Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2009, 04:32 AM   #76
Qwik
Adrenaline Addict

Oddometer: 6,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatunderground
Are you telling me you wouldn't be upset if someone did something you consider dangerous and caused an accident with someone else and damaged your property?

I understand that I am not the centre of the universe, I don't believe I ever claimed to be the centre of the universe.

I am more than willing to cut my fellow humans some slack if they aren't doing something I believe to be dangerous in the first place.

The way I see it is some MCers understand the risks and think it's ok, however most cagers don't understand and that's where the problem starts.

The other MCers think it's their right to do something dangerous. This group I believe is a rather small minority, thankfully.
Just a Thought. Dangerous By YOUR Definition may be a nonissue by My Definition. Regardless of what You believe. Because a Cager is ignorant of the law (Like in California) doesnt make what I am doing Illegal or Dangerous. I am an Arrogant SOB when I ride and am VERY protective of my self and my machine. Get some time on a bike before you start making judgements about it. But Most importantly, Have Fun!
Old 02-06-2009, 07:27 AM   #77
RawRats
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
I lived in Japan for a couple of years. At red lights it was common practice for all of the motorcycles to then move to the front of the pack. Cagers (all of them) would move out of the way to let them do it. At night, at a red light, cars would also turn off their headlights, so as not to continually blind drivers sitting on the other side of the intersection. I don't know if there were any laws involved, forcing them to be more considerate of other drivers, but theirs is a society less confrontational than ours and deference to the other guy is the honorable thing to do.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:50 AM   #78
Mudcat
Unregistered

Oddometer: 4,472
Quote:
I agree, it is. Personally, without the riding experience that most of the members here have, I believe that MCers should be doing everything they can to reduce the risks to themselves. That includes not putting themselves in a position that other road users don't expect.
I think you are a fraud. You have never been a rider and never will.

Vehicles are not on castor wheels, there is not much danger passing alongside another vehicle. L/S is done throughout the world safely.
We canít remain a free country and implement policies of the safety Nazis among us.
Untill I'm ready
Mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 06:46 PM   #79
khager
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by CL204
I literly had some dood in a large pickup block my way. He saw me coming and moved over, blocking the shoulder!!
I get a lot of that around here too. Had it happen probably 4 or 5 times over the last year. Always pickups every time. Never cars. Bubba doesn't like it when somebody gets ahead of him. Had a couple of Semi's try it too. Watch those trucks!
khager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 08:10 PM   #80
capriccio
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoxNix
I love splitting.

Here in Germany, they will close the Autobahn if needed- you're stuck too bad.

One morning there was a fatal accident, car went into the opposite travel lane. Only one lane was open, split through it in 15 minutes, guys at work took 2 hours!

I did get pinched between a semi and a panel van, as in my handlebars were stuck. I had to turn them and wait for the van to move.
America is a horse of a different color than the European one. Americans are too uptight, stressed out, and ignorant about bikes. While riding in Europe my experieces have been mostly positive, in the States I would never put life at the whims of stressed out, rude, ignorant, drivers that would never pass a driving test in any European country. If I can I'll ride the shoulder till I can get off the highway and take the long way around, if not I'll take a break.

Capriccio.
capriccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 08:27 PM   #81
wombatunderground
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudcat
I think you are a fraud. You have never been a rider and never will.

Vehicles are not on castor wheels, there is not much danger passing alongside another vehicle. L/S is done throughout the world safely.
We canít remain a free country and implement policies of the safety Nazis among us.
Thank you for you opinion, I will treasure it close to my heart and laugh at you as I go cruising on my bike.

Vehicles may not be on castor wheels however the front wheels do turn and there is nothing stopping the idiot in a cage from trying to occupy the same space that you on your bike are trying to occupy.

Where I come from I'm pretty sure lane splitting is illegal. From what I've seen I can understand why. Maybe in different countries, where people have a different temperament it's safer....

As I've posted a couple of time before, my opinion may change once I have been riding for a while, right now however my belief is that it is unsafe.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:40 PM   #82
Mudcat
Unregistered

Quote:
Thank you for you opinion, I will treasure it close to my heart and laugh at you as I go cruising on my bike..
What bike is that?

Why donít you start posting when you know something about riding. It would make a lot more sense.
Untill I'm ready
Old 02-06-2009, 08:48 PM   #83
wombatunderground
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
What bike is that?

Why donít you start posting when you know something about riding. It would make a lot more sense.
The 1973 CB350 that's sitting in my garage waiting rego.

As much as I would like to just say Stuff it and lash out for everything I need to be riding, I have responsibilities to my family and through that other things I need to spend the cash on.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:33 PM   #84
capriccio
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,906
Quote:
The 1973 CB350 that's sitting in my garage waiting rego.

As much as I would like to just say Stuff it and lash out for everything I need to be riding, I have responsibilities to my family and through that other things I need to spend the cash on.
Dont let the fucktards get to you. Anyone of them can be legally killed by a stessed out, me first shithead using the "I just opened the door to dump my coffee and he slammed into my door" trick, perfectly legal. The officer arriving at the scene wont even be able to ticket the shithead as the Officer did not witness the infraction. This very same scenario was played out on the 59th. St. bridge many years ago and I'm sure it get replayed everywhere lane splitting is illegal. Sad, really.

Capriccio.
capriccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 11:32 AM   #85
curbjumper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by CL204
Here in Canada it is verboten. You get run down if you try. I did once while stopped completly in traffic. Bicycles were passing all of us, it was very hot, and the DR does not like idling in the hot. So I attempted a little lane splitting on the shoulder of the road. I literly had some dood in a large pickup block my way. He saw me coming and moved over, blocking the shoulder!!
Thoughts while lanesplitting?

What a great way to get around in traffic- I could not get up in the morning on a beautiful dayif it meant driving a car.

Verboten? Yes...
However, I do it every day on every ride- especially to get around pickup trucks that drive side by side blocking both lanes.
And occasionally to roll to the front of the line just before the light changes to green.

There is always a window of opportunity when they absolutely cannot change lanes/ move into me- and I'm by them before they know what's happening.

Yes, it's acting in an unpredictable manner in traffic- but I feel that when all the elements are in place to do it successfully- it's a wonderful manouvre to use.
It helps to have a bike with some potential for acceleration- I would not have done it at highway speeds on the DR600 I owned.

On the shoulder? WAY more dangerous- very easy to hit something or be hit- though I'll use it if I feel the need.
However, curbs, grass medians, shoulder of the road, dotted line, solid line... I will use them if I decide to.
I know the risk.
If I can fit there, I will go.

Nor do I have a desire to drive in the midst of a line of traffic where all kinds of shit happens- when I could be by them and away from them.

In the 40 years since I began riding, I found that different approaches work for different riders- and different geographic locales/ cities/ cultures apply as well.

Mudcat you are absolutely correct- vehicles are not on castor wheels- splitting or filtering when done properly is a riding skill to use to one's advantage.
The fact that it's illegal makes it that much more delicious and doable- and satisfying at the end of the ride.

I am not an ambassador for motorcycling- I've been through that stage, those years- and thankfully I survived it.

A motorcycle is not an automobile- I have no beef with those of you that choose to drive your motorcycle like it is an automobile- but that riding style is not for me; and I understand that you may view lanesplitting where it's not legal as ludicris and irresponsible- I'm not going to change
curbjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 03:18 PM   #86
rsimpson
Long Way OK?

Oddometer: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by curbjumper

I am not an ambassador for motorcycling- I've been through that stage, those years- and thankfully I survived it.
You're an ambassodor for motorcycling every time you throw your leg over a bike. You DO make the rest of us look bad.

That said, I am not a perfect rider. I will on occasion cross a double-yellow when splitting. I do my best to follow the rules and ride "like a car". I recognize that every time I make a bonehead move, I may have created another driver that decides they want to block a lane-splitting motorcyclists.
rsimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 08:29 PM   #87
Andrew OP
Optimus Primer

Oddometer: 14,884
I've been taking a self-enforced break from commuting this week, too many distractions at work, which I can't shake loose while riding. So, I putt over to BART and take the subway. Better safe than sorry, but the lanes will still be there to split when I can clear my head.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:44 AM   #88
Mudcat
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew
I've been taking a self-enforced break from commuting this week, too many distractions at work, which I can't shake loose while riding. .
Good call.

When I am asked, why do I ride? I really ride because it relaxes me. Itís pure escapism. All my problems disappear; my full attention is on what I am doing.

A long time ago I learned, inattention was the root cause of most of my falls.
Untill I'm ready
Old 02-12-2009, 11:19 AM   #89
Andrew OP
Optimus Primer

Oddometer: 14,884
Quote:
Good call.

When I am asked, why do I ride? I really ride because it relaxes me. Itís pure escapism. All my problems disappear; my full attention is on what I am doing.

A long time ago I learned, inattention was the root cause of most of my falls.
Some mornings, I can tell straight off are not good days to ride, and I don't push it.

I did ride today, having settled on some painful conclusions about the work situation. My mind is clearer, and the "work" of riding and splitting was easily dispatched. Dry roads helped, too.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:13 AM   #90
Human Ills
Useful Idiom

Oddometer: 21,763
Thought after lane-splitting? "wow, I just got home an HOUR earlier today because I took my bike" I was also able to take the most direct route instead of all the surface streets and detours I usually take when on four wheels.

Anybody that tells me motorcycles should be in bumper to bumper traffic with cars is, in my mind, not a rider.

In 80 miles from the north bay to the valley, not one driver failed to make or leave room for me. Of course I wasn't flying by them, my procedure is to wait until traffic slows down to about 35 maybe 40 and share at about 45-50.
Human Ills is offline   Reply With Quote