during the day, I have to trust the signal from the cellular CPU in my bean that says it's been a good day, mate, let's take it easy getting home.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:25 AM   #70
tedder
irregular

Oddometer: 8,797
Quote:
Wrong forum to ask that on. Most of us don't care about dings, dirt, and so on.

It's nice to get an education on motorcycling from someone who has never been on one before.
tedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 09:32 PM   #71
wombatunderground
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugerider
The problem is that your opinion is, as you have admitted, uninformed. It's based purely on speculation. First, you should read the Hurt Report [link (to summary)]. Second, when you transition from being purely a cager to someone who rides motorbikes in traffic, re-assess your feelings about lane sharing. Even if your opinion doesn't change, at least you'll be informed.

Remember, it's the internet, try not to take it too seriously.
I'm not taking it too seriously. I feel I have been quite calm with all of my posts.

I joined up to learn more about the culture that I plan to join.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurt Report
6. In multiple vehicle accidents, the driver of the other vehicle violated the motorcycle right-of-way and caused the accident in two-thirds of those accidents.
Apart from the people doing idiotic things on bikes this was what I thought was the main cause of motorcycle accidents. I agree it makes a lot of sense to be as far away from other road users as possible when on a bike to minimize the risk of accident, I even try to follow this rule in my cage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurt Report
7. The failure of motorists to detect and recognize motorcycles in traffic is the predominating cause of motorcycle accidents. The driver of the other vehicle involved in collision with the motorcycle did not see the motorcycle before the collision, or did not see the motorcycle until too late to avoid the collision.
However this here seems to suggest that putting yourself in a position that people don't expect you to be in isn't a good idea.

I didn't read in there anything about lane splitting specifically so could you please explain how lane splitting is supposed to be of benefit.

I did state earlier that after I start riding in earnest I may change my mind, however at the moment is seems an unsafe practice; to put yourself in a position people don't expect you to be in on a vehicle that doesn't offer a huge amount of protection.

Just because something fits somewhere doesn't mean you have to put it there.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:44 PM   #72
Andrew OP
Optimus Primer

Motorcycling is inherently risky. Knowing that, does not stop me from participating.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:17 PM   #73
wombatunderground
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalRob
You need to think about why you get so upset when somebody has an accident. I can understand the anger if they do something intentional, but accidents do happen. You are not the center of the universe. Cut your fellow humans some slack & you will go through life alot happier.
Are you telling me you wouldn't be upset if someone did something you consider dangerous and caused an accident with someone else and damaged your property?

I understand that I am not the centre of the universe, I don't believe I ever claimed to be the centre of the universe.

I am more than willing to cut my fellow humans some slack if they aren't doing something I believe to be dangerous in the first place.

The way I see it is some MCers understand the risks and think it's ok, however most cagers don't understand and that's where the problem starts.

The other MCers think it's their right to do something dangerous. This group I believe is a rather small minority, thankfully.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:20 PM   #74
wombatunderground
Adventurer

Quote:
Motorcycling is inherently risky. Knowing that, does not stop me from participating.
I agree, it is. Personally, without the riding experience that most of the members here have, I believe that MCers should be doing everything they can to reduce the risks to themselves. That includes not putting themselves in a position that other road users don't expect.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:25 PM   #75
wombatunderground
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedder
Wrong forum to ask that on. Most of us don't care about dings, dirt, and so on.

It's nice to get an education on motorcycling from someone who has never been on one before.
Ok, I understand the dings and dirt brought on by yourself enjoying your bike but honestly if someone knocked over your bike in a parking lot wouldn't you be upset?

I'm not trying to educate anyone, I put forward my opinion and I am defending what I believe.

I have ridden bikes before just not on the road and not any full on, off road riding.

I used to commute to and from school many many years ago on my pushbike and if I was on the road with cages I did my best to be seen and be where people would expect me to be. If I wanted to go around a traffic holdup I would do so off the road to minimize the risk to my person. obviously most of the time this isn't an option on a Motorcycle.