ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2009, 04:22 PM   #121
SuchesRider
Just Do It!
 
SuchesRider's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: North Georgia
Oddometer: 1,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunt
Thanks Patty. This is fun.

Trying to figure out somewhere to head tomorrow. Steven's got his 990 down here and we want to do a nice day trip and still be home for supper. Any suggestions? My puny KLR just doesn't pull the big miles like his KTM, so big chunks of slab isn't preferred (for me anyway).
Hi Chris. For a day trip tomorrow, I would reach out to Hardwaregrrl (Jenna) and find out from her where she rides in the Piedmont/Oconee area. She seems to know a number of dirt roads and places that look like they are in the middle of nowhere. I have to admit all of my riding has been in North Georgia! I'm too much of a chicken to bring any of my bikes to Atlanta! SR
__________________
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
SuchesRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 04:29 PM   #122
Chunt
pronounced Sea Hunt!
 
Chunt's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Decatur, GA
Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchesRider
Hi Chris. For a day trip tomorrow, I would reach out to Hardwaregrrl (Jenna) and find out from her where she rides in the Piedmont/Oconee area. She seems to know a number of dirt roads and places that look like they are in the middle of nowhere. I have to admit all of my riding has been in North Georgia! I'm too much of a chicken to bring any of my bikes to Atlanta! SR
Hi Jenna. Got any cool loops in the area Patty mentioned? I went over there this winter (in my truck) to check out the terrain and was impressed by the number of dirt roads in the area. It's for sure not north Georgia, but it's got it's own 'special' appeal. From what understand a lot of it is govt reclaimed farmland from the days of horrible unsustainable agricultural practices.

Chunt screwed with this post 04-08-2009 at 04:44 PM
Chunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 08:58 AM   #123
mile0321
Recon Marine
 
mile0321's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Sandy Springs, GA
Oddometer: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunt
Not easy but it came to me in my sleep. Good one. No crack heads but some crack rats.

Mine's coming.

Dang man...good job! I'm glad I checked the tag before I headed out there this morning!
mile0321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 04:19 PM   #124
Chunt
pronounced Sea Hunt!
 
Chunt's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Decatur, GA
Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by mile0321
Dang man...good job! I'm glad I checked the tag before I headed out there this morning!
Hardware girl hid it well. I went there thinking I knew exactly where it was and it wasn't. I almost pulled out of the lot and went home until I saw it in my rearview mirror.
Chunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 04:25 PM   #125
drsmiley
Gnarly Adventurer
 
drsmiley's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Atlanta, Ga.
Oddometer: 252
Hey CHunt, did you ride today in the Piedmont area? I thought about taking the day off and joining yall. If I get a chance here after dinner I'm going to get your tag.
drsmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 05:31 PM   #126
Chunt
pronounced Sea Hunt!
 
Chunt's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Decatur, GA
Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by drsmiley
Hey CHunt, did you ride today in the Piedmont area? I thought about taking the day off and joining yall. If I get a chance here after dinner I'm going to get your tag.
We're trying all compass points from the city. Today's was west/northwest. Out I-20 up 278 and all the way to Centre AL to a place we used to (20 years ago) climb sandstone on top of the mountains. It was a long day.

Bummer was the dirt road that went to the top of the mountain is now paved. Apparently some movie company helped get that done, for a production.
Chunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 07:30 PM   #127
hardwaregrrl
ignore list
 
hardwaregrrl's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta
Oddometer: 7,188
Awww, so sorry Chunt. I got the message, but alas, too late. Hope you guys still had a ball. Hopefully we can go riding in the piedmont soon!!!!
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 01:15 PM   #128
FriedDuck
Why die all tensed up?
 
FriedDuck's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Atlanta, GA
Oddometer: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunt
We're trying all compass points from the city. Today's was west/northwest. Out I-20 up 278 and all the way to Centre AL to a place we used to (20 years ago) climb sandstone on top of the mountains. It was a long day.

Bummer was the dirt road that went to the top of the mountain is now paved. Apparently some movie company helped get that done, for a production.
Aw man, I used to go climbing at Sand Rock too. I don't remember many of the climb names. A hard 5.12 with Bocephus spray painted at the base, Champagne Jam. My favorite bouldering place ever.

Bummer about the road. There was a trail that continued on past Sand Rock (more than 20 miles I'm told) that the horse riders used to take. I never explored it.
FriedDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 03:01 PM   #129
drsmiley
Gnarly Adventurer
 
drsmiley's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Atlanta, Ga.
Oddometer: 252
Hey I'm new to the tag game, went and found Chunt's tag this morning and cannot get pics to upload to site, any suggestions.
drsmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 03:14 PM   #130
inspectorpacket OP
back in the saddle again.
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Metro Atl
Oddometer: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by drsmiley
Hey I'm new to the tag game, went and found Chunt's tag this morning and cannot get pics to upload to site, any suggestions.
Welcome.... and glad to have a new participant..

The thing to do is get a smugmug or photobucket account, upload the pics to that site, then get the url of the photo and use the "Insert Image" icon and paste the URL into it... Easy peasy.
inspectorpacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 03:42 PM   #131
phideaux
Beastly Adventurer
 
phideaux's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: NW Georgia
Oddometer: 3,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by inspectorpacket
Welcome.... and glad to have a new participant..

The thing to do is get a smugmug or photobucket account, upload the pics to that site, then get the url of the photo and use the "Insert Image" icon and paste the URL into it... Easy peasy.
Or Flickr.
__________________
Iron Butt Association No. 22913

Mrs. Phideaux to her octogenarian friend when the granny wants to know if she can sit on one of my bikes:

"It's Okay, they only fall over when HE'S on them."


North GA Tag-O-Rama Map
Georgia Tag-O-Rama Map
phideaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 03:57 PM   #132
Chunt
pronounced Sea Hunt!
 
Chunt's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Decatur, GA
Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by drsmiley
Hey I'm new to the tag game, went and found Chunt's tag this morning and cannot get pics to upload to site, any suggestions.
The way I did it was just scroll down to the ATTACH FILES>ADD ATTACHMENTS tab under your message. You have to have the .jpg on your desktop to browse and grab it. You can only put one photo on a post that way, but it works for a tag. Not so good for a ride report with multiples though. Then you DO need the smugmug/Flickr account for lots of cool pics.
Chunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 04:03 PM   #133
Chunt
pronounced Sea Hunt!
 
Chunt's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Decatur, GA
Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriedDuck
Aw man, I used to go climbing at Sand Rock too. I don't remember many of the climb names. A hard 5.12 with Bocephus spray painted at the base, Champagne Jam. My favorite bouldering place ever.

Bummer about the road. There was a trail that continued on past Sand Rock (more than 20 miles I'm told) that the horse riders used to take. I never explored it.
Friedduck. That's the place for sure. Sandrock's changed a bit since the late 80's. It's called Cherokee Rock Village, or something like that now. That may have been the original name anyway. The road's paved and there's a cheesy walkway with handrail down into the main grotto. I think they did that to stop drivers from going all the way into the climbing area. It's ugly the way they did it though. The rock's still great though. Made me wish I'd brought the sticky shoes. Still an exceptional place to climb around on rocks though.
Chunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 04:20 PM   #134
ubergeek71
Gnarly Adventurer
 
ubergeek71's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Buford, GA
Oddometer: 209
I'm gonna have to get in on this.....but sadly, I haven't known not one single thing on here yet!!
ubergeek71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 02:24 PM   #135
shark31
Adventurer
 
shark31's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Piedmont Park
Oddometer: 57


Fernbank Science Center.
__________________
I should have bought a bike YEARS ago!
shark31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014