Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2009, 11:44 AM   #91
double_entendre
Ticking away the....

Oddometer: 3,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Ills
Thought after lane-splitting? "wow, I just got home an HOUR earlier today because I took my bike" I was also able to take the most direct route instead of all the surface streets and detours I usually take when on four wheels.

Anybody that tells me motorcycles should be in bumper to bumper traffic with cars is, in my mind, not a rider.

In 80 miles from the north bay to the valley, not one driver failed to make or leave room for me. Of course I wasn't flying by them, my procedure is to wait until traffic slows down to about 35 maybe 40 and share at about 45-50.
Ditto. Don't know why, but the 405 was alllll fouled up this morning on my commute. Normally it takes me about 15-20 minutes to get to work. Today it took me closer to twenty--because I was able to share lanes. If I hadn't I'd have been on the road for twice as long.

Amusingly, there was one gal in a minivan as I filtered to the front at a light (en route to the freeway) who was pretty bent out of shape that I went past her. She tried to make it harder and I opted to pull in one of my mirrors so that I could get past without knocking her mirror.

She caught up to me at the next light (her in the right lane, me to her left in my lane) and peeled out when the light changed. I accidentally popped up the front end when I got on it a bit harder than normal. I was laughing to myself as I lane shared, thinking how pissed she had to be at sitting in traffic.

Hey minivan bitch! Relax, it doesn't affect you when I share your lane.

Rancho
Old 02-13-2009, 09:26 PM   #92
transplant
not OEM

Oddometer: 229
I've been out of California for less than a year, and while I do miss the courteousness of Bay Area cagers, I don't miss lane-splitting. Here in NYC, I de facto lane-split all the time because everyone drives in my lane.
transplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 11:09 PM   #93
old wanderer
Old quick guy

Oddometer: 371
Quote:
Thought after lane-splitting? "wow, I just got home an HOUR earlier today because I took my bike" I was also able to take the most direct route instead of all the surface streets and detours I usually take when on four wheels.

Anybody that tells me motorcycles should be in bumper to bumper traffic with cars is, in my mind, not a rider.

In 80 miles from the north bay to the valley, not one driver failed to make or leave room for me. Of course I wasn't flying by them, my procedure is to wait until traffic slows down to about 35 maybe 40 and share at about 45-50.
For 50 years I rode SoCal and lane split...My reaction to problems was usually more throttle. Riding my Aprilia Falco the past 3 years, I could clear any problem truck/auto in under 2 seconds.

While those that have not done this on a regular basis might deem it dangerous, I do not.

One day (3 years ago) leaving work, I had just pulled on the Freeway, and found the traffic slowing, I slipped between lanes, until I came upon the cause for the big slow down. There on the ground was a big honda tourinb bike, and the rider was rolling around clutching a broken leg...He was in stop and go traffic when the auto behind hit him...I guarantee I will never be hit from behind.

Since moving to WA last year, I really miss the fun of traveling fast, and free through traffic.

As I read through this tread, it sort of reminds me of an old Zen saying:

"Those that know do not say, and those that say do not know"

Iron Butt #32691

Life begins at 30 but starts to become really fascinating approaching 150!!

2008 KLR 705+
2007 Beta 525RR
2003 Aprilia Futura
2001 Aprilia Falco(2)
2002 Aprilia CapoNord
2000 Honda CBR 600 F4 (Track only)
old wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 02:04 AM   #94
ADVJake
i like stuff

Oddometer: 4,338
my biggest fear lane splitting is a car opening its door. happened to my workmate and wrote off his bike.
Old 02-14-2009, 07:09 AM   #95
Andrew OP
Optimus Primer

Oddometer: 14,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVJake
my biggest fear lane splitting is a car opening its door. happened to my workmate and wrote off his bike.
I've seen this happen only once on highways/freeways, and it was when traffic on the Bay Bridge between San Francisco and Oakland was at a standstill, due to some Flugging up ahead. With no forward progress, people were getting out of their cars and trucks to stretch and look out from the side of the Bridge. Never mind that "trains" of motorcyclists were making forward progress. I didn't swap any paint that day, but it was probably the most stressful ride home I've experienced. The loud horns, and my clutch hand, got a workout.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:32 PM   #96
Global Rider
Alps Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,718
Thoughts? Only one, and the same one over and over again...

Incredible! You'd never see those inbred drivers back home moving apart to let a motorcycle through.

Euro & North American Travel & Technical Stuff for the R1150 GS & Adventure

Euro & Alps Motorcycle Tours - Priced Right, How to go about

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.....A. Einstein
Global Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 08:14 AM   #97
Mudcat
Unregistered

Oddometer: 4,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Global Rider
Thoughts? Only one, and the same one over and over again...

Incredible! You'd never see those inbred drivers back home moving apart to let a motorcycle through.
If it was legal all the bikes would be L/S and motorist would be used to it. Legality is the defining factor.
Untill I'm ready
Mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 11:39 AM   #98
Global Rider
Alps Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudcat
If it was legal all the bikes would be L/S and motorist would be used to it. Legality is the defining factor.
Actually, lane splitting isn't legal where I happen to ride every summer, yet the cars move apart for motorcycles because it is accepted.

The difference is, drivers in Germany, Austria and the neighboring countries I have driven in don't have the piss poor inbred attitude of your average driver on this continent who likes to play law enforcer.

In fact, I even passed five or six German police cars on the autobahn while in near stop 'n go driving a couple of years ago. They were each spread apart by quite a few cars, so it wasn't like the police car I just passed couldn't have radioed ahead to have me pulled over.

Furthermore, lane splitting there is done at low speed when cars are stopped or moving at a few MPH, not the usual 60 MPH lane splitting I see on the TV (California, I think). I'm not even for that...traffic is moving...what do I need to lane split for at 60 MPH?

Euro & North American Travel & Technical Stuff for the R1150 GS & Adventure

Euro & Alps Motorcycle Tours - Priced Right, How to go about

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.....A. Einstein
Global Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 04:59 PM   #99
Mudcat
Unregistered

Oddometer: 4,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Global Rider
, not the usual 60 MPH lane splitting I see on the TV (California, I think). I'm not even for that...traffic is moving...what do I need to lane split for at 60 MPH?
To get a way from a tailgater but that is probably it for me at 60MPH.
I am in California. I don’t do a lot of lane splitting but I am sure happy I can do it legally when I need too.
Anyway, most of us here have good experiences L/S. I attribute that to L/S widespread practice as a result of being legal. Motorist are used to it and rarely get excited over it.
But it really doesn’t need to be legal. As long as it is generally done, it becomes accepted.
Untill I'm ready
Mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 08:47 PM   #100
Andrew OP
Optimus Primer

I have got to get back to riding with my pants on, as soon as the leg zipper is fixed. It's frigid out there in the morning, and I get to work all spindly-legged, half frozen. I feel semi-naked without them, and it's distracting me from the attention I need to pay to the cagers.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:00 PM   #101
Human Ills
Useful Idiom

Oddometer: 20,223
Sure glad I rode my bike to work yesterday, I was right in the thick of the freeway-closing homicide on 580.
As approached Regatta exit where leo directed all traffic, a guy in a truck told me he'd been in the soup for an hour and a quarter. Timed from the Richmond side of the bridge to the Regatta exit.

That was a workout.
Human Ills is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 08:20 PM   #102
Andrew OP
Optimus Primer

Quote:
That was a workout.
I find it enervating to grind through dead-stopped or creeping traffic. Drivers lose their sense on lane placement, and I get pinched off and have to wait or back out of dead ends. It's rare, but still a major pain.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:00 PM   #103
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,806
Thoughts while lane-splitting...

Why doesn't the AMA get off it's sorry A$$ and work to make this legal in every state? They aren't going to get another dime out of me until they start working on this...

Followed by
Either "What the heck is that driver doing"
Or "Hey! Thanks for moving over"

Lane splitting is a great way to get or at least feel like you're getting through traffic.
Old 04-17-2009, 12:41 PM   #104
Andrew OP
Optimus Primer

Potholes. I hate potholes. Miserable road hazards that will inevitably take one of us out, and they proliferate due to shoddy construction practices and materials, and inadequate municipal maintenance budgets. I've posted elsewhere how I help the road crews find the bad ones by painting the rim of the hole with hi-viz striping paint. That also helps me avoid the rat bastards when I'm riding home at night, or in the rain. Seems to help other riders and drivers, too.

But I can't too easily get out on the freeway to paint the bad ones there. What to do? Well, I have had good success reporting the death traps to CalTrans, AKA California Department of Highways. They have a handy online form which I've used a few times, and each time, seen the offensive hazard corrected within a week.

http://www.dot.ca.gov/maintform.html

Try it out, if there's a problem on a local State-maintained road near you. The road crews primarily look for problems that affect cars and trucks, and will miss the edge traps and skinny troughs that are of concern to two-wheelers.
Old 04-18-2009, 12:14 PM   #105
VaderSS
Canyon Carving Goldwing

Oddometer: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorbike.ventures
Being a new rider, my only thought when lane splitting is "please don't open the door" :)
I don't worry too much about that. I figure the 900Lb Goldwing will make short work of a door... And then the a$$hat who opened the door can get a criminal charge against him without the satisfaction of actually hurting me.
VaderSS is offline   Reply With Quote