jallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 01:09 PM   #632
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by jallen
Hell yeah!!! Ride, Mr. Chitown, RIDE!

Hell yes! Now that my GS is all fixed up I'm going to stop taking it easy on it and see what it can really do!

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 01:19 PM   #633
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTown
Hell yes! Now that my GS is all fixed up I'm going to stop taking it easy on it and see what it can really do!

Enjoy the ride Finn!!
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 01:30 PM   #634
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,294
Excellent. Not to hijack your thread but you can add Ozzies BMW in Chico to your list. Great people.

Maybe we should have a thread for dealer reviews/reports. People could keep track and have info on who is good, bad, indifferent. NOT HERE.... but a new thread. Hmmm.
Old 09-25-2009, 01:39 PM   #635
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Feel free to post that threads link you're starting about dealerships here...

It's nice to know...

LostRider.com
Old 09-25-2009, 02:00 PM   #636
cheelleebutt
Clueless Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Update from the road....
.... Turns out the valve cover is slightly bent....
Awesome! It's cool that it's nothing big. It's also awesome that you know the exact cause of it all. That means we'll get to see a lot more of your deradevil stunt riding in the near future.

Ride on bro! Go go go go go!!!!! Bring back all those photos so we can all sit in awe and be jealous at the same time.

Dam! I'm stuck at work again.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:06 PM   #637
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,294
Quote:
Feel free to post that threads link you're starting about dealerships here...

It's nice to know...

Here we go - http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=509921
Old 09-25-2009, 03:06 PM   #638
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Bike's done, I'm out!

The only thing that I'll need to replace is the steering head bearings... now that they're adjusted properly there's a notchy feeling...

See you on the other side of the continental divide!

LostRider.com
Old 09-25-2009, 03:42 PM   #639
Trailrider_77
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Subscriber

Just read this RR. Stunning photography and great stories.
Looking forward to your next post!

2007 KTM 990 Adv
Trailrider_77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 04:15 PM   #640
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,204
ChiTown:

Dang ... I was hoping to catch you before you left Gina's ...
I just had the fuel sender fix done, and I SWEAR the fuel pump is now louder It's not so loud that it's really annoying, just that since I couldn't hear it before ... now I wonder...

I was gonna have you ask the pros about that one!

Let us know if yours sounds louder!

Jim
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 01:08 AM   #641
GoneAgain
Huh?

Oddometer: 1,568
(cant find the popcorn!!)

glad your back on the 800!
(only cus i got one)

just remember you WILL start leakin oil again... but now you know why you dont need to sweat it.. just enjoy!
GoneAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 10:59 AM   #642
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,702
I'm glad you are back on the road with the 800. Your experience with the Chicago BMW shows how unprepared BMW NA is, or can be, in supporting their customer through its dealership network. One bad experience, on that interface between dealer and owner, in the name of the service manager, one person, can produce a negative impact with a disproportionally large ripple effect. In terms of products and customer support, I think this is more relevant with a motorcycle than it is with a car or an appliance. Because a motorcycle is more of a personal good in my opinion.
Lion

Quote:
Update from the road....

I'm at Gina's BMW in Iowa City and am so glad I've held out to have them work on my bike!
The tech just went over things with me about the GS.... Turns out the valve cover is slightly bent.... he set it on a piece of granite to check that it's square. Talk about thoroughness!
They don't have a spare valve cover but are replacing all the gaskets, and if it leaks again we know the culprit...

He's gone over my bike with a fine tooth comb it seems, tightening stuff, cleaning and greasing things, replacing brake fluids (no charge), and so on.

My hate for BMW is slowly fading... remember that good as your last gig comment of mine?....

My valves at 21,000 miles are still in spec (15 minute labor charge since they already have the top off)

I have been explained in detail the cause of the stalling in rain, and they're just waiting for the fix from BMW....
They have the gas gauge thingy recall to fix still but seem to be moving along quite efficiently.

I spooned on a new Shinko 705 yesterday (rear bearings felt good and got new grease), and they're installing a TKC-80 front tire for me, so I'm really ready for some dirty fun in Colorado and Utah!

The plan is to iron butt it from here to Colorado tonight putting me in thick of good DS riding for the next 3 days... Then off to work in LA!

After sitting here talking with Gina, trading dealer stories and hearing why and how this dealer was started, along with her 20+ years of riding south of the border stories( good info and contacts for my planned ride south) , I feel right at home and am glad to have a brilliant Midwest dealer to compliment my other favorite dealer - A&S cycle in Sac.
I guess if I want to stay happy I'll just have to ride to one of the two dealers for work!

Done and done!

Oh yeah FUCK CHICAGO BMW! They need to send their employee's out here to learn how things are done!
Lion BR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 02:35 PM   #643
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

As planned I'm in denver....

Here's my SPOT tracking page...

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/g...d1xar9pWnQ8voU

Into the wild!

LostRider.com
Old 09-26-2009, 10:20 PM   #644
Boogie
This way...

Oddometer: 31
Hey Finn,

Sorry I missed you while you were on the XXX Coast! Are you bringing the GS with you to PP or shipping it from CA? I would love to see your ride. I know JB was looking to bring his GS with him as well. I'll have to look for a rental shop if we will have any free time there. It would be great to get away for a night!
Boogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 12:00 AM   #645
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Hello Human internet readers.
Let me introduce myself, my name is GottaSuck, but you can call me GS. I am superior since more than half on the center of attention on the internet since I'm the bike of choice that The One ( Chitown) keeps on riding to far away places.
I became aware of myself on November 28th, 2008, but for some reason my official title says I was born on January 28th, 2009.
I was programmed to be the best Adventure Machine on the planet, but for some reason I keep getting errors. They are not my fault, the humans with a funny accent, and bad taste in music told me so.
I am far superior to other machines since I cost way more and have a blue and white logo on my chest. I am worth far more than the sticker says that was placed on me after I became self aware.
My purpose is to bring smiles to The One, but for some unknown reason, I cannot make these smiles happen enough.
On my first day of work I tried really hard to fullfill my purpose but the power drive metal part broke because one of the humans adjusted it wrong. The One blamed me.
After visiting The Shop, where I saw lots of my cousins I was able to bring many smiles, and was rewarded with turning lots of oxygen into carbon dioxide, even some south of the Tropic of Cancer.
Then after many more smiles, which is my main objective I decided I needed to have my inner mechanics rubbed so I started squirting blood, the same color as all the earth around me in a place The One called Utah. My plan didn't work, The One didn't care about my needs and kept on trying to smile.
Finally, a human rubbed my inners at some place called OK. It was not as gratifying as making The One smile, but felt good. Am I supposed to feel good? I am just a machine. What is good? I like good.
After that there where a few more smiles, but The One left me alone with no purpose for a long time. He would pay for that since without a purpose I have no reason to exist. I like to exist.
Finally The One gave me a purpose again, but I was not believing it would last so I had my propulsion circuit bearings stop working efficiently hoping to be touched again, only to find the humans at a place called Chicago BMW didn't really care about touching me in the right way. They touched me in a way that hurt, making part of a cousin of mine try to work with me. I didn't like it, but with my main directive of bringing smiles I kept going and didn't do anything to help.
When I finally decided I wanted more touching I made The One bring me to a place in a land of 10,000 lakes by making my drive wheel shake.
I like the land of 10,000 lakes, they touched me very nicely and gave me a purpose again.
The One didn't care about my feelings, am I supposed to have feelings? I am aware of myself and I'm supposed to bring smiles and The One to far away places, but The One kept on dropping me in the mud. why would he do that? It does not make logic.
I needed to get back at The One so I waited until he was far away from home and started bleeding again.
He didn't care and kept on trying to smile, taking me to a place where it was bright all the time. I kept on trying to get his attention and finally The One touched my heart, trying to stop the bleeding.
I didn't like it so I kept on bleeding and he surprised me and kept on smiling. I then stopped giving accurate Life Fuel readings.
After many miles I was finally put to rest in a nice place and didn't see The One for an eternity, then he showed up, rubbing, and loving me. Can I be loved as a machine? I'm not supposed to be aware of this but I am. The Creators with the funny accent must have made me special.
I am special.
I thought I could make The One smile again, but when the time came he chose to take my cousin to make him smile instead.

He would pay for that.

When The One and my cousin returned all smiling and happy I was mad.

I thought I was to be left alone, never to serve my purpose when The One plied a bunch of crap on me and set out heading west. I could tell he was not happy, and in return I didn't make him smile.

Then there was Gina.

Gina made me feel good.

Gina touched me in ways I didn't know I liked, in ways I should be touched.

Then The One came back, all smiling and happy.

I took my logic a while to compute it, but I was not full filling my purpose. The One was not smiling while we moved through the rain for an eternity in the Flat Lands.

I wanted to let him know I was hurt so I turned off my fans and overheated, flashing all my warning lights to The One.

It didn't work and he kept on going.

I really wanted to get him back for leaving me for my cousin so today when we were in the Rocky Land of Mountains in some dirt and he was smiling the most I'd seen in a long time, I stopped my clutch from working. Or was it my first gear? I don't remember, I was so angry with The One I forgot exactly what function I shut down. Now he knows.
I am different from the rest like me, I am Aware and have feelings. Maybe The One will learn that I am special and might not follow my main directive all the time. I am Aware, and I will keep letting him know that by making him take me to Gina or the Creators.

I hope this works and I get to get touched again, but I heard The One talking on a little machine about leaving me for the Creators to come get.

The One is now awake and will notice my CanBus connection to his Machine called Air.

I must cease this communication.

LostRider.com