User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2009, 08:13 PM   #691
Just_Jake
You lookin' at me...?

Oddometer: 389
Sorry to hear about your troubles.

I was getting caught up on the last few days of post. I'd hoped our paths would cross, as I'm currently riding in Moab.

Give Ted a call at A&S. See what they can do for you.

And I'm shocked I haven't read someone suggesting it yet. You love your R, and need an adventure bike. R1200GS?

Cheers
Old 09-29-2009, 08:24 PM   #692
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,294
I think I did... :).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank
The best bike out there is the one you own & ride. I've had a bike I didn't love or even like. It sat more than was ridden. Had it for 1500 miles and sold it to get the F8GS. Never looked back.

My bet is that we see a used 12GS surface. Seems more the ChiTown style. With only a few mods it can be made 30-40 lbs lighter and rides the big distances more like the R he had before....
but I still think he should trade in the current broke biatch and try another F8. But it's just one vote in this dictatorship. It's ChiTo's thread... His bike... His decision.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:51 AM   #693
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,146
OK OK.... I'm trying to chill in LA for a minute before I start the TSO Chaos!

Let me back up a little bit and share my road thoughts about my bikes...
Since I'm so behind on the meat of my story - photographs and tales from the road - it will be hard to not bring some of that into this.... explanation.

After my ride to Newfoundland on my R, the first long ride I've had on it since the GS, I had already realized that the GS wasn't really the bike I need.
I banged out 2000+ miles in a matter of days to get into Newoundland with ease on my R with a small screen, greatly enjoying being in clean air without that big plastic thing in front of me.
I had really forgotten how wonderfully perfect this bike is, being distracted by the mighty GS with it's crazy looks that promise Adventure and nice snarling exhaust.
Anyways, when in Newfoundland I toured the tarmac in great comfort at a very nice, safe, pace, taking in all the sights, and then took the R on some gravel roads, two tracks trails like you saw in the video, some hiking trails (yes hiking trails), rode a portion of the T-Rail (an abandoned rail road track with deep gravel) with 4WD ATV's, and various unimproved roads.
This kind of riding is all I want out any 400+ pound bike.... 12R, 12GS, 8GS, KTM 990 or 950, etc, etc.... I mean, I've been in some rougher stuff than this, but really how fun is it picking up a loaded touring bike, no matter what model?
Why do I need 2 bikes that can do the same thing?
The R does the roads substantially better.... With the exception of Mengle Pass, and a COUPLE of other places out of the 23,000 miles on the GS, the R could do it, just maybe not quite as fast in places
The R is perfect, rides wonderfully, 100% reliable, easy maintenance (6,000 mile between oil changes) I can do myself, and is, well, a piece of art that is a modern classic. She's a beauty.

I guess what I'm saying is my love for the R is obvious, for obvious reasons, and I don't need another Touring Adventure bike, I've had the best one for me all along.

As for the GS I have never "abused" it, I just rode it doing the exact thing it's designed for and heavily marketed as doing - Adventure Dual Sport bike. Unfortunately my particular GS has not proven to be able to take what I consider very normal usage.... maybe this transmission issue I'm having now will be fixed and the bike will be all fine and dandy for the rest of time....

SO, knowing I already have a very capable ADV touring bike in my R, and then combined with the ongoing issues in the GS, getting rid of it is the obvious solution..... but I don't know what I'm going to do about the GS, my issues don't fall under any lemon laws, and on the used market I'm going to really get fucked... would you buy my bike?
Maybe there's someone out there who doesn't know of ADVrider.com....

With all that said, once I figure out how to get rid of the GS for many reasons I've decided that the easiest solution to my "what bike" issues, not needing another ADV touring bike, is to change MY location.... so I'm moving to California, and doing what I should have been done a while ago - buying a proper dirt bike instead of trying to have a do-it-all bike with too many compromises.
Take the need to cover great distances out of the equation and this is what I've got. Living here I won't need to do any Iron Butt rides to get into some mountain trail or desert riding, so I won't need to have a 400+pound bike to lug around the trails... My R can fulfill my adv touring needs with light DS riding easily.
An XR450 or 650, KTM 450, etc. can be my local (entire SW) exploring bike packed super light....... then maybe I'll need some kind of classic 60's bike to look cool on, and then a supermotard bike for the track and canyons... and then maybe Ural... does it ever end?

I'm really wanting to get this whole bike discussion/drama over with and get on with my frikin' Newfoundland story... a happy story.
I start work tomorrow and will have time in the evenings in my hotel room so expect a real update very soon.

For those of you considering a 8GS, don't think that what's happened to my GS is normal, because it's really not from what I've read.... I just happen to have a big fucking mouth.... go over to Beasts or that other f-something site and sift through the crap and come up with your own opinion whether this bike is for you.
If I can only have one, I choose the R1200R.

LostRider.com

Lost Rider screwed with this post 09-30-2009 at 11:59 AM
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 11:07 AM   #694
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,294
As always... Well put.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:11 AM   #695
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,322
A well-reasoned decision and choice. Where in CA are you going to move?

Looking forward to the rest of the report!
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 11:43 AM   #696
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank
As always... Well put.

Thanks, good to know that I can still be reasonable when I'm not all pissed off.

Yeti, SoCal, between LA and you somewhere. With in 2 hours from a major airport, but not in the city so to speak.

LostRider.com
Old 09-30-2009, 12:07 PM   #697
Stravoxylo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
You got rationale to spare man. Good call on the move!

Your bike "wish list" is practically identical to my own. It never ends, which is great. I know I go through phases of I'll take one of each, and then simplify to one "do-it-all".... only to start the process all over again.

Good luck on the move!
Stravoxylo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 12:35 PM   #698
cheelleebutt
Clueless Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTown

Yeti, SoCal, between LA and you somewhere. With in 2 hours from a major airport, but not in the city so to speak.
Welcome to SoCal. When are you moving in? There's one thing I can say about living here, you can easily ride 365 days without a problem. Snow? What's that? Not that you'll have problems with snow as you've proven your capabilities in your pictures time and time again. You just have to watch out for the crazies on the freeway. You know, the people in living room sized SUVs that think they can out turn and out accelerate a 12R. But I'm sure you're all too familiar with psycho cagers.

Winter? What's that? cumulative there is probably 1 month out of the year when the sun has a hard time showing its face. For the folks that don't live in SoCal, pardon my tease. I don't mean to be an arshe.

If I can be so bold... My recommendation to you as an initiating ride in SoCal... Pine Canyon road, Gorman, Frazier Park, Cerro Noroeste, 33 Hwy south to Ojai, and then which ever way you go to head back to where you're living. Trust me, it's a beautiful ride. If you don't mind having a slow poke along I wouldn't mind meeting and join you. I can never get enough of Cerro Noroeste.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:51 PM   #699
cheelleebutt
Clueless Adventurer

Quote:

Thanks, good to know that I can still be reasonable when I'm not all pissed off.
Yap! It's obviously you still have a perfectly good head on your shoulders.
Old 09-30-2009, 01:04 PM   #700
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheelleebutt
Welcome to SoCal. When are you moving in? There's one thing I can say about living here, you can easily ride 365 days without a problem. Snow? What's that? Not that you'll have problems with snow as you've proven your capabilities in your pictures time and time again. You just have to watch out for the crazies on the freeway. You know, the people in living room sized SUVs that think they can out turn and out accelerate a 12R. But I'm sure you're all too familiar with psycho cagers.

Winter? What's that? cumulative there is probably 1 month out of the year when the sun has a hard time showing its face. For the folks that don't live in SoCal, pardon my tease. I don't mean to be an arshe.

If I can be so bold... My recommendation to you as an initiating ride in SoCal... Pine Canyon road, Gorman, Frazier Park, Cerro Noroeste, 33 Hwy south to Ojai, and then which ever way you go to head back to where you're living. Trust me, it's a beautiful ride. If you don't mind having a slow poke along I wouldn't mind meeting and join you. I can never get enough of Cerro Noroeste.
Thanks!

Yeah, I'm moving here even though there's no winter (I like), or seasons really, I'll just have to get used to the perfectness of SoCal...
The best part of living in SoCal I can see, is that I'm only a 6 hour ride to Northern Cal.
I want to really get off the beaten path on two wheels, and I don't mean the kind of path any tourist with an SUV can go on... for that I need a much smaller bike, and even though I'm a bit crazy when it comes to long miles I'm not stupid enough to think I'll want to do 8,000+ mile rides on a thumper (since I've drank a lot of the Boxer engine koolaid that is...).
I have a few other reasons to choose this area, but I'll save that for The Story.

Thanks for the ride tip, I'll have to check it out. Hopefully the GS will give me 10 more days of riding to work (splitting lanes at highway speed is INSANE, but fun! another great thing about cali) and maybe a short run out of the city, then she's going to A&S to get fixed. Again. The problem comes and goes, seems to be in first gear not engaging sometimes (like the clutch is bad, but it's not) and while cruising in 6th, the gear readout on the panel bounces between 5th and 6th.... weird.

LostRider.com
Old 09-30-2009, 01:24 PM   #701
spenserj87
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
[welcome] to CA - good call. I would think you'd fit perfect in any number of areas around LA or NoSD Co. Of course, I don't think it is all about the roads and seasons as you alluded to....

I've always thought the R12 is a perfect combination with something like a Yamaha WR250X - lots to choose from in that range. You'll get plenty of good opinions and advice I'm sure.

As you say, NorCal is not far away...and our seasons are a bit more distinct up here. Lot's of good mountain/desert riding in between.

Have fun with the tour! Looking forward to reading the full RR.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:08 PM   #702
bowzer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Good idea, get out before the Olympics!
bowzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 03:16 PM   #703
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,322
Quote:

Cool, lots of good riding around here. Stick as close to the coast as you can unless you enjoy heat. Just sayin'

Quote:
I have a few other reasons to choose this area, but I'll save that for The Story.

You keep alluding to this. Too bad you don't want to live in San Diego, my neighbor Erik just moved to Miami for (I suspect) the same reason.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 03:37 PM   #704
cheelleebutt
Clueless Adventurer

Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS
...Stick as close to the coast as you can unless you enjoy heat.
Oh come on... 107F in the Mojave desert is not that bad. ...but it's a dry heat. The central valley only gets up to 114F.

cheelleebutt screwed with this post 09-30-2009 at 03:42 PM
cheelleebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 03:40 PM   #705
cheelleebutt
Clueless Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS
...You keep alluding to this....
Uh oh!!! Farkle alert! The most expensive life long lasting type of farkle.

Been there... still doing time.